Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mucky Tundra  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 7:39:29 PM(UTC)
Rob Demovsky said:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Two seasons into his NFL career, former first-round draft pick Nick Perry still hasn't fully shown he can make the transition from collegiate defensive end at USC to NFL outside linebacker with the Green Bay Packers.

He might not have to this year.

Among the ideas the Packers have considered to tweak and improve their defense is to use an elephant defensive end position, and Perry is one of the players who coach Mike McCarthy sees in that role, he said Friday during an interview at his hotel during a break from the NFL scouting combine.
steveishere  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 7:46:32 PM(UTC)
use him like Terrell Suggs, probably a good idea. Though during the first 5 weeks before he broke his foot he looked like a legit power LOLB so I think his main issue isn't position it's just being healthy.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 7:56:59 PM(UTC)
I don't know Steve, he's just a more athletic Aaron Kampmann, but he's no 3-4 OLB. If I'm an Ocoordinator, I make him go in coverage all day long. Square peg trying to fit a round hole. We have better personnel to run a 4-3, but we have stubborn coaches. Bellicheck never has any problem flip flopping or playing a hybrid, but we sure do.
steveishere  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 8:38:15 PM(UTC)
You cannot just make someone go in coverage. If that were possible then coordinators would just make CM3 "go in coverage all day long" and not have to worry about him pass rushing. Perry played in 12 games this year and was only in coverage for 30 snaps. Getting to the QB and holding up in the run are what matters and he's shown enough in those areas as a LB to say he can be fine there as long as he's healthy. For as bad as Perry was in coverage he was only thrown at 5 times (allowed 5 receptions). It's such a small piece of the pie that using that as a judge to whether someone can play the position or not seems silly.
Laser Gunns  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 2:43:44 AM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't know Steve, he's just a more athletic Aaron Kampmann, but he's no 3-4 OLB. If I'm an Ocoordinator, I make him go in coverage all day long. Square peg trying to fit a round hole. We have better personnel to run a 4-3, but we have stubborn coaches. Bellicheck never has any problem flip flopping or playing a hybrid, but we sure do.

slow to adapt is a common theme with this staff.
play2win  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:33:11 PM(UTC)
Good. Maybe this means we actually will add a real OLB talent opposite Matthews.
play2win  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:34:00 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns said: Go to Quoted Post
slow to adapt is a common theme with this staff.

Brilliant. Well done LG! [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] =d> =d> =d> =d>
steveishere  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:04:46 PM(UTC)
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
Good. Maybe this means we actually will add a real OLB talent opposite Matthews.

You aren't going to have an "elephant" and 2 OLBs, you'd still have your OLB (Matthews) and then your elephant (Perry). Also from what it sounds like this isn't going to be some new base defense or anything it sounds more like just a wrinkle in the scheme. It doesn't really make all that much sense actually because I believe typically an elephant is a DE in the 4-3 that stands up some of the time. I guess in this case it just means a 3-4 OLB that will have his hand in the dirt some of the time.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:10:18 PM(UTC)
When we're in dime, don't we basically have a four man front anyway? What the hell difference does it make if a guy rushes from a standup position or a hand in the dirt?
beast  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:20:47 PM(UTC)

From what I'm reading it sounds like same position just new role at that position.

I wonder what would be different in the new role, and how a new role would effect others.
nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:37:54 PM(UTC)
It's no secret that Perry and Neal are DL playing OLB. OCs all over the league know it. Might as well admit it and start using them that way. We're not fooling anyone.
play2win  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 7:09:29 AM(UTC)
This just makes me wonder if they are going to re-sign Mike Neal. Coaching Perry up as the hybrid rover off the edge might mean the end here in GB for Neal. Trouble is, will Perry stay healthy? A position change/shift means very little if you are not available.
Rss Feed