Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 1:56:30 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,536
Applause Received: 1,277
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Giorgio Tavecchio, converted 86.4 percent of his field goals throughout the course of this summer, which is better than the 80.0 percent Crosby has posted.

And yet they release him, stating he's "still in the competition." Right?

I guess they got enough film on him. I wonder when they'll have enough film on Crosby.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 1:59:48 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 187
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Tavechio clearly out kicked Crosby.

They were even all the time, except occasionally Crosby would miss 3 in a row in practice.

Then in one game Tavecchio misses ONE, and Crosby makes one. Suddenly all the headlines read CROSBY MOVES AHEAD IN KICKING COMPETITION.

Tavecchio never had a chance. For whatever reason, they just didn't want him.

Sure in practice maybe. But Crosby made all his in the games. Tavecchio only made 1 in game. That's why i'm skeptical on anyone else getting the job. Like you said Tavecchio never had a chance cause he made most of his kicks IN PRACTICE.

I understand all the Kicking competition, but only 1 was made by anyone other than Crosby during the Preseason. Crosby made 3. We barely kicked any fieldgoals. Crosby wins by default.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 2:01:01 PM(UTC)

United States
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Giorgio Tavecchio, converted 86.4 percent of his field goals throughout the course of this summer, which is better than the 80.0 percent Crosby has posted.

Imo that is pretty insignificant.
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 2:19:33 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,536
Applause Received: 1,277
Gaycandybacon said: Go to Quoted Post
Sure in practice maybe. But Crosby made all his in the games. Tavecchio only made 1 in game. That's why i'm skeptical on anyone else getting the job. Like you said Tavecchio never had a chance cause he made most of his kicks IN PRACTICE.

I understand all the Kicking competition, but only 1 was made by anyone other than Crosby during the Preseason. Crosby made 3. We barely kicked any fieldgoals. Crosby wins by default.

100% about SALARY CAP. They'd owe Crosby dead money.
Offline Dulak  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 2:21:46 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 276
Applause Received: 139
so given what the Italian sounding name guy did and mason did recently - whats the new guy got to do in the next week to get a job? ... make everything?

how many FGs we really going to get in the next game? - 3 tops? so if he misses one he is done? ...

I mean I like the sound of the new guy but seriously we going to keep him if he is any good then? or just putting him there to keep Crosby honest for the next week?

Offline QCHuskerFan  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 2:41:41 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 271
So Tavecchio might make one or 2 more field goals than Crosby during a year. But the other team will start every possession at the 30 instead of the 20. Bye bye Tavecchio. Seems simple to me.

And until he is signed somewhere else, he can always come back. Sounds like typical Packer management talk. Don't read too much into it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 8/27/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 2:42:19 PM(UTC)

United States
Dulak said: Go to Quoted Post
so given what the Italian sounding name guy did and mason did recently - whats the new guy got to do in the next week to get a job? ... make everything?

how many FGs we really going to get in the next game? - 3 tops? so if he misses one he is done? ...

I mean I like the sound of the new guy but seriously we going to keep him if he is any good then? or just putting him there to keep Crosby honest for the next week?

Yea it was pointless bringing in another kicker. I'm thinking that they thought Remerez and Tavecchio were the same players except Remerez has a stronger leg.
Offline sschind  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 3:16:07 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 342
Applause Received: 746
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
And yet they release him, stating he's "still in the competition." Right?

I guess they got enough film on him. I wonder when they'll have enough film on Crosby.

The thing is if they cut Crosby someone will likely snap him up. Tevecchio will still be there most likely if they decide Crosby can't cut it and the new guy is a wash out.

Gaycandybacon said: Go to Quoted Post

You can't go strictly by game action because, like you said, how many did they try. IMO only 2 or 3 roster spots are won during the preseason games. The majority are won in camp. 2 players that I think played their way to a spot are Johnny Jolly and Micah Hyde (although being a 5th rounder I think Hyde had a good shot anyway) .

I honestly think it is a toss up between Crosby and Ramirez. They were obviously not sold on Tevecchio because they let him go. They are obviously not sold on Crosby because the brought in Ramirez. I don't think they would have brought him in if they had decided to go with Crosby. Had Tevecchio not missed that 49 yarder I think the job might be his to lose.
Offline macbob  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 5:05:17 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2016PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 309
The only reason to bring in another kicker now (and a rookie at that) would be because they want to go in another direction. It can't be to provide competition to inspire Crosby, they already did that.

In my opinion, the job is Ramirez' if he shows any kind of leg strength and shows he can handle kicking in a game situation.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 8/27/2013(UTC)
Offline StoicFire  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 5:45:26 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 32
Applause Received: 60
macbob said: Go to Quoted Post
The only reason to bring in another kicker now (and a rookie at that) would be because they want to go in another direction. It can't be to provide competition to inspire Crosby, they already did that.

In my opinion, the job is Ramirez' if he shows any kind of leg strength and shows he can handle kicking in a game situation.

The way I see it, it is still Mason's job to lose at this point. The difference now is that we have a young, hungry, and talented player behind him ready to take his job. If Crosby slips into a slump entering December, we have another option. So I think this season is effectively Mason's last shot to win back McCarthy's confidence in him. If he fails, then we have a young talent to develop for the future.
Rss Feed