Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 3:34:52 PM(UTC)
Josh Alper said:
The Packers had a rough year defensively in 2013 as injuries took several key players away from a unit that struggled to stop just about every opponent that came their way. As a result, head coach Mike McCarthy said Monday that the "defense is going to change some' for the 2014 season. McCarthy didn't delve...
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 5:03:45 PM(UTC)
I'm not going to be holding my breath. SSALY. Just get rid of the lazy fat asses and the light in the asses who can't tackle and I'll be happy.
Wade  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 5:58:38 PM(UTC)
The changes that are coming:

1. Packers will draft at least two defensive players in first three rounds. All will get us all enthusiastic and we'll argue about their potential to develop for three years.
2. Some late round picks/post-draft rookie FAs will light up minicamps/training camp, and we'll get all excited and they'll get lost on special teams and the inactive list.
3. Next year this time we'll be debating the "potential" of different players as we debate the wisdom of putting all the eggs in the draft-and-develop basket.

(SSALY, Troy? Wazzat?)
Wade  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 6:00:10 PM(UTC)
p.s. What will make me seriously upset is if they let Shields go and re-sign Raji.
#5 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 6:28:29 PM(UTC)
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post

1. Packers will draft at least two defensive players in first three rounds. All will get us all enthusiastic and we'll argue about their potential to develop for three years.
2. Some late round picks/post-draft rookie FAs will light up minicamps/training camp, and we'll get all excited and they'll get lost on special teams and the inactive list.
3. Next year this time we'll be debating the "potential" of different players as we debate the wisdom of putting all the eggs in the draft-and-develop basket.

(SSALY, Troy? Wazzat?)

Acronym for Same Shit As Last Year!
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 6:53:02 PM(UTC)

(SSALY, Troy? Wazzat?)

Kinda pessimistic, dontcha think?

1. It's pretty much a slam dunk - 2 of 3, I'd guess 3 of 3 first draft picks. We were right to be excited about Datone Jones; I hope/think he justifies it next season - why? It's not uncommon for a D Lineman to take a year or two or three to reach his peak. Wasn't Daniels a 3rd round pick? Doing that good or better this time with LB picks might be enough if we can solve Safety in free agency.

2. That's about what you expect from late rounders and UDFAs, isn't it? Any more is gravy. The only one last year I saw much in was Mulumba, and there's still decent hope he amounts to something.

3. I don't recall much debate last off season about scrapping or seriously augmenting draft and develop - if it was going on, I was on the anti- side then. Hell, I still am if you're talking any change that's really significant.

We're CLOSE, real close. As the evil one correctly stated, addition by subtraction - just getting RID of Raji and Pickett will do wonders. That, getting/staying reasonably healthy, adding one Safety - either FA or Collins, and getting a couple early round LBs, nothing more extreme than that will do it. The question is, will Ted Thompson do even that little bit?

sschind  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 8:19:37 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker said: Go to Quoted Post
Kinda pessimistic, dontcha think?

2. That's about what you expect from late rounders and UDFAs, isn't it? Any more is gravy. The only one last year I saw much in was Mulumba, and there's still decent hope he amounts to something.

We're CLOSE, real close. As the evil one correctly stated, addition by subtraction - just getting RID of Raji and Pickett will do wonders. That, getting/staying reasonably healthy, adding one Safety - either FA or Collins, and getting a couple early round LBs, nothing more extreme than that will do it. The question is, will Ted Thompson do even that little bit?

Anyone who gets excited about the prospect of late rounders and UDFAs making a big impact in their first year is only setting themselves up for disappointment. It can happen but it is rare.

As Packer fans maybe its the only thing we can hang our hopes on because A) Ted Thompson has not been a big player in free agency and B) our track record for first round picks has not been stellar when injuries and such are factored in. That leaves us with a high performing late round pick or UDFA to look to as an impact player.

I agree with you about Jones and Daniels, This may be the year (how long have we been saying that though) that 2 guys step up and who knows, maybe a first rounder can actually contribute more than very spot duty.

Of course it is also difficult to discount the potential for SSALY.

I guess I choose to be optimistic. I don't expect a big FA signing but I am hopeful for a moderate one, maybe a starter at Safety or DL or TE or center or LB or whatever position. If we can land 1 starter better than a guy we have we are already ahead of the game. If we can sign Shields and a few other of our own key free agents (I'd like to see J. Jones, Starks and EDS but I'll let you argue your own guys) it will keep us strong on offense and finally if Bulaga and D. Jones and Sherrod can contribute for a full season like we hoped they would when drafted and if Daniels can keep improving I think we are looking pretty good. Add to that a nice crop of rookies and I think we get better, maybe even much better.

I know there are a lot of IFs in there and the last few years have not really given us any indication that these IFs will come to fruition but like I said I like to think on the positive side. I suppose I could go into the season thinking we are going to suck and then if we do well I will not be disappointed but I can't do that. I have to look on the bright side.

#8 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 8:52:13 PM(UTC)

[mfing]

I can't believe you can say shit like that and not be struck down by lightning. [roflmao]
#9 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 11:46:10 PM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
[mfing]

I can't believe you can say shit like that and not be struck down by lightning. [roflmao]

hahahaha Nice self portrait (the red one). Nobody can ever say you don't know yourself.

Laser Gunns  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:18:53 AM(UTC)
p.s. What will make me seriously upset is if they let Shields go and re-sign Raji.

I had a nightmare where they tagged Raji.... [puke]

El3ment12  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:04:42 AM(UTC)

Is it even possible for us to do something THAT stupid?
play2win  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:11:37 AM(UTC)
So, the defense is going to change? Good. I would love to see them mix it up a bit more and be less predictable. The only way that happens though is by changing out a good number of players: SS, NT, DE, ILB, OLB - at the very least.

Thinking Brad Jones carries any instincts needed at ILB is crazy. The weak showing of Raji should mean the door. MD Jennings should not be allowed back onto this team, I don't care if he plays for free. Morgan Burnett either has to move back to FS, or we get a proven vet to pair with him. No more CJ Wilson. If we re- sign Pickett, it should be as a backup. House? What has he done to earn his keep?

Change out these positions with upgrades and we are automatically better. I think doing so this year is impossible via draft alone.
nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:47:27 PM(UTC)
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
So, the defense is going to change? Good. I would love to see them mix it up a bit more and be less predictable. The only way that happens though is by changing out a good number of players: SS, NT, DE, ILB, OLB - at the very least.

Thinking Brad Jones carries any instincts needed at ILB is crazy. The weak showing of Raji should mean the door. MD Jennings should not be allowed back onto this team, I don't care if he plays for free. Morgan Burnett either has to move back to FS, or we get a proven vet to pair with him. No more CJ Wilson. If we re- sign Pickett, it should be as a backup. House? What has he done to earn his keep?

Change out these positions with upgrades and we are automatically better. I think doing so this year is impossible via draft alone.

Brad Jones can cover. He's also got versatility to play OLB if needed. This staff LOVES versatility.
play2win  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:17:00 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Brad Jones can cover. He's also got versatility to play OLB if needed. This staff LOVES versatility.

He couldn't cover last season. But, he got paid… and promptly mailed it in. I would cut his ass tomorrow. That is NOT what we need at ILB.
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:51:47 PM(UTC)
hahahaha Nice self portrait (the red one). Nobody can ever say you don't know yourself.

Yeah, well, what pisses you off is that I know you too well, Transparent Texas.
Wade  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:35:57 PM(UTC)
El3ment12 said: Go to Quoted Post
Is it even possible for us to do something THAT stupid?

Well, they did sign Brad Jones last year to a deal I was amazed by.

Wade  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:11:33 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post

IMO he is versatile in his mediocrity only.

He's serviceable as a backup. He isn't what I want in a starter linebacker. On the other hand, I grew up watching a team whose weakest starting LB was Lee Roy Caffey. Whose weakest starting DL was Bob Brown. Whose weakest starting DB was Dom Brown.

If the Packers had the 2014 equivalent of Caffey, Brown, and Brown quality at all defensive positions, with no Hall of Famer/All Pro types at all, they'd be head and shoulders above the current Packer defense in putting fear into the minds of opposing teams.

One could say the same thing of an OL whose starting players were no better than the 2014 equivalent of Bob Skoronski.

That's why I bitch so much. Forget about all the Hall of Famers. The current OL and defense are, IMO not up to the standards of the weaker parts of the Lombardi era teams.

IMO.

#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:29:27 PM(UTC)

He's serviceable as a backup. He isn't what I want in a starter linebacker. On the other hand, I grew up watching a team whose weakest starting LB was Lee Roy Caffey. Whose weakest starting DL was Bob Brown. Whose weakest starting DB was Dom Brown.

If the Packers had the 2014 equivalent of Caffey, Brown, and Brown quality at all defensive positions, with no Hall of Famer/All Pro types at all, they'd be head and shoulders above the current Packer defense in putting fear into the minds of opposing teams.

One could say the same thing of an OL whose starting players were no better than the 2014 equivalent of Bob Skoronski.

That's why I bitch so much. Forget about all the Hall of Famers. The current OL and defense are, IMO not up to the standards of the weaker parts of the Lombardi era teams.

IMO.

Shut up old man, I don't remember any of those jabronies and I'm getting ancient too. [roflmao]

We only have 4 or 5 top 100 players on our team. Time for another good draft.
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:07:52 PM(UTC)

IMO.

Nice Blast from the Past.

I tend to agree with you, but the Packers were kinda a bend-don't-break defense even back then - more finesse than a lot of teams. Detroit then/Detroit now - the more things change the more things stay the same, D anyway.

yooperfan  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:52:45 PM(UTC)

IMO.

Excellent post.
That's right in my wheelhouse.

Rss Feed