Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 6:49:36 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,228

When the Packers used the 61st overall selection on Eddie Lacy, I was not thrilled or even excited that I can remember. I thought he was another project of the Alabama offensive line, much like I feel that both Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson are. Then the Packers used the 125th overall selection on Johnathan Franklin. I was sure Franklin would be the more productive back for the Packers both receiving and rushing.

I was ... not right.

All Eddie Lacy has done during his rookie season is carried the ball 248 times for 1,028 yards (4.1 yards per carry) while rushing for 8 touchdowns. He's not that bad out of the backfield either with 31 receptions for 236 yards receiving.

That's 1,266 total offensive yards and keep in mind he missed the Bengals game and played only one play during the Redskins game. Essentially, he's giving the Packers 100 total yards on offense each game and almost a touchdown per contest.

The only weakness in Lacy's game is his blitz pickup pass protection and that is something he will certainly improve on.

Thank you, Eddie.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 12/16/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Online steveishere  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 6:51:49 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

He's too fat and has that toe fusion though
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 6:55:57 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 485

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Eddie Lacy ... bad selection. He had HUGE holes with Alabama. He won't have that in Green Bay. I'd rather have seen a Safety selected. Someone who could contribute to the team.

d'oh!

Big Grin
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
wpr on 12/16/2013(UTC), Laser Gunns on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Online Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 6:57:00 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Should have disabled the search feature ...
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 5/7/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 7:00:47 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Yes, a remarkable player who literally fell in our laps. I was thrilled when Ted picked him, and he could very well be the best RB we have ever drafted. He is 77 yds away from John Brockington's all-time rookie rushing total in Packers history, going over 1000 yds rushing with 2 weeks left to play… Remarkable.
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 7:01:40 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 485

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Should have disabled the search feature ...

Believe me you should...just about every post from that thread has venom dripping from your words. Laughing
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 7:02:37 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

No Zero you were not thrilled by any stretch of the imagination. I was pleased with the selection. Franklin too.

Yesterday's performance is setting Lacy up pretty good for ROY. He has separated himself from the rest of the rookies. Ram's rb Stacy is over 150 yards behind him with less tds and their avg per carry is about the same. The best Wr is SD's Allen but he doesn't stack up wither in total yards or tds.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Cheesey on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Offline VinceLambeauStarr  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 7:26:11 AM(UTC)
VinceLambeauStarr

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Another underrated aspect of his game is the ability to raise an atmosphere.

Emmitt Smith would get four/five yards consistently, but it was ugly, falling forward on the strength of that offensive line.

With Lacy, when he pushes and wills himself forward or lays the lumber, it raises everybody's spirit. The runs look painful if there is a recipient of contact. I LOVE watching Lacy run, and hope that we properly manage his workload as he can be the most important player in ensuring our offense can drop points on anybody.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool is my captain.
luigis on 5/7/2014(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 7:32:08 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

My biggest knock on Lacy was his running style teamed with longevity/durability at this level.. so far, I am glad to be incorrect.

Guy runs like a bull in a china shop with a large limit on the credit card.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
play2win on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Offline rabidgopher04  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 8:52:57 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 114
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
My biggest knock on Lacy was his running style teamed with longevity/durability at this level.. so far, I am glad to be incorrect.

Guy runs like a bull in a china shop with a large limit on the credit card.

It's only his first year. We'll get 5-8 years out of him, tops, with his running style. He's a beast, but it's coming at a price to himself both career-wise and for his physical health.

The only real knock on him (that I see) is the lack of speed running down the open field. He can't outrun the secondary on long runs, but that's ok. This guy can break through and make a 1 yard run into a 7 yard gain. It's awesome.

Do you like bacon?
Offline DarkaneRules  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 8:53:30 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

When he gutted last week's game I thought I adored this guy, but him battling through a sprained ankle again this game just took this guy beyond anything I could have possible expected. What a great football player Eddie Lacy is.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
play2win on 12/16/2013(UTC), musccy on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 8:57:02 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post

The only real knock on him (that I see) is the lack of speed running down the open field. He can't outrun the secondary on long runs, but that's ok. This guy can break through and make a 1 yard run into a 7 yard gain. It's awesome.

You can see that on the 60 yard run. He has some very good top end speed, but it really only lasts for a few seconds. Beyond 30 yards he can't really break away. For all the other positives he offers, though, I'll take it. Theoretically, Franklin is supposed to be the lightning to Lacy's thunder.
Offline wpr  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 9:05:32 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
You can see that on the 60 yard run. He has some very good top end speed, but it really only lasts for a few seconds. Beyond 30 yards he can't really break away. For all the other positives he offers, though, I'll take it. Theoretically, Franklin is supposed to be the lightning to Lacy's thunder.

with as inconsistent as the OL is I would rather have a back who can hammer forward for 3 -4 yards after getting hit in the backfield than a scatback who, if untouched can run for 50-60 yards.
UserPostedImage

Bigbyfan on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 9:10:29 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
with as inconsistent as the OL is I would rather have a back who can hammer forward for 3 -4 yards after getting hit in the backfield than a scatback who, if untouched can run for 50-60 yards.

Agreed 100%. I'm just saying Lacy's purpose isn't to be that homerun back - theoretically we drafted that guy this year as well.

I can't recall a Packer RB that finishes runs like him since I've been watching in the late '80's. He makes you pay if you're going to try to tackle him, he twists, squirms, and wiggles for every extra inch. Incredible asset to have, hopefully for another 5 or so years.

Offline rabidgopher04  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 9:20:23 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 114
Applause Received: 127

Agreed 100%. I'm just saying Lacy's purpose isn't to be that homerun back - theoretically we drafted that guy this year as well.

Don't forget that we have Starks who is more proven than Franklin to play that role.

Do you like bacon?
Offline mi_keys  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 9:27:59 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 227
Applause Received: 359

It's only his first year. We'll get 5-8 years out of him, tops, with his running style. He's a beast, but it's coming at a price to himself both career-wise and for his physical health.

It's for this reason that I want to see a few more touches go to Starks or, in the future, Franklin; especially, when they have both been effective at times this year. Lacy looks such a special talent I really want to make sure we maximize his effectiveness and his career.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nerdmann on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 9:59:18 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I didn't think we had a disagreement. I just augmented your comment saying I would rather have him than some other backs.
UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 10:25:53 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
It's for this reason that I want to see a few more touches go to Starks or, in the future, Franklin; especially, when they have both been effective at times this year. Lacy looks such a special talent I really want to make sure we maximize his effectiveness and his career.

I agree. Would love to see Starks get more carries, along with Lacy. That will help us win the important games we have ahead. More run will keep opposing offenses off the field, chew up clock, maintain possession, and increase the effectiveness of our passing game. I huge dose of the 1-2 Lacy-Starks punch in the face. I hope to see it all the way to another Lombardi Trophy, should we be fortunate enough to make it into the playoffs. I'm hoping...
nerdmann on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 11:10:17 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

As one of Ted Thompson's biggest detractors, I will say, good job Ted on this one, BUT, I remind the Ted Thompson lovers this: the Lacy pick was very much out of character with what he usually goes with. Lacy was a proven player - a big time performer in college. Usually - and unfortunately, Thompson seems to prefer "projects" instead of players like Lacy. Drafting more established college players instead of projects is one thing I really wish Thompson would do - assuming I won't get my real wish - a different GM for the Packers.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline sschind  
#20 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 11:29:22 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

I was trying to think of all the RBs who would have made that and 80 yard TD run but like you said its making the 7 yard gains from nothing that happen more often than the long runs. I'll take our guy if he can do that.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline sschind  
#21 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 11:40:01 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I agree. Would love to see Starks get more carries, along with Lacy. That will help us win the important games we have ahead. More run will keep opposing offenses off the field, chew up clock, maintain possession, and increase the effectiveness of our passing game. I huge dose of the 1-2 Lacy-Starks punch in the face. I hope to see it all the way to another Lombardi Trophy, should we be fortunate enough to make it into the playoffs. I'm hoping...

It's not going to happen. for as long as I can remember the Packers have always been a 1 back offense when they were healthy. The healthy #1 will get 90% of the touches and the healthy backup will rarely get a carry. Its nice to have a quality backup in case Lacy gets injured but if he stays healthy the quality backup is going to sit...and sit and sit.

Heck, they don't even like to use the backups when the #1 guy is banged up a little. Case in point this last game. Lacy was nursing an injury, you would think Starks might get more than 3 carries. Nope, Lacy still gets 21. Now had he only gotten 20 we may have lost so if we win you have to go with it but the overall picture is that he is being used a lot and he will always be used a lot. Is he being used too Much? That remains to be seen.

You may get the "more runs" that you want but it will be Lacy who will be doing it.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Online steveishere  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 12:05:38 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
As one of Ted Thompson's biggest detractors, I will say, good job Ted on this one, BUT, I remind the Ted Thompson lovers this: the Lacy pick was very much out of character with what he usually goes with. Lacy was a proven player - a big time performer in college. Usually - and unfortunately, Thompson seems to prefer "projects" instead of players like Lacy. Drafting more established college players instead of projects is one thing I really wish Thompson would do - assuming I won't get my real wish - a different GM for the Packers.

Who are all the projects that weren't established college players?

Casey Hayward - 2 time all-sec, 7 INT as a senior (3rd in the Nation)
Jerel Worthy - 3 year starter in B10, Consesus 1st team all-american his final year

Randall Cobb - 33 starts in the SEC, 1st team all-american and 1st team all-SEC and finalist for the Paul Hornung award his final year

Mike Neal - 46 games (23 starts) in the B10, HM All-B10 as a senior. Finished 2nd on his team in sacks and 3rd in TFL his Senior season.

Jordy Nelson - Consensus all-american & 1st team all-big 12 after a 1606 yard senior season which was 2nd in the nation
Brian Brohm - CUSA Freshman of the year, 2006 Heisman candidate, 2007 Orange Bowl MVP
Pat Lee - 22 starts in the SEC and 2nd team all-SEC as a senior.

These are just the recent 2nd round picks like Lacy but there's enough here to see your are pretty much full of shit once again.
play2win on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 12:23:41 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Who are all the projects that weren't established college players?

Casey Hayward - 2 time all-sec, 7 INT as a senior (3rd in the Nation)
Jerel Worthy - 3 year starter in B10, Consesus 1st team all-american his final year

Randall Cobb - 33 starts in the SEC, 1st team all-american and 1st team all-SEC and finalist for the Paul Hornung award his final year

Mike Neal - 46 games (23 starts) in the B10, HM All-B10 as a senior. Finished 2nd on his team in sacks and 3rd in TFL his Senior season.

Jordy Nelson - Consensus all-american & 1st team all-big 12 after a 1606 yard senior season which was 2nd in the nation
Brian Brohm - CUSA Freshman of the year, 2006 Heisman candidate, 2007 Orange Bowl MVP
Pat Lee - 22 starts in the SEC and 2nd team all-SEC as a senior.

These are just the recent 2nd round picks like Lacy but there's enough here to see your are pretty much full of shit once again.

Far be it from me to support TX in a post. I don't remember all the #2s but Jordy was a "little" bit of a gamble in the 2nd round. As was Neal and Brohm. At least according to the so called experts. Jordy could maybe sorta go in the second but most thought he was a 3rd or 4th round. Neal 3rd-5th. Brohm I really don't remember. Nor Lee
UserPostedImage

Online steveishere  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 12:35:47 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Far be it from me to support TX in a post. I don't remember all the #2s but Jordy was a "little" bit of a gamble in the 2nd round. As was Neal and Brohm. At least according to the so called experts. Jordy could maybe sorta go in the second but most thought he was a 3rd or 4th round. Neal 3rd-5th. Brohm I really don't remember. Nor Lee

He said established college players not where Mel Kiper expected them to go in the draft. Jordy was considered a top WR and Brohm a top QB anyways. The fake experts thought Neal was a big reach and a 5th ish rounder but we know that at least 1 other actual team (Cowboys) had him as a 3rd rounder which shows you how much those experts know and why it's silly to absolutely trust their draft rankings and use them to call players a reach. None of that is really what Texas was asking anyways he didn't say reaches or gambles he said established college players who were big time performers. The only 2nd rounder I can think of that would support his point is Nick Collins who was still a high level performer in college but in a small 1-AA division.
Online Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 12:37:44 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

How many rookies come directly out of college and bust onto the scene as perennial all-pro year after year?

BTW, as I said in the thread linked, (not all of my comments were venom) I had started swaying my opinion of Lacy after the scrimmage. And I also drafted him in the fantasy league in the 4th round (54th overall). I took him higher than Ted Thompson, does that mean I'm more smarters??

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan on 12/16/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed