Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2013 7:56:01 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,366
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
The packers do take the play clock down when they run no huddle. The reason they go no huddle is to stop the other team from substituting.

Against the Niners, they had multiple 10 play drives for under 3:00.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Sponsor
Online steveishere  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:59:25 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 867

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Against the Niners, they had multiple 10 play drives for under 3:00.

They had 0 10 play drives against the Niners...

Play clock is not the same thing as game clock. Just because the game clock isn't running doesn't mean they aren't taking time.

Does the defense not get to rest if the previous play was an incomplete pass and stopped the game clock? HAHA "Hey guys the game clock has stopped for this next play so run some wind sprints on the sideline, you only get to rest if the clock is running"
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 10/4/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:03:41 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

UserPostedImage
Offline hardrocker950  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:39:52 AM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 63
Applause Received: 58

They had 0 10 play drives against the Niners...

Play clock is not the same thing as game clock. Just because the game clock isn't running doesn't mean they aren't taking time.

Does the defense not get to rest if the previous play was an incomplete pass and stopped the game clock? HAHA "Hey guys the game clock has stopped for this next play so run some wind sprints on the sideline, you only get to rest if the clock is running"

I partially agree. The part I disagree with is about the game clock. While everyone is getting a breather - if the game clock stops, that still leaves time that they will likely be playing. If the clock keeps moving- that takes time away that the D would likely be on the field.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Online steveishere  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:51:41 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 Go to Quoted Post
I partially agree. The part I disagree with is about the game clock. While everyone is getting a breather - if the game clock stops, that still leaves time that they will likely be playing. If the clock keeps moving- that takes time away that the D would likely be on the field.

I'm referring to people saying things like "they only got a 2 minute break" when the offense only took 2 minutes off the clock but ran a 9-10 play drive. The # of plays is the amount of time the defense is resting moreso than how much time came off the game clock.
Online buckeyepackfan  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 1:28:33 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 273
Applause Received: 390

Just because The Packers run a no-huddle, doesn't mean all their drives are going to be less than 3:00.

Take the last scoring drive The Packers had in The Bengals game.

The 3rd play of the drive is when Franklin busted open for a 51yd gain.

Now is he supposed to just run for 10 yds then fall down, because The Packers are trying to run clock?

This whole premise of trying to milk the clock at the beginning or even halfway through the game is ridiculous.

Todays NFL is all about score, score and score some more!!!!!

Hell the rules almost force a team to try and put up 50 just to have a safe lead.

Thankfully The Packers have the personal to do this.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 10/3/2013(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 10/4/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:59:56 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Just because The Packers run a no-huddle, doesn't mean all their drives are going to be less than 3:00.

Take the last scoring drive The Packers had in The Bengals game.

The 3rd play of the drive is when Franklin busted open for a 51yd gain.

Now is he supposed to just run for 10 yds then fall down, because The Packers are trying to run clock?

This whole premise of trying to milk the clock at the beginning or even halfway through the game is ridiculous.

Todays NFL is all about score, score and score some more!!!!!

Hell the rules almost force a team to try and put up 50 just to have a safe lead.

Thankfully The Packers have the personal to do this.

Fundamentals are fundamentals.

If you give Kaepernick 50 snaps, he'll score more points than he will if you give him 25.

Plain and simple.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 8:20:05 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,862
Applause Received: 430

Fundamentals are fundamentals.

If you give Kaepernick 50 snaps, he'll score more points than he will if you give him 25.

Plain and simple.

If you're going to be that rudimentary about it, than I'll be even more "plain and simple". If the Packers score more points than their opponent, they'll win the game. It doesn't matter how many plays it takes, so long as they score more points.

As I've said before, it's the offenses job to score points, and it's the defenses job to stop the opposing team from scoring points. Anything other than that (long drives, etc.), is just a bonus. If the Packers offense could easily score 40+ points every game as a result of very quick time of possession drives, I would be ecstatic.

Generally speaking over the past few years, the offense has done it's job. The defense needs to step up and get off the field.
texaspackerbacker on 10/4/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 8:40:01 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 402
Applause Received: 233

The simple point that is overlooked here by people advocating taking time off the clock to keep Kaepernick or whoever off the field is that we would also be taking time away from OUR high powered offense.

The only way this logic flies - shortening the game to inhibit the other team's offense - is if the other team's offense is BETTER than our own ....... and I just don't see any of those around, not even Kaepernick and the Niners.

Let Rodgers do his thing; Hope for a threat at least of a better running game; And hope our defense can get some stops; That will result in winning games.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 12:11:11 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
If you're going to be that rudimentary about it, than I'll be even more "plain and simple". If the Packers score more points than their opponent, they'll win the game. It doesn't matter how many plays it takes, so long as they score more points.

As I've said before, it's the offenses job to score points, and it's the defenses job to stop the opposing team from scoring points. Anything other than that (long drives, etc.), is just a bonus. If the Packers offense could easily score 40+ points every game as a result of very quick time of possession drives, I would be ecstatic.

Generally speaking over the past few years, the offense has done it's job. The defense needs to step up and get off the field.

The defense clearly wore down against the Niners.
Online steveishere  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 12:59:38 PM(UTC)
steveishere

The defense clearly wore down against the Niners.

Maybe they shouldn't have spent the entire game (not just late in the game) giving up first downs and letting SF march down the field with little resistance. They weren't tired because of the TOP they were tired because they couldn't get their own asses off the field.
DoddPower on 10/5/2013(UTC)
Offline mi_keys  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 3:04:24 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 206
Applause Received: 345

Maybe they shouldn't have spent the entire game (not just late in the game) giving up first downs and letting SF march down the field with little resistance. They weren't tired because of the TOP they were tired because they couldn't get their own asses off the field.

No, that 8 minute drive in the first quarter is because Rodgers and McCarthy pulled the fire alarm at the hotel at 3:30 in the morning. It's always their fault.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2013 3:09:57 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 174

I will say this. The only way you're gonna keep the other offense off the field is having a balanced attack. The problem with this offense in the past has always been pass pass pass. If it works keep doing it. The Packers have been great at actually throwing it a lot and winning games. But it doesn't always work. I know people say "control the clock" but you really have no control over it. Unless you run run run. And that's not gonna work, even if you have Barry Sanders.

I actually believe the Packers are trying to convert to a balanced offense rather than a pass heavy team through the 1st 3 weeks. Which is a good sign moving forward.

The primary thing though is third down conversions. That is key to time of possession. That is the only key imo. And that's the only thing holding this team back, on both sides of the ball. Through 2 of 3 games this year we've had trouble at times with 3rd down conversions. I think we were one of the worst in the league last year. We need to beat a team on sunday who I think is the best against 3rd downs.

Now when I say it's the only key, i'm not kidding.

Say it's 3rd and 5 and you only get 2 or 3 yards. Now you give the other team the ball with time getting taken off the clock. That's when it plays into the other teams favor. Other time that also goes in the other teams favor is when you throw on third down and it's an incomplete pass. (Which more time than not, is what happens to the Packers.) That will cause the opposing offense to wear down the defense by having a little bit more time to make plays and keeps on making them if we can't stop them.

I much would rather have the first situation. For as great of player Rodgers is and McCarthy is coaching. I think they're overally aggressive on third down. I believe if Rodgers checked down a lot more we'd be much better. We have guys that can do that now with Franklin and Lacy. Especially Sneaky Franklin where he can get those extra yards. That would put even more pressure on the defense.

So I mean it doesn't really matter about time of possession unless we convert 3rd downs. That's what really effects games.

The worst down we have trouble converting is 3rd and short surprisingly. I believe if we sure up that situation with Lacy/play calling we'll be golden.

The point is we need to keep drives going. It's not about not trying to keep the clock moving, it's about trying to score touchdowns on every drive. If you can't convert more than 1 or 2 conversions every time you have the ball, you're not gonna win football games.

Edited by user Saturday, October 5, 2013 3:23:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

hardrocker950 on 10/5/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:42:22 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Pass pass pass is one thing.

Run and shoot passing deep down the field is different from ball control and moving the chains. One is high percentage, the other is not. One runs the clock, the other does not.
yooperfan on 10/5/2013(UTC)
Online buckeyepackfan  
#15 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2013 9:08:39 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 273
Applause Received: 390

Pass pass pass is one thing.

Run and shoot passing deep down the field is different from ball control and moving the chains. One is high percentage, the other is not. One runs the clock, the other does not.

So The Packers are using a run and shoot deep passing strategy to move the ball down the field ?

Do you realize that Aaron Rodgers has thrown for 1057 yds this year, of that 510 are YAC.

That's 48.25% of Aarons yardage is YAC

Again are the receivers suppose to fall down when they catch the ball so the drive may or may not be extended?

Sorry to blow your run and shoot theory out of the water, but you make it to damn easy.

http://www.sportingchart...ds-after-the-catch/2013/

BTW Packers were leading in the 4th quarter at San Fran when Eddy Lacy fumbled and gave them good field position, and we've already discussed how The Packers 2 2nd half turnovers cost them the Bengals game.

Packers are -2 in turnover ratio for the year, their record reflects that at 1-2.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Rss Feed