Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:53:12 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

Mike Florio wrote:
When we said that Bengals safety George Iloka would be getting a package from the league, we were technically wr-wr-wr-inaccurate. He's already gotten it. Per a league source, Iloka was fined $15,000 for the hit applied to the head of Packers tight end Jermichael Finley when Finley was in a defenseless posture. The fine, communicated...
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:01:31 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,299

Who gives a fuck! Where was the penalty?
UserPostedImage
Offline hardrocker950  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:13:05 PM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 63
Applause Received: 58

Not talking I just don't get this...
Aside from the argument of whether it was intentional - something else is more alarming to me. How many times have we seen a non-call, later to become a fine? This tells me that either the officials don't see the rules the same as the leauge, or they are playing favorites. I just can't see it any other way. The inconsistancy disturbs me - and has actually made some of my friends mad to the point of not watching football anymore.

If these hits were flagged/fined in a consistant manner I wouldn't be so sceptical.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 9/24/2013(UTC)
Offline mi_keys  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:47:58 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 201
Applause Received: 340

It was the single most egregious personal foul of the day. I called it out the moment it happened. Not flagged. Not talked about.

We then get ticky tacky calls the rest of the day. No consistency. No competence. No purpose.

Fire each and every last official. We need full-time officials, not part-time lawyers with a football hobby. And axe Goodell and all his croonies for their, at best, complacency in all of this; and for their seemingly arbitrary and ineffective discipline.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Dulak on 9/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:14:38 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 94

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
It was the single most egregious personal foul of the day. I called it out the moment it happened. Not flagged. Not talked about.

We then get ticky tacky calls the rest of the day. No consistency. No competence. No purpose.

Fire each and every last official. We need full-time officials, not part-time lawyers with a football hobby. And axe Goodell and all his croonies for their, at best, complacency in all of this; and for their seemingly arbitrary and ineffective discipline.

I agree something needs to be done. We are still seeing helmet to helmet hits; and they appear to be intentional; 2 of our guys out due to concussion. Really doesnt make any sense. And listening to aikemans comments during the game about this is how football should be played ... had enough of him.
Offline dhazer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:27:33 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 191

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
I agree something needs to be done. We are still seeing helmet to helmet hits; and they appear to be intentional; 2 of our guys out due to concussion. Really doesnt make any sense. And listening to aikemans comments during the game about this is how football should be played ... had enough of him.

I personally liked Aikman's statement. Football is a game of contact, this is not flag football yet. If you ever played football when you were younger you were taught run thru the guy or hit him hard and make sure he thinks twice abut coming across the middle. I see everyone bitching about this call but what about the gift we got for the roughing the passer on Rodgers where the guy really didn't do anything wrong. The game these days makes me so sick, the nfl has turned into arena football. I really don't think the greats like a Ronnie Lott, Donnie Shell, Jack Tatum or hell even Leroy Butler would be able to play in the current NFL because they would be suspended all the time or fined so much they wouldn't make any money. I have come to the conclusion that NHL players deserve to paid more money than an NFL player just because they actually are in a rougher sport.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:23:32 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,306
Applause Received: 577

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
I personally liked Aikman's statement. Football is a game of contact, this is not flag football yet. If you ever played football when you were younger you were taught run thru the guy or hit him hard and make sure he thinks twice abut coming across the middle. I see everyone bitching about this call but what about the gift we got for the roughing the passer on Rodgers where the guy really didn't do anything wrong. The game these days makes me so sick, the nfl has turned into arena football. I really don't think the greats like a Ronnie Lott, Donnie Shell, Jack Tatum or hell even Leroy Butler would be able to play in the current NFL because they would be suspended all the time or fined so much they wouldn't make any money. I have come to the conclusion that NHL players deserve to paid more money than an NFL player just because they actually are in a rougher sport.

Even in the old days, you couldn't spear or take free shots to a dude's head.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:27:21 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 101
Applause Received: 390

Well, I guess I am in the minority on this because I didn't see a problem with the hit. At least not enough of one to draw a penalty or fine. He didn't hit with his helmet (that I saw) he hit him with his shoulder pad. Yeah, he hit his head but when you have a receiver diving at you its kind of difficult to hit him in the chest.

I don;t think it was a cheap shot and I don't think it was intentional.

The cheap shot that pissed me off was when Burffect hit Taylor in the nads.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline hardrocker950  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:31:05 AM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 63
Applause Received: 58

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post

The biggest issue I have is the conflict between the rules involving conccussed players and helmet to helmet hits. If guys are going to intentionally hit guys in the head to take them out of the game, they need to flag that shit. In reality these guys get a slap on the wrist for taking out key players to give them a better chance to win.Duh!

Doesn't anyone else see the stupidity of this stuff?
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline steveishere  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:44:35 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 809

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Well, I guess I am in the minority on this because I didn't see a problem with the hit. At least not enough of one to draw a penalty or fine. He didn't hit with his helmet (that I saw) he hit him with his shoulder pad. Yeah, he hit his head but when you have a receiver diving at you its kind of difficult to hit him in the chest.

I haven't seen anyone say it was a cheap shot or intentional. Nobody is ripping Iloka personally like we did with Meriweather but it was a hit that should have been a penalty, hence the fine.
Offline mi_keys  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:41:50 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 201
Applause Received: 340

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post

As I posted when the hit occurred, the rule states you can't hit a defenseless receiver in the head with the helmet, shoulder, arm or really anything with a forceable blow. In this situation it didn't have to be a helmet to helmet hit.

It was't a cheap shot; it just looked negligent. He hit Finley's head, and nothing but his head, with his left shoulder as he went to the right of him. He wasn't remotely close to hitting anything but the head. He took a shit angle to the play if he wanted to try something legal.

And to Dhazer, some of us, myself included, are also complaining about the ticky tacky bullshit calls. It's an automatic 15 yards if the guy is a half step out of bounds. I miss the days where you had to blow the guy up 5 yards out of bounds to get a call. Breathing on the quarterback is foul. They flag shit if the very top of the helmet grazes the bottom of the opposing player's facemask in a hit that's otherwise a shoulder to the chest. All of this annoys me as much if not more than anyone else I know. And all of these miss the entire point if the point is truly player safety (I think it's higher scoring because that sells, but that's aside the point).

There's a difference between the the blatant head shots (Meriweather), which serve no purpose to the game, risk severe injury, and really should be cut out; the negligent hits (Iloka), which should also be discouraged; and the incidental to borderline, which in most cases I don't think should be called. Yet, the flags have come more so for the incidental/borderline and remain strangely absent for the most obvious of head shots.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:48:17 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

My best guess is, the reason there was no penalty thrown is because it wasn't helmet to helmet, even though it was illegal by the same rule. Officals have just been trained to watch for the helmet to helmet. Personally, I am sick of all these penalties. Penalties don't change the players actions. The only thing that does, is lots of money being taken and suspensions.

What I think the league should do is take the penalty away unless it is a spear like it was back before they started all this defenseless player junk. Flag for spears and leave the rest go during the game. And then let the league go over each tape and look at all the hits, and fine and suspend for the "illegal" ones.

There are just to many flags changing the game from incidental contact.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:51:53 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
As I posted when the hit occurred, the rule states you can't hit a defenseless receiver in the head with the helmet, shoulder, arm or really anything with a forceable blow. In this situation it didn't have to be a helmet to helmet hit.

It was't a cheap shot; it just looked negligent. He hit Finley's head, and nothing but his head, with his left shoulder as he went to the right of him. He wasn't remotely close to hitting anything but the head. He took a sh!t angle to the play if he wanted to try something legal.

When I watched and rewatched the play, it never looked like he was even trying to hit Finley, It looked like he was going after the ball the full time.

The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:24:18 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 179
Applause Received: 336

You can't fine every player every time there‘s a concussion. You can normally tell whether a player is looking to strike a guy intentionally in the head. What Brandon Meriweather did was intentional. George Iloka was just playing football.

It’s time the NFL places these plays along with roughing the passer calls up for review. For example, in the San Francisco and Indianapolis game, they flagged Donte Whitner because a play looked violent. Replays showed there was no head-to-head collision, though. I think a coach should be able to challenge that penalty. If not, the refs are basically handing out 15 free yards. It’s becoming detrimental to the game. It's impossible to regulate these hits without influencing the outcome. I'm glad the NFL is doing something about cheap shots, but these rules need tweaking.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:16:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PackFanWithTwins on 9/25/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed