You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 2:41:41 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 93

So Tavecchio might make one or 2 more field goals than Crosby during a year. But the other team will start every possession at the 30 instead of the 20. Bye bye Tavecchio. Seems simple to me.

And until he is signed somewhere else, he can always come back. Sounds like typical Packer management talk. Don't read too much into it.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 8/27/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 2:42:19 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
so given what the Italian sounding name guy did and mason did recently - whats the new guy got to do in the next week to get a job? ... make everything?

how many FGs we really going to get in the next game? - 3 tops? so if he misses one he is done? ...

I mean I like the sound of the new guy but seriously we going to keep him if he is any good then? or just putting him there to keep Crosby honest for the next week?

Yea it was pointless bringing in another kicker. I'm thinking that they thought Remerez and Tavecchio were the same players except Remerez has a stronger leg.
Offline sschind  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 3:16:07 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 313

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
And yet they release him, stating he's "still in the competition." Right?

I guess they got enough film on him. I wonder when they'll have enough film on Crosby.

The thing is if they cut Crosby someone will likely snap him up. Tevecchio will still be there most likely if they decide Crosby can't cut it and the new guy is a wash out.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
Sure in practice maybe. But Crosby made all his in the games. Tavecchio only made 1 in game. That's why i'm skeptical on anyone else getting the job. Like you said Tavecchio never had a chance cause he made most of his kicks IN PRACTICE.

I understand all the Kicking competition, but only 1 was made by anyone other than Crosby during the Preseason. Crosby made 3. We barely kicked any fieldgoals. Crosby wins by default.

You can't go strictly by game action because, like you said, how many did they try. IMO only 2 or 3 roster spots are won during the preseason games. The majority are won in camp. 2 players that I think played their way to a spot are Johnny Jolly and Micah Hyde (although being a 5th rounder I think Hyde had a good shot anyway) .

I honestly think it is a toss up between Crosby and Ramirez. They were obviously not sold on Tevecchio because they let him go. They are obviously not sold on Crosby because the brought in Ramirez. I don't think they would have brought him in if they had decided to go with Crosby. Had Tevecchio not missed that 49 yarder I think the job might be his to lose.
I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline macbob  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 5:05:17 PM(UTC)
macbob

Applause Given: 253
Applause Received: 225

The only reason to bring in another kicker now (and a rookie at that) would be because they want to go in another direction. It can't be to provide competition to inspire Crosby, they already did that.

In my opinion, the job is Ramirez' if he shows any kind of leg strength and shows he can handle kicking in a game situation.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 8/27/2013(UTC)
Offline StoicFire  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 5:45:26 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Applause Given: 28
Applause Received: 49

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
The only reason to bring in another kicker now (and a rookie at that) would be because they want to go in another direction. It can't be to provide competition to inspire Crosby, they already did that.

In my opinion, the job is Ramirez' if he shows any kind of leg strength and shows he can handle kicking in a game situation.

The way I see it, it is still Mason's job to lose at this point. The difference now is that we have a young, hungry, and talented player behind him ready to take his job. If Crosby slips into a slump entering December, we have another option. So I think this season is effectively Mason's last shot to win back McCarthy's confidence in him. If he fails, then we have a young talent to develop for the future.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline macbob  
#21 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 6:22:02 PM(UTC)
macbob

Applause Given: 253
Applause Received: 225

Originally Posted by: StoicFire Go to Quoted Post
The way I see it, it is still Mason's job to lose at this point. The difference now is that we have a young, hungry, and talented player behind him ready to take his job. If Crosby slips into a slump entering December, we have another option. So I think this season is effectively Mason's last shot to win back McCarthy's confidence in him. If he fails, then we have a young talent to develop for the future.

That was Tavecchio.

The only reason to bring in a third at this point is you didn't like option 1 or 2.
UserPostedImage
Offline olds70supreme  
#22 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 9:32:35 PM(UTC)
olds70supreme

Applause Given: 16
Applause Received: 35

I like Crosby but he really showed that he is a wildcard head case at Family Night. If an entire off season and relatively friendly home crowd isn't enough to get you over your mental hump, what is? I'm not wild about Tavecchio, but at least he doesn't show a tendency to implode. I'm interested to see what the new guy can do. As for the salary cap talk, if Crosby would have had his s*** together last year nobody, coaches included, would have been able to tell you what he was making .
blank
Offline OlHoss1884  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:07:42 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 97

I think they saw GT as not a major upgrade on field goals but weak-legged on kickoffs, so there wasn't really a good reason to take a risk on him.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline sschind  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:26:28 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 313

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme Go to Quoted Post
As for the salary cap talk, if Crosby would have had his s*** together last year nobody, coaches included, would have been able to tell you what he was making .

What does this mean exactly? All salaries are public record I believe.

I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline olds70supreme  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:25:39 AM(UTC)
olds70supreme

Quote:
What does this mean exactly? All salaries are public record I believe.

I was being facetious - my point was that nobody would have cared what Crosby's contract amount was if he was performing as he had earlier instead of going through an extended bad streak. I don't believe that the idea of cutting Crosby is motivated by cost savings. Instead, I believe cutting Crosby (if it happens) is motivated by performance, or lack thereof.
blank
Offline play2win  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:33:52 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 855
Applause Received: 551

Hey, they found Zach Ramirez, and kudos to them for doing so.

Crosby is done. We cannot bring back the worst kicker in the NFL at that salary. Make that, at any salary. Crosby has shown he still has the yips, and he needs to be shown the door. I couldn't take another season of what we witnessed last year. Tavecchio was only marginally better overall with the FGs, and worse on KOs, and he was a lefty. If Giorgio was far and away better than Crosby, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He just wasn't.

The only "scenario" under which Travecchio might return to GB is if Ramirez breaks his leg... Heaven forbid!
Offline StoicFire  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:49:54 AM(UTC)
StoicFire

Applause Given: 28
Applause Received: 49

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
That was Tavecchio.

The only reason to bring in a third at this point is you didn't like option 1 or 2.

Maybe you're right, I just don't think it is that simple. I don't think Tavecchio ever really had a shot. Ramirez and Crosby have the same skill set, so Ramirez needs only to be more consistent to have a real shot. I still think at this point he is an insurance policy.

I think there are people in the organization who think that the Crosby of old is going to reemerge at some point; and as frustrating as it was to watch him struggle last year, I think we all would be happy to have the Crosby of 2011 back on the field. Hopefully he comes out of his slump soon though, because his window is closing.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline olds70supreme  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:12:17 AM(UTC)
olds70supreme

Quote:
I think there are people in the organization who think that the Crosby of old is going to reemerge at some point; and as frustrating as it was to watch him struggle last year, I think we all would be happy to have the Crosby of 2011 back on the field. Hopefully he comes out of his slump soon though, because his window is closing.

I agree, but I think that his window is essentially closed. The only way for him to prove he is out of the slump is to go an extended period of time without misses. He won't get that in the remainder of the preseason, and I think the team would be crazy to go into the season with him just to let him prove it one way or the other. I think Ramirez gets the job as long as he doesn't go into a funk of his own in what little is left of camp and preseason. Or, stated another way, the only way Crosby sticks is if Ramirez shows terrible accuracy in camp.
blank
Offline Tezzy  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:03:46 AM(UTC)
Tezzy

United States

Applause Received: 53

Welp, Ramirez didn't put any nails in Crosby's coffin at practice today.
... not gay, but like a Viking. Same difference.
Offline Cheesey  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:47:10 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

To me, it seemed Tavecchio didn't have a very powefful leg. And in GB in the winter time, you better be able to kick with some power.

UserPostedImage