Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:14:01 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

The comment about Dom Capers "image" is interesting. Why not add players to his "image" in 2009, or 2010, or 2011, or 2012 or 2013? Why wait until year six?
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
mi_keys on 2/12/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 2/13/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:21:47 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 442

Overall average I would expect them to be smaller. Not the Jolly,Pickett,Raji front. But I'm not certain they are going to let Raji go, rather move him back to NT while having smaller DEs. I think BJ could afford to drop a few tons also.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:34:12 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,784
Applause Received: 675

"Smaller and quicker?" That didn't work out on our Oline, and it didn't work out on our Dline under Sherman. Remember that year Grady Jackson fell out of the sky and saved our season?

I don't like the sound of this.

That was also Rumsfeld's idea for Iraq. LOL
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 2/12/2014(UTC), musccy on 2/13/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:54:25 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 1,006

Dont care what size they are they just need good football players
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 2/13/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:58:36 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,403

I'm going to start being mean to TexasPackerBacker if we resign Raji; Buckeye too! I swear to God, I'll blow a gasket if that happens.
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:19:30 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 322

IF this is true... I think it means we're going to see the more aggressive and real Dom Capers system come back... the one we saw from 2009 to 2011. They got burned in 2011, so the Packers (because of their lack of pass rush / DB play in one on one) moved to a more conservative style (less risk) in 2012.

This could be the perfect time for it, with the run defenders being FAs, and the pass rushing being fairly young and possible to break out and have huge years.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline mi_keys  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:09:42 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 237
Applause Received: 370

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel Go to Quoted Post

The comment about Dom Capers "image" is interesting. Why not add players to his "image" in 2009, or 2010, or 2011, or 2012 or 2013? Why wait until year six?

HE SPEAKS!
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:36:53 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 392
Applause Received: 500

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
HE SPEAKS!

HEAR, AND BE ENLIGHTENED!

I've been sorta wondering who would be a better fit between Nix and Hageman if both were available at #21 in the draft. I found myself thinking that if it was 2006 or 2007, I'd go with Nix. But then I also thought that an athletic guy like Hageman at NT and turning him loose to make plays is more what we need in 2014. Texaspackerbacker has mentioned several times that the Cowboys ran a 3-4 with Jay Ratliff doing something similar. It might be what they're trying to go for.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:07:11 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel Go to Quoted Post

It makes no sense at all considering Dom has talked about how much he likes the big bodies along the d-line and has used the bigger guys so often even though our most successful guys have been the smaller faster ones for the most part. It seems like Dom has no clue what he wants at that position.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:29:09 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,784
Applause Received: 675

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
It makes no sense at all considering Dom has talked about how much he likes the big bodies along the d-line and has used the bigger guys so often even though our most successful guys have been the smaller faster ones for the most part. It seems like Dom has no clue what he wants at that position.

Could also be pre-draft disinfo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 1:27:04 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,169
Applause Received: 547

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Could also be pre-draft disinfo.

Yeah, there's no real reason to believe any of this.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:45:05 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 494
Applause Received: 305

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to start being mean to TexasPackerBacker if we resign Raji; Buckeye too! I swear to God, I'll blow a gasket if that happens.

Did you mistype that - meaning to say "stop" instead of "start"? It's kinda like a mosquito bite on my ass whenever you post hahahaha.

I think you and I are the top two detractors in here regarding Raji and Pickett - which is saying a lot, since they are so widely hated.

Finally one of the talking heads is putting it into print what I have been saying for a long time now - Daniels, Worthy, and D. Jones, with Boyd and Jolly also in the rotation, would amount to a very decent D Line. I question whether that would represent a change in Capers type personnel, as I recall when he was with other teams, he generally had athletic LBs with big clods in the line acting almost like O Linemen for the LBs. Whatever about that - I like it a lot better having D Linemen who actually can function on their own.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline beast  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 9:29:39 AM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post

I think a lot of people are missing the context that the DL have been used differently. The big bodies have been more often been askd to control the OL, not let there be running gaps on the inside and pass rush less. While the smaller guys have been asked to pass rush more, try to control the OL less and running game less. So what they were being asked to do was some what different and so their over all goals aren't the same. Those big guys could of been very successful and most wouldn't noticed as they were being asked to do the dirty works which rarely gets notice.

Example, everyone seems to remember Clay Matthews fumble in the Super Bowl...but how did he get that shot at the RB like that? Pickett pushed the OL backwards and he took away the inside run forcing him to outside and they basically sandwiched the RB. But that was one of the more clear cases of it... it happens a lot more in less clear cases where those big guys are successful in what they were asked to do (the dirty work) and fans are complaining that they aren't successful.

But a lot of those big bodies are in FA... so this might be the right time to get away from them some and ask the DL to do more pass rushing and less of the dirty work, and LBers more of the dirty work and less of the rushing.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 9:34:09 AM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I like it a lot better having D Linemen who actually can function on their own.

You seems to like it when all the non-coverage guys have the same role... get to the ball ASAP and don't worry about anything else. You would probably really like Cover 2 and Tampa 2 style then.

I agree with you that it would probably be nice having DL being allowed to be more aggressive... it's easier to read how well the players are doing. Then clogging/protecting and stuff and more exciting... though they'll have to get better against the run.

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 10:00:56 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I think a lot of people are missing the context that the DL have been used differently. The big bodies have been more often been askd to control the OL, not let there be running gaps on the inside and pass rush less. While the smaller guys have been asked to pass rush more, try to control the OL less and running game less. So what they were being asked to do was some what different and so their over all goals aren't the same. Those big guys could of been very successful and most wouldn't noticed as they were being asked to do the dirty works which rarely gets notice.

Example, everyone seems to remember Clay Matthews fumble in the Super Bowl...but how did he get that shot at the RB like that? Pickett pushed the OL backwards and he took away the inside run forcing him to outside and they basically sandwiched the RB. But that was one of the more clear cases of it... it happens a lot more in less clear cases where those big guys are successful in what they were asked to do (the dirty work) and fans are complaining that they aren't successful.

But a lot of those big bodies are in FA... so this might be the right time to get away from them some and ask the DL to do more pass rushing and less of the dirty work, and LBers more of the dirty work and less of the rushing.

The problem with our big guys lately though is they don't get that penetration and cause any disruption. They engage the o-lineman and then stay in 1 place while there are still running gaps to either side of them. They don't disengage and disrupt they play all they do is simply take on the 1 blocker in front of them. I've always liked the phrase "disruption is production". There isn't a stat for simply screwing up the play but it's a great thing to do. I don't necessarily need to see more tackles/sacks from the d-line but I would certainly like to see less standing there hand fighting at or beyond the LOS.

I don't really believe that their job has just been to stand there at the LOS and play patty cake without trying to cause any other disruption. If that's the case then we may as well ditch the base scheme all together.
beast on 2/14/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed