Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2013 7:56:01 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,705
Applause Received: 663

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
The packers do take the play clock down when they run no huddle. The reason they go no huddle is to stop the other team from substituting.

Against the Niners, they had multiple 10 play drives for under 3:00.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:59:25 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Against the Niners, they had multiple 10 play drives for under 3:00.

They had 0 10 play drives against the Niners...

Play clock is not the same thing as game clock. Just because the game clock isn't running doesn't mean they aren't taking time.

Does the defense not get to rest if the previous play was an incomplete pass and stopped the game clock? HAHA "Hey guys the game clock has stopped for this next play so run some wind sprints on the sideline, you only get to rest if the clock is running"
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 10/4/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:03:41 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,222

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline hardrocker950  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:39:52 AM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 88

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
They had 0 10 play drives against the Niners...

Play clock is not the same thing as game clock. Just because the game clock isn't running doesn't mean they aren't taking time.

Does the defense not get to rest if the previous play was an incomplete pass and stopped the game clock? HAHA "Hey guys the game clock has stopped for this next play so run some wind sprints on the sideline, you only get to rest if the clock is running"

I partially agree. The part I disagree with is about the game clock. While everyone is getting a breather - if the game clock stops, that still leaves time that they will likely be playing. If the clock keeps moving- that takes time away that the D would likely be on the field.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:51:41 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 Go to Quoted Post
I partially agree. The part I disagree with is about the game clock. While everyone is getting a breather - if the game clock stops, that still leaves time that they will likely be playing. If the clock keeps moving- that takes time away that the D would likely be on the field.

I'm referring to people saying things like "they only got a 2 minute break" when the offense only took 2 minutes off the clock but ran a 9-10 play drive. The # of plays is the amount of time the defense is resting moreso than how much time came off the game clock.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 1:28:33 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 350
Applause Received: 457

Just because The Packers run a no-huddle, doesn't mean all their drives are going to be less than 3:00.

Take the last scoring drive The Packers had in The Bengals game.

The 3rd play of the drive is when Franklin busted open for a 51yd gain.

Now is he supposed to just run for 10 yds then fall down, because The Packers are trying to run clock?

This whole premise of trying to milk the clock at the beginning or even halfway through the game is ridiculous.

Todays NFL is all about score, score and score some more!!!!!

Hell the rules almost force a team to try and put up 50 just to have a safe lead.

Thankfully The Packers have the personal to do this.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 10/3/2013(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 10/4/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:59:56 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Just because The Packers run a no-huddle, doesn't mean all their drives are going to be less than 3:00.

Take the last scoring drive The Packers had in The Bengals game.

The 3rd play of the drive is when Franklin busted open for a 51yd gain.

Now is he supposed to just run for 10 yds then fall down, because The Packers are trying to run clock?

This whole premise of trying to milk the clock at the beginning or even halfway through the game is ridiculous.

Todays NFL is all about score, score and score some more!!!!!

Hell the rules almost force a team to try and put up 50 just to have a safe lead.

Thankfully The Packers have the personal to do this.

Fundamentals are fundamentals.

If you give Kaepernick 50 snaps, he'll score more points than he will if you give him 25.

Plain and simple.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 8:20:05 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,087
Applause Received: 528

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Fundamentals are fundamentals.

If you give Kaepernick 50 snaps, he'll score more points than he will if you give him 25.

Plain and simple.

If you're going to be that rudimentary about it, than I'll be even more "plain and simple". If the Packers score more points than their opponent, they'll win the game. It doesn't matter how many plays it takes, so long as they score more points.

As I've said before, it's the offenses job to score points, and it's the defenses job to stop the opposing team from scoring points. Anything other than that (long drives, etc.), is just a bonus. If the Packers offense could easily score 40+ points every game as a result of very quick time of possession drives, I would be ecstatic.

Generally speaking over the past few years, the offense has done it's job. The defense needs to step up and get off the field.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 10/4/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 8:40:01 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 481
Applause Received: 292

The simple point that is overlooked here by people advocating taking time off the clock to keep Kaepernick or whoever off the field is that we would also be taking time away from OUR high powered offense.

The only way this logic flies - shortening the game to inhibit the other team's offense - is if the other team's offense is BETTER than our own ....... and I just don't see any of those around, not even Kaepernick and the Niners.

Let Rodgers do his thing; Hope for a threat at least of a better running game; And hope our defense can get some stops; That will result in winning games.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 12:11:11 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
If you're going to be that rudimentary about it, than I'll be even more "plain and simple". If the Packers score more points than their opponent, they'll win the game. It doesn't matter how many plays it takes, so long as they score more points.

As I've said before, it's the offenses job to score points, and it's the defenses job to stop the opposing team from scoring points. Anything other than that (long drives, etc.), is just a bonus. If the Packers offense could easily score 40+ points every game as a result of very quick time of possession drives, I would be ecstatic.

Generally speaking over the past few years, the offense has done it's job. The defense needs to step up and get off the field.

The defense clearly wore down against the Niners.
Rss Feed