Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:56:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,889
Applause Received: 2,087

I had my taxes filed and accepted in January. A month or two ago the State says I have a certain amount of time to file my State taxes. I paid the filing fee again and paid $148 into the State. Whatever, no big deal. They told me "I checked and it does show that we accepted the return submitted this morning and it no longer reflects an error. Sincerely, Wisconsin Department of Revenue" so I thought were were square.

Yesterday I checked the mail and got something from the IRS. At first I thought it said I was due $1,520 so I was about to call them and say that it must be an error. Then I read further and they are claiming it is me who owes the amount!

And when I contacted WDR last night she basically told me I had no choice but to pay or be fined and have it increase by 2% each day or some crap like that.

This got all hosed up because my employer kept me on Colorado tax after I moved back to Wisconsin. When I realized this I had it corrected, but not before I paid $1,292 into Colorado. Wisconsin says I have to pay all of that amount to them. Plus of course late fees and interest and everything else.

The best part is I received it on the 25th (one month before Christmas) and the due date is the 28th (thanksgiving).

It's such a helpless feeling. All I had asked them was some time to investigate this. All they say is ... pay or pay more later. What a joke.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:31:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Online texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:20:37 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 416
Applause Received: 249

I will withhold further comment until I read Dakota predictably say you should just bend over and take it/pay your taxes with a smile ......
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:43:32 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I will withhold further comment until I read Dakota predictably say you should just bend over and take it/pay your taxes with a smile ......

I have no issue paying my taxes, none. Granted, I don't care for how it is spent, but as for paying them, I understand it and am fine with it.

My problem is paying CO $1,292 in state taxes and then WI adding fees and interest on top of it and having me pay that same $1,292 to them as well. I believe there are supposed to be laws against being taxed twice. The real kicker here is I never lived in CO at any point during 2012. I moved back to WI before the start of 2012.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:45:09 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 385
Applause Received: 1,039

The State of Colorado should have records of receiving payment on your behalf.. you should be "refunded" that amount. The problem probably will be the timing of it.. don't expect that cash to come back in a rapid manner. Start with your HR department of the company that paid in the state withholding to CO.. then contact CO directly.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Kevin on 11/26/2013(UTC)
Online DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:12:57 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 649
Applause Received: 1,338

First of all, let's deal with the Federal issue of tax due. What was your error and do you actually owe that amount?

The state stuff seems convoluted to me. When did you move back to Wisconsin? Are the tax rates the same between Wis and Col? Your state tax liability should be apportioned on a percentage of days X/365 times the tax rate of each state.

And to address our simpleton from south of the Mason Dixon line - the only thing getting bent over should be him.

My advise would be to deal with the Federal issue first and square that away.
UserPostedImage
Kevin on 12/3/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 6:52:39 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Forgot to update. Saturday was my meeting with H&R Block. I went in and she said she had good news and bad news. First she tells me I actually owe Federal $831 because of the tax with holding error by my former employer. Basically, I got $800 more on my return from federal so now it's evening out plus interest. So, I get that and understand. Then she tells me I owe $1,537 + $82 to Wisconsin due to the same error. I said "wait, you said there was good news, this is crap news". She smiled and said "oh Colorado owes you $1,108".

All in all, I was looking for answers as to why I owe $1,520 and come out paying H&R Block $99 to file new taxes for me in the sum of me having to pay $2,450 while getting back $1,108 from Colorado.

Lesson learned ... even when you're paid salary, always check your pay stubs thoroughly and if the wrong state taxes are deducted, demand it get fixed immediately and then for that year have a professional file your taxes because even if you do everything as you're supposed, unless you KNOW the little quirks you're gonna get toasted.
UserPostedImage
wpr on 12/3/2013(UTC)
Online DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2013 10:27:41 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Forgot to update. Saturday was my meeting with H&R Block. I went in and she said she had good news and bad news. First she tells me I actually owe Federal $831 because of the tax with holding error by my former employer. Basically, I got $800 more on my return from federal so now it's evening out plus interest. So, I get that and understand. Then she tells me I owe $1,537 + $82 to Wisconsin due to the same error. I said "wait, you said there was good news, this is crap news". She smiled and said "oh Colorado owes you $1,108".

All in all, I was looking for answers as to why I owe $1,520 and come out paying H&R Block $99 to file new taxes for me in the sum of me having to pay $2,450 while getting back $1,108 from Colorado.

Lesson learned ... even when you're paid salary, always check your pay stubs thoroughly and if the wrong state taxes are deducted, demand it get fixed immediately and then for that year have a professional file your taxes because even if you do everything as you're supposed, unless you KNOW the little quirks you're gonna get toasted.

And here I thought the lesson learned would have been to consult your buddy Dakotat on all tax issues, afterall he has worked from both sides of the table. But then again, I know how it pains all of your to pat me on the back. Big Grin Dumbasses, all of you!

BTW Zero, it's a good think to take care of tax problems in a timely manner. You did well.
UserPostedImage
wpr on 12/7/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 5:34:34 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I would have, but know you have your plate full enough than to worry about my mess ups.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:29:02 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,885
Applause Received: 1,397

I would have, but know you have your plate full enough than to worry about my mess ups.

DT always has time for his children or good friends in need.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:43:35 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
DT always has time for his children or good friends in need.

I do not doubt that, but I think we both know I am not either of those to him. :)
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:05:13 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,885
Applause Received: 1,397

ouch
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:17:01 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
ouch

Why ouch? Not everyone is friends with me. I've accepted many years ago I can't get everyone to like me.
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:21:35 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 195

Why ouch? Not everyone is friends with me. I've accepted many years ago I can't get everyone to like me.

Kevin I still classify you my friend, thats why I give you so much shit Big Grin
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Online DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:07:32 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

I'm friends with all you dumbasses and would do anything for you. I'm just superior at giving and taking shit than the rest of you! Hell I've even grown to like Texas even though his dumbassness is far superior to any of you!

Merry Christmas boys and of course our few and far between hot chicks. It's like living in Montana.
UserPostedImage
wpr on 12/7/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed