Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:52:46 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,710
Applause Received: 664

Darin Gantt wrote:
Packers safety Nick Collins had more than 140 characters worth of information on his possible comeback Wednesday, and how it could impact others in the same position. He followed up on a series of tweets by telling Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com that he was ready and willing to risk it to play again, after being...
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:15:45 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

With what's being reported about Finley loving the idea of playing for Seahawks or Giants... I doubt he's back. He's thinking grass is greener already.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 2/5/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:27:32 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

I really don't give a damn if Finley is back, especially for the money he is apparently expecting. Collins, however, assuming he could still be anything like he was before, would really be a welcome addition.

That brings us to the question: Is Nick Collins a blatant liar - saying that a lot of other teams' doctors cleared him, and the Packers doctor was basically the only one to reject him? OR Is the Packers doctor - and by proxy his bosses - Thompson and Murphy acting just plain stubbornly irrational? There really wouldn't seem to be any other possibilities, considering the certainty in Collins words.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:53:17 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I really don't give a damn if Finley is back, especially for the money he is apparently expecting. Collins, however, assuming he could still be anything like he was before, would really be a welcome addition.

That brings us to the question: Is Nick Collins a blatant liar - saying that a lot of other teams' doctors cleared him, and the Packers doctor was basically the only one to reject him? OR Is the Packers doctor - and by proxy his bosses - Thompson and Murphy acting just plain stubbornly irrational? There really wouldn't seem to be any other possibilities, considering the certainty in Collins words.

McKenzie has always been uber-conservative like that.

He doesn't ever want to be the guy who let a player go back out on the field, who subsequently got paralyzed. Most other doctors probably don't want that happen to them, after a player has already been rejected by some other team's doctor.

What happened to Collins was a complete waste. imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline musccy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:11:38 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
With what's being reported about Finley loving the idea of playing for Seahawks or Giants... I doubt he's back. He's thinking grass is greener already.

This was one of the comments from an NYG fan on profootballtalk today.

Quote:
nygf says:
Feb 4, 2014 8:46 PM
Great start. Once Jermichael is signed, all we gotta do is figure out who’s going to play TE for the other 8-9 games.

He's been the tease of all teases ever since the end of the '09 season.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:56:42 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
McKenzie has always been uber-conservative like that.

He doesn't ever want to be the guy who let a player go back out on the field, who subsequently got paralyzed. Most other doctors probably don't want that happen to them, after a player has already been rejected by some other team's doctor.

What happened to Collins was a complete waste. imo.

So you believe Collins told the truth, and the good doctor is a stubborn ass?

Not to get political, but I really hate when the word "conservative" is used to mean ........ stupid.

Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:12:27 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

Not to get political, but I really hate when the word "conservative" is used to mean ........ stupid.

Ironic, how the new word for stupid is conservative - with a picture of the Mount Rushmore of stupidity for illustration: Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Eric Cantor, and Paul Ryan.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:31:54 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
This was one of the comments from an NYG fan on profootballtalk today.

He's been the tease of all teases ever since the end of the '09 season.

Quote:
nygf says:
Feb 4, 2014 8:46 PM
Great start. Once Jermichael is signed, all we gotta do is figure out who’s going to play TE for the other 8-9 games.

What a great, great find musccy!!!!! Holy crap! Those are my feelings on the subject of Finley to a T.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:41:18 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

I would have to say, Collins is misremembering. If his claim that the Packers doctor was the only one that wouldn't clear him, than why was is he not playing anywhere else? The Packers released him, which means he was free to go to any of those other teams and let those doctors clear him to play.

While I am not a doctor nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express, I would apprehensive to bring a player back with a neck injury like that, especially at a position where hitting is so much a part of the job.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
pokethebear on 2/6/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:54:56 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

So you believe Collins told the truth, and the good doctor is a stubborn ass?

No, I believe the surgery was unnecessary.

It also seemed to me at the time that the doctor was less than forthright about the surgery.

Although I also recall hearing that the surgeon who actually operated, cleared him.
Offline pokethebear  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:02:57 AM(UTC)
pokethebear

United States

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 13

PFWT, that is exactly how I feel about Collins. If there were any way at all for him to continue playing the Packers would never have let him walk. It was a damned shame, but it just wasn't to be.

As far as Finley is concerned, I feel that he never lived up to all the hype. For every big play he made he had just as many drops. And that was when he could get on the field. The potential is still there, but the cost will prove to be to great to bear.

I say use the money to resign Jones and keep our WR corp intact. This will be beneficial to any TE whether it is Quarless, Bostic or someone that is drafted this year. Imagine if we have a rash of injuries to the receivers again next year.

Go Packers!
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:10:32 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
I would have to say, Collins is misremembering. If his claim that the Packers doctor was the only one that wouldn't clear him, than why was is he not playing anywhere else? The Packers released him, which means he was free to go to any of those other teams and let those doctors clear him to play.

While I am not a doctor nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express, I would apprehensive to bring a player back with a neck injury like that, especially at a position where hitting is so much a part of the job.

I'm pretty sure he is not talking about several years ago, but clearing or rejecting in the present, so I doubt he is misremembering.

Why would you be apprehensive - from the TEAM point of view - if the LAWYERS (f--- the doctors) say the team is protected?

Offline Dulak  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:49:01 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 104

Originally Posted by: pokethebear Go to Quoted Post
PFWT, that is exactly how I feel about Collins. If there were any way at all for him to continue playing the Packers would never have let him walk. It was a damned shame, but it just wasn't to be.

As far as Finley is concerned, I feel that he never lived up to all the hype. For every big play he made he had just as many drops. And that was when he could get on the field. The potential is still there, but the cost will prove to be to great to bear.

I say use the money to resign Jones and keep our WR corp intact. This will be beneficial to any TE whether it is Quarless, Bostic or someone that is drafted this year. Imagine if we have a rash of injuries to the receivers again next year.

Go Packers!

Whats sad is - I saw a big change in finley this year - he bulked up; and looked much better on the field. I started to think he might turn out to be a vernon davis type ...
and then the injury.

I dont know if the packers should try to keep him or not. Its one thing having a neck injury and another neck surgery ... btw how is the surgery supposed to help the injury? - did it help to correct the problem? did it help with the underlying cause? ... same with collins.

GL to finley - if he 'clears' our 'doctor' I hope he is on our team (at the right price).

pokethebear on 2/9/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 9:24:39 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
Whats sad is - I saw a big change in finley this year - he bulked up; and looked much better on the field. I started to think he might turn out to be a vernon davis type ...
and then the injury.

I dont know if the packers should try to keep him or not. Its one thing having a neck injury and another neck surgery ... btw how is the surgery supposed to help the injury? - did it help to correct the problem? did it help with the underlying cause? ... same with collins.

GL to finley - if he 'clears' our 'doctor' I hope he is on our team (at the right price).

I saw the change for the positive last season with Finley too, but I can't help but think "too little, too late." He will be wanting the moon in terms of salary, and even bargained down, I think giving him a contract is too great a risk. I'd rather give the cash to a guy like Jones as was mentioned earlier by pokethebear.
pokethebear on 2/11/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 9:38:26 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I saw the change for the positive last season with Finley too, but I can't help but think "too little, too late." He will be wanting the moon in terms of salary, and even bargained down, I think giving him a contract is too great a risk. I'd rather give the cash to a guy like Jones as was mentioned earlier by pokethebear.

Ever since Aaron started meeting with him the night before games to go over the game plan with him, he's gotten more with the program. He's shut his pie hole too.

But he still thinks he's better than he is and will still demand more money than he's worth.
Offline DakotaT  
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:34:08 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

Ever since Aaron started meeting with him the night before games to go over the game plan with him, he's gotten more with the program. He's shut his pie hole too.

But he still thinks he's better than he is and will still demand more money than he's worth.

Which is why I don't think he's in a Packers uniform next season. I'd rather draft a big wide receiver, resign Jones, and go with Quarless and Bostic at TE. The first responsibility of a tight end is blocking, and with our improved running game, Finley is just not a good fit. Quarless on the other hand is.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:42:45 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Which is why I don't think he's in a Packers uniform next season. I'd rather draft a big wide receiver, resign Jones, and go with Quarless and Bostic at TE. The first responsibility of a tight end is blocking, and with our improved running game, Finley is just not a good fit. Quarless on the other hand is.

I couldn't agree more with this. Yeah, Finley always thought he was better than he actually played. Sure, he is a matchup problem for other defenses, but he wasn't what you would consider to be a sure, reliable receiving TE like some of the others around the league. And, wish suspect blocking, he doesn't seem worth half of his last contract… now, add the neck injury. Forget it. He ought to be done in GB.
Offline play2win  
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:43:53 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

That blew my mind that the guy needed all of this special attention and counsel the night before games. Wow. Get with the program already...
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:45:12 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 484

Isn't that the same crap that happened with Romo in Dallas with TO because he thought Romo was ignoring him to throw to Witten?
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 2/9/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:44:50 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
That blew my mind that the guy needed all of this special attention and counsel the night before games. Wow. Get with the program already...

Yeah, show up for and pay attention in, the team meetings like a goddamn normal person. This IS your job after all. lol

FACT: Finley KNOWS McKenzie is too conservative to allow him back on the field. His ONLY HOPE is to avoid that examination altogether and go to a different team. If I'm Jmike, my agent is scouting out which teams have the most liberal team physicians.
Dulak on 2/10/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#21 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 6:29:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

Yeah, show up for and pay attention in, the team meetings like a goddamn normal person. This IS your job after all. lol

FACT: Finley KNOWS McKenzie is too conservative to allow him back on the field. His ONLY HOPE is to avoid that examination altogether and go to a different team. If I'm Jmike, my agent is scouting out which teams have the most liberal team physicians.

You feel another team will skip the physical and pay him in excess of $6 million per year? I'm going to clue you in on a little somfin somfin. Every team has a medical staff. Every player goes through a physical. True, some GM's will force the medical staff to "clear" the player.

FACT: No one knows if McKenzie will clear Finley.

Sean Richardson was cleared. How do their injuries differ or how are they similar?
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#22 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 7:31:45 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

You feel another team will skip the physical and pay him in excess of $6 million per year? I'm going to clue you in on a little somfin somfin. Every team has a medical staff. Every player goes through a physical. True, some GM's will force the medical staff to "clear" the player.

Sean Richardson was cleared. How do their injuries differ or how are they similar?

Off the top of my head, I believe Finley's was a C3-4, where Richardson's was a C5-6. I could be wrong. There is greater risk for serious re-injury at 3-4 vs. 5-6.

Quote:
Finley's season ended on a huge hit by Browns safety Tashaun Gipson. He suffered a neck injury and spent some time in the intensive care unit. Then he had surgery to fuse together his C3 and C4 vertebrae. Despite how scary that sounds for a player who makes his living catching passes in the middle of the field, he wants to play tight end again.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jermichael-finley-excited-play-again-spinal-fusion-surgery-171659287--nfl.html

Quote:
Many players have resumed their careers after single-level fusion surgery, most notably Denver quarterback Peyton Manning. The Packers would not clear Collins, who suffered the injury at C-3 and C-4, after fusion surgery.

Hsu said renowned spine surgeon Robert Watkins has advised NFL players who had the fusion at C-3, C-4 not to return because C-1, C-2 could bear the brunt of another forceful compression. Some other surgeons will allow a return. The Packers have consulted with Watkins on a number of players, including Richardson.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/...80141.html#ixzz2sviOhbxn
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Quote:
Since Collins’ injury, two other Packers players have sustained similar injuries. Tight end Jermichael Finley and safety Sean Richardson both had fusion surgeries. Richardson, who was cleared to return late last season, had his C-5 and C-6 vertebra fused. It is considered safer at that spot because it is lower on the spine and farther away from the base of the skull.
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/tag/_/name/sean-richardson
nerdmann on 2/10/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#23 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 9:59:16 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

If Finley gets examined by our team doctor, he will NEVER PLAY AGAIN. He knows that, and his agent knows that.

His only chance is to get examined by someone else, who will clear him to play.
DoddPower on 2/10/2014(UTC)
Offline mi_keys  
#24 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 11:31:45 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 226
Applause Received: 359

If Finley gets examined by our team doctor, he will NEVER PLAY AGAIN. He knows that, and his agent knows that.

His only chance is to get examined by someone else, who will clear him to play.

What an absurd assertion. If Dr. McKenzie was so influential that his word determined the fate of a player regardless of the opinions of any other doctors then all 32 teams would seek his opinion every time there was a major injury. A player wouldn't have a choice to avoid McKenzie's examination if his opinion were that influential.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline nerdmann  
#25 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 11:43:44 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
What an absurd assertion. If Dr. McKenzie was so influential that his word determined the fate of a player regardless of the opinions of any other doctors then all 32 teams would seek his opinion every time there was a major injury. A player wouldn't have a choice to avoid McKenzie's examination if his opinion were that influential.

No doctor wants to be the guy who let a player get injured, after someone else said they shouldn't play.
Rss Feed