Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:00:37 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I believe Byrd could cure A LOT of our woes in our secondary. He is a pure Free Safety, and a complete ball hawk. He would instantly make Green Bay a better team.

Signing Byrd now would give this secondary a solid veteran leader with huge upside, and would go a very long way towards making our defense a strength once again, vs. a liability. Signing Byrd now could also allow for the Packers to pick the best DL and LBs available in the early rounds of May's draft.

The impact of signing Jairus Byrd in Green Bay would be enormous. Plus, the Bears are also in the market for his services. I would rather Ted drops whatever it takes to land this kid, and instantly improve our overall team. Hell, give him the Woodsonesque $11M if that's what it takes. The balance of a fierce offense coupled with a stout defense is what we need to be true contenders again. Signing Byrd now would immediately turn the tables back in our favor. We have been needing an impact signing at the Safety position for 3 years. Now is the time. Sign him Ted, please!!!!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:18:43 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 1,376

Play, we got Shields signed, let's not get too greedy here. Besides, if we're going to sodomize Bears, let's steal Bennett from under them.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:25:28 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Jairus Byrd would be a huge addition. If only it were so. I can't imagine Uncle Teddy making an under valued offer little alone a real one.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline musccy  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:37:20 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

The Browns, Eagles, and Bills all want Byrd/Ward and I can only assume that there are at least a half dozen more who will be talking to both of them. The likelihood that either would be signed at a fair/reasonable price I suspect is very low.

I don't think Ted would, nor do I personally want him to get into the habit of spending recklessly. It's not good for the long term stability of a franchise.
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 6:48:53 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

I think sometimes you guys think 1st ballot hall of fame quarterbacks are just falling out of trees. Wasn't squandering Favre's career enough. I'd say the time is now to spend like Jerruh and Danny. Load this team up and get some more trophies.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 5 applause.
wpr on 3/10/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 3/10/2014(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 3/10/2014(UTC), play2win on 3/10/2014(UTC), rabidgopher04 on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 7:15:40 AM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I think sometimes you guys think 1st ballot hall of fame quarterbacks are just falling out of trees. Wasn't squandering Favre's career enough. I'd say the time is now to spend like Jerruh and Danny. Load this team up and get some more trophies.

I said more or less the same thing in the Shields thread. Last year the Packers had roughly 40% of their cap space tied up in 4 players, and with the exception of Tramon, 3 of those players saw the field for less than half of the season (Finley, ARod, CM3). It's going to be the same this year with the Shields signing so if you shell out big bucks to Byrd, Ward, etc. as well, they better stay healthy and not pull an Albert Haynesworth, Joe Johnson, or Sydney Rice.

Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 7:59:54 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I said more or less the same thing in the Shields thread. Last year the Packers had roughly 40% of their cap space tied up in 4 players, and with the exception of Tramon, 3 of those players saw the field for less than half of the season (Finley, ARod, CM3). It's going to be the same this year with the Shields signing so if you shell out big bucks to Byrd, Ward, etc. as well, they better stay healthy and not pull an Albert Haynesworth, Joe Johnson, or Sydney Rice.

If Rodgers goes down, we're pretty much hosed anyway. The rest of those guys, we can win without them. I do think Clay Matthews is way over-payed, when taking into consideration all the time he's injured with his muscle milk hamstring problems. Last year's hand injury was a fluky thing.
UserPostedImage
dhazer on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 8:02:51 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,715
Applause Received: 667

Isn't that exactly what Sherman did to piss Favre's career away?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 8:03:45 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

If Rodgers goes down, we're pretty much hosed anyway. The rest of those guys, we can win without them. I do think Clay Matthews is way over-payed, when taking into consideration all the time he's injured with his muscle milk hamstring problems. Last year's hand injury was a fluky thing.

I'm not convinced we're hosed of Rodgers goes down. He went down this past season, and what killed us was the DEFENSE.

We're not bringing Seneca back dude. LOL
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 8:07:02 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I'm not convinced we're hosed of Rodgers goes down. He went down this past season, and what killed us was the DEFENSE.

We're not bringing Seneca back dude. LOL

Yes! Bring me some Marquand Manuel, or Mark Roman or even Joe Johnson!!
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 8:13:46 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

byrd already turned down a contract offer that would have made him the highest paid safety in the league
call me Dan
Offline yooperfan  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 9:37:58 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 295

I'm with you.
The time is now!
Git er done Ted!

texaspackerbacker on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 9:59:47 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

I'm not sure simply spending like Jerry and Danny would be the answer unless Ted is spending a lot smarter but yeah, I agree. Getting Byrd with Shields back in the flock (see what I did there? Byrd, flock...get it...Ok, never mind) I think our secondary maybe becomes top 10 maybe higher, I don't know but definitely much better.

He won't be cheap but we still have the room to do it. I don't think we will but if we wanted to we could swing it.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
yooperfan on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Online texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 10:27:29 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 483
Applause Received: 294

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure simply spending like Jerry and Danny would be the answer unless Ted is spending a lot smarter but yeah, I agree. Getting Byrd with Shields back in the flock (see what I did there? Byrd, flock...get it...Ok, never mind) I think our secondary maybe becomes top 10 maybe higher, I don't know but definitely much better.

He won't be cheap but we still have the room to do it. I don't think we will but if we wanted to we could swing it.

True on all counts. Even without getting very creative with the cap, we could easily do it. I, too, would be surprised if Ted stepped up and actually made it happen, but who knows.

"Loading up this team"/"Not frittering away the Rodgers years" would be as simple as solving the Safety problem, upgrading ILB, and maybe getting another pass rusher, but the only one of those that is absolutely essential is Safety. Drafting there or switching one of our Corners would be less of a sure thing and take longer to have success. So make a serious effort to get Byrd or Ward. It's a no brainer.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
yooperfan on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 11:09:52 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 96
Applause Received: 161

Dear Ted,
Please don't.
Offline sschind  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:06:22 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Dear Ted,
Please don't.

Why not? Is it just because he wants so much money? Having enough money to get him is not the problem. We could if we wanted to and it wouldn't even really put us in a bind.

Is it because he is not good enough because he is probably the surest, quickest fix. Drafted D-backs usually don't shine right away.

Is it because FAs tend to not live up to their hype? Yeah, a lot of them don't but sometimes you have to say what the hell and go for it. We need a safety and if we got Byrd our secondary would improve dramatically.

Resign Shields get Byrd, sign a mid tier FA LB and draft a D-lineman (Louis Nix) and that right there goes a long way toward fixing our problems. Even if Byrd takes too much money to sign the mid tier LB then you draft one. either way its a major improvement with just 4 moves.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
wpr on 3/10/2014(UTC), DakotaT on 3/10/2014(UTC), play2win on 3/11/2014(UTC)
Offline dhazer  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:48:31 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 204

Play, we got Shields signed, let's not get too greedy here. Besides, if we're going to sodomize Bears, let's steal Bennett from under them.

We can't steal Bennett :(

Updating a previous report, the Seattle Seahawks have signed DE Michael Bennett to a four-year deal worth $28.5 million. The deal includes $16 million in guaranteed money. Bennett is scheduled to make $10 million in 2014, $16 million over the first two years of the contract and $21 million in the first three years.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline dhazer  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:53:34 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 50
Applause Received: 204

Free-agent S Jairus Byrd (Bills) is seeking $9 million per season.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline porky88  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 1:57:58 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 409

I think the Packers need a safety, but I don't see how $10 million works into their long-term budget. I'd prefer for Green Bay to take $10 million and sign two players. A combination of Lamarr Houston and Antoine Bethea would help the team more than just Jairus Byrd.

This team isn’t just a safety away from fixing their defense. They need to retool at every level. You can’t do that with just Byrd unless you start hitting on your draft picks as if it’s the late 2000s again.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Wade on 3/10/2014(UTC), musccy on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 2:24:17 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 358

Just paid Morgan. Ain't happening.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline Wade  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 2:30:00 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

If the Packers fix one glaring problem in free agency, that's one less problem they have to solve by draft-and-develop.

Not counting the OL (where everyone is tired of my opinion anyway), I see five starter positions of substantial need right now. In no particular order, these are:

Safety
Inside linebacker
Nose tackle
Tight end
Defensive end

Do people seriously think this draft is so deep that all of these can be taken care of through the draft or "re-signing Packer FAs"? TE, maybe can be done by re-signing Finley and/or Quarless (though I'd be fairly surprised at either happening) and still I'm a big fan of letting Lattimore seriously compete at ILB.

But IMO there is no way the Packers get their problems solved in one year's draft, no matter how "deep" it is.

Yes, there's always the possibility that a big name like Byrd will end up like Joe Johnson, rather than ending up like Reggie White, Ryan Pickett, or Charles Woodson.

But, IMO, right now the non-OL part of the team has between three and five starters who are not much better contributors than Joe Johnson ended up being. And if no one from other teams is signed via FA or trade, the non-OL parts of the team will enter the 2014 season with at least two starters making Joe Johnson-quality contributions.

Even if no one gets hurt this year.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win on 3/11/2014(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#22 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:03:04 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 96
Applause Received: 161

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Why not? Is it just because he wants so much money? Having enough money to get him is not the problem. We could if we wanted to and it wouldn't even really put us in a bind.

Is it because he is not good enough because he is probably the surest, quickest fix. Drafted D-backs usually don't shine right away.

Is it because FAs tend to not live up to their hype? Yeah, a lot of them don't but sometimes you have to say what the hell and go for it. We need a safety and if we got Byrd our secondary would improve dramatically.

Resign Shields get Byrd, sign a mid tier FA LB and draft a D-lineman (Louis Nix) and that right there goes a long way toward fixing our problems. Even if Byrd takes too much money to sign the mid tier LB then you draft one. either way its a major improvement with just 4 moves.

All of the above.

Signing Byrd would put both safeties in the top 10 on the Packers salary roll. Is safety that important that you dedicate that much to 2 of your players? Conventional wisdom says 'No'. Would it put us in a bind today? No. Is signing Byrd to big money more important than Jordy extension, Bulaga extension (maybe), EDS or a TE? I don't think so. My opinion.

The Second most expensive position in the NFL is typically OT. The Packers do not have one in their top 10. That will change soon. Would you rather protect ARod or go cheap and double up on S? Keeping ARod upright is probably our best Defensive strategy!

If you just look at the numbers:
Byrd 2013- 48 tackles, 1 Sack, 4 Int, 6 PasDef
Jennings 2013- 74 Tackles, 1 Sack, 0 Int, 1 PasDef
Burnett 2013- 96 Tackles, 0 sack, 0 Int, 6 PasDef
The last 3 years, Byrd's tackles have gone from 98-76-48. Now, it's not like Buffalo has become a Defensive powerhouse and didn't need him. Buffalo was the #28 Rushing Defense. Is he scared to get hurt and lose the big contract? Do we need another player in the Backfield that doesn't tackle? I am not advocating our S were good. Just let's be careful what we wish for.

I see signing Byrd like drafting a Punter in the 1st round. Not worth the money. But it's just my opinion.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
musccy on 3/10/2014(UTC), Zero2Cool on 3/10/2014(UTC)
Online Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:24:48 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,969
Applause Received: 2,231

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I see signing Byrd like drafting a Punter in the 1st round. Not worth the money. But it's just my opinion.

Good stuff, but the portion I cropped out I have say if it's the Packers drafting in the 1st round, I'd rather it be a damn punter because they have to be on the low end of the salary.

I'm still bitter over the crap 1st round luck Packers seem to have.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan on 3/11/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#24 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 4:33:38 PM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
If the Packers fix one glaring problem in free agency, that's one less problem they have to solve by draft-and-develop.

Not counting the OL (where everyone is tired of my opinion anyway), I see five starter positions of substantial need right now. In no particular order, these are:

Safety
Inside linebacker
Nose tackle
Tight end
Defensive end

But IMO there is no way the Packers get their problems solved in one year's draft, no matter how "deep" it is

S - upgrade, but two of the "top" safeties in the draft are projected around the 21st pick
ILB - agreed, upgrade needed
TE - you touched on, this may not be a position of need if we restock from within
DL - Texaspf and I may be the only ones that feel this way, but I actually don't think the Packers are in that bad of shape on the DL. I actually still have a slight glimmer of hope that Raji can not be useless, many see the potential in Daniels, and out of Boyd, Worthy, DJones, you have a core that I feel you can build from.

Just my opinion, but I only see two glaring needs for immediate upgrade, and a few more positions where only moderate upgrade is needed (DL, WR if Jones leaves).
Offline nerdmann  
#25 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 5:14:37 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
S - upgrade, but two of the "top" safeties in the draft are projected around the 21st pick
ILB - agreed, upgrade needed
TE - you touched on, this may not be a position of need if we restock from within
DL - Texaspf and I may be the only ones that feel this way, but I actually don't think the Packers are in that bad of shape on the DL. I actually still have a slight glimmer of hope that Raji can not be useless, many see the potential in Daniels, and out of Boyd, Worthy, DJones, you have a core that I feel you can build from.

Just my opinion, but I only see two glaring needs for immediate upgrade, and a few more positions where only moderate upgrade is needed (DL, WR if Jones leaves).

ILB-Barrington could take a step up. If he shows he can cover, then he could be the answer.
TE-Bostick has potential as a passcatching type dude. I'd like to see what Stoneburner can do too. Quarless is who he is and may leave.
DL-I'd like to see them make some moves here.
Rss Feed