Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:01:27 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Who do YOU want Ted Thompson to sign to the Packers?

With around $26.5M in cap space to play with, I feel we MUST sign -at least one- sure, veteran defender to this team. Two would be better. For me, I'd love to see OLB Brian Orakpo (top 3-4 OLB talent who plays the left side) and FS Jairus Byrd both signed and in Packer uniforms for 2014. Both players are 27 years old and in the prime of their careers.

http://nfltraderumors.co...free-agents-top-50-list/

http://bleacherreport.co...rs-set-to-hit-the-market

The one defender I feel we must re-sign is Sam Shields. He is playing at a top CB level, and has incredible knowledge in our system. Beyond that, I would welcome some new, veteran blood with some upside. We need that on this defense, on this Packers team. This should have been done last offseason, as well as the one before that! Now is the time. Enough with strict Draft & Develop philosophies. These last 3 seasons have proven that does not work.

Jairus Byrd stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/p...s/_/id/12613/jairus-byrd

Brian Orakpo stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/p.../_/id/12439/brian-orakpo
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Rockmolder on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:10:04 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,521

It does no good to torment ourselves. Uncle Teddy won't sign the player needed off the FA list. The only guys on that list I want to sign are the 4 Packer players.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
DoddPower on 1/7/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:12:35 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
It does no good to torment ourselves. Uncle Teddy won't sign the player needed off the FA list. The only guys on that list I want to sign are the 4 Packer players.

He MUST sign at least one good defender this year wpr. He must. If he doesn't, I don't see how we improve this defense.

Our D is overall WAY too young, and we are about to lose two veterans in Pickett and Raji, maybe 3 if he doesn't pop for Shields, which I cannot imagine happening. Ted owes it to this team to do all he can to make it better. He hasn't done that these past 3 years, and we've seen those results.

DE Greg Hardy from CAR might be another worth pursuing: http://espn.go.com/nfl/p...ts/_/id/13377/greg-hardy
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:18:42 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,521

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
He MUST sign at least one good defender this year wpr. He must. If he doesn't, I don't see how we improve this defense.

Our D is overall WAY too young, and we are about to lose two veterans in Pickett and Raji, maybe 3 if he doesn't pop for Shields, which I cannot imagine happening. Ted owes it to this team to do all he can to make it better. He hasn't done that these past 3 years, and we've seen those results.

I am on your side big guy. I still doesn't see him manning up and popping for a quality starting FA. He will wait and pick through the leftovers. Maybe the guy will work out like Pick and Woody and maybe he will be released before the season begins.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 1/7/2014(UTC), Rockmolder on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Offline Laser Gunns  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:37:27 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 256

I'd shit bricks if we got anyone worth a damn.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
wpr on 1/7/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 9:40:53 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns Go to Quoted Post
I'd shit bricks if we got anyone worth a damn.

Right?

When we signed Pickett, he led the NFL in tackles for DL. We need an impact signing on our defense. It is LOOOOOONG overdue.

The positions on D that we can count on are bold:

LDE (vacant: BJ Raji)
NT Josh Boyd (uproven)
RDE Mike Daniels (***proven)
LOLB (vacant: Mike Neal)
LILB (vacant: Hawk should be upgraded)
MLB (vacant: Brad Jones should be upgraded)
ROLB Clay Matthews (***proven)
LCB Tramon Williams (***proven)
RCB Sam Shields (***proven, must be re-signed)
SS Morgan Burnett (could be a vacant position with his poor play, but he has a chance to improve)
FS (vacant: MD Jennings needs to go, Sean Richardson unproven)

That leaves a LOT of questions at 8 positions out of 11 on our D. Ted should address at least one if not two of those in FA this offseason IMO.

Message modified by user Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:03:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline porky88  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:19:31 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 409

For what it's worth, Bob McGinn thinks the Packers are going to be more active in free agency. He's the best Packers beat reporter, so I usually pay attention to what he has to say.

I would let Mike Neal walk if the Packers could sign Jason Worilds.
wpr on 1/7/2014(UTC), Rockmolder on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:08:45 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 104

I agree - lets get a Great LOLB and a decent safety and call it a day ...

Our corners arnt too bad ... as long as we get shields signed also ... Id trade for orakpo and a good safety and shields signed over pickett and raji - we'd just need to shore up the Dline with something decent
wpr on 1/7/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:16:54 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

Doesn't Uncle Ted usually take a ten day vacation at the start of free agency? Yeah, any top free agent you guys can pull from deep within your rectums, will be long gone after the man with no tan gets back from chilling. It's like you are all at your first rodeo. Oyveyy!!!!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
wpr on 1/7/2014(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 1/8/2014(UTC), play2win on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Online buckeyepackfan  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:25:18 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 457

I know there are some who are hoping Ted gets involved in FA early this year, if he does, just don't see OLB'r being the position he will address.

There are 5 OLBr's currently under contract, Mike Neal can play both DL and OLB, I see Ted trying to sign Neal before going after any UFA that come on the market, even if Neal leaves, I don't see OLB as a high priority.

There are 3 ILBr's under contract for 2014, with Francois(UFA) and Lattimore(RFA), I don't see Francois coming back, unless a team offers Lattimore a huge deal, I see Ted matching any offer and bringing him back.

Even if Lattimore is signed that still leaves an ILB position open(figure 5), so depending who's available, Ted could go after a FA ILBr or use a high pick in the draft.

2014 Cap Projections

PLAYER....POS....BASE SALARY.....SIGN.BONUS.OTHER BONUS.DEAD MONEY.CAP FIGURE

C.Matthews.OLB..1,000,000..........4,100,000........6,000,000....(16,400,000)..11,100,000
Nick Perry...OLB..1,071,750.............973,500............................(3,018,750)...2,045,250
N. Palmer....OLB....495,000...............24,724................................(74,172)......519,724
A.Mulumba..OLB....495,000.................1,666.................................(3,334).......496,666
V.Aiyewa.....OLB....495,000...........................................................................495,000

A.J. Hawk.....ILB...2,450,000..........1,600,000........1,050,000.....(3,200,000)....5,100,000
B.Jones........ILB...2,500,000..........1,000,000...........500,000.....(2,000,000)....4,000,000
S.Barrington.ILB......495,000...............12,250...............................(36,750).......507,250

UFA's 2014

DE /OLB Mike Neal
ILB Robert Francois

RFA 2014
ILB Jamari Lattimore

And here's a cap hit breakdown by player for 2014(Zero post from other thread)
http://www.spotrac.com/n...ay-packers/cap-hit/2014/

Would be great if every year Ted could just dump guys who we as fans deem replaceable, but the reality is with The Salary cap, GM's have to make decisions on which players to sign and stick with those decisions so the team doesn't end up in Cap Hell.

Message modified by user Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:36:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:34:29 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,225

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
For what it's worth, Bob McGinn thinks the Packers are going to be more active in free agency. He's the best Packers beat reporter, so I usually pay attention to what he has to say.

I would let Mike Neal walk if the Packers could sign Jason Worilds.

Bob McGinn flies by the seat of his pants and makes stuff up hoping it'll stick. Jason Wilde is the best Packers beat writer.

Packers should ink Brian Orakpo.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:31:44 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Doesn't Uncle Ted usually take a ten day vacation at the start of free agency? Yeah, any top free agent you guys can pull from deep within your rectums, will be long gone after the man with no tan gets back from chilling. It's like you are all at your first rodeo. Oyveyy!!!!!!

I love it Dakota! I know, you're right. But, maybe there's a chance…. Laughing

The dude has to know what he has been doing, like nothing, for 3 years in FA has hurt his team. It is time to make that change in philosophy.
wpr on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:15:05 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 261

I wouldn't mind one of those two names (Byrd or Orakpo) but both would strap this team down.

Would enjoy signing Orakpo because I think that is one helluva pass rush right there, which is what this team is in desperate need of. I'd also be able to use "Orakpo'd" towards my brother when he sacks Cutler and well, I just think that's fun.
UserPostedImage
Online steveishere  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:29:56 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

We'll need to add some guys if Dom stays as DC. His defenses aren't worth much unless he's got several all pro quality players at every level and any rookies we bring in will be useless to him.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:31:08 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 256

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Bob McGinn flies by the seat of his pants and makes stuff up hoping it'll stick. Jason Wilde is the best Packers beat writer.

Packers should ink Brian Orakpo.

Sarcasm or truth?

I can never tell with you.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline play2win  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:33:50 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Oh, I think it is truth, and I tend to agree. On both counts...
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 10:37:51 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Of the two, I would rather fill FS with a veteran. But we need to really watch the cap. We already are almost 1/4 of the cap in two players, it would really hurt to sink to much more in so few players.

I think Keeping Neal and having him at LOLB, he can get good push into the QB face and he is solid in run support. The question would be Perry than, could he make the move to ILB and replace Jones. I think he has the speed for inside, and some increase in size would help the run defense up the middle.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline blueleopard  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:35:58 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 72

Problem is I'm sure Orakpo is at the top of everybody's wishlist.

Byrd seems more probable, but I still don't see that happening.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Online Rockmolder  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:05:42 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 161
Applause Received: 263

Arthur Jones would be a great signing.

He's only 32nd on that NFLtraderumours list you posted, Play2win, but in my eyes, he's way better than that. I don't know how he's viewed in league circles, but if it's anything like that site has him, I'd love to get him under contract.
UserPostedImage
Online steveishere  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:19:08 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

As far as signing a FA I'd mostly look at S since drafting one seems like a major crap shoot. Byrd is one of the best coverage safeties in the league so he'd obviously be a great pick up though probably pretty expensive. Some other guys out there as far as I know are Whiter, Pollard, Ihedigbo, Mikell, Woodson (lol), and Ward. I would look into TJ Ward from the Browns, he's not really a big name guy but he's a good all-around type of player that would be a big improvement.

ILB FA looks like crap again this year so I wouldn't count on that too much.

OLB outside of Orakpo and Worilds is pretty thin. DE as far as edge rushers type is much more plentiful in case we happen to move on from Dom and change schemes.

At CB we really aren't hurting too much that we'd need to reach into FA. I think everyone would like to see Shields re-signed though.
Online texaspackerbacker  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:22:58 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
Arthur Jones would be a great signing.

He's only 32nd on that NFLtraderumours list you posted, Play2win, but in my eyes, he's way better than that. I don't know how he's viewed in league circles, but if it's anything like that site has him, I'd love to get him under contract.

Arthur Jones is a 315 pound D-Lineman. Come on! We have had enough of that kind of player. Get rid of fat pigs like that - Raji and Pickett, and what remains of our D-Line will be fine.

What we could use in free agency is a bookend OLB to go with Matthews. Orakpo, , Worilds, Suggs if he becomes available as a FA, etc. or maybe a quality Safety like Byrd.

Not signing Finley, Raji, Neal, and maybe James Jones would make some FA market activity possible, although knowing Thompson, I don't expect it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline cheeseheads123  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:34:13 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 117

Malcolm Jenkins!
UserPostedImage
Online buckeyepackfan  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:35:09 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 457

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 Go to Quoted Post
Malcolm Jenkins!

There's always room for another Buckeye!!!!!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jenkins has turned into a pretty damn good player.

I would say things will start to shape up around the end of February.

1.Tramon will rework the last year of his contract and sign a "cap friendly extension"

2.Get Sam Shields deal done.

3. Lock up Matt Flynn for 2 years

4. Sign EDS

5. Sign Mike Neal

6. Sign Johnny Jolly and Ryan Pickett(both will not break the bank and will help bring along the young guys for another 2 years)

7. Lock up John Kuhn, Andrew Quarless, & CJ. Wilson for another 2 years.

8. Sign James Jones(although I think his agent will want more than Ted will offer)

S. Wallace, K. Bell, M. Newhouse, Raji and R. Francois will not be offered contracts.

Jermichael Finley may want to sign a 1 year deal to prove he is healthy, then go for the big money in FA after 2014.

That would bode well for The Packers. Really not counting on Finley to return, but it could happen.

Edit: My wish list posted above!!!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
wpr on 1/8/2014(UTC)
Offline blueleopard  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 5:43:42 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 72

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014ILB.php

Thought I'd share this. New position every day.

Looks like Wesley Woodyard is gonna be available. Didn't Ted have strong interest in that guy?
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline beast  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:11:25 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 259
Applause Received: 320

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Arthur Jones is a 315 pound D-Lineman. Come on! We have had enough of that kind of player. Get rid of fat pigs like that - Raji and Pickett, and what remains of our D-Line will be fine.

Judging somebody based solely on their weight is very stupid... and you need some run defenders so getting rid of all the big guys isn't very smart either.

Arthur Jones is one of the best DL in FA this year.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
play2win on 1/8/2014(UTC), Rockmolder on 1/9/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed