Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:10:34 PM(UTC)
Quote:
[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20081007&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=81007152&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]Even if Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila were a minimum-salary player, he probably would not be giving the Green Bay Packers their moneys worth.

Considering the ninth-year veteran defensive end is their highest-paid player in terms of base salary this season and has the highest 2008 salary-cap number of any player on their roster, the Packers probably cannot be anything but disappointed in Gbaja-Biamilas production.

Already reduced to a part-time role last season when he posted 9 sacks this year Gbaja-Biamila has been a virtual nonfactor. In five games, the Packers career sack leader (74) has only half a sack to his credit. It came in Week 2 against Detroit in a game in which the Packers sacked the immobile Jon Kitna five times.

Whats more, Gbaja-Biamilas snap counts have dwindled. After playing 30 snaps in the opener against Minnesota and 27 against the Lions, he played a season-low nine snaps against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 3. His snap count spiked to 23 the next week at Tampa Bay, but he played just 13 plays in Sundays loss to Atlanta.

Forget sacks. His last quarterback pressure came in the third quarter against the Lions. That means he hasnt come close to touching a quarterback in the last 13 quarters. Thats not exactly what most teams would expect from a pass-rush specialist with a base salary of $6.15 million and a salary-cap figure of $7.727 million.

The Packers are stuck paying Gbaja-Biamila for the entire season, so theres no incentive to cut him. Unless he makes a major contribution in the final 11 games, it would seem unlikely he would return next season at his 2009 base salary of $7.3 million.

His troubles began in the offseason when he underwent knee surgery in May after he experienced pain and swelling during workouts. After the surgery, he missed all organized team activities, the June minicamp and most of training camp.

Coach Mike McCarthy did not list Gbaja-Biamila on the injury report last week, the first time this season he has not done so, but McCarthy said Monday that the knee injury and a lingering ankle problem remain a factor.

His knee and his ankle are things that he has been fighting through, McCarthy said. But hes doing a great job as far as the extra time and work that he is putting into it.

Carl Hairston, who coaches the Packers defensive ends, disputed the notion that Gbaja-Biamila has run out of steam.

That guy, no, Hairston said. That guy could practice all day, but Mike has done a good job trying to keep him healthy, so no, I dont see that.

Gbaja-Biamila showed some signs of life on Sunday against the Falcons. He got decent push twice and once had a hand up near quarterback Matt Ryan, but it didnt affect the pass.

The 6-foot-4, 249-pound Gbaja-Biamila has long been known for his speed rush, and some of his burst appeared to return against the Falcons.

Hes not as explosive as he used to be, Hairston said. Its going to take a little time and repetitions to get that back. Hes increased his workload. Hes now practicing Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, so its just a matter of him getting his knee and ankle back to full strength so he can have confidence in what he used to do.

Once against the Falcons, he timed his move perfectly with the snap and got a good jump but couldnt get around the corner.

Thats what he doesnt have right now, Hairston said. Eventually, after we work more on it in practice, that will come back.

Given that Gbaja-Biamila is 32, theres reason to wonder whether it will.

Yeah, hes still got it, Hairston said. But he depends on his knee bend to get around the corner, and right now he doesnt have that. Its just a matter of the other things working for him and getting those things turned around. I think as this goes on, hell get better.

Gbaja-Biamila isnt the only one on the defensive line struggling with his pass rush. The Packers will take a streak of 10 straight quarters without a sack into Sundays game at Seattle.

Not only did they go sackless against the Falcons, they registered just one hit on Ryan. The Falcons often kept two running backs in the backfield on passing downs and used those backs to chip Gbaja-Biamila and fellow defensive end Aaron Kampman. The Falcons also were able to keep their third-down situations in manageable distances, which allowed them to make short, quick throws before the rush could arrive.

Weve got to get in some longer situations, defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. The balls coming out quick. Theyre chipping occasionally here or there. Kabeers had a couple of pretty good rushes, but the ball came out. The rush and the coverage go together.



I've always personally like KGB, but I think its time to trade or let him go. He's not getting younger, or healthy and is not effective anymore. When teams see him on the line, they audible to a run to his side and get a first down.
longtimefan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 12:12:17 AM(UTC)
it plain s-u-c-k-s
Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 12:29:51 AM(UTC)
Is he healthy yet.. nope.

If you kept him on the roster the first week and vested his salary.. all you can do hope that he gets healthy and contributes.

Cut him... you get no chance of a return. Trade him.. whom is going to give you anything for him and take on his salary.

Hindsight.. probably should have released him and kept another DT on the roster.. but currently options are limited.

I guess you could ask him to reduce his salary although he played for peanuts for the first couple of years and outproduced his salary.. never complained.. just worked the restricted market correctly.. I am sure he would reduce it. :lol:

We kept him and now we have to ride it out. Offseason.. I am with you.. either he shows more or dump him.
evad04  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:04:10 AM(UTC)
He's had more action against passing teams -- i.e. Detroit. When we played Dallas they ran all over us -- not KGB's strong suit. When we played Minnesota, they had the run game going. Same with Atlanta.

Just playin' Devil's Advocate here.

I recognize this guy hasn't done a lot so far this year. Hopefully if we can force more third down passing situations he'll rise to the occasion.
longtimefan  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:21:54 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
He's had more action against passing teams -- i.e. Detroit. When we played Dallas they ran all over us -- not KGB's strong suit. When we played Minnesota, they had the run game going. Same with Atlanta.

Just playin' Devil's Advocate here.

I recognize this guy hasn't done a lot so far this year. Hopefully if we can force more third down passing situations he'll rise to the occasion.


That is an excellent point, maybe tomorrow I will look into some stats to see how he is affected
evad04  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:02:22 AM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
He's had more action against passing teams -- i.e. Detroit. When we played Dallas they ran all over us -- not KGB's strong suit. When we played Minnesota, they had the run game going. Same with Atlanta.

Just playin' Devil's Advocate here.

I recognize this guy hasn't done a lot so far this year. Hopefully if we can force more third down passing situations he'll rise to the occasion.


That is an excellent point, maybe tomorrow I will look into some stats to see how he is affected

One thing is for certain: the only Packer who was consistently pressuring the quarterback is now gone for the year. Until next year, Cullen. :(
PackerTraxx  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:09:37 PM(UTC)
I love articles that state the obvious.
MassPackersFan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:31:04 PM(UTC)
I was never happy with that massive contract extension. I wish I had been wrong about it.
zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:34:45 PM(UTC)
Urgh!

Quote:
The Packers will take a streak of 10 straight quarters without a sack into Sundays game at Seattle.


Reading this, is this really a KGB problem or a team problem? It may be the latter.
Cheesey  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:05:22 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Urgh!

Quote:
The Packers will take a streak of 10 straight quarters without a sack into Sundays game at Seattle.


Reading this, is this really a KGB problem or a team problem? It may be the latter.

It is a team problem..........but KGB obviously isn't getting his job done.
Along with the rest of the D line.
chibiabo  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:19:21 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Urgh!

Quote:
The Packers will take a streak of 10 straight quarters without a sack into Sundays game at Seattle.


Reading this, is this really a KGB problem or a team problem? It may be the latter.

It is a team problem..........but KGB obviously isn't getting his job done.
Along with the rest of the D line.


:magnifyglass: Yup Perhaps a Sanders problem as well but, we do need some really heavy suits on that "D" line with an eagerness to push into the opposing QB. Once more, I'll say, lack of fire and intensity; way too many errors.
Packnic  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:32:46 PM(UTC)
I agree that Sanders should spice it up. But he is running a system, and KGB just isnt getting the job done. plain and simple. If guys would do their jobs... sacks would come.


KGB blows.
hosemeoff  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:35:17 PM(UTC)
Quote:
Not only did they go sackless against the Falcons

Understatement of the day! Come on D-Line. Play like you got a pair!
luigis  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:12:24 PM(UTC)
I believe the only reason why KGB is still on the roster is because we couldn't trade him in the offseason, maybe Ted Thompson is trying to improve KGB's market value looking to get something from him. So far the umpires have played better than KGB for the packers at least one of them deflected a pass.

Luis
zombieslayer  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:23:42 PM(UTC)
Weird. KGB is being singled out because he was getting a high salary, even though the whole DL is doing poorly.

Yet, when I singled out Ryan Grant for poor performance after getting a big raise, someone said I was being like the New York Yankees and basing everything off money.

Go figure.
Packnic  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:33:18 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Weird. KGB is being singled out because he was getting a high salary, even though the whole DL is doing poorly.

Yet, when I singled out Ryan Grant for poor performance after getting a big raise, someone said I was being like the New York Yankees and basing everything off money.

Go figure.


Ryan Grant sucks too.
Rockmolder  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:50:51 PM(UTC)
He should just re-do his salary next year so they could keep him for a smaller amount.

I know this isn't likely, but why wouldn't he? I mean, he knows himself he's not playing as good as he should, and there won't be another team that gives him alot of money this way.

Now, like someone said before, I think it's just the entire D-line. None of them are playing like they should. Kampman together with KGB should just drive QBs crazy and with some strong DT play. They should be unstoppable.

Let's just hope they'll get back to their old form again soon...
tromadz  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:47:53 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Weird. KGB is being singled out because he was getting a high salary, even though the whole DL is doing poorly.

Yet, when I singled out Ryan Grant for poor performance after getting a big raise, someone said I was being like the New York Yankees and basing everything off money.

