Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:30:15 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Select Member

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,284
Applause Received: 1,581

WTMJ wrote:
Two helmet-to-helmet hits on Green Bay Packers running backs have Washington safety Brandon Meriweather a little lighter in the pocketbook.
Tom Pelissero
Confirmed #Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather fined $42K (on twitter).

Message modified by user Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:21:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: I can't edit correctly when on the phone

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:53:21 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: Senior Member

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 404
Applause Received: 494


I would say he should be suspended as long as Lacy is out, but he will already be out that long.

Will be interested to see if he learned anything when he does get back.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:23:11 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Select Member

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,284
Applause Received: 1,581

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I would say he should be suspended as long as Lacy is out, but he will already be out that long.

Will be interested to see if he learned anything when he does get back.


doubtful.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:23:34 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: Senior Member

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 1,062

I guess they figured the suspension Starks gave him was enough.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 9/18/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:25:43 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: Senior Member

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 178
Applause Received: 347

"punished"
UserPostedImage
Offline Dulak  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:08:55 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 1/19/2009(UTC)
Location: London, UK (from kenosha)

Applause Given: 189
Applause Received: 112

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
"punished"


ya nice! - Glad at least he got a fine even thou no penalty was called ... man just watched the san fran seattle game ... just as rough of a game but this time san fran was on the other end.

Offline K_Buz  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:09:21 PM(UTC)
K_Buz

Rank: Member

Joined: 8/17/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 41

Slap on the wrist. Nothing in the NFL will ever change with these types of penalties. Two perfect shots of Meriweather targeting the head of a runner, and succeeding, and all they can come up with is 42K?
Offline mi_keys  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:15:34 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 254
Applause Received: 392

He's been fined $40K for a helmet-to-helmet hit before (after winning an appeal to decrease the fine from $50K)... that extra $2K on a 7 digit salary will learn him!
Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 9/18/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:56:56 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: Veteran Member

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 511
Applause Received: 331

The victim is a Packer in this case, so I'm all for as heavy a punishment as possible, but sometime, the shoe will be on the other foot - or even just somebody hitting whoever the hell it is.

Call me evil; Call me old-fashioned; Whatever, but I just can't get into this whole mentality of no helmet to helmet/put a skirt on the QBs/ don't hit a "defenseless" receiver/ all that silly crap.

These guys get paid multiple millions to play a fun game that almost any of us would give almost anything to be good enough to play. Part of what they get paid so much for IMNHO, is the risk - and really it is a damn small risk even with helmet to helmet contact - of getting their brains scrambled. If they aren't up to that risk, let them quit the game and give up that HUGE money they get paid.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline steveishere  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:06:19 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: Senior Member

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 1,062

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
The victim is a Packer in this case, so I'm all for as heavy a punishment as possible, but sometime, the shoe will be on the other foot - or even just somebody hitting whoever the hell it is.

Call me evil; Call me old-fashioned; Whatever, but I just can't get into this whole mentality of no helmet to helmet/put a skirt on the QBs/ don't hit a "defenseless" receiver/ all that silly crap.

These guys get paid multiple millions to play a fun game that almost any of us would give almost anything to be good enough to play. Part of what they get paid so much for IMNHO, is the risk - and really it is a damn small risk even with helmet to helmet contact - of getting their brains scrambled. If they aren't up to that risk, let them quit the game and give up that HUGE money they get paid.


Letting them take the risk cost the guys who write the checks a lot of money. Whether anyone likes it or not that = change. Also the truth is we don't really know that much about the human brain and how impacts like that effect it. Unless you are some sort of brain expert you aren't really very qualified to say it's a "really damn small risk".
Offline musccy  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:14:37 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 326
Applause Received: 315

Originally Posted by: K_Buz Go to Quoted Post
Slap on the wrist. Nothing in the NFL will ever change with these types of penalties. Two perfect shots of Meriweather targeting the head of a runner, and succeeding, and all they can come up with is 42K?


As was stated above, I think the NFL took into account that he sort of suspended himself already.

Offline sschind  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:47:48 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: Member

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 498

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Also the truth is we don't really know that much about the human brain and how impacts like that effect it.


The truth is football is a dangerous sport and they knew that when they signed on and that is all that matters so screw you and your we don't really know that much about the human brain
crap.


That was sarcasm by the way
Every team has fans that fans of other teams point to and say "all their fans are assholes" Don't be one of those fans.
Offline steveishere  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:48:11 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: Senior Member

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 1,062

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
The truth is football is a dangerous sport and they knew that when they signed on and that is all that matters so screw you and your we don't really know that much about the human brain
crap.


That was sarcasm by the way


That sarcasm makes me so mad you jerk!

[boxing]
Offline DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:35:37 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Honored Member

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 719
Applause Received: 1,483

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
The truth is football is a dangerous sport and they knew that when they signed on and that is all that matters so screw you and your we don't really know that much about the human brain
crap.


That was sarcasm by the way


Football is dangerous enough without a bunch of jackoffs intentionally trying to injure one another. Merriweather should have been banned a whole season. That jackass James Harrison should have had a lifetime ban with all his cheap shots.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:44:17 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: Veteran Member

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 511
Applause Received: 331

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Letting them take the risk cost the guys who write the checks a lot of money. Whether anyone likes it or not that = change. Also the truth is we don't really know that much about the human brain and how impacts like that effect it. Unless you are some sort of brain expert you aren't really very qualified to say it's a "really damn small risk".


I'll say the same thing sschind said, except it AIN'T sarcasm. I don't have any sympathy for anybody makes who knows how many million $ playing a fun game KNOWING he is risking messing up his future life from brain injury. I also have little or no sympathy for the people writing the checks for those salaries (even less for the God damned lawyers and agents sticking their noses into the controversy).

As for the "small risk" you take the sum total of all NFL players and the sum total of all significant long term brain problems as a fraction of that, and hell yeah it is small. Furthermore, you take the sum total of all head first hits or even helmet to helmet hits, and the sum total of all even short term brain injuries - concussions as a fraction of that, and I'd venture to say that is a pretty small fraction also.

Besides, as I said, anybody not willing to take the risk can always quit and pass up that HUGE money for playing a fun game. I don't see very many doing that. Therefore, why make it less risky just because some namby pamby fools get all sanctimonious about the rare consequences?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error


Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / shield4life

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Tweeter