Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 6:58:37 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 3,311
Applause Received: 1,602
Rob Demovsky said:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Behind Jermichael Finley, the Green Bay Packers have four other tight ends on their roster.

But none of them comes close to matching the skill set that the 6-foot-5, 247-pound Finley possesses.

Finley has 25 catches (third on the team) for 300 yards (fourth on the team) and three touchdowns (second on the team).

With Finley's future in doubt after the neck injury he sustained in Sunday's 31-13 win over the Cleveland Browns, the Packers will likely have to change how they use their tight ends.

While they may have tight ends who are better blockers than Finley, they don't have one with the natural athleticism and skill to step into his role as a receiver and can cause matchup problems for opposing defenses.

Andrew Quarless: In terms of size, the 6-4, 252-pound fourth-year pro most resembles Finley.

Brandon Bostick: After spending last season on the practice squad, the former small-college receiver added weight and strength in the offseason and is viewed as a promising prospect at 6-3, 250.

Ryan Taylor: The third-year pro has been almost exclusively a special teams player and a situational blocker.

Jake Stoneburner: The undrafted rookie from Ohio State was promoted last week from the practice squad and played mostly on special teams against the Browns.
Sponsor
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:14:07 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 567
What skill set are they referring to? Going back to each pre-draft, Quarless almost outmatched Finely across the board with the exception being broad jump, And Bostick out did him except on bench press.

Before his injury Quarless had progressed close to where Finley was before he went down. Quarless filled in for Finley before, no reason he can't again.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
RaiderPride on 10/21/2013(UTC)
User is suspended until 5/30/2015 8:27:35 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:16:17 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 755
Applause Received: 1,535
I want to see us use the screen pass with Franklin. No doubt none of these other TE's match Finley's offensive output, but there are other ways to get some of those yards. I think our receivers will miss Finley the most.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 10/21/2013(UTC), wpr on 10/21/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 10/22/2013(UTC)
Online Mucky Tundra  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:19:56 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 487
Applause Received: 605
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
I want to see us use the screen pass with Franklin.

I want to see Franklin get used more period. I'm hoping they'll use him a little more as a pass catcher once Starks gets back to help with running duties.
Offline Porforis  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:21:29 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States
Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 368
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
What skill set are they referring to? Going back to each pre-draft, Quarless almost outmatched Finely across the board with the exception being broad jump, And Bostick out did him except on bench press.

Before his injury Quarless had progressed close to where Finley was before he went down. Quarless filled in for Finley before, no reason he can't again.

I'll put Quarless in the same camp as I did Alligator-Arm-Finley. Prove that you're not all raw physical skill and no execution, and make me look like an idiot. Right now I simply don't think Quarless is going to provide much in the receiving game. But I'd love for him to prove me wrong like Finley did when he turned things around.
Offline steveishere  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:23:59 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 53
Applause Received: 1,155
I don't get why some people have always been so high on quarless. He may have had decent measureables but he was the starter for most of an entire season and had 230 yards and 1 TD. It would be nice if he broke out and was awesome but I'm not expecting much. He hasn't ever done anything that promising to show that he can be that good even without being injured. Hopefully someone steps up between Quarless, Stoneburner, or Bostick. Obviously none of those guys are near as good as Finley but maybe we can get something out of em.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 10/22/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:31:12 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 3,236
Applause Received: 803
steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't get why some people have always been so high on quarless. He may have had decent measureables but he was the starter for most of an entire season and had 230 yards and 1 TD. It would be nice if he broke out and was awesome but I'm not expecting much. He hasn't ever done anything that promising to show that he can be that good even without being injured. Hopefully someone steps up between Quarless, Stoneburner, or Bostick. Obviously none of those guys are near as good as Finley but maybe we can get something out of em.

Stoneburner's a year away. Bostick has a chance.

I've always supported Quarless. He had really matured both on and off the field before his catastrophic injury. I thought he had really developed as a blocker, and was a decent pass catcher.

Quarless needs to step up and prove he can get it done. Be nice if Bostick did too.

Ryan Taylor can try, but I've kind of given up on him. Anyway isn't he on IR?
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 7:44:58 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

steveishere said: Go to Quoted Post

When he was the starter, it was his rookie year. And he took over while the team was trying to re-identify itself after Finley's injury. Finley managed all of 6 receptions in his rookie year. Quarless average per catch on 10' was about the same as Finley 09'.

When Quarless got hurt, he was already a better blocker than Finley, and while not yet the receiver of Finley. Will see what reps do.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 8:06:05 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States
Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 297
Trade for Fred Davis!
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 8:19:27 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 535
Applause Received: 376
First of all, I expect Finley back - if not next week, probably the following one. As was said, Quarless was really beginning to look like a decent pass catching TE before his injury. So far this season, with Finley there, he wasn't given many opportunities. Bostick ought to be similarly good if he is teachable. Taylor didn't get much respect in posts, but he has had a couple of decent catches this year. He's no substitute for Finley, though. Stoneburner is kind of a mystery to me. Coming from a bigtime program where he got a lot of use, I don't see why he should be "a year away" or whatever. I, too, would like to see a few screen passes - more with Lacy than Franklin, though. I'm still hopeful Franklin pans out, but he has been kinda disappointing so far.
Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 8:34:51 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 53
Applause Received: 1,155
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
When he was the starter, it was his rookie year. And he took over while the team was trying to re-identify itself after Finley's injury. Finley managed all of 6 receptions in his rookie year. Quarless average per catch on 10' was about the same as Finley 09'.

When Quarless got hurt, he was already a better blocker than Finley, and while not yet the receiver of Finley. Will see what reps do.

What does Finley have to do with it? He didn't play much his rookie year but when he got his chance he looked like a good player. Quarless has never looked very good. He doesn't get open and he has bad hands.
Offline yooperfan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:22:04 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 874
Applause Received: 406
Quarless is a good blocking tight end and I like that aspect as it helps the Packers improving running game.
As a receiving tight end I just don't see much there. Mike McCarthy will be able to game plan around Quarless strengths and weaknesses using running backs as receivers to make up for lack of production from the tight end position.
I think.
Online beast  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:43:47 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 323
Applause Received: 371

Quarless seems to have all the physical tools, but struggles with catching the ball for what ever reason. In the 2010 season, Mike McCarthy gave Quarless the shot of filling Finley's role, but once it became clear he couldn't, Mike McCarthy used Quarless as a decoy with great success.

Even though Quarless struggles to catch the ball, he's still got some very good quickness and speed for a TE. Mike McCarthy would have him run straight down field and with would take a Safety up as teams never want to let a receiver open behind them. This would open up a big space underneath where one of the WRs (lot of times Driver or Jones) would run a crossing route and catch it and run.

Ryan Taylor has knee surgery but seeing as they haven't put him on the IR (and could of instead of releasing RB Hill) they're acting like Taylor might be back this season.

As far as Bostick, have they let him on the field on offense at all? The TE coach said they wanted to make him a complete players and not just a receiver before letting him on the field. But I thought he'd make a good possession WR when all the WR got hurt and they didn't try him out there (at least not in the game). So they seem to trying to force him to learn to block before letting him on the field. Which I think bring up an interesting question.

Who will they let on the field on offense first? Bostick, who's the better receiver or Stoneburner who's more well rounded.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:13:21 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 535
Applause Received: 376
With most or all of these guys, all we have seen of them is garbage time in preseason - backup QBs throwing and almost pathetically bad backup O Line blocking at times. Granted it was against subs from other teams too, but still it wasn't a valid sample of their work.

Other teams bring in young unheralded TEs with success, so why not the Packers - we do have Aaron Rodgers throwing to them after all.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:13:17 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
With most or all of these guys, all we have seen of them is garbage time in preseason - backup QBs throwing and almost pathetically bad backup O Line blocking at times. Granted it was against subs from other teams too, but still it wasn't a valid sample of their work.

Other teams bring in young unheralded TEs with success, so why not the Packers - we do have Aaron Rodgers throwing to them after all.

Outside of Finley, our TEs have been used primarily as blockers only. Especially that last couple years because they were always assisting the Oline.

Now that we have a run game going, hopefully the rest of our TEs get some more time catching balls.
Rss Feed