Go figure.


KGB sucks.

Ryan Grant is a HELL of a lot more consistent than KGB. Grant at least had 83 yds on 18 carries this week, with him semi-hurt and the offensive line playing at high school levels. Don't get me wrong, Grant needs to step up, but comparing him to KGB isn't right.

KGB does nothing good anymore. He used to be a pass rusher, but now cuz he's so old and hurt, they single him and he still gets nothing. I get pissed when I see him on the field.

He plays at the same level as Mike Montgomery and that's a joke.


edit(while my wrath is high) - And my favorite part about KGB is his run defense. We ALL know he sucks at that, but its HOW he sucks. KGB takes those WIDE angles to rush, and it leaves a HUGE hole on the left. RBs run inside left all day on those. I dislike KGB.
Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 12:00:52 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Weird. KGB is being singled out because he was getting a high salary, even though the whole DL is doing poorly.

Yet, when I singled out Ryan Grant for poor performance after getting a big raise, someone said I was being like the New York Yankees and basing everything off money.

Go figure.


KGB sucks.

Ryan Grant is a HELL of a lot more consistent than KGB. Grant at least had 83 yds on 18 carries this week, with him semi-hurt and the offensive line playing at high school levels. Don't get me wrong, Grant needs to step up, but comparing him to KGB isn't right.

KGB does nothing good anymore. He used to be a pass rusher with a bad knee, but now cuz he's so old and hurt, they single him and he still gets nothing. I get pissed when I see him on the field.

He plays at the same level as Mike Montgomery and that's a joke.


edit(while my wrath is high) - And my favorite part about KGB is his run defense. We ALL know he sucks at that, but its HOW he sucks. KGB takes those WIDE angles to rush, and it leaves a HUGE hole on the left. RBs run inside left all day on those. I dislike KGB.


LOL.. Grant is given a high five while playing hurt and KGB is massacred for it.. he isn't healthy yet. Plain and simple.. he is a pass rusher.. we know he isn't a run stuffer, never has been one.

He is being forced to play more snaps at end because of injury.. is it his fault that his knee isn't right yet? NO.

Is it his fault that he was left on the active roster with a very high cap number. Nope.

You speak of him not being consistent.. look at his sack numbers yearly in his career.. pretty consistent if you ask me.

Your wrath sometimes amuses me.. one guy praised for consistency over basically 14 games.. in which he had one good game followed but a piss poor one.. but I guess that is consistent.

KGB has been a heck of a player, is he worth the salary he is currently getting.. nope.. but it is what it is, and if Ted and Co. felt he was grossly overpaid they had options to remedy that this offseason. They didn't.. and as we hear, complete trust in Ted, which in my eyes currently he has earned.. then he must know something we are missing either that or he felt that his pass rush was so lacking minus a healthy KGB that he rolled the dice.

KGB is a pass rusher.. nothing more.. and guess what pass rushers in this league get paid ridiculously.. see Javon Kearse as a prime example.. the plan B when the Eagles couldn't land KGB when we bid up to keep him from them. Like I said we had options going into the year and we knew he wasn't healthy.. but we kept him. It is what it is.

But hey.. this is the closest you have gotten to criticizing Ted yet... there is hope yet that open honest evaluation of Ted is possible. :lol:
tromadz  
#20 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 2:34:47 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Weird. KGB is being singled out because he was getting a high salary, even though the whole DL is doing poorly.

Yet, when I singled out Ryan Grant for poor performance after getting a big raise, someone said I was being like the New York Yankees and basing everything off money.

Go figure.


KGB sucks.

Ryan Grant is a HELL of a lot more consistent than KGB. Grant at least had 83 yds on 18 carries this week, with him semi-hurt and the offensive line playing at high school levels. Don't get me wrong, Grant needs to step up, but comparing him to KGB isn't right.

KGB does nothing good anymore. He used to be a pass rusher with a bad knee, but now cuz he's so old and hurt, they single him and he still gets nothing. I get pissed when I see him on the field.

He plays at the same level as Mike Montgomery and that's a joke.


edit(while my wrath is high) - And my favorite part about KGB is his run defense. We ALL know he sucks at that, but its HOW he sucks. KGB takes those WIDE angles to rush, and it leaves a HUGE hole on the left. RBs run inside left all day on those. I dislike KGB.


LOL.. Grant is given a high five while playing hurt and KGB is massacred for it.. he isn't healthy yet. Plain and simple.. he is a pass rusher.. we know he isn't a run stuffer, never has been one.

He is being forced to play more snaps at end because of injury.. is it his fault that his knee isn't right yet? NO.

Is it his fault that he was left on the active roster with a very high cap number. Nope.

You speak of him not being consistent.. look at his sack numbers yearly in his career.. pretty consistent if you ask me.

Your wrath sometimes amuses me.. one guy praised for consistency over basically 14 games.. in which he had one good game followed but a piss poor one.. but I guess that is consistent.

KGB has been a heck of a player, is he worth the salary he is currently getting.. nope.. but it is what it is, and if Ted and Co. felt he was grossly overpaid they had options to remedy that this offseason. They didn't.. and as we hear, complete trust in Ted, which in my eyes currently he has earned.. then he must know something we are missing either that or he felt that his pass rush was so lacking minus a healthy KGB that he rolled the dice.

KGB is a pass rusher.. nothing more.. and guess what pass rushers in this league get paid ridiculously.. see Javon Kearse as a prime example.. the plan B when the Eagles couldn't land KGB when we bid up to keep him from them. Like I said we had options going into the year and we knew he wasn't healthy.. but we kept him. It is what it is.

But hey.. this is the closest you have gotten to criticizing Ted yet... there is hope yet that open honest evaluation of Ted is possible. :lol:


I agree. It's Thompsons' fault for keeping this trash on the team. He's usually good about getting those guys off the team, but this is definitely an exception.

I think Sunday whenever KGB overshoots a pass rush, gets pancaked, or does the patented KGB offsides move, I'll put the blame on Thompson.

NO! I've got a better idea! Being an alcoholic, I propose a KGB drinking game. Every time he does one of his moves(missed tackle, overshooting sack, creating huge gap for run, offsides), we take a shot!

(by the end of the season I'll propose a 'every time its 3rd and more than 10, we take a shot)

(that'd fuck us up)
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Today's Birthdays: 4PackGirl (48)
Smokey (3h) : My Meatloaf , better than some steak !
buckeyepackfan (3h) : Pizza, Salad, meatloaf, ""2 out of 3 ain't bad"
Smokey (6h) : At your house .
Porforis (6h) : It's never a good day for meatloaf.
Smokey (11h) : Meatloaf Wednesday !
Smokey (27-Jun) : Taco Tuesday !
Smokey (27-Jun) : Hello dhazer !
Smokey (26-Jun) : Chief Salad Day !
Smokey (24-Jun) : Guest ? Join us Today !
Smokey (24-Jun) : Saturday , it's PIZZA NIGHT !
Smokey (23-Jun) : Friday is Seafood day , not Pizza night . Eat a Shrimp !
Cheesey (23-Jun) : Happy B-day rocker!
Zero2Cool (22-Jun) : Today's Birthdays: hardrocker950 (33)
Smokey (22-Jun) : Coffee anyone ?
Smokey (21-Jun) : good show
Cheesey (21-Jun) : APPLE with ice cream!
Smokey (20-Jun) : Cherry with Vanilla Ice Cream !!
Cheesey (20-Jun) : APPLE!
Smokey (20-Jun) : Apple or Cherry Pie ?
TheKanataThrilla (18-Jun) : The only have 2 preseason games. I like that as the fans get to see more of the starters.
TheKanataThrilla (18-Jun) : Next week I believe the CFL season starts. Go Redblacks!!!
Smokey (18-Jun) : Been researching CFL , Edmonton Eskimos have the best colors/uniforms .
Smokey (18-Jun) : When does the CFL Season start anyway ?
Smokey (18-Jun) : Saw Flute CFL highlights in the day, full CFL game was /is rare .
TheKanataThrilla (18-Jun) : I wish many of you would have seen Doug Flutie in the CFL. Absolute beauty.
TheKanataThrilla (18-Jun) : Vince Young cut from Sask. Roughriders. Good for him to consider the CFL, but only a select few NFL QB castoffs are a good CFL fit.
Smokey (17-Jun) : R 2
Zero2Cool (17-Jun) : Not all hackers are bad
Smokey (16-Jun) : Public Hangings for Hackers .
Cheesey (16-Jun) : No, he said HACKERS!
Smokey (16-Jun) : Did you say Crackers ?
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : PACKERS PACKERS PACKERS
Cheesey (16-Jun) : "That is true, my dear Smokey!"LOL!
Smokey (15-Jun) : dat ? Brer Cheesey ?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2017 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 7:30 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 3:25 PM
BENGALS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 8 @ 3:25 PM
at Cowboys
Sunday, Oct 15 @ 12:00 PM
at Vikings
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 AM
- BYE -
Monday, Nov 6 @ 7:30 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
RAVENS
Sunday, Nov 26 @ 7:30 PM
at Steelers
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 10 @ 12:00 PM
at Browns
Saturday, Dec 23 @ 7:30 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 12:00 PM
at Lions
Saturday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
at Panthers
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

11h / Around The NFL / Smokey

13h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

28-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

28-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

27-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

27-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / FLORIDA PACKER88

26-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Jun / Football Familiarity / Smokey

25-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines