Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sschind  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 9:05:22 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 422

#1, Why in the world does McCarthy feel like he has to run the ball all the freaking time. He has the bestest QB ever to have ever played the game ever and the bestest WR corps to have ever played the game ever. Why does he have to run all the time. He should pass pass pass and then pass some more. And then, just to fool the other team, he should pretend to run and then pass instead.

#2 Another damn game with no 4th quarter comeback for Rodgers. This is really starting to tick me off. What is that, like 1000 or something. What is his problem. It must be all in his head. How can he be considered elite when he can't even mount a stupid 4th quarter comeback. I'm beginning to think he is not as good as most people think he is.

#3 OK, this one is semi serious. What the heck was up with the time out by the Lions after Rodgers took a knee only to have Stafford take a knee. Part of me was wishing they would have given lacy the ball to get him over 100 yards.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 9:27:56 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 451
Applause Received: 272

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
#1, Why in the world does McCarthy feel like he has to run the ball all the freaking time. He has the bestest QB ever to have ever played the game ever and the bestest WR corps to have ever played the game ever. Why does he have to run all the time. He should pass pass pass and then pass some more. And then, just to fool the other team, he should pretend to run and then pass instead.

#2 Another damn game with no 4th quarter comeback for Rodgers. This is really starting to tick me off. What is that, like 1000 or something. What is his problem. It must be all in his head. How can he be considered elite when he can't even mount a stupid 4th quarter comeback. I'm beginning to think he is not as good as most people think he is.

#3 OK, this one is semi serious. What the heck was up with the time out by the Lions after Rodgers took a knee only to have Stafford take a knee. Part of me was wishing they would have given lacy the ball to get him over 100 yards.

It's a shame it's sarcastic. I'm about 97% in agreement with your #1. I like the idea of having the ability to run sometimes, but FORCING the run on early downs like today seems annoying and counter-productive to me. After we pass pass pass and then pass some more, then give it to Lacy for a change of pace, and he will be a lot more effective than today, not to mention less likely to be knocked out.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline yooperfan  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 2:49:48 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 274

I was happy with the game plan on both sides of the ball.
I would have liked to see the offense put the ball in the end zone a few more times but the mix of run and pass was more to my liking.
Passing on 3rd and one pissed me off though.
The defense held a dangerous Bush in check nicely.
Calvin Johnson may have made a difference but we'll never know that for sure.

Nice to see Crosby back in the groove but I still cringe when they line up for a field goal.
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 4:58:38 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Our first scoring drive, 1st and goal at the 6 or 7, and he passes... Just run the freaking ball. If you are 1st and goal, and you run it 3 straight times, you'll score a TD better than 75% of the time. An old Easterbrook maxim that I believe still holds true today. Why is that so hard to understand? I mean, for a HC and offensive genius? Mike McCarthy, you're making this game much more difficult than it needs to be.

How many 3rd and 1s did we have, and he goes to a pass? Crazy. Just run the damn ball, and score!

Wow. It takes this guy half a season to figure out how to run the ball. Every year. Mike McCarthy, just run. It does wonders for scoring and for the pass game too. You've got the backs. Run the football, with confidence. We should have blown DET out far worse than we did. I love seeing 28 attempts by our RBs, as this is way better than Mike has done in the past, but I think we can push that into the 30s easily with far better results. We should be doing 30+ attempts by our RBs every game.

Also, I would love to see more INTs from our secondary. Other than that, great win! Holding Reggie Bush to 44 rushing yds was masterful work by our defense. Nice work in the front 7 by the Packers.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 10/7/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 6:33:55 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post

Or run a fake punt. Or call a timeout when they tried to kneel.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 7:49:10 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
It's a shame it's sarcastic. I'm about 97% in agreement with your #1. I like the idea of having the ability to run sometimes, but FORCING the run on early downs like today seems annoying and counter-productive to me. After we pass pass pass and then pass some more, then give it to Lacy for a change of pace, and he will be a lot more effective than today, not to mention less likely to be knocked out.

I count 15 runs on 1st down with Lacy for the following.
1 - negative run (-3)
1 - No gain
5 - 3 yards
1 - 4 yards
1 - 6 yards
2 - 7 yards
2 - 8 yards
1 - 9 yards
* 1 - 13 yards (only counted 3 on account of Boykin holding penalty)

2 runs on 1st from Franklin
1 and -1 (fumble)

2 from Cobb for 67, 5.

With that production, run the damn ball every 1st down until defenses can stop it. The biggest reason, there was such a high number of runs on 1st is because of the Lions formations. They wre playing light in the box.

Where I see a play calling problem was 2nd and especially 3rd downs. There we ended up 27 passes to 9 runs.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 10/7/2013(UTC), RaiderPride on 10/7/2013(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 12:25:50 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 247

Schwartz said he took the timeout to try and block the punt and score and then a possible onside kick. There is like a .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance but you never know.

...still hate him.
UserPostedImage
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 12:41:03 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

hahahahaha

So when you people want the Packers to run and they're not you get upset..

But now that he's running it now it's too much...?

hahahahaha
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 12:42:34 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 451
Applause Received: 272

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
I count 15 runs on 1st down with Lacy for the following.
1 - negative run (-3)
1 - No gain
5 - 3 yards
1 - 4 yards
1 - 6 yards
2 - 7 yards
2 - 8 yards
1 - 9 yards
* 1 - 13 yards (only counted 3 on account of Boykin holding penalty)

2 runs on 1st from Franklin
1 and -1 (fumble)

2 from Cobb for 67, 5.

With that production, run the damn ball every 1st down until defenses can stop it. The biggest reason, there was such a high number of runs on 1st is because of the Lions formations. They wre playing light in the box.

Where I see a play calling problem was 2nd and especially 3rd downs. There we ended up 27 passes to 9 runs.

The figures are a little bit skewed by the long run of Cobb - more in the category of a trick play that an ordinary run. Other than that, using your figures, there were about 11 plays resulting in 2nd and long and 6 plays resulting in 2nd and fairly short - and nothing over 9 yards. I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer the usual Packer way - pass pass pass and pass some more - setting up occasional runs that 3 or 4 of which probably gain more than all 15 of those.

Even I would rather see a run on 3rd and 1 - unless, of course, you can pull off the old Bart Starr thing. Running 3 times from the 6 or 7 yard line, though? Nope, not a good idea. I'll take Rodgers passing 3 times over those 3 runs any day. You get to first down on the 3, and yeah, run it in, but not the 6 or 7.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Pack93z  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 12:59:11 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 396
Applause Received: 1,073

The Packers, in establishing the run effectively and using it, will become a more complete team overall and one that will see their defense improve week after week. Personally, it was the best game we have had in terms of balance in recent years.. and we will be a better team for it.

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20 on 10/7/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 1:31:20 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

The figures are a little bit skewed by the long run of Cobb - more in the category of a trick play that an ordinary run. Other than that, using your figures, there were about 11 plays resulting in 2nd and long and 6 plays resulting in 2nd and fairly short - and nothing over 9 yards. I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer the usual Packer way - pass pass pass and pass some more - setting up occasional runs that 3 or 4 of which probably gain more than all 15 of those.

Even I would rather see a run on 3rd and 1 - unless, of course, you can pull off the old Bart Starr thing. Running 3 times from the 6 or 7 yard line, though? Nope, not a good idea. I'll take Rodgers passing 3 times over those 3 runs any day. You get to first down on the 3, and yeah, run it in, but not the 6 or 7.

Bart Starr had the other team intimidated with his running game. Teams were expecting a power run.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan on 10/7/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 1:44:58 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
hahahahaha

So when you people want the Packers to run and they're not you get upset..

But now that he's running it now it's too much...?

hahahahaha

No, not for me. I want him to run it more. Especially on 3rd and short. 4th and short. Run the rock!!! Pound it home.

Really kind of dumb to go to a pass play when your OL and RBs are having such great success. Keep it on the ground, the clock running, and the chains moving. That's what will win us football games. It will open everything up on the pass so much more. Defenses won't know what to do.

Personally, I think this team is finding its way, and when they do, look out NFL.
Offline warhawk  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 1:49:18 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 220

I think they are mixing it up just right. We are like 5th in rushing offense. You don't run the ball on first down every single damn time. Just like you don't pass either.

Sooner or later teams are going to finally get that 8th guy up in the box. The way the team is playing they will have no choice.

That's when it's going to get real fun. The big picture here is the birth of the running game will work right into our sweet spot as the season goes on and that's ARod carving teams to pieces.

The fact teams have not already adjusted to the run is a testimony of the fear teams have for Arod. It's pick your poison time boys.
"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 5 applause.
Pack93z on 10/7/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 10/7/2013(UTC), GermanGilbert on 10/7/2013(UTC), play2win on 10/7/2013(UTC), hardrocker950 on 10/7/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 2:27:07 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
No, not for me. I want him to run it more. Especially on 3rd and short. 4th and short. Run the rock!!! Pound it home.

Really kind of dumb to go to a pass play when your OL and RBs are having such great success. Keep it on the ground, the clock running, and the chains moving. That's what will win us football games. It will open everything up on the pass so much more. Defenses won't know what to do.

Personally, I think this team is finding its way, and when they do, look out NFL.

A huge reason the OL and RBs are having success is because the other teams don't care about them. They are trying to stop Rodgers most of the time. When the other teams expect us to run it and try to stop that they seem to have a lot more success. They are mixing it up just fine there is no reason to run more than is necessary. I guess I'd like to see them try to run more in the short yardage situations but I'm not really convinced it will lead to that much success. We were running the ball fine vs Detroit but passing is what blew the game open. No need to run it more than we have been.
Offline yooperfan  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 5:08:45 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 274

Woody Hayes, the late, iconic football coach from Ohio State, once said: "when
you pass the football 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad."

Rss Feed