Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:57:40 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Received: 97

LombardiAve wrote:
Last week, Eddie Lacy ran through sizeable holes, he was easily reaching the second level, dragging linebackers and defensive backs for yards after contact. This week, Lacy and the rest of the Packers running backs were nothing short of stymied by the Seattle Seahawks' stout defense. Should we be alarmed that Lacy's run totals [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline DarkaneRules  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:10:43 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

Rodgers ran a lot of no huddle and chose more pass and Vince took most of the running lanes himself. Not worried. It is average right now but it will improve.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:22:47 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 666

Quote:
But consider that the majority of these runs came with Graham Harrell as the quarterback and they were against the Seahawks’ first team defense. Clearly, they had their ears pinned back and were coming after the Packers run game because they knew that Harrell, who was cut by the team today, was not going to beat them with his arm.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 2 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 8/25/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 8/25/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:32:34 AM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

I'm guessing that most of the people pushing the panic button right about now are the same ones who were doing all the chest thumping after last week.

The simple fact is that it was a preseaon game and if this is the team (personnel wise) that is on the field in any regular season game against any team we are pretty much going to be toast.

Should we be concerned? of course, there is reason for concern at anything but not worry. To me worry implies that you think there will be problems. Concern means you acknowledge there could be problems. Similar, but not the same.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:45:58 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

I'm not worried. Because it's preseason.

I'll be concerned if they don't use a balanced attack though. Hopefully we were just getting a heavy dose of Evaluation Friday. I'm gonna trust in what Mike McCarthy said before the season that we will be better running the ball. And he in fact will run the ball more this year.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen all Franklin can do. I feel bad for the kid, kinda for Lacy last game too. He has been put into bad positions during this preseason to least succeed. There is evident growing pains. But I think Franklin plays very sound. I just wish they would get him the ball in space more. I'd like to see Rodgers throw him a couple screens/swing passes.

I'm not worried, we wanna see more production even for preseason, but to write off the running game yet is pretty far fetched.

Offline nyrpack  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:49:42 AM(UTC)
nyrpack

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)
Location: long island, ny

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 64

not worried because lacy was not going to run on a defense that didnt have to worry about arod, if arod is in there they dont key to the run and rodgers picks them apart or hands it off to lacy !!
jimmy b.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 8/25/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:23:05 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,096
Applause Received: 530

No need to be worried because most of us know the Packers aren't going to have a great running game any time soon. They just need it to be decent, and the offense will be very tough to stop. I don't think anyone truly expect the Packers to be a great running team, especially behind this finesse offensive line.
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:04:19 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 321



I think the Packers need to be worried about their OL overall.

Every offense has some weaknesses, but most of the Packers weakness can be over come with schemes or tricks... but the major one that can't be is the OL.


I think a team with a very good (or great) DL can still run over the Packers OL like the Giants did last year, holding the Packers offense to 10 points giving the playmakers almost no room to make plays.


Or worse a team with very good and physical DBs, dares the Packers to pass the ball, and the DBs bump and bully the WRs all day, the WRs not willing and/or able to get off the physical blocks Rodgers has no where to go with it, which lets the defense focus on the running game. (which is what the Seahawks did last year).

Even before the horrible calls by the refs... I was disappointed the WRs couldn't get of physical coverage better than that. I was honestly wondering if getting away from the bump and run with the Packers CBs, was making the Packers WR softer because they weren't used to it anymore.

Of course part of that is because Mike McCarthy fell into the Seahawks game plan trap... showing coaches a run D look, and getting the other coaches to call a LOT more pass plays than run plays, so the defense knows what's coming and don't have to think but just attack.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:15:45 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 666

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I think the Packers need to be worried about their OL overall.

Every offense has some weaknesses, but most of the Packers weakness can be over come with schemes or tricks... but the major one that can't be is the OL.


I think a team with a very good (or great) DL can still run over the Packers OL like the Giants did last year, holding the Packers offense to 10 points giving the playmakers almost no room to make plays.


Or worse a team with very good and physical DBs, dares the Packers to pass the ball, and the DBs bump and bully the WRs all day, the WRs not willing and/or able to get off the physical blocks Rodgers has no where to go with it, which lets the defense focus on the running game. (which is what the Seahawks did last year).

Even before the horrible calls by the refs... I was disappointed the WRs couldn't get of physical coverage better than that. I was honestly wondering if getting away from the bump and run with the Packers CBs, was making the Packers WR softer because they weren't used to it anymore.

Of course part of that is because Mike McCarthy fell into the Seahawks game plan trap... showing coaches a run D look, and getting the other coaches to call a LOT more pass plays than run plays, so the defense knows what's coming and don't have to think but just attack.


Jordy Nelson is a big, strong WR. He's gonna get off that press coverage much better than these undersized scrubs we've been playing. Cobb is a little smaller, but he's at least got a few years of experience. They'll be fine.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:17:06 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 666

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
I'm not worried. Because it's preseason.

I'll be concerned if they don't use a balanced attack though. Hopefully we were just getting a heavy dose of Evaluation Friday. I'm gonna trust in what Mike McCarthy said before the season that we will be better running the ball. And he in fact will run the ball more this year.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen all Franklin can do. I feel bad for the kid, kinda for Lacy last game too. He has been put into bad positions during this preseason to least succeed. There is evident growing pains. But I think Franklin plays very sound. I just wish they would get him the ball in space more. I'd like to see Rodgers throw him a couple screens/swing passes.

I'm not worried, we wanna see more production even for preseason, but to write off the running game yet is pretty far fetched.



Harrell won't get any snaps this last game. These backs should get a decent opportunity.

Agree though, I'd LOVE to see Franklin in space.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:33:52 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 7/28/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 439

Until we actually SEE good results Ina
real game, I will be concerned.
Only results in the running game will
make me relax.
Until then, it's all unknown.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:56:54 PM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

Other posts tonight have me in a very optimistic mood about the OL.

(Don't worry, I don't expect it to last. I probably will return to my usual rantings about the OL and "TT's Achilles heel" as soon as I see a game this year.

But for now, I'm assuming that the combination of Rodgers' evasiveness and Lacey's running ability will ensure the Rodgers remains healthy and that an improved Finley will make up for the overall step downward in the WR positions.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:31:40 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 666

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Other posts tonight have me in a very optimistic mood about the OL.

(Don't worry, I don't expect it to last. I probably will return to my usual rantings about the OL and "TT's Achilles heel" as soon as I see a game this year.

But for now, I'm assuming that the combination of Rodgers' evasiveness and Lacey's running ability will ensure the Rodgers remains healthy and that an improved Finley will make up for the overall step downward in the WR positions.


We're starting our #3 and #4 Ts. All things considered, we're doing well.

We've got Newhouse as a swing T. I expect Sherrod to be available after week 6. (That's how long the PUP lasts, correct?) And then there's Datko. Or is there? Looks like he just flat out isn't panning out.

On the inside, we've got Van Roten (who is a scrub himself) and a couple other scrubs, who will probably be PSd. I don't like the depth there, but I do believe Ted will pick up a backup C.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:33:41 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I think the Packers need to be worried about their OL overall.

Every offense has some weaknesses, but most of the Packers weakness can be over come with schemes or tricks... but the major one that can't be is the OL.


I think a team with a very good (or great) DL can still run over the Packers OL like the Giants did last year, holding the Packers offense to 10 points giving the playmakers almost no room to make plays.


Or worse a team with very good and physical DBs, dares the Packers to pass the ball, and the DBs bump and bully the WRs all day, the WRs not willing and/or able to get off the physical blocks Rodgers has no where to go with it, which lets the defense focus on the running game. (which is what the Seahawks did last year).

Even before the horrible calls by the refs... I was disappointed the WRs couldn't get of physical coverage better than that. I was honestly wondering if getting away from the bump and run with the Packers CBs, was making the Packers WR softer because they weren't used to it anymore.

Of course part of that is because Mike McCarthy fell into the Seahawks game plan trap... showing coaches a run D look, and getting the other coaches to call a LOT more pass plays than run plays, so the defense knows what's coming and don't have to think but just attack.


Let's not forget The Seahawk game still had "the refs", these guys didn't have a clue what to call, Seattle along with 49r's were much more physical because they could get away with it.

Recievers were being engaged all over the field.

I'm not a fan of all the new rules, but when they are enforced correctly, The Packers have a huge advantage over most teams.

The running game will be fine, when The Packers actually put their 1st offense on the field.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
thanks Post received 1 applause.
beast on 8/25/2013(UTC)
Offline beast  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:55:30 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 321

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Jordy Nelson is a big, strong WR. He's gonna get off that press coverage much better than these undersized scrubs we've been playing. Cobb is a little smaller, but he's at least got a few years of experience. They'll be fine.


I think you misunderstood me... I wasn't talking about the Seahawks perseason game... I was talking about the fail mary week 3 of last season game.

Big strong Jordy seemed to fail to get off the press of big strong CBs in that game...

James Jones got off the press in that game (and Boykins shown he can physical get off press).
I thought Jordy would get off of it... but he didn't do a very good job of it in that game.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Let's not forget The Seahawk game still had "the refs", these guys didn't have a clue what to call, Seattle along with 49r's were much more physical because they could get away with it.

Recievers were being engaged all over the field.

I'm not a fan of all the new rules, but when they are enforced correctly, The Packers have a huge advantage over most teams.

The running game will be fine, when The Packers actually put their 1st offense on the field.


That's very true too... Packers WRs did seem like they were trying to play by the normal rules more... where as the Seahawks (and Packers DBs) didn't seem to care as much and tried to get away with extra stuff since they had the back-up refs in there.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:57:43 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

We need more 325+ pounders to push guys around.

Who's by far our best offensive lineman? Who has been by far our most consistant?

Josh Sitton

I love him because he rarely gets moved. Guy is big and strong. Just what I like in Offensive lineman.

T.J. Lang is pretty much in the same mold as him. I like him a lot, he's just too damn inconsistent.

We tried to get bigger at the position the last few years. Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, Datko That's about it.

3 of those 4 have been banged up.

If I were the Packers, idc if they get Bulaga and Sherrod back as healthy as they can be next year, GET GUYS THAT ARE STRONG and can push guys up field.

Who has a finesse offensive line anymore? You can still have big players and run the zone scheme.. I mean come on... how hard is it to double team block and move up field? I'm no offensive lineman, but big fellas are able to move well too.

The best big guys they have that have a chance to making this team this year is Lane Taylor and Andrew Datko(imo tons of potential)

They are pretty lucky they snatched Bakhtiari because he's probably one of the most athletic lineman in the draft. When he grows into his body more and more he can become a very good OLman.


Look who the Bears got. Kyle Long. THAT GUY IS HUGE. They pretty much got better because of his size..

Tennessee got Chance Warmack.. That guy probably is the best guard I've seen in years. HE'S HUGE AS WELL. Need I say another Alabama Tackle that got drafted by San Diego...

Take a chance Ted Thompson. Draft 2+ Big offensive lineman next year. See how much better your team will be.

That's my only pet peave. Sometimes we draft for Size, Speed, and Strength. Most of the time we draft players that fit our system. Which is fine! But anyone can learn a system..

The 2 positions imo that lacks size on this team is Saftey and Offensive Line. I swear to god if we had size in that secondary next to Burnett, we'd be a hell of a lot better. Get rid of Jennings. McMillian is fine, JUST DRAFT SOME SAFTEYS!


Offline blueleopard  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 12:09:36 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/22/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 72

We have an awful offensive line. Lacy isn't going to change that.

I am expecting no more and no less than an average year running the football.

And that's just fine because we've just been pisspoor in that area ever since Rodgers became our QB.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline beast  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 9:45:18 AM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 321

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
T.J. Lang is pretty much in the same mold as him. I like him a lot, he's just too damn inconsistent.

I REALLY like Lang... but the guy is SO looking like an OT/OG tweener that fits in at neither place. Lang has an OG body but his natural style is that of an OT. I thought he might be able to become a good RT like Tausher but he didn't, partly because when they give him shots at RT he's already banged up.

In the NFC Champs game against the Bears, Clifton got banged and was out for three drives. Lang came in and most people remember the first drive where Mike McCarthy called a lot of pass plays and Peppers was burning Lang. But not many people the next two drives... one drive it was pretty much a stale mate with neither getting push, and the other was ALL Lang as he pushing Peppers backwards on run plays. But I don't think Lang is going to get another healthy shot at OT.

Part of me is starting to think Lang might be an over sized FB. He moves very well for his size and at times has been GREAT at getting to the second level and taking out LBers. And it's a goal line Package I REALLY have wanted to see.
Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
Who has a finesse offensive line anymore? You can still have big players and run the zone scheme.. I mean come on... how hard is it to double team block and move up field? I'm no offensive lineman, but big fellas are able to move well too.

As a former OL, I can say harder than most think. Also I hear a lot of fans say it's about size and speed... I very much disagree with that. It's a lot more quickness, acting as one unit and mental muti-tasking/reacting skills.

And I agree with you, big players can have all that stuff as well, if they have quickness and mental parts down.


Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
Look who the Bears got. Kyle Long. THAT GUY IS HUGE. They pretty much got better because of his size..

Take a chance Ted Thompson. Draft 2+ Big offensive lineman next year. See how much better your team will be.


Bears also got Tramon Williams cousin, who's earn the starting RT job, he's raw but in a couple years he and Long could be very tough.

One thing that has surprised me (on both sides of the ball) Packers don't seem to care about the length of linemen as much as other teams. Every year I hear the Packers are going to take a prototypical 3-4 DE (aka a guy with a lot of length normally 6'4" or taller that's about 300 pounds) almost every year they don't... other than maybe Datone Jones but weight wise he's still light.

Same with OL. They go for OT/OG tweeners most of the time.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
That's my only pet peave. Sometimes we draft for Size, Speed, and Strength. Most of the time we draft players that fit our system. Which is fine! But anyone can learn a system..

The 2 positions imo that lacks size on this team is Saftey and Offensive Line. I swear to god if we had size in that secondary next to Burnett, we'd be a hell of a lot better. Get rid of Jennings. McMillian is fine, JUST DRAFT SOME SAFTEYS!


Everyone MIGHT be able to learn a system, but just because a guy learns it (in the class room) doesn't mean he can go out there and do it at an NFL speed, power and quickness.

I disagree with you a bit for the Safety size...

Packers want SS that can also play FS, so they can rotate the two S positions and use that to trick the QB sometimes as Burnett and Collins would do at times.

Honestly, I think Burnett is a SS and is playing out of position because the teams needs him too, and McMillian is a SUPER undersized, but super athletic LB whose trying to learn S. (I really like the idea of having McMillian at ILB on for sure passing downs, though looks like Hyde could do that as well)

I think the Packers need a true FS (which Jennings is) but they need them to have NFL starting talent (which Jennings doesn't).
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / civic

48m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann