You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#31 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:16:05 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 472

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Nah, only three.

I want a dominant line. The best quarterback in the league deserves a dominant line. The most important team in the league deserves a dominant line. The best sports fans in the known universe deserve a dominant line.

Even if Bulaga were completely healthy, even if the Packers had zero injuries on the OL all year, this OL corps would not be dominant. Yah, we're starting T's #3 and #4. Why are you so convinced that said #1 and #2 are good enough if they are healthy.

IMO, and I said this back in February or whenever GB decided on the switch of Bulaga and Sitton to the other side, even had there been no injuries, the team was going to be entering training camp with substantial questions at four of the five OL positions (arguably 5, but I was and am willing to assume that Sitton would still be a stud despite the switch). That should not be the case entering year nine.

And, no, Thompson does not get a pass from me for those first years because Mike McCarthy wanted small/quick OL. Two reasons: i. GM hires coach, not coach dictates to GM. 2. He didn't get good small/quick OL either. Guy McIntyre was small but a very good OG, even when he played for us; a young Guy McIntyre could be a great OL today. Same for Gale Gillingham. And that's just guys whose names start with G.

When Mike McCarthy wanted the small guys, he didn't provide good enough ones. After Mike McCarthy changed his mind, he still hasn't provided enough good ones.

If you are content with "servicable" or "good enough" on the OL, you need to be aiming higher. I give Ted Thompson an A for effort at creating the proper line. But performance provides the grade.

Strive to be good enough, and you end up third rate. Strive to D O M I N A T E!

Having to start our #s 3 and 4 guys isn't ideal. But the fact that we are able to do so and get by with it, while having depth to spare is a tribute to Ted's work. Not many teams could do that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Wade  
#32 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:50:44 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 560
Applause Received: 587

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
You always hear announcers and analysts talking about how you need to get a RB lathered up, that they get better as the game goes on. That is actually incorrect.

The reason backs and running games get better as the game goes on is because the offensive line wears down the defensive front so there are bigger holes. What needs to get lathered up is the Oline, the more they run block, the better they become because defensive lineman tire more when being pushed back, rather than them pushing forward.

We never give our oline a chance to get going.

This is a good point. Though to be fair to McCarthy, he did stay with the run throughout the game agains SF. Even when behind in the fourth quarter.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Wade  
#33 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:54:36 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 560
Applause Received: 587

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Having to start our #s 3 and 4 guys isn't ideal. But the fact that we are able to do so and get by with it, while having depth to spare is a tribute to Ted's work. Not many teams could do that.

Ok. It is true. He's good at getting adequate backups.

That sort of tends to be the case, though, whenever you aren't getting enough starter-quality players. A team that has 3-4 backup quality starters has 3-4 more backups.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 9/12/2013(UTC), wpr on 9/12/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#34 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:39:25 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 472

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Ok. It is true. He's good at getting adequate backups.

That sort of tends to be the case, though, whenever you aren't getting enough starter-quality players. A team that has 3-4 backup quality starters has 3-4 more backups.

Bulaga is a pro bowl calibur OL when healthy. So is Sitton. Two out of five.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#35 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:16:31 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

Things in this thread seem to be headed in the WRONG direction. Thankfully, I doubt whether Mike McCarthy is reading this thread for advice on offensive strategies.

Once and for all, we do NOT need to run first to set up the pass. Somebody said hit 'em hard early - presumably with the passing game, and then let Lacy eat up the clock in the fourth quarter. Yeah, that sounds like a plan - provided we have a big enough lead so throwing away possessions by that running doesn't cost us the game. Just don't employ a strategy like that - as we did way too many times and wasted way too many possessions while the issue was still in doubt in the Niner game.

This Packer team has had the best offense in the league, lack of a quality RB and lack of a decent O Line notwithstanding, ever since Aaron Rodgers took over. We now seemingly have a quality RB. Let's make some progress toward getting a decent O Line, and let's continue(?) improving the defense, BUT WHILE WE ARE DOING SO, LET'S NOT GET AWAY FROM WHAT GOT US WHERE WE ARE - an overwhelmingly successful pass first offense.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.