Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 5:40:20 AM(UTC)
JSOnline said:
The up-tempo play of the Packers’ no-huddle offense can have a downside. If the offense can’t sustain a drive, the defense is back on the field quickly.
nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:45:07 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post

It's not just if they don't sustain drives.

What it does is it gives Kaepernick THAT MANY more offensive snaps. Which in turn leaves Boldin wide open THAT MANY more times.
gbguy20  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:58:32 AM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post

JSOnline wrote:
The up-tempo play of the Packers’ no-huddle offense can have a downside. If the offense can’t sustain a drive, the defense is back on the field quickly.

hence the 40/20 time of possession week 1. We had way too many 3 and outs last week and I'm hoping that issue is fixed this week. Dominate those redskins.
nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:06:29 AM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
hence the 40/20 time of possession week 1. We had way too many 3 and outs last week and I'm hoping that issue is fixed this week. Dominate those redskins.

Even when we scored, it was in under 2:00 for 6-8 play drives.

The no-huddle is cool for locking in defensive players and preventing substitutions, but that doesn't mean you can't run the clock down. Just snap the ball if the defense tries to sub.
nyrpack  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:07:28 AM(UTC)
if it worked for philly, it can work for us !!
nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:36:03 AM(UTC)
nyrpack said: Go to Quoted Post
if it worked for philly, it can work for us !!

Philly will be 8-8 at best.
DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:01:22 AM(UTC)
The no huddle offense should be used to build double digit leads. The problem with the offense is that the time of possession battle is conceded, and that is not a good formula against physical, running teams. Add in the problem GB has of getting off the field on third down, and our defense could get worn down by mid season.
play2win  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:31:24 AM(UTC)
How is it that we are not coaches, etc., but can plainly see this is not working? What is it that makes McCarthy choose to complicate matters by refusing to change?

SF is a clear possession type of team with an explosive offense, equally adept run and pass. The plan should always be to limit opportunities to an opponent like this.

You have a new running game. Why are they not utilized? Why are they not ready? Does McCarthy get an extra week of preseason, a free pass?

Seems like it. This game is easier than he makes it out to be. No huddle is great in certain situations, but not all the time. We are beating ourselves going to it so often.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:53:09 AM(UTC)
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
How is it that we are not coaches, etc., but can plainly see this is not working? What is it that makes McCarthy choose to complicate matters by refusing to change?

SF is a clear possession type of team with an explosive offense, equally adept run and pass. The plan should always be to limit opportunities to an opponent like this.

You have a new running game. Why are they not utilized? Why are they not ready? Does McCarthy get an extra week of preseason, a free pass?

Seems like it. This game is easier than he makes it out to be. No huddle is great in certain situations, but not all the time. We are beating ourselves going to it so often.

Time of possession is overrated. Over-utilizing our "new running game" is overrated. You don't play to match the other team; You play to your own strength, and clearly, the thing that has worked the best for the Packers in building the great record we have had the last several years is up-tempo/no huddle offense, and most specifically, Aaron Rodgers passing the ball down the field. Sure, throw in a few runs, especially if it seems to be working and/or the weather is crappy like possibly today, but DON'T waste possessions by going to a run-first situation as happened at the beginning of each half last week. And of course you don't go no huddle all the time - not with a big lead late, etc. - but most of the time? Hell Yeah!

nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:01:03 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
Time of possession is overrated. Over-utilizing our "new running game" is overrated. You don't play to match the other team; You play to your own strength, and clearly, the thing that has worked the best for the Packers in building the great record we have had the last several years is up-tempo/no huddle offense, and most specifically, Aaron Rodgers passing the ball down the field. Sure, throw in a few runs, especially if it seems to be working and/or the weather is crappy like possibly today, but DON'T waste possessions by going to a run-first situation as happened at the beginning of each half last week. And of course you don't go no huddle all the time - not with a big lead late, etc. - but most of the time? Hell Yeah!

Just because you're going no-huddle, doesn't mean you can't drain the clock when you get to the LoS.

Mike and Aaron just don't WANT to do that.
buckeyepackfan  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:12:43 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Just because you're going no-huddle, doesn't mean you can't drain the clock when you get to the LoS.

Mike and Aaron just don't WANT to do that.

RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes
play2win  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:13:11 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post

Time of possession is not over rated against a high powered offense like SF. You keep that shit on the sidelines as long as possible.

You seem to think we can do anything we want at any time offensively. That clearly has not been the case going on 2 years now.

Maybe we are seeing the game differently. I don't see McCarthy employing the best game plans. I don't see him going the extra mile to insure his players are ready. I don't see him exacting a will upon our opponents.

Going no huddle against SF was not smart in my opinion. Quite the opposite.
Rss Feed