Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RaiderPride  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 7:05:41 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 112
Applause Received: 202

NINE years is a long time to be the on field leader and head coach of any NFL Team. Regardless. Mike has done his job, brought the Lombardi back to Lombardi.

He is a hero, and will go into the Packers hall of fame. I am a huge fan. However I also am a huge fan of taking a risk.

I love what Mike has accomplished... However, sometimes an opportunity is out there in front of you that Might Just be Worth The Risk.

How about McCarthy to 49ers for Harbaugh and a first round pick and two thirds?

HEY.. HARBAUGH IS AVAILABLE. (Read the NFL trade news.)

Sure he is a bitcher.. But he would look good bitching on the sidelines in Green Bay.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 7:16:37 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

The only coach I'd want to replace McCarthy is the guy we should have hired instead of McCarthy: Sean Payton. I think Payton and Rodgers would be unstoppable together.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 2/25/2014(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 7:45:38 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

F Harbaugh. He's a good coach and all on the field but it seems they also have really good coordinators in SF and a GM that has built a pretty stacked team yet Harbaugh has created what looks like a pretty toxic environment. That's a good team but I don't have much confidence in them being able to overcome much adversity should it strike. If that team happens to lose a few games in a row it'll probably collapse. Guy comes off as a complete lunatic, no thanks. McCarthy isn't the greatest ever but he's still a top coach and he's consistent and this team pretty much always has a good environment no matter what happens.
musccy on 2/25/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 8:55:42 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,622
Applause Received: 651

Make a play for the athletic trainer at Stanford.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 9:16:25 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,020
Applause Received: 1,461

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 9:47:57 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 449
Applause Received: 270

I'd take McCarthy over Harbaugh in a straight up deal, but no coach makes a significant enough difference to be worth a first and two third round picks.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
musccy on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:14:49 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 600
Applause Received: 271

It would be stomach churning to have Harbaugh on the Packers sidelines.
Like Steve says, he comes off as a lunatic.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:20:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,173

I do not like Jim Harbaugh at all. John Harbaugh, sure. Jim, no.

Also, if a coach brings your team to three straight NFC title games, one super bowl in his three years of coaching and he's "available", there's good reason for his availability. Packers don't need that.

Packers need to stay healthy and get a new OL coach and suddenly the coaching staff is one of the top five in the NFL.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan on 2/25/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:20:53 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 232

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

Also, if a coach brings your team to three straight NFC title games, one super bowl in his three years of coaching and he's "available", there's good reason for his availability. Packers don't need that.

Exactly. I was listening to ESPN last night and although they didn't go in on the specifics, they said Harbaugh is certainly rocking the boat there in addition to demanding a pretty big extension. He seems like way more of a headache than he's worth.
nerdmann on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:44:03 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,020
Applause Received: 1,461

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I do not like Jim Harbaugh at all. John Harbaugh, sure. Jim, no.

Packers need to stay healthy and get a new OL coach and suddenly the coaching staff is one of the top five in the NFL.

So what you are saying is Jimbo is not Packer People.

UserPostedImage

#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:02:26 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Coaches are MADE by the players they coach. I have a high opinion of Mike McCarthy, but ask yourself where he would be without Aaron Rodgers. I don't like Harbaugh for the same reasons others have stated, but where would he be if Kaepernick didn't fall from the sky and the Niners didn't hit it big with a couple of LBs?

The era of Vince Lombardi type coaches that bring out stuff in players that others can't, that's long gone. You might say what about scheming/innovating/whatever? Anything anybody comes up with that really works good is very quickly adopted in one form or another by just about everybody - both offense and defense.
Offline musccy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:01:40 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 232

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Coaches are MADE by the players they coach. I have a high opinion of Mike McCarthy, but ask yourself where he would be without Aaron Rodgers. I don't like Harbaugh for the same reasons others have stated, but where would he be if Kaepernick didn't fall from the sky and the Niners didn't hit it big with a couple of LBs?

But that's true of everyone. You can't make chicken salad out of ---. What coach was going to make Cleveland into a playoff team with Richardson traded, and Weeden and Campbell at QB?

There is something to be said for controlling egos, keeping teams consistent, and managing talent. We've seen A.R. blow up on the sidelines but from all other appearances M.M. had A.R. buy into what he sells. I am a coach now and trust me, one of the biggest challenges is keeping my top athletes humble, grounded, and compliant. He's maintained a good locker room and a consistently successful team. I'm not a huge Harbaugh fan, but he did turn that team around overnight after Singletary was let go. We saw the difference Payton made for N.O. this year.

You just said you have a high opinion of Mike, so to some extent I'm preaching to the choir, I'm just saying that even with a great QB or top talent, it's not as easy as it seems. Ask Jim Schwartz.
DoddPower on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:28:24 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,622
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post

The era of Vince Lombardi type coaches that bring out stuff in players that others can't, that's long gone. You might say what about scheming/innovating/whatever? Anything anybody comes up with that really works good is very quickly adopted in one form or another by just about everybody - both offense and defense.

Aaron would be Alex Smith. if Mike hadn't been brought aboard to develop him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:25:07 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

You REALLY think that? I say bullshit. A former TE magically coaching up an already polished QB to be the world's greatest? I don't think so.

Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:42:53 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

Doubt it. Alex Smith doesn't have any confidence making a tough throw. He doesn't have the balls to make a throw into tight coverage or down field often. Rodgers has been making those throws since Butte and that's the largest difference between the two and it's a mentality thing not a coaching thing.
Rss Feed