Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:28:14 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

CheeseheadTV wrote:
After breaking two bones and undergoing two surgeries, Derek Sherrod has not played for the Packers since 2011. He spent all of last season on either the PUP or the Injured Reserve list. With depth at the tackle position thin and young, Sherrod — who is still on the PUP list — could be exactly what the Packers need.

In his press conference Tuesday morning, Packers GM Ted Thompson was asked about Sherrod.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:34:08 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 382
Applause Received: 1,027

Hmmmmm.. From today, lets say he might have have some work to do to achieve that. But to be consistent, the Packers under this staff seem to be consistent on under predicting the down time for their players.

http://vine.co/v/hO29g9VuDhA
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:38:07 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Would Uncle Teddy ever say what is really on his mind? If Sherrod was not able to play this year I expect Ted to tell us right up until he is put on the IR that Derek is going to play.

UserPostedImage

DoddPower on 8/20/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:58:26 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Think Would be great if he can. It's got to be frustrating for an athlete to be watching that long. Of course, the money is pretty good so that helps.Rolling Eyes
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline sschind  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:57:05 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Would Uncle Teddy ever say what is really on his mind? If Sherrod was not able to play this year I expect Ted to tell us right up until he is put on the IR that Derek is going to play.

I think any good GM would. Why tip your hand? Other teams do not have to know what your team situation is. What if you are considering a trade, would you want your potential trading partner that your guy is done for the year or that you expect him back? If they know he is done it may make them hold out for more. Of course any other good GM would probably see through this but why make it easy for them?

I've learned a long time ago never to believe anything that comes out of an NFL GM or coaches mouth. They may be telling the truth but chances are just as good that it is a smokescreen.

I'd rather have a guy that played things close to the vest than a loose talker who kept me, and everyone else, informed of every as it is going on.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline CaliforniaCheez  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:35:20 PM(UTC)
CaliforniaCheez

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 130

If he is on the PUP he will will not be practicing.

He had a lot to learn before he got rusty.

He is so far behind he will likely never be a starter.

Next season he has to show something to catch on somewhere in the NFL.
blank
yooperfan on 8/22/2013(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:47:25 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 353

Calicheeze has it right.
I think Sherrod is done. How much time/money
Has been wasted on players that have ended
Up never "earning" there money and contributed
On the Packers?
To me, if Sherrod doesn't contribute big time,
Get rid of him and use the money/roster spot
For someone that will.
Just my humble opinion.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan on 8/22/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:20:08 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I think any good GM would. Why tip your hand? Other teams do not have to know what your team situation is. What if you are considering a trade, would you want your potential trading partner that your guy is done for the year or that you expect him back? If they know he is done it may make them hold out for more. Of course any other good GM would probably see through this but why make it easy for them?

I've learned a long time ago never to believe anything that comes out of an NFL GM or coaches mouth. They may be telling the truth but chances are just as good that it is a smokescreen.

I'd rather have a guy that played things close to the vest than a loose talker who kept me, and everyone else, informed of every as it is going on.

I am not disagreeing with you. I am not criticizing Uncle Teddy. I simply said he would not tell us anything other than he expects Sherrod to suit up this season.

UserPostedImage

Offline Wade  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:41:02 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 644
Applause Received: 657

I'm not ready to give up on Sherrod yet. I still remember Mike Flanagan.

But I think expecting anything from him beyond spot duty this year is optimism akin to thinking that Daryn Colledge will come back and anchor the line.

For the first 2 1/2 reasons given by CalCheez.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Laser Gunns  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:28:07 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 223

the only way Sherrod ever contributes to this team is if:

1. He is somehow healthy.. which, looks more and more like it will never happen..

2. Bulaga, Bahtiari, Newhouse, Barclay all get hurt or are incapable of filling in (already playing the other OT position)
Mike McCarthy and Co. put a high value on "experience" (despite skill level, and being a 1st round pick) and Sherrod is well below all of these people.

Hell, they might put move Lang to OT at that point because we all know Mike McCarthy love moving those lineman around!

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:35:07 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,366
Applause Received: 600

Sherrod will be fine.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20 on 8/22/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:37:22 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,862
Applause Received: 430

If Sherrod ever truly gets healthy, which obviously is a big if, I think he will have as much of a chance of contributing as he did in his rookie season. He'll have to put in a lot of work to get back up to game speed and such, but at least the mental side of things should be a little easier after a couple years of watching film and studying the scheme. After awhile of competing and providing depth, it's possible he could steal a starting spot at either left or right tackle, especially if an injury occurs.

If he's healthy, I think he'll practice and play his way onto the field, eventually. It all depends on whether or not he'll ever truly be "healthy" enough to be an effective player again. He has the intelligence and the ability, he just needs his body to allow him to show it.
nerdmann on 8/22/2013(UTC)
Offline porky88  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:13:17 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 348

All it takes is one injury in November and Sherrod has a chance to contribute. I think they were phasing out Marshall Newhouse late in 2011 in favor of Derek Sherrod. Obviously, Chad Clifton came back, but I have a hunch they were preparing Sherrod to play in place of Clifton. It’s all speculation, but I think they’ve had reservations regarding Newhouse for a while now, and that’s why they’re still not counting out Sherrod.
Offline sschind  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:24:37 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I am not disagreeing with you. I am not criticizing Uncle Teddy. I simply said he would not tell us anything other than he expects Sherrod to suit up this season.

My bad, I misunderstood. I'm still trying to figure out who hates who on this forum and for some reason I had you pegged as a Ted Thompson hater. The truth is I read the posts and most of the time I don't even read to see who wrote them unless something really sticks out. Like Uncle Teddy posts.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:34:57 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,366
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
My bad, I misunderstood. I'm still trying to figure out who hates who on this forum and for some reason I had you pegged as a Ted Thompson hater. The truth is I read the posts and most of the time I don't even read to see who wrote them unless something really sticks out. Like Uncle Teddy posts.

I'm the same way. I respond to what is communicated, not the person who is making the statement.

wpr hates me.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed