Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:57:34 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

PFT

Quote:
During a separate appearance on PFT Live, Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland suggested that other players acquired before Jimmy Haslam bought the team could be available, including receiver Josh Gordon, receiver Greg Little, and left tackle Joe Thomas.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:16:58 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post


Do you think they'd take next years first, Bulaga, and case of Miller?

I don't remember the year the Browns got a team back, but shouldn't their rebuilding have been completed by now? That organization is an embarrassment.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:13:03 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 483
Applause Received: 294

This seems like the kind of situation Ted Thompson just tunes out of - case closed. I would absolutely love for the Packers to get Joe Thomas for a reasonable price, but I really don't think it is gonna happen. It would be an absolute damn shame if some other team needing O Line help got him - the Bears for example.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Yerko  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:31:16 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 264

I'm split on this because I know Joe Thomas is one helluva a left tackle and it would be nice having him on the Packers but then I realize Ted is in charge and it will never happen and for some reason, I become okay with that. Shrug

I just tried talking myself into believing that. NOPE.
I'd trade my 1st round for him. I'm tired of the games on the offensive line and just the thought of Thomas and Sitton together is incredible...an incredible dream.
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 4:52:35 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I'm split on this because I know Joe Thomas is one helluva a left tackle and it would be nice having him on the Packers but then I realize Ted is in charge and it will never happen and for some reason, I become okay with that. Shrug

I just tried talking myself into believing that. NOPE.
I'd trade my 1st round for him. I'm tired of the games on the offensive line and just the thought of Thomas and Sitton together is incredible...an incredible dream.


I was wavering about if I'd want to use a 1st for him and as I read through your post, my thought process was we could use that first on potential and end up with a Sherrod or Harrell, or obtain a guarantee for that pick, since we know Thomas can excel in the NFL.

With that said, as you and others mentioned it just isn't going to happen with Ted, which I too have become content with.
Offline Since69  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 4:57:10 AM(UTC)
Since69

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/2/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83

Ted, we've had a love/hate relationship for years now. Every piece of advice I've offered, every suggestion I've screamed at the TV on draft day, has fallen on your competent, but deaf, ears.

Listen to me now.

Joe Thomas is supremely talented and as Packer People-ish as they come. Go get him. If there's even a chance that he's available, and you're serious about keeping Aaron upright (and bringing home another championship), you need to break out of your comfort zone (like you did with Woodson) and make Cleveland an offer they can't refuse TODAY.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 9/20/2013(UTC), play2win on 9/20/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 5:25:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

I don't believe Ted Thompson has every signed, traded for, or anything a Wisconsin Badger.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Pack93z on 9/20/2013(UTC), gotarace on 9/20/2013(UTC)
Online steveishere  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 5:29:23 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

I don't see it. Cleveland most likely is looking to get a franchise QB next year. They aren't going to get rid of their LT and leave a giant hole in their line for their rookie QB.
Offline mi_keys  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 5:52:26 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 227
Applause Received: 359

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I don't believe Ted Thompson has every signed, traded for, or anything a Wisconsin Badger.


Didn't we just sign Scott Tolzien at the end of roster cutdowns?
Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 9/20/2013(UTC)
Offline olds70supreme  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 6:24:32 AM(UTC)
olds70supreme

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/10/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 44

On top of all that, the Packers already have enough tough salary cap decisions to make, adding an excellent player like Joe Thomas isn't going to help that.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 6:42:56 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I don't believe Ted Thompson has every signed, traded for, or anything a Wisconsin Badger.


Yes he is a hater... but Scott Tolzien is on the roster currently.. practice squad.


The only concern here would be.. salary cap constraints with a blue chip left tackle like this at this time in his spot in his career. What impact would that have on resigning players like James Jones, Finley, Raji.. etc.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 6:57:51 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I don't believe Ted Thompson has every signed, traded for, or anything a Wisconsin Badger.


I was wondering that too.

Like others have said, salary cap crunch issues ahead as well.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline Since69  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 9:51:15 AM(UTC)
Since69

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/2/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post

The only concern here would be.. salary cap constraints with a blue chip left tackle like this at this time in his spot in his career. What impact would that have on resigning players like James Jones, Finley, Raji.. etc.



Left Tackle is the second most important position on the team. If talent is available I say go out and get it and worry about the money later. I'd rather pay Joe Thomas than some rookie running back...
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 9:53:30 AM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl MVP

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 204

I brought this up in another thread and said give our 1st seeing it would be late 20's, but i don't see Ted Thompson doing this after all h drafted the guys on the line or found them on the waiver wire and thats how he likes it.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 10:07:27 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 483
Applause Received: 294

Cap issues can almost always be worked out. My best solution would be skip trying to re-sign Raji, but I know some have a higher opinion of Raji than I do. The most probable way would include a re-structuring with Aaron Rodgers.

Right now this is all smoke generated by fans, but hopefully Ted Thompson gives this a good try even if it cost more than just a first round pick. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline yooperfan  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 10:14:29 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

The only way Ted Thompson will be involved in a Joe Thomas deal is if Joe falls out of the sky into Ted's lap with a bow around his neck that says, I play for minimum wage.
It ain't happening!
Online steveishere  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 10:14:45 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: Since69 Go to Quoted Post
Left Tackle is the second most important position on the team. If talent is available I say go out and get it and worry about the money later. I'd rather pay Joe Thomas than some rookie running back...


Not really. I could agree that offensive line is 2nd most important position group but LT is just 1 spot of that group. A RT that's constantly getting blown up is going to cause just as much disruption as your LT sucking. LT as a position is very overrated. I would rather spread money out along the offensive line as a whole for average/above average players than dish out a ton to 1 elite player. Joe Thomas makes close to Clay Matthews like money but he sure as hell doesn't impact games like Clay does.

Having a top LT would be sweet but I wouldn't want to use too many resources on one.
Offline hardrocker950  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 10:44:12 AM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/10/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 73
Applause Received: 90

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Not really. I could agree that offensive line is 2nd most important position group but LT is just 1 spot of that group. A RT that's constantly getting blown up is going to cause just as much disruption as your LT sucking. LT as a position is very overrated. I would rather spread money out along the offensive line as a whole for average/above average players than dish out a ton to 1 elite player. Joe Thomas makes close to Clay Matthews like money but he sure as hell doesn't impact games like Clay does.

Having a top LT would be sweet but I wouldn't want to use too many resources on one.


Ya I don't see this likely either. Unless we end up in dire need of a LT and nobody else is fit for the job, you can bet that Ted wouldn't make it happen. Even if the occasion would arise - he would probably look in the bargain basement for a replacement. Personally I just don't think what he brings to the table is enough to sway our GM.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline mi_keys  
#19 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 10:47:33 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 227
Applause Received: 359

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
The only way Ted Thompson will be involved in a Joe Thomas deal is if Joe falls out of the sky into Ted's lap with a bow around his neck that says, I play for minimum wage.
It ain't happening!


Former home town discount? Big Grin
Born and bred a cheesehead
Online wpr  
#20 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 11:32:00 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
I brought this up in another thread and said give our 1st seeing it would be late 20's, but i don't see Ted Thompson doing this after all h drafted the guys on the line or found them on the waiver wire and thats how he likes it.


#32 my friend.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 4 applause.
mi_keys on 9/20/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 9/20/2013(UTC), Yerko on 9/20/2013(UTC), macbob on 9/20/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#21 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 12:27:50 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,097
Applause Received: 530

If Thomas goes anywhere, it would probably be to replace Ryan Clady for the Broncos. Although, that may cause too much trouble next season. But the Broncos should be all in now, imo.
Offline macbob  
#22 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 3:35:23 PM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 252

The thought of getting Joe Thomas makes me drool. I just don't see Ted Thompson going for it with having to part with draft pick(s), and the contract issues.

spotrac.com wrote:

Joe Thomas' contract:

............Base Salary.........Cap hit
2013:....10,000,000.......11,400,000
2014:....10,900,000.......12,300,000
2015:.... 8,800,000.......10,200,000
2016:.... 8,300,000....... 9,500,000
2017:.... 8,800,000.......10,000,000
2018:.... 8,800,000.......10,000,000
2019: UFA
UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#23 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 6:35:55 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
This seems like the kind of situation Ted Thompson just tunes out of - case closed. I would absolutely love for the Packers to get Joe Thomas for a reasonable price, but I really don't think it is gonna happen. It would be an absolute damn shame if some other team needing O Line help got him - the Bears for example.


What is a reasonable price? It happens every time a big name becomes available. You start to see comments like "We should go after him if he is cheap enough." well, I can assure you Joe Thomas will not be cheap. He won't be had for a first rounder like Richardson (I know you threw in Bulaga and the case of Miller) but I don't think that would even be enough.

If they start a fire sale and get rid of guys like Gordon and Thomas they might as well figure its a 5 year plan at least.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 9/20/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#24 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 9:45:40 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 483
Applause Received: 294

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
What is a reasonable price? It happens every time a big name becomes available. You start to see comments like "We should go after him if he is cheap enough." well, I can assure you Joe Thomas will not be cheap. He won't be had for a first rounder like Richardson (I know you threw in Bulaga and the case of Miller) but I don't think that would even be enough.

If they start a fire sale and get rid of guys like Gordon and Thomas they might as well figure its a 5 year plan at least.


The "Bulaga and a case of Miller" thing was from Dakota's post, not mine hahahahaha. To me, reasonable is our first round pick plus one or more additional draft picks - 1st, 3rd, and 5th for example.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline porky88  
#25 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 10:45:01 PM(UTC)
porky88

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Joined: 4/26/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

Joe Thomas will be 29 this December. While I would absolutely welcome him in green and gold, I wouldn't bet on the Packers parting with a first-round pick for him. I could see a team dangling a player and a two for him. This does sound like speculation and not actual reporting, though. If the Browns are serious about landing a franchise QB in next year's draft, then having Thomas around to protect his blindside would be a major asset.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / stevegb

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann