Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:31:56 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

Here's what Finley's son said to him after the Redskins hit.

Jermichael Finley wrote:
He said, 'Daddy, I don't want you to play football anymore.' That was a little hard to take, hearing a five-year-old, knowing the violence, the intensity of the game, seeing his dad walk off the field like he did.

Jason Wilde wrote:
GREEN BAY — Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley is reportedly in the intensive care unit of an area hospital following the neck injury he suffered during Sunday's victory over the Cleveland Browns, but another report said Finley's ICU stay is only "precautionary."

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Monday morning that Finley was in ICU and had "not had surgery," adding that Finley's status was "uncertain."

Shortly thereafter, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Finley spending the night in the hospital was "precautionary" and that the 26-year-old is "going to be fine."

Finley was injured with 10 minutes 28 seconds left in the game. He had just caught a 10-yard pass from quarterback Aaron Rodgers when Browns safety Tashaun Gipson hit him in the head and neck area as Finley ducked down after making the catch.

Finley was motionless on the field, lying on his side, as the Packers' medical staff tended to him. Finley was down for roughly 6 minutes before leaving the field on a gurney, having had the facemask removed from his helmet and his head immobilized. He could be seen moving his hands as he departed.

Gipson was penalized 15 yards for a personal foul for "leading with the helmet," according to referee Jeff Triplette, although it did not appear to be a dirty play. After the hit, Finley fell face first to the Lambeau Field turf, and his head appeared to shake.

After team physicians Dr. Patrick McKenzie and Dr. John Gray attended to him, Finley was placed on a backboard, had his head immobilized with a belt across the top of his helmet and was wheeled off the field on the gurney as his teammates, including Quarless, Rodgers, guard Josh Sitton, center Evan Dietrich-Smith and wide receiver Jordy Nelson looked on.

This marked the second time Finley has suffered a frightening blow-to-the-head injury this season. At Cincinnati on Sept. 22, Finley was hit by Bengals safety George Iloka as he caught a pass down the seam and got up woozily before falling back to the turf. He was diagnosed with a concussion and missed the remainder of that game.

Precautionary or not, that's one scary gut wrenching pic

UserPostedImage

Message modified by moderator Monday, October 21, 2013 11:58:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:59:54 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,987
Applause Received: 2,283

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 8:02:47 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 320

"regained most movement" isn't exactly encouraging.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/21/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 8:08:38 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 8:22:43 AM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

Man I hope the doctor's are right. Seeing Finley get hit like that and dropping like he did brought back way to many memories of my broken neck back in 83. This is some scary stuff here. I hope for the best for him and he and his family are in my prayers.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline mi_keys  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 9:29:13 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 235
Applause Received: 368

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
"regained most movement" isn't exactly encouraging.

Hopefully, that means what they have tested he has been able to do. They are probably not having him move his head, neck or back very much until they are absolutely sure there is no damage anywhere. Trying to remain optimistic about his health. Thoughts and prayers out to him and his family.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 9:58:08 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 10/21/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 10:59:41 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

Just awesome news.
Offline gbguy20  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 11:06:31 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 210
Applause Received: 285

The above is great news, until this point all i had heard was "regained MOST movement" and that is terrifying that it didn't say ALL.
call me Dan
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 11:58:57 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

UserPostedImage
Offline Tezzy  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 12:11:03 PM(UTC)
Tezzy

United States

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 86

Such great news.
On top of every beard grows a man.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 12:17:28 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 494
Applause Received: 303

Yes, it's great news that he's walking around and in good spirits, etc., but certainly NOT unexpected. Not all neck injuries are that big a deal. Finley certainly doesn't have a newly found long term chronic condition like Nick Collins. I predict he will be back playing sooner rather than later. Of the outbreak of serious injuries around the league this week, I would suggest Finley's is the least bad, and he will be back the soonest.

Any of you guys old enough to remember Paul Hornung and his scary-looking and repeated "stingers" of the neck? As bad as they looked, he was back in minutes or at least the next game - and as far as I know, he is happy and healthy in his upper 70s now.

And get over this silliness, people, about "maybe he will have mental issues". Give the guy just a little bit more credit than that.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline steveishere  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 12:53:42 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 1,006

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Yes, it's great news that he's walking around and in good spirits, etc., but certainly NOT unexpected. Not all neck injuries are that big a deal. Finley certainly doesn't have a newly found long term chronic condition like Nick Collins. I predict he will be back playing sooner rather than later. Of the outbreak of serious injuries around the league this week, I would suggest Finley's is the least bad, and he will be back the soonest.

Any of you guys old enough to remember Paul Hornung and his scary-looking and repeated "stingers" of the neck? As bad as they looked, he was back in minutes or at least the next game - and as far as I know, he is happy and healthy in his upper 70s now.

And get over this silliness, people, about "maybe he will have mental issues". Give the guy just a little bit more credit than that.

Trying to find where anybody has said anything about mental issues.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 1:03:34 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Trying to find where anybody has said anything about mental issues.

This maybe?
Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
He may be physically fine, but there is going to be question about mentally. Couple hits like he has taken can get in his head and cause a terminal case of alligator arms.

I don't think it's out of the blue to think he's gonna be hestitant. Most players admit as much after an injury that the physical part is the easy part. It's the mental part that's difficult. Trusting that you've recovered fully or in this case, trust that when you go over the middle you're not gonna get laid out.

UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 1:09:42 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 494
Applause Received: 303

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
This maybe?

I don't think it's out of the blue to think he's gonna be hestitant. Most players admit as much after an injury that the physical part is the easy part. It's the mental part that's difficult. Trusting that you've recovered fully or in this case, trust that when you go over the middle you're not gonna get laid out.

Yes, that plus the deal with the 5 year old son. I was more thinking of stuff in a couple of News Feeds than posting.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Rss Feed