Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Firstcoast1  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:25:37 PM(UTC)
Firstcoast1

United States

Applause Received: 16

I just received a call from Sam Barrington and he is OFFICIALLY the newest member of the Green Bay Packers!! Thank you all for keeping me abreast!
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 8/31/2013(UTC), play2win on 9/1/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 9/2/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:30:49 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

great!
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:31:46 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!!

Most if not all were rooting for Sam to make it,

Congrats!!!!!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:32:24 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

CONGRATS TO SAM AND TO YOU TO DELIVERING THAT GREAT REFRESHING NEWS MAN!
Offline Dulak  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:42:01 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 104

hey Grats - tell him Hi from us and we were rooting for him!

Offline Firstcoast1  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:49:53 PM(UTC)
Firstcoast1

United States

I was telling him how I became a member on this site so you guys could give me updates. I also told him that every person who responded to my thread were rooting for him and liked they way he played! As usual, he was appreciative and mentioned how the 'real' work now begins.

He was talking about how his heart skipped a beat every time he received a phone call. When he got the news he made the team, he called his mom who was brought to tears. He knows me, I was nearly as nervous as he was all the way up until he called me. At 15 minutes to 6 eastern time, he text me and said this has been the longest day of his life, even more than the draft!
thanks Post received 5 applause.
wpr on 8/31/2013(UTC), Gaycandybacon on 8/31/2013(UTC), macbob on 8/31/2013(UTC), mi_keys on 9/1/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 9/2/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:51:11 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: Firstcoast1 Go to Quoted Post
I was telling him how I became a member on this site so you guys could give me updates. I also told him that every person who responded to my thread were rooting for him and liked they way he played! As usual, he was appreciative and mentioned how the 'real' work now begins.

He was talking about how his heart skipped a beat every time he received a phone call. When he got the news he made the team, he called his mom who was brought to tears. He knows me, I was nearly as nervous as he was all the way up until he called me. At 15 minutes to 6 eastern time, he text me and said this has been the longest day of his life, even more than the draft!

If he's willing, we'd like to put together a Q/A for him. If he's willing, let me know and we can get the questions together. We'll collect questions from the members and he can answer them.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 8/31/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:55:01 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

great story. I love learning more about a guy that if he can run faster than a gazelle and bench press a Buick. The "Mom cried" is perfect.
UserPostedImage

Offline Firstcoast1  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:25:48 PM(UTC)
Firstcoast1

United States

Terrell Manning was just let go.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:29:45 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 458

Yep, we found the final 3, Manning was a little of a shocker, but as I told you in my original post.

Ted loves his Draft Picks!!!!

Sam, Palmer, Mulumba all played great and deserved to make the final 53!!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline Firstcoast1  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:33:44 PM(UTC)
Firstcoast1

United States

As I told Sam, it is never a good idea to come out early and go in the 5th round anyway. Last season should have been his senior year where he could have learned more and bettered his position.
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 5:27:10 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

As I told Sam, it is never a good idea to come out early and go in the 5th round anyway. Last season should have been his senior year where he could have learned more and bettered his position.

Good advice. Too many kids see $$$$ signs and come out too soon. A lot of them never recover and reach their potential. it's a shame. I wish they all had 5 years and played for 4 in college. THEN go get a job. I know there are drawbacks to that as well. Injuries cut many players careers short.
UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:17:02 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Kind of a surprise, but remember. There could be some turnover on the bottom of the roster.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr on 9/1/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 11:52:28 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Kind of a surprise, but remember. There could be some turnover on the bottom of the roster.

There usually is. And I like it. If they don;t the team will only grow weaker from one year to the next.
UserPostedImage

Offline sschind  
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 1:39:18 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!!

Most if not all were rooting for Sam to make it,

Congrats!!!!!!!

I'm going to sound like an ignoramus here and I certainly don't want to insult or offend anyone but what made Barrington so special. Everyone knows Jolly's backstory and even Hyde and Banjo had articles about them but as far as I knew Barrington was just another body. Did I miss something?
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#16 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 2:08:47 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

Barrington is definitely in that Bishop mold. If he progresses as I hope he does, he will be a stud in a year or two
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline Wade  
#17 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:15:21 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to sound like an ignoramus here and I certainly don't want to insult or offend anyone but what made Barrington so special. Everyone knows Jolly's backstory and even Hyde and Banjo had articles about them but as far as I knew Barrington was just another body. Did I miss something?

Barrington is a friend of PackerHome's very own firstcoast1. That makes it a special story all by itself.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 2 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 9/1/2013(UTC), wpr on 9/1/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:18:27 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post

Quite simply put, he is a Green Bay Packers player. What more do you need?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
wpr on 9/1/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#19 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:32:37 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

He didn't blow anybody away to my knowledge but the game didn't look too big for him. Good player to develop. Quality back up atm
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline sschind  
#20 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:20:35 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Barrington is a friend of PackerHome's very own firstcoast1. That makes it a special story all by itself.

I see. Now I understand the loveSmile

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline sschind  
#21 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:22:24 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Quite simply put, he is a Green Bay Packers player. What more do you need?

I don't need any more but it appeared to me that a lot of people here thought there was more so I was just asking about it.

Offline Firstcoast1  
#22 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2013 6:08:48 AM(UTC)
Firstcoast1

United States

We're just so proud of him here in Jacksonville, Florida. I am a native New Yorker who moved to Jax in '00. I was once a sports radio personality covering HS, college and pro football, even middle school and have had the opportunity to see the true side of players from the area.

Sam has a truly unique story, which I have left some out because I felt it would have been better told by him.

Part of his unique story is his father is from Ghana, Africa. His mom is American. Sam has always worked hard for everything and things were not always easy. This guy played HS football and had three jobs, including Zaxby's (which he did not even know Clay Matthews was a spokesman!); he also worked at a car wash in the unforgiven Jax heat and humidity!

Sam has taken trips to his father's native land of Ghana several times and has a true connection to the area. Sam has always wanted to start a non profit to help the children of Ghana in getting shoes and other necessities that we take for granted. Sam has believed in hard work and has never asked someone else for something he could work and get himself. Sam also takes care of his large family and his 4 year old daughter, which he should.

He has always been genuine and respectful even when he screwed up! There are very few if any people you could find that would have a bad thing to say about Sam. Our small Jax city may not be great in NFL football but we support those who have come up through the system and made good; Leon Washington, Marcus Thomas, Sam Barrington and many others just from our Jax community.

Finally, what makes Sam special outside of now being a part of the NFL fraternity, is his father owns a multi-million dollar company in Ghana. With that being the case, Sam has always been his own man and has busted his butt for his family. I know what some of you may be thinking. Well, no, the differences in culture may have been the reason for whatever the relationship WAS between he and his father. What I do know is as grown men, Sam and his father are very close.

P.S. Amazingly, when Sam made his announcement to go to USF (Which was covered by every station in Jax, for he was the #1 prospect in Jax in '09), his father flew in from Ghana. When he saw the hundreds of people fawning over his son, he had no idea why! Obviously, soccer is the game of choice in Ghana and much of the world.

I hope that gives a better perspective on the depths of Sam. He does not have to be a special NFL player, although I believe he will some day. However, I would bet my lastdolllar that if the NFL did not work out, he won't be among the 78% of former players in dire financial straits after the lights go out.
yooperfan on 9/2/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#23 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2013 7:08:41 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Firstcoast1, thanks for the backstory on Barrington. Sounds like a great guy.

sschind, it was his play on the field that made me a fan.

Barrington has the size and speed you look for in a MLB. Add to that the kid consistently made plays, with authority. You see the confidence he has in getting into position and finishing. That is pretty refreshing coming from a late round pick.

Watching him play made me think we would have little to no drop off should he need to start, and actually may be a better player with time than some of our starters. Remember what it was like watching Bishop languish behind Bennett? Kind of the same thing. His talent looks legit, and that is what has me excited about him making the 53. He will be a very good player for us. May prove to be a late round steal.
Offline Firstcoast1  
#24 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2013 7:36:21 AM(UTC)
Firstcoast1

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Firstcoast1, thanks for the backstory on Barrington. Sounds like a great guy.

sschind, it was his play on the field that made me a fan.

Barrington has the size and speed you look for in a MLB. Add to that the kid consistently made plays, with authority. You see the confidence he has in getting into position and finishing. That is pretty refreshing coming from a late round pick.

Watching him play made me think we would have little to no drop off should he need to start, and actually may be a better player with time than some of our starters. Remember what it was like watching Bishop languish behind Bennett? Kind of the same thing. His talent looks legit, and that is what has me excited about him making the 53. He will be a very good player for us. May prove to be a late round steal.

He has always been an excellent athlete (see his HS runningback vid on youtube). Skip Holtz making him play other LB positions outside of his natural WILL opened the door for the versatility the Packers love, so it was a blessing in disguise.
Offline sschind  
#25 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2013 8:20:43 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

I do recall stories about a player with the Ghana ties. I just didn't associate the name with the story.

I haven't been able to watch much of the preseason games so his play did not stand out for me I guess.

Lets hope he continues his success.
Rss Feed