Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:02:09 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,656
Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Expecting Jones and Cobb to miss at least a couple games each, though I think Jones will be back sooner. I would consider this the first time, the offense has really been put to the test as far as depth at the skill positions. They have lost players but it has typically been one here or one there. The defense has faced the multiple injuries many times before, but offensively this will be the real first time McCarthy will be tested to big adjustments for injuries.

Unless some signing is made, play calling is going to need to be adjusted to take advantage of the players we have. Take advantage of our TE's and RBs out of the backfield. Short crossing and drag routes leaving Jordy, Boykin and Finley to stretch the field.

And if there was ever a time to run some friggin screens, it is now.

This next couple weeks will truly show if McCarthy is the offensive GURU that people have claimed, or if his has been the product of Great QB's and extremely good WR groups.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:08:21 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,527
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

True, although it may be jumping the gun in assuming one or both of Cobb and Jones will be missing.

If it does happen, or even if either or both is playing hurt, other teams will be playing the Packers more straight up, maybe even more for the running game. That might just make it easier to hit them with some big pass plays. I still say it would be a mistake to be a run first team.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:12:48 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,656
Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
True, although it may be jumping the gun in assuming one or both of Cobb and Jones will be missing.

If it does happen, or even if either or both is playing hurt, other teams will be playing the Packers more straight up, maybe even more for the running game. That might just make it easier to hit them with some big pass plays. I still say it would be a mistake to be a run first team.


I would be surprised if either played next week. Jones definitely didn't look as bad, but knowing how cautious the Packers are with Injuries, I would expect at least 2 weeks for Jones, and 4 or more for Cobb. But it is assumption until we actually hear a diagnosis.

I don't care if the team is run first, pass first or kick a damn FG first as long as what they are doing is working. Run Pass is mostly determined by the defensive formation and matchups though.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:14:35 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,634
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,835
Applause Received: 1,991

3rd and 1 or 2 and the pitch/toss or deep pass for 15+ yards gets on my nerves.

3rd and 3, I'm good with either a screen, run or pass, depending on the flow of the game.


3rd and 1, I want to see Kuhn and Lacy in I formation and just let men be men and let the best man win. I'd rather get stuffed 3rd and 1, than see Finley drop a damn 3rd down pass.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 2 applause.
cheeseheads123 on 10/14/2013(UTC), sschind on 10/14/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:22:16 AM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Unless some signing is made, play calling is going to need to be adjusted to take advantage of the players we have. Take advantage of our TE's and RBs out of the backfield. Short crossing and drag routes leaving Jordy, Boykin and Finley to stretch the field.

And if there was ever a time to run some friggin screens, it is now.

This next couple weeks will truly show if McCarthy is the offensive GURU that people have claimed, or if his has been the product of Great QB's and extremely good WR groups.


I was wondering all game when they were going to bring Franklin out and actually utilize him for his hands which supposedly was his upside. Finley's not been playing great but as essentially then #3 WR he was carrying his weight. Our other TEs aren't reliable enough for significant targets so I would love to see Franklin and Lacie in the backfield at least 5-10 times a game. Plenty of potential for misdirection on runs and a good checkdown option to Franklin on play action.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:25:05 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,527
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
3rd and 1 or 2 and the pitch/toss or deep pass for 15+ yards gets on my nerves.

3rd and 3, I'm good with either a screen, run or pass, depending on the flow of the game.


3rd and 1, I want to see Kuhn and Lacy in I formation and just let men be men and let the best man win. I'd rather get stuffed 3rd and 1, than see Finley drop a damn 3rd down pass.


On most of that I agree with you, but letting the best man win might not work out so well with our O Line. Surprising 'em is the key. When Lacy ran on 3rd and 3, it worked great. Running when everybody expects it on 3rd and 1, though, might not do so well. I get annoyed too when there is an unsuccessful deep pass on 3rd and short or 3rd and medium, and it's essential to keep the drive going. A short pass then ought to be damn near 100% sure - a bigger percentage than a 3rd and short run.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2013 7:28:26 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,634
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,835
Applause Received: 1,991

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
On most of that I agree with you, but letting the best man win might not work out so well with our O Line. Surprising 'em is the key. When Lacy ran on 3rd and 3, it worked great. Running when everybody expects it on 3rd and 1, though, might not do so well. I get annoyed too when there is an unsuccessful deep pass on 3rd and short or 3rd and medium, and it's essential to keep the drive going. A short pass then ought to be damn near 100% sure - a bigger percentage than a 3rd and short run.



I get the keep them on their toes approach, but look, it is next to ALWAYS that the Packers will PASS. We see this, surely opponents do too!

Their was a play where the Packers faked it to Lacy and Rodgers kept it. I loved it! Who seen that coming?

Even a single back with Lacy on 3rd and 1 would be good. Do some play action on a rollout and let Rodgers scamper for the first or hit the trailing TE for the first. We don't need killshot everytime.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error



Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

30m / Around The NFL / wpr

31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / MintBaconDrivel

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

19h / Random Babble / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Jul / Fantasy Sports Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Jul / Around The NFL / Dexter_Sinister

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.