You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 5:15:48 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

Mike Mazzeo wrote:
NEW YORK -- Scott Tolzien made too many mistakes in his first NFL start.

And the Green Bay Packers' third-string quarterback accepted responsibility for all of them.

Tolzien, who finished 24-of-34 passing, threw three interceptions in Green Bay's 27-13 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday afternoon at MetLife Stadium.

"Three turnovers, that's the bottom line. Those are killers," Tolzien said. "The guys work too hard, and that's on me completely.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline musccy  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 6:07:50 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 124
Applause Received: 115

Mike mccarthy and seneca wallace weren't the ones throwing the ball. Kind of hard to blame anyone else!
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 6:15:30 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,108
Applause Received: 474

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Mike mccarthy and seneca wallace weren't the ones throwing the ball. Kind of hard to blame anyone else!

Dude came off the PS two weeks ago. Hasn't even been through an offseason QB school.

I'm more harsh on the DBs who don't know who to cover. And the guys calling the plays.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Cheesey on 11/19/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 6:16:09 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

According to ESPN Stats & Information, he completed all six of his passes thrown at least 15 yards downfield. It was just the fourth time since the start of the 2006 season that a quarterback went 6-of-6 or better on such throws in a game.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
nerdmann on 11/18/2013(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 7:06:57 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 124
Applause Received: 115

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Dude came off the PS two weeks ago. Hasn't even been through an offseason QB school.

I'm more harsh on the DBs who don't know who to cover. And the guys calling the plays.

I'm just saying there isn't anyone else you can point the finger at. He threw the ball, he gets the blame. My comments are more directed at how obvious the article is.

I actually have some hope for him to be honest. He has an arm.

Offline DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 7:12:38 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 133
Applause Received: 199

He will make for a very effective back up sooner rather than later, but for now, he is not a good starting quarterback. We have two divisional games in 5 days coming up. We need to win them and we need Aaron Rodgers to win games.
DoddPower on 11/18/2013(UTC)
Offline VinceLambeauStarr  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 7:14:19 AM(UTC)
VinceLambeauStarr

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 23

I think his performance shows the very thin line between being Jekyll or Hyde as a signal caller.

He throws well, shoot if you were showing highlights sans those three throws you'd think he was one of the better quarterbacks in the league. But it's those areas, the ones that matter the most that ultimately tell the story. Tolzien is talented, but inexperienced and along with that comes silly mistakes.

He doesn't seem to have any major arm strength or accuracy issues though.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool is my captain.
Offline rabidgopher04  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 7:20:00 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 102
Applause Received: 123

Maybe Tolzien should just bomb it all day.
Do you like bacon?
DarkaneRules on 11/18/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 7:23:08 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 133
Applause Received: 199

I was thinking that but it is asking a lot from our interior linemen. His most glaring need for improvement I and some of the media see is his release point. It needs to be higher.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 8:46:02 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 346

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I'm just saying there isn't anyone else you can point the finger at. He threw the ball, he gets the blame. My comments are more directed at how obvious the article is.

I actually have some hope for him to be honest. He has an arm.

Well, there is others to blame. On a quick pass the Oline is suppose to keep the defenders hands down. If Bakhtiari had done his job, that ball never should have been Intercepted. On the 3rd INT, pressure got to him and his arm was hit when he tried to throw, which forced him to reset.

The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 9:46:46 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Tolzien should just bomb it all day.

If there's 9 in the box, by all means throw it over their heads.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 9:47:32 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Well, there is others to blame. On a quick pass the Oline is suppose to keep the defenders hands down. If Bakhtiari had done his job, that ball never should have been Intercepted. On the 3rd INT, pressure got to him and his arm was hit when he tried to throw, which forced him to reset.

Not only that but JPP called that play out in the huddle before it happened. Easy pick six, for which Mike should take at least part of the blame.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 9:51:29 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post

Offensive Linemen on pass protection are on their heals, not their toes. So when the DL drops back, you want the OL to chase after him? The LT didn't do anything worth blame here. You have five OL they are supposed to form a pocket.

Maybe I didn't get a good view of the play, but it just looked like Jason Pierre-Paul knew the play, laid off his pass rush, grabbed the ball out of the air and walked into the endzone. That is on the quarterback.

I do not know why so many want to make excuses for a quarterback. Blows my mind.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Yerko  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 9:56:50 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 110
Applause Received: 197

I'm liking Tolzien as a probable future back up. He has the arm for an NFL QB and with this experience under his belt as well as an off-season program, he should be a lot better come next year (if needed, knock on wood).

I am really hoping the Packers continue to play him and start him at Minnesota. He threw three interceptions and you can really only blame him for two. If he settles down after breaking away from the sack late in the game, he could potentially make a better pass. These are things he will become better at through time and practice.

Newhouse should accept some blame on his interceptions since Tolzien was rushed both times by his man unblocked.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 10:51:53 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 346

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Offensive Linemen on pass protection are on their heals, not their toes. So when the DL drops back, you want the OL to chase after him? The LT didn't do anything worth blame here. You have five OL they are supposed to form a pocket.

Maybe I didn't get a good view of the play, but it just looked like Jason Pierre-Paul knew the play, laid off his pass rush, grabbed the ball out of the air and walked into the endzone. That is on the quarterback.

I do not know why so many want to make excuses for a quarterback. Blows my mind.

Normally I would agree. But not on that play. It wasn't just one of many options on that play. That throw was the play. the WR were already engaging in blocks. Bakhtiari didn't need to worry about pass protecting the QB. He didn't have to worry about a bull rush, or speed rush, an inside move or a twist and anything. He had 1 responsibility. Make sure the outside rusher does not get his hands up in the passing lane. Backing up and being on his heels is what allowed JPP to make a play on the ball.

Tolzein did nothing wrong on that play.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage