Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 11:16:05 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

Rob Demovsky wrote:

You’re referring to the fact they didn’t hire anyone as an outside linebackers coach to replace Kevin Greene. That’s possible, although they did say Winston Moss will coach inside linebackers and outside linebackers. And they promoted another coach, Scott McCurley, to help coach all linebackers. Also, defensive coordinator Dom Capers has run a 3-4 scheme for decades, and it’s unlikely he would overhaul his system in that regard. We’ll get a better idea on Monday, when the new assistant coaches are available for interviews.

Message modified by moderator Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:00:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 11:27:18 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 435

LombardiAve wrote:
There has been some talk lately about the Packers making a move to a 4-3 defense from the 3-4. We take detailed look at what the Packers defense would look like if they switched to a 4-3 alignment. Yes, we all know the Green Bay Packers defense has struggled as of late. Last season, the
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:02:02 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,170

no
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:49:02 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,622
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
no

Agreed. They're stocked with 4-3 personnel, but they won't switch.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:11:45 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

Packers aren't going to run 4-3 ... but don't be surprised if they run a lot of 4-2 formation (because it's their nickel package, which people call a 2-4 because the OLBers are lined up as 4-2 DEs.)
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 8:56:51 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 435

Hm but why not actually throw out a 4 man DL (with four hands in the dirt) with a 4-2 nickel or something?

Edit: Should have mentioned this before but what I meant was why not throw out the 4-2 nickel once in a while, not all the time.

Message modified by user Saturday, February 8, 2014 10:00:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
beast on 2/8/2014(UTC)
Offline Laser Gunns  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:42:54 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 40
Applause Received: 244

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Mucky Tundra on 2/8/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 2/9/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 10:07:46 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
Hm but why not actually throw out a 4 man DL (with four hands in the dirt) with a 4-2 nickel or something?

Edit: Should have mentioned this before but what I meant was why not throw out the 4-2 nickel once in a while, not all the time.

I think their logic is that they train the OLB to be the edge guys and not the DL.

But I agree with you that they should train them for the 4-2 spot as well... I think the longer guys like Neal, Datone Jones and maybe another one or two others might be good in that 4-2 role.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Dulak  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:53:43 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 154
Applause Received: 100

hope not - I like our 3-4; just need to tweak it a bit IMO and keep our guys healthy.

Our best defensive player was out most of the time or playing 1/2 armed.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 2/9/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 9:39:41 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,622
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
hope not - I like our 3-4; just need to tweak it a bit IMO and keep our guys healthy.

Our best defensive player was out most of the time or playing 1/2 armed.

How old is Clay? Hope he's not breaking down.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:17:04 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

There's too much obsession in here about 3-4 or 4-3. Defenses are about the sub-packages anyway. Our defense needs to identify the turds and rid ourselves of them, re-up Sam Shields, and get upgrades at safety and inside linebacker. Would love to see a top ten defense again!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool on 2/9/2014(UTC), wpr on 2/9/2014(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 2:26:23 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
There's too much obsession in here about 3-4 or 4-3. Defenses are about the sub-packages anyway. Our defense needs to identify the turds and rid ourselves of them, re-up Sam Shields, and get upgrades at safety and inside linebacker. Would love to see a top ten defense again!

ya but I think we all remember the sanders ara - ie before capers - our D could be read easily and we didnt do jack. IMO
Offline play2win  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 3:45:09 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

I wonder what this D would look like with 2 new LBs inside. Brad Jones has to be replaced. The guy sucks. Hawk has been durable, and almost always leads in tackles but I just wonder what it would be like having a better MLB there.

We need upgrades at so many positions. It boggles the mind:
NT
DE
OLB
MLB
ILB
SS (move Burnett back to FS)

I don't think we need to switch out of the 3-4, but we definitely need better players.
texaspackerbacker on 2/9/2014(UTC), Dulak on 2/10/2014(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 3:13:39 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I wonder what this D would look like with 2 new LBs inside. Brad Jones has to be replaced. The guy sucks. Hawk has been durable, and almost always leads in tackles but I just wonder what it would be like having a better MLB there.

We need upgrades at so many positions. It boggles the mind:
NT
DE
OLB
MLB
ILB
SS (move Burnett back to FS)

I don't think we need to switch out of the 3-4, but we definitely need better players.

I havnt liked brad jones since we drafted him ... you got some guys that looked tough or had alot of fire in em and they had some muscle ... then you had brad jones that didnt like look anything to do with the previous ... and still doesnt. Yet we paid him big $ last year with a contract (dont remember how long).

Supposedly he is our best pass def ILB ... Got to be better peeps out there then him.

Ive never really liked hawk either ... was only so so on the guy ... but I got to tell you this year ... especially with clay being out or hampered most of the time. I mostly saw hawk tearing it up. Prob first year I am glad we had hawk on our team and would want him again next year.

Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 5:44:51 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Dulak, Jones had 0 PDs and 0 INTs, for a guy who should be good in coverage with height and speed… I don't think he can cover. That is not part of his skill set. We can't have that in the middle of our D.

Figure with Raji going through the motions and not being effective, and Pickett always trying, but getting older and playing though injury all of last season, along with piss poor Safety play, our interior D left a lot to be desired. DL and LBs not getting home to the QB, not stopping the RB on run plays, and showing great difficulty in coverage over the middle.

I'm all for addressing the middle of our D this offseason. NT, DE, ILB, MLB and S. I hope they will bring in some good talent. We need it. My only question is, do they have the stones to cut loose the players, like Jones, who aren't producing?

At least Hawk made plays. 5 PDs and 1 INT, 1FF and 5 sacks to go with 118 tackles. If he had some real talent around him…. to think his numbers could have been even better… I like Hawk, because he is always there. He is reliable. I didn't care for his 2011-12 seasons - both play and his contract #s, but it was good to see him turn it completely around last season. I think we might be able to do better, but there are other positions listed that need far more attention.
Rss Feed