Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 7:30:09 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 9/30/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Wade  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 8:19:57 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 645
Applause Received: 657

Damn, that's some good stuff.

Thanks, Kevin!
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 2:05:03 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 404
Applause Received: 233

Yeah Right! The guy believes in space aliens.

He is a Hollywood elite who had everything handed to him in life. (Awaiting Dakota's opinion hahahaha)

Being a can/do person is great; Ditto for living your dream, but I doubt this guy is anybody to give advice to regular normal people.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 2:38:58 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Will Smith believes in Aliens? I've heard his son Jaden say he does, but I can't recall Will ever saying it. Although, believing we are the only planet in the entire universe that has living beings is nonsensical.

Will Smith has had everything handed to him? Okay, never mind my first question, it's clear you're spouting opinion as fact and haven't a clue.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 3:20:50 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 645
Applause Received: 657

Per Wikipedia, his dad was an engineer and his mother a school administrator. I'd call that a upper middle class family. So I wouldn't say he came from poverty.

On the other hand, most upper middle class kids don't end up with wealth somewhere in the hundreds of millions before they are 50.

I'm not much for Hollywood, and I've never been much of a Smith fan.

But the video, ISTM, shows him more than just the run-of-the-mill arrogant Hollywood lib. He might be Hollywood and he might be an Obamoid in his politics, but it sounds like he is seriously into the "work ethic" and "work at your craft" things.

Those things resonate, with me anyway.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 3:49:42 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I'm not a fan of his music or any of his movies with the exception of maybe two or three. His work ethic on the other hand, I am a fan of.

When I hear that someone had everything handed to them, I think of people like Paris Hilton, not Will Smith.
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 4:16:29 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 392

I don't liked to get into these discussions, but this topic I do know a little about, (Will Smiths career)

The guy started as a rapper with a friend,he wasn't even the headliner.

He was The Fresh Prince, in the group DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince.

He could have went the way of other rappers, doing the hardcore ghetto thing, but the man(hell he was just a kid), had enough smarts and talent to realize he could advance his career if he stayed more mainstream.

He parlayed his rapping talent into tv..The Fresh Prince of Belair, then into movies, not only acting but writing and producing, pretty much leaving the music industry behind.

JMO but Will Smith wasn't given anything he didn't work for.

I was a club dj back in the day and Will Smiths music was liked by all genres.

"Summertime" and " Boom, Shake the Room" are my 2 favorites, want to hear some good urban music from the 90's look them up.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 9/30/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 9/30/2013(UTC)
Online wpr  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 5:00:33 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

I never followed rap of any kind but I heard a few of his "songs" and I can tolerate it. He has worked hard his whole life.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Mucky Tundra  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 5:10:53 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 309
Applause Received: 386

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Will Smith believes in Aliens? I've heard his son Jaden say he does, but I can't recall Will ever saying it. Although, believing we are the only planet in the entire universe that has living beings is nonsensical.

Will Smith has had everything handed to him? Okay, never mind my first question, it's clear you're spouting opinion as fact and haven't a clue.

Maybe this is what texaspackerbacker was thinking?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:11:38 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Maybe this is what texaspackerbacker was thinking?

Thanks for the digging. I don't recall if it is the weirdness of the Scientology in general or some specific interview, but I heard it somewhere.

I actually like most of his movies - pretty much the same as I'd say for most of those Hollywood pukes. However, when they get to trying to influence normal people with their weirdness and disingenuous thoughts, I say forget 'em.

Getting into show business in the great majority of cases takes a lot more luck and connections than it does talent. When I say he got it all handed to him, THAT's what I mean, more so than the upper-middle class upbringing (thanks Wade for the digging).

And as for the Work Ethic thing, there I will take the probable minority position. IMNHO, work is a four-letter word - I choose to avoid it as much as possible. As for "short cuts", those I'll take whenever possible. But that's just me hahahahaha.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 7:14:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

He didn't have an upper middle class upbringing. Christ, his parents were separated at age thirteen and one was a school administrator and the other was a refrigeration engineer. Neither of which is a high roller. Wait, maybe I just don't have a clue what the hell middle class is, nevermind.

You are right about making it in show business. A lot more to do with right time, right place with the right connections.

Tom Cruise is the Scientology preacher freak, not Will Smith. Check that link and read the articles. Will Smith hasn't pushed those ideals onto anyone and in fact is indifferent as he's maintained his being Christian.

Regardless, the words in the video are profound.
UserPostedImage
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:35:17 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

He didn't have an upper middle class upbringing. Christ, his parents were separated at age thirteen and one was a school administrator and the other was a refrigeration engineer. Neither of which is a high roller. Wait, maybe I just don't have a clue what the hell middle class is, nevermind.

You are right about making it in show business. A lot more to do with right time, right place with the right connections.

Tom Cruise is the Scientology preacher freak, not Will Smith. Check that link and read the articles. Will Smith hasn't pushed those ideals onto anyone and in fact is indifferent as he's maintained his being Christian.

Regardless, the words in the video are profound.

Well, at least we have one fragment of agreement hahahaha.

I guess it's the same as with Dakota - there is an undefined and sliding scale of what is and isn't "rich" or whatever. Anyway, I was referring to the show business thing. I didn't want to let that horrible unmentionable p word creep in, but I've heard he is a well known left winger also.

As for the video, the word "psycho-babble" comes to mind. His words are the diametric opposite of the "Dakota Doctrine" that everybody in America is predestined to whatever status they are born into. The truth is somewhere in the middle, but I would guess about 2/3 of the way in Dakota's direction instead of Smith. And hard work has a lot less to do with "movin' on up" ("Jeffersons" allusion) than luck and gaming the system - short cuts, which the video denies or criticizes.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:06:47 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I couldn't careless what political views he has. Why does it come down to barreling topics with this political interjection crap? Political views are just that, views. It does not define them and perhaps in your experience it does. If so, I respect that, but damn, enough already.

Personally, I feel it quite ignorant to dismiss someones words simply based on perceived or acknowledge political standing.

It's a shame something so positive was turned into more political garbage.

UserPostedImage
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:43:26 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

I couldn't careless what political views he has. Why does it come down to barreling topics with this political interjection crap? Political views are just that, views. It does not define them and perhaps in your experience it does. If so, I respect that, but damn, enough already.

Personally, I feel it quite ignorant to dismiss someones words simply based on perceived or acknowledge political standing.

It's a shame something so positive was turned into more political garbage.

Because like it or not, his politics and politics in general IS important. As I hope you well know, there are forces which want to CHANGE this country - for the WORST based on everything that is good and normal - to HARM America's position in the world and ultimately mess up the wonderful life we all have. THAT is the essence of politics - either being FOR that shit or being part of trying to PREVENT the sick shit those people are pushing on a wide variety of fronts in our lives.

And the God damned entertainment community - which I hope you know is saturated with a bias in favor of that disgusting anti-American change, is an integral part of the propaganda machine that has been very effective at putting the wrong kind of people in power in this country. Do you actually not see or notice the subtle (sometimes even not so subtle) push toward the whole spectrum of anti-American shit in TV, movies, music, etc.? You guys get all little-old-ladyish about creeping political discussion, but you either deny or ignore or can't see the political crap being foisted on Americans by those pushing their sick CHANGE.

Is this video you are promoting part of that? Arguably not directly, but yes, for sure in the sense that it gives an air of respectability and credibility to one of the agents of that CHANGE shit.

Anybody in show business or sports for that matter who goes against the tide of that shit is literally character assassinated by the God damned media, so I will damn well feel free to speak ill of this disingenuous piece of shit with his little psycho-babbling video.

edit: And look at yourself, focusing on a couple of off-hand words I reluctantly posted, and failing to comment at all on the substance of what is wrong with the damn video - or why you think it isn't wrong. WHO is interjecting politics here anyway?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:47:27 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

"Because like it or not, his politics and politics in general IS important."

Not in this topic.

I'll give you this. You are better than any woman I've dated at finding something, anything to turn into an argument. I thought this topic was safe from you. I was wrong.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed