Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The_Green_Ninja  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:05:48 PM(UTC)
The_Green_Ninja

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 27

What hurts me...

Is that this most likely it. Aaron Rodgers is 30 and getting older. This is the down slope. We don't have a star QB forever. We were spoiled by Brett Favre and then Aaron Rodgers and the chance of getting a third star QB is so rare. We now have Eddie Lacy, we have some great WR, and so on. But what we don't have after years of football is a true stellar defense. We had a brink in 2010, but it died from there thanks to a few key players leaving. We need replacements.

Dom, I believe, makes good calls. I don't believe in our personnel. These blown assignments, these mental errors kill us. And as it kills us it kills our team and its true chance at a Super Bowl.

Alright then, what now? We have at most I'd say 10 years of possibly the best QB of all time. It's time to crack down, it's time to make moves to help us more and more. It's not time to hit panic yet, but it's time to not screw around. Ted, if you see a chance at FA go for it. If you see a key player trade up (you have before, and it worked). This team needs a slap in the ass and it needs a spark

A hunger will emerge from this. A hunger this team has been missing for 4 years.

What heals me... is a very, very hopeful future.
UserPostedImage
Online Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:12:15 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,225

Every year it's "wait til next year when we are not hurt/injured".

Time to draft bigger stronger men instead of the project wonder boys.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
gotarace on 1/5/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 1/5/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:14:50 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,709
Applause Received: 664

The training staff needs to do that "balancing the muscles and joints" thing.

This D lost two starters on the first drive, including arguably the best player they had left on the field, in Sam Shields. But they man'd up all day.

I have no problem with the D's performance.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline The_Green_Ninja  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:17:26 PM(UTC)
The_Green_Ninja

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

This D lost two starters on the first drive, including arguably the best player they had left on the field, in Sam Shields. But they man'd up all day.

Was it the missed interception, poor run defense, or failure to check Colin that you liked the most?
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 1/5/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:28:32 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: The_Green_Ninja Go to Quoted Post
Was it the missed interception, poor run defense, or failure to check Colin that you liked the most?

It was the way they played with heart.

People say it's "OK" when the offense shits itself, but we win anyway. I don't.

Today we lost, but the defense played hard, and I don't think they should hang their heads at all.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's whether or not you're conducting yourself the right way. YOU DON'T JUST DO THE RIGHT THING SOME OF THE TIME.

On D, we played our hearts out and got beat. On O, we shit ourselves for the entire first quarter then intermittently for the rest of the game. That running play to Cobb really disgusted me.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:30:56 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

If you REALLY wanna know what hurts me the most, it's two things.

1: The consistent LULLS. Especially on offense. Mike out thinks himself. Doesn't know how to get his guys emotionally ready for games.

2: The fluke plays that follow this team. 80% of them go against us. And you can count the Kaepernick runs iin this category, both last year and this year.

3: Injuries too. But that's a whole other topic.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 8:34:50 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

If you REALLY wanna know what hurts me the most, it's two things.

1: The consistent LULLS. Especially on offense. Mike out thinks himself. Doesn't know how to get his guys emotionally ready for games.

2: The fluke plays that follow this team. 80% of them go against us. And you can count the Kaepernick runs iin this category, both last year and this year.

3: Injuries too. But that's a whole other topic.

You remind me of Buzz in Home alone

3 things

A.

&

D.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:10:03 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 439

I really didn't expect a win. The injuries
and the fact that Aaron Rodgers missed so much
time made me only hope for a win.
They played hard, but once again in crunch
time the defense couldn't make a big
play to stop the Niners.
And the offense couldn't make a play at
all in the whole 1st quarter.
Disappointing that it was so close, only to
end the same as the last 2 games against
those guys.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:21:04 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
I really didn't expect a win. The injuries
and the fact that Aaron Rodgers missed so much
time made me only hope for a win.
They played hard, but once again in crunch
time the defense couldn't make a big
play to stop the Niners.
And the offense couldn't make a play at
all in the whole 1st quarter.
Disappointing that it was so close, only to
end the same as the last 2 games against
those guys.

I expected them to go into a lull, get down and try to rally back. I expected the defense to disappoint in the clutch.

lol
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:36:26 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

Let's get realistic and concentrate on the fourth quarter. We have the ball 1st and goal on the 8 yard line and run some gimmick play with our slot receiver in the backfield - horribly telegraphed. 2nd and goal from the 10, we roll out Rodgers and only give 2 options to throw to - ball gets thrown away. 3rd and goal, Rodgers scrambles for 5 yards because nobody can get open. We had just run the ball down their throats the whole second half - who calls these shit plays in the red zone?

The last drive for the 49ers, they convert 2 3rd and 10's and two 3rd and shorts. Now the 3rd and shorts are acceptable but not the 3rd and 10's, ever. And we continue to allow these 3rd down conversions which is a major reason we are the 25th overall defense. Did they play hard today, sure, but a championship team does more than play hard. Our defense is far from championship caliber.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 7 applause.
nerdmann on 1/5/2014(UTC), porky88 on 1/5/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 1/5/2014(UTC), Dulak on 1/6/2014(UTC), play2win on 1/6/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 1/6/2014(UTC), Kyle on 1/6/2014(UTC)
Offline rabidgopher04  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:37:23 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: The_Green_Ninja Go to Quoted Post
What hurts me...

Is that this most likely it. Aaron Rodgers is 30 and getting older. This is the down slope. We don't have a star QB forever. We were spoiled by Brett Favre and then Aaron Rodgers and the chance of getting a third star QB is so rare. We now have Eddie Lacy, we have some great WR, and so on. But what we don't have after years of football is a true stellar defense. We had a brink in 2010, but it died from there thanks to a few key players leaving. We need replacements.

Dude, Peyton Manning just had the year of his career in his late 30s. Brady is still in good form. Drew Brees is still a badass at age 34. Rodgers is not on the downside. Truly great QBs can last for a while. We could have 4-9 good years left from Rodgers.

Do you like bacon?
DoddPower on 1/5/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:55:49 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Let's get realistic and concentrate on the fourth quarter. We have the ball 1st and goal on the 8 yard line and run some gimmick play with our slot receiver in the backfield - horribly telegraphed. 2nd and goal from the 10, we roll out Rodgers and only give 2 options to throw to - ball gets thrown away. 3rd and goal, Rodgers scrambles for 5 yards because nobody can get open. We had just run the ball down their throats the whole second half - who calls these shit plays in the red zone?

The last drive for the 49ers, they convert 2 3rd and 10's and two 3rd and shorts. Now the 3rd and shorts are acceptable but not the 3rd and 10's, ever. And we continue to allow these 3rd down conversions which is a major reason we are the 25th overall defense. Did they play hard today, sure, but a championship team does more than play hard. Our defense is far from championship caliber.

The D got beat tonight, but they played with heart. They showed up ready to play, they just got out played.

I wish I could say as much about the offense.

Keep in mind, this D lost two starters on the first series. That is in addition to Clay, Hayward and others. I'll take the effort this D put into this game every time.
Offline porky88  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 10:21:42 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 409

If I recall correctly, the Packers ran the same play in week one and Cobb nearly scored on it. You need to anticipate that a good coaching staff like San Francisco is going to prepare their players for it. They read that all the way. Furthermore, Lacy and Starks were both running the ball very well. It was an unnecessary call.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 11:20:13 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

I don't like hearing when people say that we're done. Never gonna win another one because of a bad few seasons in the playoffs.

What the Packers need to do is bring in some fresh new minds to coach this team and replace some players.

Our defense has not been good these past 3 years so I hope Ted wakes up and move on from Dom. Yes it could be on the players, blah blah blah. Not all Doms fault, blah blah blah. If somethings broke fix it. We need to see if something else works cause imo it can't get any worse than it is now. What's there to lose right?

Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 7:33:32 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Poor decisions from Mike McCarthy on our last drive. Failing to put up a TD was horrific, given we had an exceptional running game going very strong. The call for a Cobb run was about as foolish as can be. Proof that he still doesn't know how to call a good running attack. He had all he needed to score the TD.

Add to that, your most important point, we simply are not a championship calibre defense, along with so many key players injured, and there you have it. We do not have the horses to win the race. Until this defense gets about 4 blue chip players on it, and a DC who knows what to do with them, we will continue to fail.

Ted, Mike and Dom share the blame equally in our inability to compete.
Online Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 7:43:19 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,225

Packers offense played a game they didn't deserve to win. The defense had troubles on 3rd down, but by no means is this solely on them. This loss is 80% on the inept offense.

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
If I recall correctly, the Packers ran the same play in week one and Cobb nearly scored on it. You need to anticipate that a good coaching staff like San Francisco is going to prepare their players for it. They read that all the way. Furthermore, Lacy and Starks were both running the ball very well. It was an unnecessary call.

I was on the opposite 20 yard line, but when I seen 18 in the backfield in that situation, I was pissed. You absolutely MUST have Starks or Lacy in the backfield, or at least Kuhn and go 3 WR to stretch the safeties responsibilities. I saw one of the plays with only 3 DL I was thinking my gosh, run fades and QB can walk through the damn middle for TD. But noo... they have to freaking be cute with Cobb. Stupid concept when you're & and goal to go. You do not bring one of your weapons into the backfield (Cobb) and have another weapon (Lacy) on the bench. Make the damn defense account for multiple threats.

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Wade on 1/6/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 1/6/2014(UTC)
Offline The_Green_Ninja  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 8:05:42 AM(UTC)
The_Green_Ninja

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
Dude, Peyton Manning just had the year of his career in his late 30s. Brady is still in good form. Drew Brees is still a badass at age 34. Rodgers is not on the downside. Truly great QBs can last for a while. We could have 4-9 good years left from Rodgers.

Dude. Not that he will get worse, he will get better. But I'm talking our opportunities. We were climbing and developing Rodgers. Now we are at the stage where he will improve, but he will now leave sooner than later.
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 8:15:17 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Using this logic, the Packers shouldn't have even bothered playing offense yesterday. I'm willing to bet the 49ers had seen some of the other Packers plays to this point, including runs to Lacy and Starks.

Cobb has proven to be a dynamic shifty player who you want to get the ball to...people bitch about Mike's predictability, so he runs out of an empty backfield 5 wr set and still gets blasted This is ONE running play, on I believe 1st down, that STILL GAINED YARDS, yet people are acting like he steered the titanic into the iceburg.

Offline dhpackr  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 8:21:22 AM(UTC)
dhpackr

Applause Given: 36
Applause Received: 36

I have a problem with how flat footed and utterly slow Morgan Burnett reacted to the TD to Vernon Davis...He flat missed that play and numerous other solo tackles on various RB's throughout the season....

IMO he is not a NFL Safety and needs to be replaced....

Watching Vernon Davis whip AJ hawk and Morgan Burnett, that really hurt me!

So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Offline wpr  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 8:40:25 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,521

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Using this logic, the Packers shouldn't have even bothered playing offense yesterday. I'm willing to bet the 49ers had seen some of the other Packers plays to this point, including runs to Lacy and Starks.

Cobb has proven to be a dynamic shifty player who you want to get the ball to...people bitch about Mike's predictability, so he runs out of an empty backfield 5 wr set and still gets blasted This is ONE running play, on I believe 1st down, that STILL GAINED YARDS, yet people are acting like he steered the titanic into the iceburg.

Put the Packers out at the 50 and Cobb in the backfield, split the receivers out wide and run them deep, GREAT! Spread the defense out and he will have a chance to makes some moves. Pack everyone into 8 yards area and he has no room. Poor call. Cobb is strong he he is not as strong as Lacy.

As far as him gaining yards 1 yard is nothing to celebrate. The point of the play is to score. They needed 9 yards not 1.

Getting back to the question of is GB a tough team or not. This play is indicative that they are not. A tough team hammers the ball up the middle for 4-5 yards. Then hammers it up the middle for another 4 yards. If they didn't score they hammer it in on 3rd down. This cutsie trick play shows that Mike didn't think his O line could impose their will on the defense when they had to.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Wade on 1/6/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 1/6/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#21 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 8:54:45 AM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Put the Packers out at the 50 and Cobb in the backfield, split the receivers out wide and run them deep, GREAT! Spread the defense out and he will have a chance to makes some moves. Pack everyone into 8 yards area and he has no room. Poor call. Cobb is strong he he is not as strong as Lacy.

As far as him gaining yards 1 yard is nothing to celebrate. The point of the play is to score. They needed 9 yards not 1.

Getting back to the question of is GB a tough team or not. This play is indicative that they are not. A tough team hammers the ball up the middle for 4-5 yards. Then hammers it up the middle for another 4 yards. If they didn't score they hammer it in on 3rd down. This cutsie trick play shows that Mike didn't think his O line could impose their will on the defense when they had to.

If you define cutsie trick plays by a handoff to a non tailback, then they ran ONE all game, which happened to be on first down. The last TD drive the Packers had, if I'm not mistaken, they ran Lacy left for about 3 then Kuhn up the gut for the last 2 yards and a score. Did Mike not trust his offensive line then? How about the rest of the game when M.M. (excluding Aaron Rodgers runs) ran 29 times to 26 passes?

The formation spreads out a stout defense in the red zone and gives the ball to arguably the team's shiftiest and quickest playmaker. Did we expect Lacy to gain 9 if he was given the ball from there? Mike mixed it up, heaven forbid.

The 49ers ran a reverse that went for negative 5 or so yards, and I believe out of FG range in the 1st half. That was one play...should we make the same sweeping generalizations about Greg Roman that we are about Mike McCarthy?
Offline porky88  
#22 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 1:18:19 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 409

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post

I am critiquing one play. I’m not asking for Mike McCarthy’s head on a spike.

It's a play designed to catch the defense napping. You can't compare it to a standard play because that's not what it is. Without the surprise, the probability of success goes way down. That's difficult to do when you've already shown this team the exact same play before. The moment they motioned Cobb into the backfield, the 49ers knew where the ball was going. There was no disguise.

I’m all for getting Randall Cobb the ball, so that‘s not my gripe. My issue is that it didn’t make sense given the situation. Lacy and Starks were wearing down San Francisco’s defense. The 49ers weren’t finishing tackles, yet neither received a carry once Green Bay got inside the 10-yard line.

Plus, they ran it against San Francisco before and a good coaching staff should anticipate adjustments from their counterparts. For example, San Francisco ran the zone-read against Green Bay in 2012. They knew the Packers would adjust and be ready for it in 2013, so they came out throwing.
wpr on 1/6/2014(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#23 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 1:25:04 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 399
Applause Received: 1,078

What hurts me.. not being able to suit up and help this team. LOL.

Seriously.. the lack of physicality from the defense the last couple of season. We have few players on it that bring that element to the fold weekly. This season on the offensive side we have found it with a running game that can pound it at even the most physical of defenses.. and hat starts with Sitton and Lang up front and a bruiser that refuses to go down on impact in Lacy. But on defense.. we lack a guy to instill a bit of hurt on the offense consistently.. Daniels flashes it up front.. Perry and Neal look the part at times.. Richardson has the traits in the backend.. but weekly.. it isn't there.

Look at old man Justin Smith on the Niners.. that is the angry factor we miss weekly. And when we think we might find a guy with it.. he generally goes down and is on the sidelines.

Oh and Clay.. he hasn't been that guy for a couple of seasons now..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
wpr on 1/6/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 1/6/2014(UTC), Wade on 1/6/2014(UTC)
Online texaspackerbacker  
#24 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 1:51:41 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

I don't know if it hurts me so much as it pisses me off - Mccarthy's playcalling in general - the Cobb run being just a very small part of it.

This whole line of bullshit in this forum pushing run first actually seems to be taken seriously by McCarthy - who used to be a great PASS FIRST playcaller. I don't care how great a runner Lacy is, it is stupid to start virtually every series, every new set of downs with a run - or worse, two runs. Even that first TD drive where we scored, Lacy would run for 3 or 4, wasting downs, and putting added pressure on Rodgers for completions. People whine about time of possession; Fuck T.O.P.; Throw it down the field. The unfortunate tendency to let Kaepernick run wild or otherwise move it down the field on us wouldn't mean nearly as much if Rodgers were unleashed, and simply did what we have been doing for 3 or 4 years - until McCarthy seemingly bought into the idiocy being spewed this season of run first. I like our chances of beating teams a helluva lot better if we score in the 40s than if we score in the 20s. Rodgers has been able to put up numbers like that even with shitty O-Line blocking. On the other hand, running on early downs ain't gonna bring success with the quality of O-Line we have, not even with Lacy.

I will now sit back and read what a bunch of damn fools write about the wonderfulness of wasting those downs with 1 to 4 yard runs.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline musccy  
#25 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 2:11:38 PM(UTC)
musccy

I am critiquing one play. I’m not asking for Mike McCarthy’s head on a spike.

It's a play designed to catch the defense napping. You can't compare it to a standard play because that's not what it is. Without the surprise, the probability of success goes way down. That's difficult to do when you've already shown this team the exact same play before. The moment they motioned Cobb into the backfield, the 49ers knew where the ball was going. There was no disguise.

I’m all for getting Randall Cobb the ball, so that‘s not my gripe. My issue is that it didn’t make sense given the situation. Lacy and Starks were wearing down San Francisco’s defense. The 49ers weren’t finishing tackles, yet neither received a carry once Green Bay got inside the 10-yard line.

Plus, they ran it against San Francisco before and a good coaching staff should anticipate adjustments from their counterparts. For example, San Francisco ran the zone-read against Green Bay in 2012. They knew the Packers would adjust and be ready for it in 2013, so they came out throwing.

If Lacy was in the backfield, it could have gone to him too. To me this is like people who complain something is predictable just because you ran or passed. It's much more than that, though, your pre-snap formation, how you move the defense with motion, which side you go to, how you pull, if you play action - all of this goes into a play as well. Yes, it may have been obvious it was going to Cobb, but the option to play action is there, and they didn't line up like that out of the huddle so the 49ers had much less time to adjust. I could keep going but we're arguing over one play that still gained yards.

Rss Feed