Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:41:49 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

JSOnline wrote:
For there to be a Super Bowl for Patrick Lewis and Greg Van Roten, first there must be the Green Bay Packers’ exhibition finale Thursday night against the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium.


Lewis goes to PS this year and he could bump GVR next year.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/29/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 8:29:13 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I have both players being kept on the 53.

I'll add that Lane Taylor also makes it. We should be keeping 9 OL this year, as the battles are indeed won in the trenches. We are looking to emphasize the running game. All the more reason to bring the beef!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/29/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:06:07 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 335
Applause Received: 445

Today I would say Van Roten would win the spot.

After tonights game that could change, that is how close this competition is.

With the way other positions are panning out, I see The Packers keeping 8 O-lineman at the most, they might even try to start the year with 7.

They keep 8 and I will give the nod to Van Roten as #7, then there will be a battle between Lewis, Taylor, Datko, Gerhart, and Hughs for the 8th spot. Lewis would be my choice for #8.

With Ted keeping 2 more on the PS.

I know its a risk cutting these guys and hoping they clear waivers, but it has came time where tough decision need to be made, and I really don't think any that are cut will have any problem clearing waivers, these guys are much more valuable to The Packers than any other team.

Been fun trying to figure this all out, Saturday can't come soon enough.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:30:18 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

7 linemen seems like it would be too few. That is only 2 backups. Granted most of them can play more than one position but with the injury history in GB that would make me very nervous. I can not count on anyone being on the PS 3 weeks into the season.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
Offline DarkaneRules  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:44:03 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 354

I think both make it as well. When Sherrod comes back, the discussion gets more interesting.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Online Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:47:13 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,191

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
I think both make it as well. When Sherrod comes back, the discussion gets more interesting.


Derek Sherrod comes back game 8 and saves the season by solidifying the LT position which hampered the Packers to that point. SUPER BOWL BABY!!
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:48:52 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 335
Applause Received: 445

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
7 linemen seems like it would be too few. That is only 2 backups. Granted most of them can play more than one position but with the injury history in GB that would make me very nervous. I can not count on anyone being on the PS 3 weeks into the season.


The Packers started last year with 7, usually it is 8, this really comes down to how many Defensive players and TE's They decide to keep.

Some reports have The Packers keeping 10 db's, which given the injury situation, that doesn't seem to far fetched.
6d-lineman, 9 lbr's, 10 db's............................25

3 sp team.......................................................03

2 qb's. 5 rb's/fb,5 wr's,5 te's..........................17

That would leave room for 8o-lineman...........08

Problem being, I see 7 d-lineman being kept, but only 4 te's, that still leaves room for 8.

Packers decide to go with 10 lbr's to start, that might force them to keep only 7 o-linemen to begin the season.

C'mon Saturday!!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:58:59 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
The Packers started last year with 7, usually it is 8, this really comes down to how many Defensive players and TE's They decide to keep.

Some reports have The Packers keeping 10 db's, which given the injury situation, that doesn't seem to far fetched.
6d-lineman, 9 lbr's, 10 db's............................25

3 sp team.......................................................03

2 qb's. 5 rb's/fb,5 wr's,5 te's..........................17

That would leave room for 8o-lineman...........08

Problem being, I see 7 d-lineman being kept, but only 4 te's, that still leaves room for 8.

Packers decide to go with 10 lbr's to start, that might force them to keep only 7 o-linemen to begin the season.

C'mon Saturday!!!!


I understand. Sherrod is a wild card in the whole issue but I think they may feel more comfortable if they have 8.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:08:29 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 12/30/2010(UTC)

Applause Given: 86
Applause Received: 149

Sherrod coming back to help. Hehehehehehehehehe.

Oh. You weren't making a joke? My bad. Just thought it was hilarious!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 8/29/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:32:08 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Sherrod coming back to help. Hehehehehehehehehe.

Oh. You weren't making a joke? My bad. Just thought it was hilarious!


UserPostedImage

who ever put this together did it wrong. The word was:

youneverknow.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:02:35 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 968

With the quality of the back ups right now I don't really see them keeping 8 or 9 guys. They only have 1 back up right now (Newhouse/Barclay) with any proven ability. The rest of the guys most likely could make it to the practice squad and even if they didn't wouldn't be hard to replace with just a street guy. I don't think GVR or Lewis would really be a big deal to lose. So they probably keep the 1 back up and maybe 1 more but the rest they can just keep on the PS and call up if needed (and save a roster spot). For all we know Ted might even snatch up a guy that gets released from another team.
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:49:46 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
With the quality of the back ups right now I don't really see them keeping 8 or 9 guys. They only have 1 back up right now (Newhouse/Barclay) with any proven ability. The rest of the guys most likely could make it to the practice squad and even if they didn't wouldn't be hard to replace with just a street guy. I don't think GVR or Lewis would really be a big deal to lose. So they probably keep the 1 back up and maybe 1 more but the rest they can just keep on the PS and call up if needed (and save a roster spot). For all we know Ted might even snatch up a guy that gets released from another team.


Ted will definitely snatch a guy or two.

Ted's philosophy is that you can get by on the Oline with "just guys." Stick them in there and then get superstars at the "skill" positions.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:22:37 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 335
Applause Received: 445

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Ted will definitely snatch a guy or two.

Ted's philosophy is that you can get by on the Oline with "just guys." Stick them in there and then get superstars at the "skill" positions.


2010.. Bryan Bulaga 1st rnd, 2011...Derrick Sherard 1st rnd.....2009 TJ Lang 4th rnd
2008 Giacoma(3rd or 4th)

2012 Datko and Coleman in the 7th rnd(only offenseive players drafted)

2013 Bahkatari and Tretter both 4th rnd picks

I'm sure if Ted could have read the tea leaves and knew that Bulaga and Sherrard were going to get injured he would have spent those picks on other players.

Facts are, A. Rodgers is the only "skilled" position player Ted has used a #1 pick on.

The fact that The Packers "skilled" position players were mostly drafted in rnds 2,3 and 4 just shows how much work that goes into finding quality players in the later rnds.

Once again the FACTS get in the way of your take on Teds philosophy !!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:57:13 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
2010.. Bryan Bulaga 1st rnd, 2011...Derrick Sherard 1st rnd.....2009 TJ Lang 4th rnd
2008 Giacoma(3rd or 4th)

2012 Datko and Coleman in the 7th rnd(only offenseive players drafted)

2013 Bahkatari and Tretter both 4th rnd picks

I'm sure if Ted could have read the tea leaves and knew that Bulaga and Sherrard were going to get injured he would have spent those picks on other players.

Facts are, A. Rodgers is the only "skilled" position player Ted has used a #1 pick on.

The fact that The Packers "skilled" position players were mostly drafted in rnds 2,3 and 4 just shows how much work that goes into finding quality players in the later rnds.

Once again the FACTS get in the way of your take on Teds philosophy !!!


You all right dude? LOL

Yeah man. Ted has invested TWO 1sts in the Oline. But he did so only after rebuilding the rest of the team. First thing he did when he took over was get rid of Wahle and Rivera. Now he is able to address the line to some degree. I would also note that he's addressing the T positions first. He'll probably get a viable C next.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:05:02 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 335
Applause Received: 445

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
You all right dude? LOL

Yeah man. Ted has invested TWO 1sts in the Oline. But he did so only after rebuilding the rest of the team. First thing he did when he took over was get rid of Wahle and Rivera. Now he is able to address the line to some degree. I would also note that he's addressing the T positions first. He'll probably get a viable C next.


And as you argued over and over again, Ted had NO OTHER CHOICE, but to do so.

Don't state "Ted's philosophy is that you can get by on the Oline with "just guys." Stick them in there and then get superstars at the "skill" positions." Then try and backtrack.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
2m / Announcements / Zero2Cool

38m / Green Bay Packers Talk / coltonja

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / hardrocker950

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

21h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

30-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann