Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline K_Buz  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:27:03 PM(UTC)
K_Buz

Applause Given: 2
Applause Received: 26

After watching today's game, I have to wonder if how the preseason was handled this year had a big effect on the way the Packer's played today.

I saw a total team failure. Aikman really wanted us to believe that the Packer's D did a good job. The stats don't lie...400 yds passing and 31 pts. The offense turned the ball over twice and there were a bunch of 3 and outs. Ross should be given his pick slip.

The play calling...its what we come to expect from McCarthy. Plain, boring, predictable.

This year's team has the talent to make a run, but it's hard to overcome one of these failures we saw today, much less failures in all three/four aspects of the game.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 9/8/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:31:12 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

The 49ers played their starters in preseason less than we did. Both sides of the ball have been in the same system now for several years and they shouldn't even need as many preseason reps as most other teams. I really doubt the rep count in preseason had anything at all to do with it.
DoddPower on 9/8/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:00:34 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
The 49ers played their starters in preseason less than we did. Both sides of the ball have been in the same system now for several years and they shouldn't even need as many preseason reps as most other teams. I really doubt the rep count in preseason had anything at all to do with it.

Mike never has his team ready to play 60 minutes. Maybe last year against Houston. But it's rare.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:05:01 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Mike never has his team ready to play 60 minutes. Maybe last year against Houston. But it's rare.

That must be why they don't win very much
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 9/8/2013(UTC), beast on 9/8/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:46:20 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,153
Applause Received: 1,522

Missed the game but I wondered if the lack of time together in the preseason was a contributing factor.
trouble is if they play half a game in the pretend season and CM3, Aaron Rodgers or some of the other key players was injured we would all say that they needed to play less.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Cheesey on 9/8/2013(UTC)
Online Cheesey  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 6:59:48 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 204
Applause Received: 439

Cobb and Nelson didn't play in the fake games, and both of them looked good.

Our D, when it mattered most, couldn't stop the niners.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker on 9/8/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:15:32 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,097
Applause Received: 530

I don't think preseason was an issue, at all. The better team won, but it was close. McMillan and Jennings played a lot in the preseason, and they were both horrible. Nelson and Cobb did next to nothing, but were very good.

The Packers made a few too many mistakes, and they lost. If they could play a little better, they could very well win the game next time.
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:28:53 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 322

I think the biggest reasons for the bad day is injuries to Hayward and Burnett.

I was thinking with Hyde there, Hayward injury wouldn't hurt us too much... and for the most part I think I was right on that one.

BUT the Burnett injury killed the Packers.

I think McMillian has huge potential, but he SERIOUSLY struggles when he is asked to read the field instead of attacking or focusing on one guy. I feel like McMillian is a slot CB that's being asked to learn a new position. It's not just him, but at times he did seem lost.

M.D. Jennings surprised me. He didn't look too good but didn't look too bad either from what I saw. It'd be nice to get a true FS back there again...

Message modified by user Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:23:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:47:16 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 483
Applause Received: 294

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I don't think preseason was an issue, at all. The better team won, but it was close. McMillan and Jennings played a lot in the preseason, and they were both horrible. Nelson and Cobb did next to nothing, but were very good.

The Packers made a few too many mistakes, and they lost. If they could play a little better, they could very well win the game next time.

I disagree about "the better team" winning. No doubt, the Niners are a very good team, and a lot more balanced/complete/whatever. I have said, these were the two best teams in the NFL. However, the Packers passing game i.e. Aaron Rodgers, is so good that it outweighs having a D that isn't nearly as good as the Niners, an O Line that may not be as good as anybody else, and whatever other weaknesses the Packers may have. If the Packers played the Niners ten times, the Packers would win 6 or 7.

The point about Nelson, Cobb, also Lacy and Rodgers, maybe even Tramon and Shields and Matthews playing good belies the whole idea of the thread title.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:54:04 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

I think the reason why they beat us through the air is because we didn't challenge their receivers. They just got open way to fast over the middle through that zone. We worried to much about Kap running we forgot about Bolden/Davis.

Preseason means nothing like other pointed out.

Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Matthews. Didn't play much in preseason games. And they came to play like usual. I think it shows the depth of positions on your team but it doesn't show who your team really is. You really don't know how good a team is until about week 6-8 of a season. Then you can really see how they go through adversity and who their identity is.
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:38:20 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
That must be why they don't win very much

They win against inferior opponents, because Ted has stocked this team with talent.

With TWO turnovers and FIVE 3 and outs, do you think this team lived up to it's potential?

I don't.

I won't even count how many times Boldin was UNCOVERED. Or the amount of time Vernon Davis was uncovered.

But thanks for your contribution.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:40:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
I think the reason why they beat us through the air is because we didn't challenge their receivers. They just got open way to fast over the middle through that zone. We worried to much about Kap running we forgot about Bolden/Davis.

Preseason means nothing like other pointed out.

Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Matthews. Didn't play much in preseason games. And they came to play like usual. I think it shows the depth of positions on your team but it doesn't show who your team really is. You really don't know how good a team is until about week 6-8 of a season. Then you can really see how they go through adversity and who their identity is.

The reason the Niners beat us through the air was:

1: They had the ball twice as much as we did.

2: We didn't cover Boldin.

3: Sometimes we didn't cover Davis.
Offline DoddPower  
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:21:40 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

The reason the Niners beat us through the air was:

1: They had the ball twice as much as we did.

2: We didn't cover Boldin.

3: Sometimes we didn't cover Davis.

Or basically, the Packers lost because the 49'ers outplayed them. Such insight.
Offline steveishere  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 10:13:17 PM(UTC)
steveishere

They win against inferior opponents, because Ted has stocked this team with talent.

With TWO turnovers and FIVE 3 and outs, do you think this team lived up to it's potential?

I don't.

I won't even count how many times Boldin was UNCOVERED. Or the amount of time Vernon Davis was uncovered.

But thanks for your contribution.

So what you expect them to be undefeated? They lost a close game to the most talented team on the schedule in their house, BFD. You can't go 13-3 without losing a few games and you can't lose a few games without having some shit you need to work on.
Offline sschind  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 5:56:05 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

We worried to much about Kap running we forgot about Bolden/Davis.

Bingo. Such an emphasis was placed on stopping Kaepernick the runner that we forgot that he can throw the ball as well. Couple that with the poor coverage and you have a passing game massacre. The niners really played us up on that one. I'm guessing Harbaugh had that figured out as soon as he saw the schedule for this season. He made such a big deal out of it in the days leading up to the game that we outthunk ourselves.

On McCarthy's behalf though, he really didn't have a choice. Its like halftime adjustments. If your team is winning you don't have to adjust and when the other team does a lot of times you lose the second half. Harbaugh was winning (from the playoffs last season) so he had to do nothing. McCarthy was forced to adjust and he did. I think if the 49ers tried to run the same game they did in the playoffs last year we would have won this game. The thing is Harbaugh adjusted to our adjustment and beat us that way.

The preseason didn't matter.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 5:58:36 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

We worried to much about Kap running we forgot about Bolden/Davis.

Forgot or didn't have Casey Hayward and Morgan Burnett?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#17 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 2:45:01 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Forgot or didn't have Casey Hayward and Morgan Burnett?

Fair point, but the guys on the field should have still been able to cover better than that. Especially for a team that supposedly has "good depth."

Offline nerdmann  
#18 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 3:37:56 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

They played without Crabtree and that other dude.
Offline steveishere  
#19 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 3:41:12 PM(UTC)
steveishere

They played without Crabtree and that other dude.

They didn't practice all week expecting either of those guys to play.
Zero2Cool on 9/9/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed