Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:09:56 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

LombardiAve wrote:
A.J. Hawk is one of the most well-known members of the Green Bay Packers in the NFL today. He is admired for his hard-nosed, physical style of play, a style that is missing in the current Packers' defense. Sure he records a solid number of tackles per game, as he should playing the most
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:48:11 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

I agree that he was not worthy of the 5th overall pick. However, I do really like Hawk. He's a great person and like the article says, he plays nasty and I like that. You can always count him to be there every Sunday, and he seems like a good leader on the defensive side of the ball. I wouldn't like to see the Packers part ways with him, especially since we have nobody that could replace him.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:04:38 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 457

Good to see there are other Packer fans who actually "GET IT"

Article comments.

WyomingPackerBacker
Stick with him -- slow and steady beats a flash in the pan.


Gbfan2196
Hawk was worth the pick no doubt I for one would rather have a steady player who dosent ever get sidelined because injury then a player who is above good but then gets hurt then you have to put in someone a whole lot worse. Ted Thompson likes hawk because he does what they ask him to do Ted Thompson even said he was worth it. I hate how some people only look at statistics when talking about players.

Geno
BTW Dan. Despite the claims in your bio you are not an "inspiring" writer, you are an "aspiring" writer. You may or may not be able to put together a sentence, we will leave that to your 5th grade English teacher to decide . Based on the above drivel we know you are not a sports writer. Try again Junior.

ray zuniga
what a dumb prick??????????????? not nfl caliber yoru not writer material jack ass?? how is the most consistent player on the team not nfl caliber??? is stood by while bishop was behind barnet, dont you think with your small brain that the team people who manage the team you know the pros would have said man this guy sucks lets put bishop in and not have this "not nfl caliber player" on field?? jump off a bridge.jackass.. and yea hes not the best has flaws but this is clown bullshit right here


Zach Savage
He was worth the pick. First 3 years if you had to do the draft over he would have been the number 1 pick. Long term he has not panned out to be great. He's slow and seems weak. But we could be a lot worse off and we have nobody to replace him with in 8 years.


Starr57
Really Dan?
Tired of all The "Hawk haters".
Led the team or in top 3 in tackles his 1st 3 years.
Played through injuries in 2009 that would have shelved most other guys. Never missing a start.
Then in 2010 when lbr's started dropping like flies, who stepped up, taking over for a once again injured Nick Barnette , playing alongside a bunch of no-name lbr's, qbing the defense, keeping them together until the so called "SUPERSTAR" could return.
Let's fast forward to now, once again, Hawk will be playing alongside, raw, but hopefully talented lbr's for at least a month, maybe longer. Who knows who the starting lbr's will be the next few weeks.
I for one am glad that odds are A.J. Hawk will be there anchoring the middle, calling the plays, making sure the young guys know their responsibilities.
In retrospect, I wish Ted Thompson would have never drafteD A.J. Hawk, tired of writers and fans alike who can't appreciate a true Professional!!!!
The importance of a player doesn't always show up in "stats".
THIS IS NOT FANTASY FOOTBALL!!!!
Worth the pick and every dollar he has earned in the NFL!!!

tech4hire
Geesh...you "journalist" have nothing better to do than pick on AJ Hawk. If he is so bad, why is he still starting and calling the signals for the defense? Fortunately for the Packers, clowns like you are not in charge because you complain about the steady players and would have the Packers get rid of them all. Hawk was drafted because he is a "football guy" according to TT. True, he isn't flashy but he is the consumate professional according to his coaches. He is hard nosed like many of the Packers who have gone before him. If the entire defense was as hard nosed, we would have the best defense in the league. Lay off Hawk and go back to covering dog shows or some other bit of tripe.

Geno
Dumb kid. Ever watched a Packer game? Hawk reminds me of Nitschke every time he plays. Got his nose in the middle of the action. Busting his hump and the guys he plays against. Steady player you don't have to worry about. Clearly you know more than TT. Dope!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline Porforis  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:44:09 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

You can't have a superstar at every position. Not worth the pick but reliable, consistent, and a known quantity. And not in the way Jarrett Bush was pre-2009.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:50:32 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A.J. Hawk is a victim of his draft pick status. If the Packers were getting Hawk production out of a late round pick people would be calling him a steal. Well, It's time to forget about A.J Hawk the former #5 pick over all. It's been 8 years, it does not make one bit of difference if he was #5 or Mr. irrelevant. All that matters is how he is producing. If you don't think Hawk is a starting caliber NFL linebacker based on his play then fine, you can have that opinion and make that argument but if you don't think he is a starting caliber NFL linebacker because he was the #5 pick over all and he hasn't lived up to that lofty draft status you are an idiot.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:12:49 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

I say it's completely fair to compare Hawk to what we coulda and shoulda got with the 5th pick in the draft - NOT to what some low round pick did or could do, many of which have actually out-performed Hawk anyway. I'm on record as favoring Vernon Davis instead of Hawk - the big controversy at the time he was drafted, and even though Davis has been kind of up and down, I'd still take his career over Hawk. Furthermore, if we hadn't gotten Hawk, there's a strong chance we would have somebody a LOT better in that position now.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:04:53 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

Say what you want about A.J. Hawk but consider this.

Nick Barnett
Desmond Bishop
D.J. Smith
Brad Jones
Robert Francois
etc ...


the mainstay has been Hawk. His counter part is always getting hurt.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 10/9/2013(UTC), beast on 10/9/2013(UTC), play2win on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:24:39 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Good to see there are other Packer fans who actually "GET IT"

Article comments.

WyomingPackerBacker
Stick with him -- slow and steady beats a flash in the pan.


Gbfan2196
Hawk was worth the pick no doubt I for one would rather have a steady player who dosent ever get sidelined because injury then a player who is above good but then gets hurt then you have to put in someone a whole lot worse. Ted Thompson likes hawk because he does what they ask him to do Ted Thompson even said he was worth it. I hate how some people only look at statistics when talking about players.

Geno
BTW Dan. Despite the claims in your bio you are not an "inspiring" writer, you are an "aspiring" writer. You may or may not be able to put together a sentence, we will leave that to your 5th grade English teacher to decide . Based on the above drivel we know you are not a sports writer. Try again Junior.

ray zuniga
what a dumb prick??????????????? not nfl caliber yoru not writer material jack ass?? how is the most consistent player on the team not nfl caliber??? is stood by while bishop was behind barnet, dont you think with your small brain that the team people who manage the team you know the pros would have said man this guy sucks lets put bishop in and not have this "not nfl caliber player" on field?? jump off a bridge.jackass.. and yea hes not the best has flaws but this is clown bullsh!t right here


Zach Savage
He was worth the pick. First 3 years if you had to do the draft over he would have been the number 1 pick. Long term he has not panned out to be great. He's slow and seems weak. But we could be a lot worse off and we have nobody to replace him with in 8 years.


Starr57
Really Dan?
Tired of all The "Hawk haters".
Led the team or in top 3 in tackles his 1st 3 years.
Played through injuries in 2009 that would have shelved most other guys. Never missing a start.
Then in 2010 when lbr's started dropping like flies, who stepped up, taking over for a once again injured Nick Barnette , playing alongside a bunch of no-name lbr's, qbing the defense, keeping them together until the so called "SUPERSTAR" could return.
Let's fast forward to now, once again, Hawk will be playing alongside, raw, but hopefully talented lbr's for at least a month, maybe longer. Who knows who the starting lbr's will be the next few weeks.
I for one am glad that odds are A.J. Hawk will be there anchoring the middle, calling the plays, making sure the young guys know their responsibilities.
In retrospect, I wish Ted Thompson would have never drafteD A.J. Hawk, tired of writers and fans alike who can't appreciate a true Professional!!!!
The importance of a player doesn't always show up in "stats".
THIS IS NOT FANTASY FOOTBALL!!!!
Worth the pick and every dollar he has earned in the NFL!!!

tech4hire
Geesh...you "journalist" have nothing better to do than pick on AJ Hawk. If he is so bad, why is he still starting and calling the signals for the defense? Fortunately for the Packers, clowns like you are not in charge because you complain about the steady players and would have the Packers get rid of them all. Hawk was drafted because he is a "football guy" according to TT. True, he isn't flashy but he is the consumate professional according to his coaches. He is hard nosed like many of the Packers who have gone before him. If the entire defense was as hard nosed, we would have the best defense in the league. Lay off Hawk and go back to covering dog shows or some other bit of tripe.

Geno
Dumb kid. Ever watched a Packer game? Hawk reminds me of Nitschke every time he plays. Got his nose in the middle of the action. Busting his hump and the guys he plays against. Steady player you don't have to worry about. Clearly you know more than TT. Dope!



Buck they are all from Ohio and would follow you anywhere. Big Grin
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 1 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:33:46 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

Brad Jones is ranked 8th ILB
A.J. Hawk is ranked 34th ILB


According to ProFootballFocus.com


1 Brandon Spikes
2 Kiko Alonso
3 Luke Kuechly
4 Derrick O. Johnson
5 Akeem Jordan
6 Mason Foster
7 NaVorro Bowman
8 Brad Jones
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:13:18 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Brad Jones is ranked 8th ILB
A.J. Hawk is ranked 34th ILB


According to ProFootballFocus.com


1 Brandon Spikes
2 Kiko Alonso
3 Luke Kuechly
4 Derrick O. Johnson
5 Akeem Jordan
6 Mason Foster
7 NaVorro Bowman
8 Brad Jones


I don't know how much I would trust any publication that has Brad Jones rated 8th best in the NFL hahahahahaha. However, a lot of those guys, and a lot of others way better than Hawk were not picked in the first or even second or third round.

My point above all else is that it AIN'T a positive that Hawk has hung around this long. If he wasn't there, we coulda, shoulda, and almost certainly woulda gotten somebody a helluva lot better, and probably not needed a first round pick to do it.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:17:53 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,096
Applause Received: 530

Hawks a really good player to have on your team. He's incredibly available, which means a lot in todays NFL. He's definitely not elite, but a team can win with him, as the Packers have shown. I'm fine with Hawk, but it would be nice if the Packers could get a very good to elite player to play beside him.

He isn't the best #5 overall pick ever, but it could have easily been much, much, worse. Things don't always work out perfectly.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 10/9/2013(UTC), wpr on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:33:21 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

People really need to get past the number he was picked at, and expecting him to be something he never was expected to be. He was not drafted to be Ray Lewis, or Urlacher. That was Nick Barnett. Hawk was the most surefire pick, never expected to have the greatest upside, but never expected to have a huge downside either. And that is exactly what he has been.

Barnett, Bishop, and Jones have been the Mike backers for the Packers, that is the position that is suppose to make the plays. Hawk has been the will. His job is more to help the mike make plays. He is suppose to prevent the cutback to the weak side if the RB get past the dline. He takes on lead blockers, he blitzes to occupy blockers so the mike can get a free shot on the QB.

His only real issue was that he got to big for a while, which cost him movement and speed. He has dropped about 10 lbs and has gained some of that back. His coverage problems are overblown as well. When I re-watch games, he is normally right on his man. Most of the time, in order to have close coverage he would be flagged for PI. And he normally makes the tackle.

If you look at his actual position he is top 2 or 3 with the likes of Bowman.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 10/9/2013(UTC), wpr on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:48:16 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,096
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
If you look at his actual position he is top 2 or 3 with the likes of Bowman.


I agree with most of your post, but not this one. Bowman is a phenomenal player who not only routinely makes impact plays, but also puts up decent stats. IMO, he plays much faster, too. He was a great pick for the 91st player picked in 2010.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:07:21 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
People really need to get past the number he was picked at, and expecting him to be something he never was expected to be. He was not drafted to be Ray Lewis, or Urlacher. That was Nick Barnett. Hawk was the most surefire pick, never expected to have the greatest upside, but never expected to have a huge downside either. And that is exactly what he has been.

Barnett, Bishop, and Jones have been the Mike backers for the Packers, that is the position that is suppose to make the plays. Hawk has been the will. His job is more to help the mike make plays. He is suppose to prevent the cutback to the weak side if the RB get past the dline. He takes on lead blockers, he blitzes to occupy blockers so the mike can get a free shot on the QB.

His only real issue was that he got to big for a while, which cost him movement and speed. He has dropped about 10 lbs and has gained some of that back. His coverage problems are overblown as well. When I re-watch games, he is normally right on his man. Most of the time, in order to have close coverage he would be flagged for PI. And he normally makes the tackle.

If you look at his actual position he is top 2 or 3 with the likes of Bowman.


If somebody has sure-thing knowledge of the Capers D, or what came before it for that matter, I'd yield to that, but ...... as far as I know, there is no differentiation between the two ILB positions as the Packers play them. Also, "Mike" means starting with M - Middle. "Will" means starting with W - Wing or Wide. It's kind of hazy this many years later, but wasn't the plan when Hawk was drafted for Nick Barnett to be bumped from Middle Linebacker to Outside Linebacker - making room for Hawk to be the Middle Linebacker? I would suggest that indeed he WAS drafted to be something resembling Ray Lewis or Urlacher. I would further suggest AGAIN that it is extremely appropriate to take into consideration the high position in the draft when judging whether Hawk has been a good thing or a bad thing for the Packers.

And most of all, I say AGAIN, the WORST thing about A.J. Hawk IMO is that he has lasted so long, preventing the Packers from filling that spot with somebody a whole lot better - as most of the good and a lot of the bad teams in the league have playing MLB or ILB.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:27:50 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Hawks a really good player to have on your team. He's incredibly available, which means a lot in todays NFL. He's definitely not elite, but a team can win with him, as the Packers have shown. I'm fine with Hawk, but it would be nice if the Packers could get a very good to elite player to play beside him.

He isn't the best #5 overall pick ever, but it could have easily been much, much, worse. Things don't always work out perfectly.


Yes this. There's millions of Busts in the draft each year, it doesn't matter where you're drafted unless you're pretty much relying on them to completely change your team like a Quarterback.

If you can stay active every game and tackle, you're a good Linebacker to me.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:36:04 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
If somebody has sure-thing knowledge of the Capers D, or what came before it for that matter, I'd yield to that, but ...... as far as I know, there is no differentiation between the two ILB positions as the Packers play them. Also, "Mike" means starting with M - Middle. "Will" means starting with W - Wing or Wide. It's kind of hazy this many years later, but wasn't the plan when Hawk was drafted for Nick Barnett to be bumped from Middle Linebacker to Outside Linebacker - making room for Hawk to be the Middle Linebacker? I would suggest that indeed he WAS drafted to be something resembling Ray Lewis or Urlacher. I would further suggest AGAIN that it is extremely appropriate to take into consideration the high position in the draft when judging whether Hawk has been a good thing or a bad thing for the Packers.

And most of all, I say AGAIN, the WORST thing about A.J. Hawk IMO is that he has lasted so long, preventing the Packers from filling that spot with somebody a whole lot better - as most of the good and a lot of the bad teams in the league have playing MLB or ILB.



W means Weak side LB
S strong
M Middle

In a 4 LB set up you can have the 2nd Middle LB take the role of the Will LB. And who says GB has 4 LB out there all the time? That is only the base package. Last week they were in nickle and dime almost all the game. In the nickle they had 2 LB and the dime only 1.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 2:50:04 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
If somebody has sure-thing knowledge of the Capers D, or what came before it for that matter, I'd yield to that, but ...... as far as I know, there is no differentiation between the two ILB positions as the Packers play them. Also, "Mike" means starting with M - Middle. "Will" means starting with W - Wing or Wide. It's kind of hazy this many years later, but wasn't the plan when Hawk was drafted for Nick Barnett to be bumped from Middle Linebacker to Outside Linebacker - making room for Hawk to be the Middle Linebacker? I would suggest that indeed he WAS drafted to be something resembling Ray Lewis or Urlacher. I would further suggest AGAIN that it is extremely appropriate to take into consideration the high position in the draft when judging whether Hawk has been a good thing or a bad thing for the Packers.

And most of all, I say AGAIN, the WORST thing about A.J. Hawk IMO is that he has lasted so long, preventing the Packers from filling that spot with somebody a whole lot better - as most of the good and a lot of the bad teams in the league have playing MLB or ILB.


There is a difference in the positions. Why do you think, they switch sides depending on the offensive formation. Hawk will always line up on the weak side of the offensive formation, Jones (or whoever) on the front/strong side. Some say the same thing that we don't have a FS and SS, that they are the same and that is also incorrect. While at times they may change up. While we may see Burnett deep, he most often playing SS.

No idea of the team has planned on him moving Barnett out. But if they had, I expect they would have. Hawk was fully capable as demonstrated when Barnett went out in 08' and Hawk moved inside without a problem.

Perhaps, the reason Hawk has lasted is because nobody can beat him out. If there was a weakness at the position, Ted would certainly address it.

The problem is not Hawk, the problem is fans that expected him to be what he was never suppose to be.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:26:32 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

I'm not as down on Hawk as some and I agree that he has kept his job because nobody has showed up and been better than him so he's deserved it.

He does have some faults that make him an average player IMO. Regardless of his job responsibilities he doesn't make all of the plays that are out there for him to make like tackling guys for short gains near the line or making decisive tackles in space. He's better in coverage than he gets credit for. He is not good at all at taking on blocks, he gets moved out of plays way too easily when another team gets a hat on him. Taking on a block IMO doesn't just mean running up there and getting blocked out of the play, he doesn't often get past the blocker or take on the blocker early enough to re-route the runner he just gets blocked and that's it. He's been a better pass rusher it seems the last couple years but he still doesn't have the ability Bishop had to slip past a block at the line and get after the QB.

I think the thing that bugs most people about him is he hit his ceiling pretty early (which wasn't that high) and hasn't really shown any improvement over the years and has even had years where he regressed. He's definitely a guy you can win with if he's on your team but if your whole D was made up of AJ Hawks it wouldn't be very good.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 10/9/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:12:15 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
He's definitely a guy you can win with if he's on your team but if your whole D was made up of AJ Hawks it wouldn't be very good.


Would an entire defense made up of any single NFL player be any good at all?
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:07:41 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Would an entire defense made up of any single NFL player be any good at all?


Come on now you know what I was saying. I'm obviously talking about players with the same ability level not the same build. Don't be dense.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 10/10/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#21 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:27:48 AM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Come on now you know what I was saying. I'm obviously talking about players with the same ability level not the same build. Don't be dense.


In which case your defense would be exactly like Hawk: A little above okay but from game to game, roughly the same level of okay. We've certainly had years with much-less-than-okay defense in green bay in the last decade plus.
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#22 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:20:09 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
In which case your defense would be exactly like Hawk: A little above okay but from game to game, roughly the same level of okay. We've certainly had years with much-less-than-okay defense in green bay in the last decade plus.


average at best at every position does not = an overall average defense. That is a bad defense.
Offline nerdmann  
#23 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:36:43 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,713
Applause Received: 665

The problem with Hawk is he won't juice.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Yerko  
#24 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:27:51 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 263

I've liked Hawk and I have enjoyed watching him play as a Packer. He isn't flashy and very few times will he make that play that shoots your ass of your couch, but he is a solid player nonetheless. He makes few mistakes, is a leader of the defense and is a sound veteran who doesn't get injured (<- this is odd playing for the Packers).

He has been cut just so he can come back to take a pay cut. I respect the crap out of that because I am sure he can make a little more money playing elsewhere (some may disagree), but he wants to be a part of this Packers team.

RotoWorld says:
Quote:
The immediate pay cut is $1.85 million in 2013, and Hawk's 2014-2015 salaries were slashed by $2.45 million and $2.85 million, respectively. In exchange, the Packers guaranteed $2.21 million of Hawk's new 2013 base salary ($3.6 million). Hawk, 29, graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 20 inside linebacker in 2012. He was adequate against the run but a liability versus the pass.


I don't care for the article and saying that, I didn't even read it all. The title alone blows chunks because I don't see how you can say someone is struggling when they are constantly leading the team (or close to the top) in tackles each year. That's a big part of his job, no?

It could be worse.
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#25 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:32:03 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 457

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I say it's completely fair to compare Hawk to what we coulda and shoulda got with the 5th pick in the draft - NOT to what some low round pick did or could do, many of which have actually out-performed Hawk anyway. I'm on record as favoring Vernon Davis instead of Hawk - the big controversy at the time he was drafted, and even though Davis has been kind of up and down, I'd still take his career over Hawk. Furthermore, if we hadn't gotten Hawk, there's a strong chance we would have somebody a LOT better in that position now.


The grass is always greener!!!

All these supertstars you said we could have brought in, how many have played every game but 2 in the last 8 years?

How many have switched positions multiple times because the team needed them to?

How many of these "superstars" are knowlegable enough to switch positions?

How many of these "superstars" you wanted would have stayed in Green Bay, when Ted Thompson would not have offered the "Big money" contract that they thought they deserved?

How many of these "superstars" would have allowed Ted Thompson to cut them one day then resign them the next day to help THE TEAM with the salary cap?

How many of these "superstars" would have taken a pay cut, and not whined and cried about it all the way to the bank?

Hell Bishop refused a pay cut and look what happened to him.

Ted Thompson has had at least 2 chances to cut AJ Hawk without hurting The Packers as a whole, salary cap wise, both times he decided the BEST MAN for the job was AJ Hawk.

Not to hurt your feelings, but I'll take Ted Thompsons decision making over yours everyday.

YEP THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!!

1. Barnett, Nick LB Oregon State 2003-10 107
2. Barrington, Sam LB South Florida 2013 1
3. Bishop, Desmond LB California 2007-11 69
4. Briggs, Diyral LB Bowling Green 2010 5
5. Chillar, Brandon LB UCLA 2008-10 34
6. Diggs, Na'il LB Ohio State 2000-05 84
7. Francois, Robert LB Boston College 2010-13 35
8. Havner, Spencer TE/LB UCLA 2008-10 21
9. Hawk, A.J. LB Ohio State 2006-12 110
10. Hodge, Abdul LB Iowa 2006 8
11. Jones, Brad LB Colorado 2009-13 51
12. Kampman, Aaron DE/LB Iowa 2002-09 112
13. Lansanah, Danny LB Connecticut 2008 5
14. Lattimore, Jamari LB Middle Tennessee State 2011-13 23
15. Leake, John LB Clemson 2005 3
16. Lenon, Paris LB Richmond 2002-05 64
17. Manning, Roy LB Michigan 2005 15
18. Manning, Terrell LB North Carolina State 2012 5
19. Matthews, Clay LB Southern California 2009-13 58
20. Moses, Dezman LB Tulane 2012 16
21. Mulumba, Andy LB Eastern Michigan 2013 1
22. Obiozor, Cyril LB Texas A&M 2009 5
23. Palmer, Nate LB Illinois State 2013 1
24. Perry, Nick LB Southern California 2012-13 6
25. Poppinga, Brady LB Brigham Young 2005-10 81
26. Simpkins, Maurice LB Coastal Carolina 2010 2
27. Smith, D.J. LB Appalachian State 2011-12 22
28. So'oto, Vic LB Brigham Young 2011-12 8
29. Taylor, Ben LB Virginia Tech 2006 10
30. Thomas, Robert LB UCLA 2005 10
31. Thompson, Jeremy DE/LB Wake Forest 2008-09 15
32. Walden, Erik LB Middle Tennessee State 2010-12 40
33. White, Tracy LB Howard 2006-08 32
34. Wilhelm, Matt LB Ohio State 2010 7
35. Williams, D.J. LB Arkansas 2011-12 26
36. Zombo, Frank LB Central Michigan 2010-12 25

Message modified by user Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:12:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nyrpack

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / rabidgopher04

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

26-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

25-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Rios39

25-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr