Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jakest3r  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 2:34:10 AM(UTC)
Jakest3r

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/27/2006(UTC)

Applause Received: 4

JSOnline wrote:
Matt Elam’s low hit on Packers receiver Randall Cobb irked some of his teammates and continues the discussion about clean hits.
blank
Sponsor
Offline yooperfan  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 3:59:52 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 256

The hit on Cobb is a tough call.
The NFL is making it harder for the defensive players to make a tackle that doesn't have the chance of causing injury.
I think that forcing these guys to go low is going to increase the number of knee injuries around the league.

McMillen doesn't seem to want to accept responsibility for his poor play.
"I didn't get the call, it was the field", yada, yada, yada.
Online musccy  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 4:47:45 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 225
Applause Received: 203

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
The hit on Cobb is a tough call.
The NFL is making it harder for the defensive players to make a tackle that doesn't have the chance of causing injury.
I think that forcing these guys to go low is going to increase the number of knee injuries around the league.


I don't care for the result but I don't have an issue with the hit. The league has put the defense in the position where they have to shift the window they target. Elam didnt spear him, or go for his head...these type of hits are an unfortunate inevitability in an effort to try to protect the head.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Offline nyrpack  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 6:40:48 AM(UTC)
nyrpack

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)
Location: long island, ny

Applause Given: 4
Applause Received: 50

i dont want anybody to get hurt , esp.. our team but you cant hit the head which is a good rule, so you go low to get the legs to tackle, im sorry i dont think it was a dirty play in the heat of battle !!
jimmy b.
Online PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 6:45:42 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

Originally Posted by: nyrpack Go to Quoted Post
i dont want anybody to get hurt , esp.. our team but you cant hit the head which is a good rule, so you go low to get the legs to tackle, im sorry i dont think it was a dirty play in the heat of battle !!


Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I don't care for the result but I don't have an issue with the hit. The league has put the defense in the position where they have to shift the window they target. Elam didnt spear him, or go for his head...these type of hits are an unfortunate inevitability in an effort to try to protect the head.


Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
The hit on Cobb is a tough call.
The NFL is making it harder for the defensive players to make a tackle that doesn't have the chance of causing injury.
I think that forcing these guys to go low is going to increase the number of knee injuries around the league.

McMillen doesn't seem to want to accept responsibility for his poor play.
"I didn't get the call, it was the field", yada, yada, yada.



What happened to tackling the 3 feet or more of body above the knees, and below the shoulders like we teach kids and I would guess most of us were taught when we were young. This hit was inexcusable.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Offline Bigbyfan  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 9:18:56 AM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 75

To be fair, it's easy for us to say how/where a defensive player should hit a ball carrier. Football, at the professional level, is so fast that a player has a split second to aim and hit a player. I have no problem with the hit by Elam. He went low (like the rules allow) and unfortunately it got Cobb directly on the knee.

This play is completely different than Merriweather launching himself head first into Lacy (and also Starks).
blank
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 2:06:34 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,506
Applause Received: 628

EVERY WEEK, we lose a star player to a cheap shot.

It has to end.

If it doesn't then we need a couple goon type players to send a message that our players are going to be protected. You take a cheat shot at one of our guys, you're going to get hurt.

Clearly the officials are not going to protect our guys.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline gbguy20  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 2:16:10 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
EVERY WEEK, we lose a star player to a cheap shot.

It has to end.

If it doesn't then we need a couple goon type players to send a message that our players are going to be protected. You take a cheat shot at one of our guys, you're going to get hurt.

Clearly the officials are not going to protect our guys.


UserPostedImage
call me Dan
Offline beast  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 3:01:50 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 205
Applause Received: 292



I have a problem with that hit, I understand that defenders have been put in a bad spot forcing them to go lower more often, but the defender look like he was aiming at Cobb knee well before the hit.

A low hit and/or mistakingly hitting someone knee is one thing, but purposely aiming for the knee is another.

I don't know which the defender did, but it looked like he was aiming there to me.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 3:40:41 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,506
Applause Received: 628

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I have a problem with that hit, I understand that defenders have been put in a bad spot forcing them to go lower more often, but the defender look like he was aiming at Cobb knee well before the hit.

A low hit and/or mistakingly hitting someone knee is one thing, but purposely aiming for the knee is another.

I don't know which the defender did, but it looked like he was aiming there to me.


Fortunately (according to reports) he only broke the leg, knee appears to be intact.

KNOCK ON WOOD!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 3:46:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,506
Applause Received: 628

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage




“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.284 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / all_about_da_packers

32m / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

1h / Random Babble / Smokey

1h / Around The NFL / Smokey

1h / Fantasy Sports Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / cheeseheads123

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / evad04

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Random Babble / wpr

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.