You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:41:49 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,418
Applause Received: 1,203

JSOnline wrote:
For there to be a Super Bowl for Patrick Lewis and Greg Van Roten, first there must be the Green Bay Packers’ exhibition finale Thursday night against the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium.

Lewis goes to PS this year and he could bump GVR next year.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/29/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline play2win  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:29:13 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 855
Applause Received: 552

I have both players being kept on the 53.

I'll add that Lane Taylor also makes it. We should be keeping 9 OL this year, as the battles are indeed won in the trenches. We are looking to emphasize the running game. All the more reason to bring the beef!
DarkaneRules on 8/29/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:06:07 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Applause Given: 213
Applause Received: 332

Today I would say Van Roten would win the spot.

After tonights game that could change, that is how close this competition is.

With the way other positions are panning out, I see The Packers keeping 8 O-lineman at the most, they might even try to start the year with 7.

They keep 8 and I will give the nod to Van Roten as #7, then there will be a battle between Lewis, Taylor, Datko, Gerhart, and Hughs for the 8th spot. Lewis would be my choice for #8.

With Ted keeping 2 more on the PS.

I know its a risk cutting these guys and hoping they clear waivers, but it has came time where tough decision need to be made, and I really don't think any that are cut will have any problem clearing waivers, these guys are much more valuable to The Packers than any other team.

Been fun trying to figure this all out, Saturday can't come soon enough.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:30:18 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

7 linemen seems like it would be too few. That is only 2 backups. Granted most of them can play more than one position but with the injury history in GB that would make me very nervous. I can not count on anyone being on the PS 3 weeks into the season.

UserPostedImage

Offline DarkaneRules  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:44:03 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 133
Applause Received: 199

I think both make it as well. When Sherrod comes back, the discussion gets more interesting.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:47:13 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
I think both make it as well. When Sherrod comes back, the discussion gets more interesting.

Derek Sherrod comes back game 8 and saves the season by solidifying the LT position which hampered the Packers to that point. SUPER BOWL BABY!!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:48:52 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
7 linemen seems like it would be too few. That is only 2 backups. Granted most of them can play more than one position but with the injury history in GB that would make me very nervous. I can not count on anyone being on the PS 3 weeks into the season.

The Packers started last year with 7, usually it is 8, this really comes down to how many Defensive players and TE's They decide to keep.

Some reports have The Packers keeping 10 db's, which given the injury situation, that doesn't seem to far fetched.
6d-lineman, 9 lbr's, 10 db's............................25

3 sp team.......................................................03

2 qb's. 5 rb's/fb,5 wr's,5 te's..........................17

That would leave room for 8o-lineman...........08

Problem being, I see 7 d-lineman being kept, but only 4 te's, that still leaves room for 8.

Packers decide to go with 10 lbr's to start, that might force them to keep only 7 o-linemen to begin the season.

C'mon Saturday!!!!
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:58:59 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
The Packers started last year with 7, usually it is 8, this really comes down to how many Defensive players and TE's They decide to keep.

Some reports have The Packers keeping 10 db's, which given the injury situation, that doesn't seem to far fetched.
6d-lineman, 9 lbr's, 10 db's............................25

3 sp team.......................................................03

2 qb's. 5 rb's/fb,5 wr's,5 te's..........................17

That would leave room for 8o-lineman...........08

Problem being, I see 7 d-lineman being kept, but only 4 te's, that still leaves room for 8.

Packers decide to go with 10 lbr's to start, that might force them to keep only 7 o-linemen to begin the season.

C'mon Saturday!!!!

I understand. Sherrod is a wild card in the whole issue but I think they may feel more comfortable if they have 8.

UserPostedImage

Offline QCHuskerFan  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:08:29 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 93

Sherrod coming back to help. Hehehehehehehehehe.

Oh. You weren't making a joke? My bad. Just thought it was hilarious!
blank
wpr on 8/29/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:32:08 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Sherrod coming back to help. Hehehehehehehehehe.

Oh. You weren't making a joke? My bad. Just thought it was hilarious!

UserPostedImage

who ever put this together did it wrong. The word was:

youneverknow.

UserPostedImage

Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:02:35 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 600

With the quality of the back ups right now I don't really see them keeping 8 or 9 guys. They only have 1 back up right now (Newhouse/Barclay) with any proven ability. The rest of the guys most likely could make it to the practice squad and even if they didn't wouldn't be hard to replace with just a street guy. I don't think GVR or Lewis would really be a big deal to lose. So they probably keep the 1 back up and maybe 1 more but the rest they can just keep on the PS and call up if needed (and save a roster spot). For all we know Ted might even snatch up a guy that gets released from another team.
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:49:46 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,108
Applause Received: 474

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
With the quality of the back ups right now I don't really see them keeping 8 or 9 guys. They only have 1 back up right now (Newhouse/Barclay) with any proven ability. The rest of the guys most likely could make it to the practice squad and even if they didn't wouldn't be hard to replace with just a street guy. I don't think GVR or Lewis would really be a big deal to lose. So they probably keep the 1 back up and maybe 1 more but the rest they can just keep on the PS and call up if needed (and save a roster spot). For all we know Ted might even snatch up a guy that gets released from another team.

Ted will definitely snatch a guy or two.

Ted's philosophy is that you can get by on the Oline with "just guys." Stick them in there and then get superstars at the "skill" positions.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:22:37 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Ted will definitely snatch a guy or two.

Ted's philosophy is that you can get by on the Oline with "just guys." Stick them in there and then get superstars at the "skill" positions.

2010.. Bryan Bulaga 1st rnd, 2011...Derrick Sherard 1st rnd.....2009 TJ Lang 4th rnd
2008 Giacoma(3rd or 4th)

2012 Datko and Coleman in the 7th rnd(only offenseive players drafted)

2013 Bahkatari and Tretter both 4th rnd picks

I'm sure if Ted could have read the tea leaves and knew that Bulaga and Sherrard were going to get injured he would have spent those picks on other players.

Facts are, A. Rodgers is the only "skilled" position player Ted has used a #1 pick on.

The fact that The Packers "skilled" position players were mostly drafted in rnds 2,3 and 4 just shows how much work that goes into finding quality players in the later rnds.

Once again the FACTS get in the way of your take on Teds philosophy !!!
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:57:13 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,108
Applause Received: 474

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
2010.. Bryan Bulaga 1st rnd, 2011...Derrick Sherard 1st rnd.....2009 TJ Lang 4th rnd
2008 Giacoma(3rd or 4th)

2012 Datko and Coleman in the 7th rnd(only offenseive players drafted)

2013 Bahkatari and Tretter both 4th rnd picks

I'm sure if Ted could have read the tea leaves and knew that Bulaga and Sherrard were going to get injured he would have spent those picks on other players.

Facts are, A. Rodgers is the only "skilled" position player Ted has used a #1 pick on.

The fact that The Packers "skilled" position players were mostly drafted in rnds 2,3 and 4 just shows how much work that goes into finding quality players in the later rnds.

Once again the FACTS get in the way of your take on Teds philosophy !!!

You all right dude? LOL

Yeah man. Ted has invested TWO 1sts in the Oline. But he did so only after rebuilding the rest of the team. First thing he did when he took over was get rid of Wahle and Rivera. Now he is able to address the line to some degree. I would also note that he's addressing the T positions first. He'll probably get a viable C next.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:05:02 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
You all right dude? LOL

Yeah man. Ted has invested TWO 1sts in the Oline. But he did so only after rebuilding the rest of the team. First thing he did when he took over was get rid of Wahle and Rivera. Now he is able to address the line to some degree. I would also note that he's addressing the T positions first. He'll probably get a viable C next.

And as you argued over and over again, Ted had NO OTHER CHOICE, but to do so.

Don't state "Ted's philosophy is that you can get by on the Oline with "just guys." Stick them in there and then get superstars at the "skill" positions." Then try and backtrack.