Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:55:03 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Middle Finger Middle Finger Middle Finger

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:51:05 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 405
Applause Received: 233

I don't get it. I mean, I hate Obama as much as the next guy, but what's wrong with what he's saying here?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:55:54 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I don't get it. I mean, I hate Obama as much as the next guy, but what's wrong with what he's saying here?

Zero doesn't want the competition.

Personally, I think it's a bull shit field. $15 an hour is way too much money for these ass clowns. "Did you reboot your computer" is about 90% of troubleshooting. Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing

Now don't get your panties in a bunch, Kevin, just jerking your chain.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:39:46 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

ewww. Troy is jerking Kevin. eww.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:10:42 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

Personally, I think it's a bull shit field. $15 an hour is way too much money for these ass clowns. "Did you reboot your computer" is about 90% of troubleshooting. Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing Rolling On The Floor Laughing

If you're talking about Help Desk making $15/hr, I wouldn't disagree. I've worked with quite a few and seldom did I come across one that knew when to deviate from the corp playbook to more efficiently resolve an issue.

When I was looking into colleges, the first one aggressively pushed me to do web development because I had several years already. But the problem with web development is most anyone and their brother can build a website to achieve most goals, which is to have an online presence.

The second college asked me my hobbies, and what I like to do and all that and then equally aggressively tried getting me into their digital gaming and entertainment program all because I was working with a few dozen other people to create a PC video game. I told the lady to show me other programs they had to offer or I'd be stepping out. When she pulled out the software applications programming pamphlet she put it aside quickly as if to say "eh no, not this one". I noticed this and asked about it and she told me "Well Kevin, programming really isn't for anyone and those who can do it, maybe half actually enjoy it and you're very active so I don't see you sitting at a desk for 8 hours starring at code".

That's what I needed to hear. I need to hear that not everyone can do it, and that even those who can, a good portion do not want to. I told the lady, who btw was a very cute redhead that we ended up talking for six hours before she told me she was engaged... where the hell the ring was, who knows... anyway, I told her that was the program I wanted.

My class started off with I believe it was 48 or something students. At graduation, there were less than a dozen of us who graduated.

So when our fearless leader says "anyone can do it", I say BS! I might only have six years in the profession, but I've been around quite a few programmers, interviewed with a lot of programmers and I can tell you with every fiber in my body that not everyone can do it, lol.

But seriously, I only took offense to the "everyone can do it" line and it wasn't a "I'm going to vote AGAINST you forever!" ... it was just a 'eh screw you!' type thing.

UserPostedImage
Offline hardrocker950  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:05:48 AM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 63
Applause Received: 58

"Just about anyone" is an exaggeration. It takes a certain type of person in general for any tech related job.

Even the terrible tech support guy - I think if I were to sit on the phone telling people to make sure it's plugged in, I would be ready to jump off a tall building.Laughing
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline Porforis  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:29:11 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

I wish it were more of an exaggeration than it was. At least in terms of tech support. Thank god my current job is about 50% tech support and 50% hands-on R&D.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:56:24 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

The same could be said about any job. But being able to study and learn what it takes to do a job, doesn't mean the person will be any good actually doing it. I could learn how to paint, doesn't mean I have the creativity to be an artist. I know how to read music and play multiple instruments, but I am not a good musician.

Having the knowledge to do a job, and actually being able to do the job are different. I know engineers who can't fix what they design.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:11:26 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
The same could be said about any job. But being able to study and learn what it takes to do a job, doesn't mean the person will be any good actually doing it. I could learn how to paint, doesn't mean I have the creativity to be an artist. I know how to read music and play multiple instruments, but I am not a good musician.

Having the knowledge to do a job, and actually being able to do the job are different. I know engineers who can't fix what they design.

You're being generic and it's coming off obtuse.

The point being pushed is that anyone can learn Computer Science to earn an income to provide for themselves and family. That is what is meant by saying anyone can do X profession.

No one is going to hire you because you can punch out the code below in Visual Studio. Trust me, I tried!! hahaha

Code:

using System;
namespace HelloWorld
{
    class Hello 
    {
        static void Main() 
        {
            Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");

// Keep the console window open in debug mode.
            Console.WriteLine("Press any key to exit.");
            Console.ReadKey();
        }
    }
}

I was in college with a woman who when it came to the book smarts of programming, my lord, brilliant!! When it came to utilizing that knowledge, she simply could not transfer what she learned reading into practical use in the programming environment.

A lot of computer science professionals are problem solvers. If we all had that ability, well I don't think I need to elaborate on that lol.

So can anyone Google Hello World and download VS and produce "Hello World", yes, but that does not make you a programmer. That does not help you pay the bills. You have to marketable skills.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 7:36:38 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

I'm starting to think I'm the only man's man in this group of pussies. I hung up my ties two years ago, and I've never been happier. Last year I went and did some taxes for an accounting firm and reminded myself how much I hate sitting at a desk being billed out by a firm for $200 an hour while they paid me $30.

But I sure am glad you Geek Squad boys exist. You just make shit easier for everybody.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed