Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:40:20 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,147
Applause Received: 1,518

JSOnline wrote:
The up-tempo play of the Packers’ no-huddle offense can have a downside. If the offense can’t sustain a drive, the defense is back on the field quickly.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:45:07 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post


It's not just if they don't sustain drives.

What it does is it gives Kaepernick THAT MANY more offensive snaps. Which in turn leaves Boldin wide open THAT MANY more times.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline gbguy20  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:58:32 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

JSOnline wrote:
The up-tempo play of the Packers’ no-huddle offense can have a downside. If the offense can’t sustain a drive, the defense is back on the field quickly.


hence the 40/20 time of possession week 1. We had way too many 3 and outs last week and I'm hoping that issue is fixed this week. Dominate those redskins.
call me Dan
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:06:29 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
hence the 40/20 time of possession week 1. We had way too many 3 and outs last week and I'm hoping that issue is fixed this week. Dominate those redskins.


Even when we scored, it was in under 2:00 for 6-8 play drives.

The no-huddle is cool for locking in defensive players and preventing substitutions, but that doesn't mean you can't run the clock down. Just snap the ball if the defense tries to sub.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nyrpack  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:07:28 AM(UTC)
nyrpack

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)
Location: long island, ny

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 62

if it worked for philly, it can work for us !!
jimmy b.
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:36:03 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: nyrpack Go to Quoted Post
if it worked for philly, it can work for us !!


Philly will be 8-8 at best.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:01:22 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 666
Applause Received: 1,372

The no huddle offense should be used to build double digit leads. The problem with the offense is that the time of possession battle is conceded, and that is not a good formula against physical, running teams. Add in the problem GB has of getting off the field on third down, and our defense could get worn down by mid season.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 9/15/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:31:24 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

How is it that we are not coaches, etc., but can plainly see this is not working? What is it that makes McCarthy choose to complicate matters by refusing to change?

SF is a clear possession type of team with an explosive offense, equally adept run and pass. The plan should always be to limit opportunities to an opponent like this.

You have a new running game. Why are they not utilized? Why are they not ready? Does McCarthy get an extra week of preseason, a free pass?

Seems like it. This game is easier than he makes it out to be. No huddle is great in certain situations, but not all the time. We are beating ourselves going to it so often.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:53:09 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 481
Applause Received: 292

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
How is it that we are not coaches, etc., but can plainly see this is not working? What is it that makes McCarthy choose to complicate matters by refusing to change?

SF is a clear possession type of team with an explosive offense, equally adept run and pass. The plan should always be to limit opportunities to an opponent like this.

You have a new running game. Why are they not utilized? Why are they not ready? Does McCarthy get an extra week of preseason, a free pass?

Seems like it. This game is easier than he makes it out to be. No huddle is great in certain situations, but not all the time. We are beating ourselves going to it so often.


Time of possession is overrated. Over-utilizing our "new running game" is overrated. You don't play to match the other team; You play to your own strength, and clearly, the thing that has worked the best for the Packers in building the great record we have had the last several years is up-tempo/no huddle offense, and most specifically, Aaron Rodgers passing the ball down the field. Sure, throw in a few runs, especially if it seems to be working and/or the weather is crappy like possibly today, but DON'T waste possessions by going to a run-first situation as happened at the beginning of each half last week. And of course you don't go no huddle all the time - not with a big lead late, etc. - but most of the time? Hell Yeah!

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:01:03 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,706
Applause Received: 664

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Time of possession is overrated. Over-utilizing our "new running game" is overrated. You don't play to match the other team; You play to your own strength, and clearly, the thing that has worked the best for the Packers in building the great record we have had the last several years is up-tempo/no huddle offense, and most specifically, Aaron Rodgers passing the ball down the field. Sure, throw in a few runs, especially if it seems to be working and/or the weather is crappy like possibly today, but DON'T waste possessions by going to a run-first situation as happened at the beginning of each half last week. And of course you don't go no huddle all the time - not with a big lead late, etc. - but most of the time? Hell Yeah!



Just because you're going no-huddle, doesn't mean you can't drain the clock when you get to the LoS.

Mike and Aaron just don't WANT to do that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / hardrocker950

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / The_Green_Ninja

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88