Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 6:05:39 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

Jason Wilde wrote:
GREEN BAY — Aaron Rodgers calls him "The Big Fella."

As in, "Obviously, The Big Fella is a matchup nightmare for most teams." (October, 2013)

As in, "The Big Fella, J-Mike, has had a great off season, a great preseason." (September, 2013)

As in, "The Big Fella has been playing really well." (December, 2012)

You get the idea.

But never has the Green Bay Packers quarterback's moniker for Jermichael Finley been more apropos.

The soon-to-be unrestricted free-agent tight end Tweeted Monday that he's weighing in at 260 pounds with 10 percent body fat. The 6-foot-5 Finley was officially listed at 247 pounds by the Packers last season.

Finley has shown that he can alter his body composition and still be effective. After missing most of the 2010 season with a knee injury, Finley showed up at an offseason workout in the Twin Cities with Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and other NFL players looking noticeably sleeker in spring 2011. He admitted to reporters that he'd shed weight in hopes of improving his speed and quickness — and to get the Packers coaches to use him as more of a receiver than a tight end lining up on the line of scrimmage in a three-point stance.

"I'm thinner right now. GB (is) probably not like me right now but I'm trying to stand up this year. I'm not going to sugarcoat it," Finley said at the time. "I think (lining up in) a two-point (stance), I can get on the linebacker quicker, I can get on the safety quicker and it's a win-win for me and '12.'"

Two years later, when Finley arrived for minicamp last June, he was noticeably heavier, which caught the attention of both coach Mike McCarthy ("Jermichael looks excellent ... He's back where I like to see him, the playing weight that he's playing with, and he's stronger") and tight ends coach Jerry Fontenot.

"I think (for the 2012) season he was a little bit lighter than I would have liked to see him. We kind of went back over some tape of when he was heavier and showed it to him, and kept reiterating some of the things he used to do when he had a little more strength on him and a little more muscle," Fontenot said at the time.

Listed weights aren't always accurate, so it's hard to say exactly how much Finley weighed last season. Nevertheless, he's clearly working hard in hopes of continuing his NFL career after his season-ending bruised spinal cord, which led to single cervical spine fusion surgery and questions about whether he'd be able to keep playing. During Super Bowl week, Finley said in multiple interviews that he expects to be cleared by his doctors soon and plans to resume his NFL career.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 6:38:31 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

God dammit! Now how in the hell are they going to tell Rodgers to go fuck himself and not sign Finley.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 7:15:57 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Will never play again.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 7:17:11 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,049
Applause Received: 1,481

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
God dammit! Now how in the hell are they going to tell Rodgers to go fuck himself and not sign Finley.

The same way Uncle Teddy told "Bart Farve" when he asked the Packers to sign various FAs.
UserPostedImage

Will you follow me, one last time?
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 8:34:21 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Don't think his physical ability to still play will be in doubt, much like it wasn't a physical inability with Collins. Its a matter of if they willing to take the risk with his health. Can he take another hit. What is the difference in injury probability compared to an unfused neck.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 8:49:35 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 458
Applause Received: 276

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Don't think his physical ability to still play will be in doubt, much like it wasn't a physical inability with Collins. Its a matter of if they willing to take the risk with his health. Can he take another hit. What is the difference in injury probability compared to an unfused neck.

Yeah, and that should NOT be a decision of the team or a decision of the damn doctor. If the guy wants to play - Finley and/or Collins, get him to sign the disclaimer so the team can be sued, and get 'em back on the field.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 8:55:52 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, and that should NOT be a decision of the team or a decision of the damn doctor. If the guy wants to play - Finley and/or Collins, get him to sign the disclaimer so the team can be sued, and get 'em back on the field.

That'd be like letting you and Gunny grab a weapon and walk into Afghanistan. Sometimes we don't let stupid is as stupid does. Get it, Dumbass?
UserPostedImage
#8 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 9:35:19 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
That'd be like letting you and Gunny grab a weapon and walk into Afghanistan. Sometimes we don't let stupid is as stupid does. Get it, Dumbass?

Yeah, exactly like that - IF we wanted to go - I wouldn't, but Gunny might just be that gung ho, and I'd respect it if he did. I wouldn't mind at all shooting bad guys - it's just that damn thing about them shooting back that bothers me.

Freedom of Choice - ain't that the mantra of your kind?

BTW, I meant to type "can't be sued", not "can ....".

There you go again, Dakota - shitting in the sand box - bringng in that evil politics stuff hahahahaha.
Offline packerfanoutwest  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:23:21 AM(UTC)
packerfanoutwest

Applause Received: 18

I agree, course it's easy for us to say this as it's not our body. If he does play, I'm sure his style of play will change(not as physical, like Moss?) Now if the OP would comment on his topics.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:39:18 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest Go to Quoted Post
I agree, course it's easy for us to say this as it's not our body. If he does play, I'm sure his style of play will change(not as physical, like Moss?) Now if the OP would comment on his topics.

Precisely - not our body, not the team's body, not the doctor's body.

I'm care more about the possibility of getting Collins back. If Finley had not gotten injured and had gotten re-signed for big money, I think he would have reverted to dropping catches and being less physical running after the catch, and been a big disappointment. I don't know, maybe Aaron Rodgers knows different, but it seemed to me he only shaped up just prior to his contract expiring.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 2/18/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:53:08 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 245
Applause Received: 233

I'm care more about the possibility of getting Collins back. If Finley had not gotten injured and had gotten re-signed for big money, I think he would have reverted to dropping catches and being less physical running after the catch, and been a big disappointment. I don't know, maybe Aaron Rodgers knows different, but it seemed to me he only shaped up just prior to his contract expiring.

Agreed. Ever since the end of the '09 season and the AZ playoff game, we've been waiting for him to become one of, if not the the best TEs in the league (at least as an offensive weapon). All the potential in the world, but something just hasn't clicked with him, injuries, focus, whatever.

I don't wish any thing bad towards him, and I hope he is healthy, can sustain a great career, possibly even with the Packers for a reasonable price...but certainly not at 8mil or anywhere close to that which it sounds like he wants.
Offline sschind  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:27:41 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 422

Whenever someone talks about players with injuries like this they say "have him sign a disclaimer and let him play" Somehow I don't think it is as easy as all that. Even if they sign something saying they understand the risks and they won't hold the team or the doctors or anyone else responsible if the worst happens I don't think it would necessarily relieve certain parties of responsibility. I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV but something tells me there is more involved. Such as waivers don't apply if the injured party can prove negligence on the part of waivee (team in this case) I don't know how they could prove negligence but as the concussion cases go to show it is being tried.

When you send you kids on a school field trip you sign waivers saying you won't hold them responsible if your kid gets hurt at the zoo but if you school allows a drunken chaperon to let your kid crawl into the lions den that is negligent and the waiver may not apply.

In many pet stores you see signs that say "don't put your fingers into animal cages, animals may bite" thinking that the sign will get them off the hook if dip shit gets a finger taken off by a parrot. It doesn't always work. If they can prove you knew the animal could be dangerous (and you did know because you put up the sign) and you didn't take steps to prevent dipshit from sticking his fingers in the cage you might be liable anyway.

Bottom line, a waiver may not protect the team or the doctors and I think that is why you never see it. I'ts not all because they are good and decent people worried about the health of the player (I'm sure some of it is but not all like they try to make it seem.) Believe me if they thought a waiver was foolproof they would be all over it.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 2/18/2014(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:33:50 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Why shouldn't it be a team decision also? The injury results in a higher risk to the player, which is a risk to the team when they will be on the hook for the money in any contract.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:11:47 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Why shouldn't it be a team decision also? The injury results in a higher risk to the player, which is a risk to the team when they will be on the hook for the money in any contract.

If this was MLB, I'd agree - damn that guaranteed money! - look at the Brewers and Rickie Weeks and numerous other cases. But in the NFL, other than bonuses and the current year, the team generally ain't on the hook.

As for Sschind's comment above, that's why I said "get clearance from the lawyers". Not being one, I'm not sure exactly how to word it to protect yourself, but if a sharp lawyer says it's good, probably it's good. A disclaimer generally covers normal activity. I would think the team would somehow have to do something grossly negligent to have a lawsuit override a well written disclaimer.

Bottom line is, if a player is willing to take the risk, and the LAWYER - not the damn doctor - clears him, the team is stupid to be hypercautious.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:54:01 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,956
Applause Received: 2,191

I want Finely back. At an incentive based contract and if multiple doctors state on record he is at no more risk than any other player for neck injury.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed