Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 12:19:59 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,292
Applause Received: 568

JSO

Quote:
"They didn't even know that he needed another surgery until this spring. All of last year was wasted. That could have been from complications from the first surgery, but it was something that was left undone.

"They couldn't figure it out ... that his bones did not heal right together."

From Sherrod's dad and brother.

Quote:
Louis Sherrod estimated that his son "should be playing in a few more weeks.

Quote:
The best guess is that Sherrod will remain on the PUP list for the first six weeks of the regular season. Then he could start practicing and play in as many as 10 games.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 5:25:05 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,725
Applause Received: 1,310

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
My bad, I misunderstood. I'm still trying to figure out who hates who on this forum and for some reason I had you pegged as a Ted Thompson hater. The truth is I read the posts and most of the time I don't even read to see who wrote them unless something really sticks out. Like Uncle Teddy posts.

I don't hate Uncle Teddy. I may mock him some time (thus calling him "Uncle Teddy") but I think he is a very good GM. I am certain he has forgotten 5 times as much about football as I have cumulatively learned.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#18 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 5:28:46 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I'm the same way. I respond to what is communicated, not the person who is making the statement.

wpr hates me.

nerdmann I am cut to the quick. I don't hate you. Never have. I may be condescending, I may taunt or do a lot of other crap to you but I don't hate you. You are the tabasco for our eggs. Life would be bland without your posts.

BTW I don't eat tabasco on my eggs. Puke nevertheless you have to keep up your keen insight.

UserPostedImage

Offline Wade  
#19 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 5:56:21 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 645

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

BTW I don't eat tabasco on my eggs.

You should, though.

Either that or piri piri sauce.

Ketchup only if the eggs are old, though.

Big Grin

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 8/23/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#20 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 6:06:08 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
You should, though.

Either that or piri piri sauce.

Ketchup only if the eggs are old, though.

Big Grin

ketchup never. i gave that up as a kid.

edit- so that we remain on task- Back in the early days of this year I thought Sherrod would make a comeback and play this year. As times slips by and we approach the beginning of GB's run for yet another championship I am not so sure. Naturally I have nothing to base it on. I have no facts what so ever. Only a feeling that sicne they have not taken Sherrod off the PUP and let him get a few preseason reps under his belt it just seems as if he is going to have to sit out the whole season. After a stint on the PUP he has a few weeks in which to practice but it takes time to get back into the flow of things. If it was easy to walk in and suit up and start blocking DL nearly anyone could do it. It takes a lot of time to get the footwork down. To get into a rhythm with the other OLmen. To be in "football shape". I don't think the time between coming off the PUP and when GB has to activate him is enough time.

And I base this opinion on all my years of sitting on my butt in front of the tv watching other guys run out on to the field and take on each other.

Edited by user Friday, August 23, 2013 6:45:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline DoddPower  
#21 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 8:30:57 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,761
Applause Received: 416

ketchup never. i gave that up as a kid.

edit- so that we remain on task- Back in the early days of this year I thought Sherrod would make a comeback and play this year. As times slips by and we approach the beginning of GB's run for yet another championship I am not so sure. Naturally I have nothing to base it on. I have no facts what so ever. Only a feeling that sicne they have not taken Sherrod off the PUP and let him get a few preseason reps under his belt it just seems as if he is going to have to sit out the whole season. After a stint on the PUP he has a few weeks in which to practice but it takes time to get back into the flow of things. If it was easy to walk in and suit up and start blocking DL nearly anyone could do it. It takes a lot of time to get the footwork down. To get into a rhythm with the other OLmen. To be in "football shape". I don't think the time between coming off the PUP and when GB has to activate him is enough time.

And I base this opinion on all my years of sitting on my butt in front of the tv watching other guys run out on to the field and take on each other.

If he's truly healthy, I think they'll find a spot on the roster for him, probably due to someone going on injured reserve. Sherrod may not get back up to football speed until the end of the season or even the playoffs, but if he does, it would be worth it. Create a roster space for him, and just let him practice with the scout team and such. There could come a moment in the playoffs where he is needed.

Again, this all has to do with whether or not he can truly get healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on injured reserve, either. But if he's healthy, he would be worth a roster spot so that he could practice and eventually get back into shape, even if it's a few months after granting him a spot.

I still think Sherrod is the Packers best hope for quality offensive tackle depth beyond what they currently have. It's unlikely they find something much better off the waiver wire after cuts, but stranger things have happened. They aren't likely to have the raw talent Sherrod has, but hopefully they'll at least be healthy.

Offline Pack93z  
#22 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:21:33 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,016

Sheds some light on why this process has taken so long...

Quote:
Derek Sherrod’s family sheds light on his long recovery

Posted by Josh Alper on August 23, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT

The Packers haven’t had much to say about the status of 2011 first-round pick Derek Sherrod since putting him on the PUP list at the start of camp, but the tackle’s family is filling in some blanks to help explain why Sherrod remains off the field since breaking his leg in December 2011.

Sherrod broke both the tibia and fibula in his right leg and had surgery to repair the injury a short time later. He was on the PUP list through last year’s camp and into the regular season before a brief return to practice showed he wasn’t ready to return. His father, Louis Sherrod, explained that his son’s leg couldn’t bear weight and MRIs revealed an ankle problem that required further surgery this year.

“It was just complications from the way that the surgery was performed,” said Dezmond Sherrod, Derek’s older brother, via Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “They affected other mechanisms within the leg. The tibia and fibula were broken the first time, but that affects how your knee and ankle interact. When you have something off in one area, it can affect other areas. After you have surgery, only time will tell how things work out. It wasn’t until he was ready to go back on the field and starting running and doing things, putting more pressure and body weight on it … that’s when he noticed things weren’t where they should be as far as the timetable when to get back on the field.”

The Sherrods have no ill will toward the original surgeons, explaining that complications arise from emergency surgery and that they were happy doctors operated as promptly as they did. Louis Sherrod thinks his son is a few weeks away from getting on the field, which suggests that he’ll miss at least the first six weeks of the regular season on the PUP list while he works his way back into playing shape.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#23 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 9:31:15 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Sheds some light on why this process has taken so long...

he is not the first guy to need more than one surgery.

UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#24 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 12:38:18 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,292
Applause Received: 568

nerdmann I am cut to the quick. I don't hate you. Never have. I may be condescending, I may taunt or do a lot of other crap to you but I don't hate you. You are the tabasco for our eggs. Life would be bland without your posts.

BTW I don't eat tabasco on my eggs. Puke nevertheless you have to keep up your keen insight.

Hahaha, I love you man.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 8/23/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed