Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 9:23:37 AM(UTC)
Two total tackles with one sack. What did you think of his performance yesterday?
Wade  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 2:10:38 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Two total tackles with one sack. What did you think of his performance yesterday?

He's part of the reason they stuffed the run better. (The other being Raji played better against the run than I expected him to.)

(Pickett of course was his usual stout self in that respect.)

I didn't expect him to come out all-world in his first real game in years and against arguably the best line in football. But I was pleased overall.

I still think he ends up taking more and more reps away from Raji before the season is done.

DoddPower  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 2:38:20 PM(UTC)
He played about as well as any other defensive linemen on the Packers roster yesterday from what I could tell, which definitely wasn't bad. He's a welcome addition.
nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 3:35:38 PM(UTC)
The DL man'd up against the run. Contained Kaep too.

DBs shit themselves, but the front 7 were great.

Even Hawk got a beautiful stick on that one play, BAM! Right at the LoS.
PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:35:22 PM(UTC)
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post

I still think he ends up taking more and more reps away from Raji before the season is done.

I wouldn't expect him to take Raji snaps as much as being a limiting factor in Pickett's snaps. Don't expect Much of Pickett when only using 2 Dlineman like we have in the past.
nyrpack  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:42:09 PM(UTC)
thought he played well, and really liked his rah rah as the players were coming off the field, he was totally into it !!
Wade  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 11:59:57 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't expect him to take Raji snaps as much as being a limiting factor in Pickett's snaps. Don't expect Much of Pickett when only using 2 Dlineman like we have in the past.

Pickett is a rock against the run. So is Jolly. Raji is not. Pickett occupies 2 players, so does Jolly; Raji too often can be moved with one. Jolly first takes Raji's reps against the run when Pickett is in there. Takes Pickett's only as part of "rotation" to spell the Big Grease. I don't think he gets to the point where he's the best run option; Pickett is quiet, but he's very, very good.

But the reason Jolly ends up taking Raji's spot is against the pass. Or will unless there is a "light a fire" factor. Jolly isn't there yet. But he's hungry enough that he will get there. Raji, IMO, will continue to be all world in spurts....and maddeningly nothing much in others.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic about Jolly re: the pass. He was always stouter against the run than he was against the pass, after all. But it's weird: despite his being the wrong side of 29, I think he's got more potential than Raji.

It reminds me of a while back when faced with two DL needing new contracts, the Packers chose between Cletidus Hunt and Vonnie Holiday. That time, I argued for and Packer management made the wrong choice, going with the "potential" of the young guy. It's hard to believe based on what happened post-decision, but Hunt showed some dominating flashes prior to his big contract. Yet his "next step" never happened.

Will Ted go with Raji? Maybe. He certainly likes the "potential" card when it comes to linemen on either side of the ball, and there's no doubt from his late 2010 performance, that Raji has a lot of potential for dominance in him somewhere.

If it is down to the question of potential v. potential, it will be Raji who stays and Jolly who doesn't in 2014. But I just think that Jolly ends up showing more actual dominance in this contract year than Raji does. I think he wants it more.

Tezzy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:35:37 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post

More than pleased.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:21:17 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post

Even Hawk got a beautiful stick on that one play, BAM! Right at the LoS.

Yeah, you owe Buckeye some groveling! Get on it! I did it in the chat as it happened. Buckeye actually loves us and is waiting for his invitation to the dojo of coolness. LOL LOL LOL
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:26:21 AM(UTC)

It reminds me of a while back when faced with two DL needing new contracts, the Packers chose between Cletidus Hunt and Vonnie Holiday. That time, I argued for and Packer management made the wrong choice, going with the "potential" of the young guy. It's hard to believe based on what happened post-decision, but Hunt showed some dominating flashes prior to his big contract. Yet his "next step" never happened.

Will Ted go with Raji? Maybe. He certainly likes the "potential" card when it comes to linemen on either side of the ball, and there's no doubt from his late 2010 performance, that Raji has a lot of potential for dominance in him somewhere.

If it is down to the question of potential v. potential, it will be Raji who stays and Jolly who doesn't in 2014. But I just think that Jolly ends up showing more actual dominance in this contract year than Raji does. I think he wants it more.

You have some memory lapses going on here old man. Vonnie Holiday offered the contract, his agent balked at it, so we offered the money to the turd instead. The correct choice was made, but do to a limp-wristed agent and a weak minded player, we ended up with the wrong player.

I think you let Pickett walk and sign Raji and Jolly. Let's get through this year and see who stays injury free.
play2win  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:55:43 AM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
You have some memory lapses going on here old man. Vonnie Holiday offered the contract, his agent balked at it, so we offered the money to the turd instead. The correct choice was made, but do to a limp-wristed agent and a weak minded player, we ended up with the wrong player.

I think you let Pickett walk and sign Raji and Jolly. Let's get through this year and see who stays injury free.

Pick will. You know it. Dude is a rock.

I was super happy with Jolly's game Sunday. That was impressive for his first game back against the OL he was facing.
earthquake  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:18:53 AM(UTC)
Considering Picket's age and not-at-all flashy position I doubt he commands a significant amount of money on the flat as of lately free agent market. Just look at what happened this year with older defensive ends, who typically command much higher salaries than NT/DTs like Picket.

Jolly, with his age and questionable past, I doubt he commands a large contract in FA either, even if he has a very good season.

I wouldn't be surprised if GB is able to keep both of these guys around, even if Raji is signed. I also wouldn't be surprised if they let Picket walk due to age.
Wade  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:20:16 PM(UTC)

I forgot the agent bit, yep.

But no one knew CH would go the way he did. He looked very good at times before that contract.

(I admit it, at the time, I thought it made sense the way they did it. I was also excited about the Joe Johnson pickup and the Jamal Reynolds pick...argh.)

I hope they don't let Pickett walk. He aint flashy. He just consistently does his job and does it very well. I'm not equating Raji to Hunt by a long shot. I just don't think he gives anywhere as much as Pickett does. If he puts together a really good year (as opposed to half a year's worth of good and a half year's worth of mediocre, I say let him go.

Plus he's had enough hype over the years that they might need to overpay to keep him.

Jolly? Well I've been on his bandwagon for some time. I don't think its going to be any issue unless he has a brain fart and holds out for too much dough.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:21:14 PM(UTC)
I've been pleased with Jolly right from the start also, and he continued it yesterday. It really worried me when I saw him writhing in pain - apparently just cramps.

I've been extremely disappointed with Raji right from the start. Yeah, it will be decision time on him after this season. I really hope Ted Thompson doesn't pay him big money - he just ain't worth it. The hope of some was that with a rotation and some time to catch his breath, he would be significantly better. I didn't see that against the Niners. As was said above, Jolly and Pickett were a lot more stout (and quick) against the run, and Jolly in pass rush also, than Raji.

I agree, Pickett should be very signable for not a whole lot of money, and Jolly, due to age and loyalty to the Packers for believing in him, should be signable for a reasonable amount too. Let Raji go and be thankful for that compensatory pick thing, that's what I say.

C.J. Wilson looked surprisingly decent also. I heard disappointment expressed about Datone Jones, but I think he didn't get that many snaps - due in part to Wilson playing decent.
steveishere  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:43:43 PM(UTC)
Yeah, you owe Buckeye some groveling! Get on it! I did it in the chat as it happened. Buckeye actually loves us and is waiting for his invitation to the dojo of coolness. LOL LOL LOL

Unfortunately over the whole game Hawk missed more tackles than he made solo.
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:42:58 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post

Buckeye's going to blow a gasket again pretty soon with all this piling on Hawk. Or maybe the collective masses are just right. Last time I checked, Ted doesn't walk on water and hasn't added an interior linebacker with a high draft pick since Hawk. Maybe it's time once again.

I did like the play where he stuck Gore in the hole at the line of scrimmage, but those types of plays are way too far in between each other for the cabbage he's pulling in.
buckeyepackfan  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:17:41 PM(UTC)
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post

....................T-A....S
B. Jones........7-3....0......0..... 0.....0
C. Matthews...7-1...1.......0.....0......0
S. Shields......7-2....0......0.... 0......0
A. Hawk.........6-3...0.......0.....0......0
M. Jennings....6-1...0.......0.....0......0

So Hawk missed at least 6 solo tackles in the game.

Funny, I've watched the game a couple of times, The whole front 7 were pretty solid, 49rs attempted 34 runs, gained a total of 90yds, I don't know about you but I'll take that any game.

But hey if you say Hawk missed at least 7 solo tackles, I.m pretty sure he did.

Just can't seem to find them on the tape. :-k Guess I'll have to go back and look again, can't believe I can't see 7 or more missed tackles by one player.

#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:30:41 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan said: Go to Quoted Post
....................T-A....S
B. Jones........7-3....0......0..... 0.....0
C. Matthews...7-1...1.......0.....0......0
S. Shields......7-2....0......0.... 0......0
A. Hawk.........6-3...0.......0.....0......0
M. Jennings....6-1...0.......0.....0......0

So Hawk missed at least 6 solo tackles in the game.

Funny, I've watched the game a couple of times, The whole front 7 were pretty solid, 49rs attempted 34 runs, gained a total of 90yds, I don't know about you but I'll take that any game.

But hey if you say Hawk missed at least 7 solo tackles, I.m pretty sure he did.

Just can't seem to find them on the tape. :-k Guess I'll have to go back and look again, can't believe I can't see 7 or more missed tackles by one player.

Maybe if you took off your Scarlett and Silver goggles while watching the Packers you could see what the rest of us do.

You really do amuse me at times Buckeye. Keep it up, buddy!
PackFanWithTwins  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:36:48 PM(UTC)
Pickett is a rock against the run. So is Jolly. Raji is not. Pickett occupies 2 players, so does Jolly; Raji too often can be moved with one. Jolly first takes Raji's reps against the run when Pickett is in there. Takes Pickett's only as part of "rotation" to spell the Big Grease. I don't think he gets to the point where he's the best run option; Pickett is quiet, but he's very, very good.

But the reason Jolly ends up taking Raji's spot is against the pass. Or will unless there is a "light a fire" factor. Jolly isn't there yet. But he's hungry enough that he will get there. Raji, IMO, will continue to be all world in spurts....and maddeningly nothing much in others.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic about Jolly re: the pass. He was always stouter against the run than he was against the pass, after all. But it's weird: despite his being the wrong side of 29, I think he's got more potential than Raji.

The reason I say he will take Pickett snaps and not Raji is because when we want to play the run, it will mostly be those three big boys plugging the middle. I don't expect either Pickett or Jolly to be in on pure pass downs, those will be filled by Wilson, Jones, Neal, Daniels. So that leaves occasions when we want both run and pass both, and in those situations, Jolly is better suited. He can hold the point against a double, and he has a better push in pass rush.
Rss Feed