Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dan.prouty  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:17:27 AM(UTC)
dan.prouty

Applause Received: 1

Please do not do anything differently from the past. Hold players accountable, and use a next man up scheme to keep the Packers at the top of the NFCN, and be a challenging team in the playoffs.

You all play too much madden, thinking you can just sign a player and plug them in. I would much rather have guys who have been developed in Green Bay.

Just my opinion. As I read today, Charles Woodson (best FA pick up) was not signed until 2 days before the draft. (source)
Offline buckfan1956  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:41:34 AM(UTC)
buckfan1956

United States

Applause Given: 2

I agree Dan,

Seems every year there are reports of The Packers showing interest in certain top FA's who hit the market, the fans get their hopes up only to be dissapointed in the end that Ted sticks to his guns.

I guess signing Sam Shields was Teds big splash this year, just so happens Sam was The Packers FA, not another teams. I also believe The Browns forced Ted's hand, he wasn't going to let Sam get away, in the end he probably spent a little more than he wanted, hopefully it is money well spent.

Teds FA time is coming, will be interesting to see just which Packer FA's he decides to bring back.

Then when all the "big" money has been spent, he will look around and see if there is anybody left who was expecting a big pay day, only to be dissapointed in the fact that they overvalued themselves.

Woodson is a good example, nobody wanted him, he came to Green Bay, got off to a rocky start but in the end, Ted looked like a genius.

Will there be a "Woodson" in this years Fa?, I guess the answer to that question will come in about 2 weeks.
Offline El3ment12  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:44:40 AM(UTC)
El3ment12

Applause Given: 32
Applause Received: 24

I still can't believe Woodson went from almost nobody wanting him, to being defensive player of the year.
Online PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:00:04 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

While draft and develop is a nice way to build a team, it cannot be the only means. 22 starters between offense and defense. A team is really good/lucky to consistently pull 3 starters a year from the draft and UFA each year. That would take 7 years and by that time the team is losing players to FA and age already.

At some point FA must be used.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 4 applause.
DoddPower on 3/12/2014(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 3/12/2014(UTC), wpr on 3/12/2014(UTC), dfosterf on 3/12/2014(UTC)
Offline buckfan1956  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:14:25 AM(UTC)
buckfan1956

United States

Applause Given: 2

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
While draft and develop is a nice way to build a team, it cannot be the only means. 22 starters between offense and defense. A team is really good/lucky to consistently pull 3 starters a year from the draft and UFA each year. That would take 7 years and by that time the team is losing players to FA and age already.

That's a good point.

Seems Ted will resign his guys that have proven to him they are worth a 2nd or 3rd contract before going outside the organization.

Shields is back, Lattimore is tendered.

There's 15 other Packer UFA's to sort through.

The fact that hardly any were mentioned in the 1st day probably means Ted's wait and see attitude is going to save the organizations some money.

Sure hopes he brings back EDS next then works on Jolly, Pickett and Raji(2 of the 3), let's not forget about Flynn, Quarless and Neal, and if there is money left over I would love to see James Jones and James Starks back.

Then there is the task of extending Jordy and Randall Cobb.

Just my opinion, but it seems that other teams UFA's are overvalued by the fans while The Packers UFA's are undervalued.

Only day 2 of Free Agency still time for Ted to surprise everyone with an outside signing.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:29:31 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,177

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post

Tramon Williams was a free agent signing.
Sam Shields was a free agent signing.

UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:03:21 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 509

It's totally fine to only use free agency for 3rd tier guys and undrafted free agency. But to do that, a team must draft very well, pretty much every season. The Packers have not drafted well enough to past few years to stick to a strict draft and develop philosophy, imo. Also, injuries have really hurt them. In extenuating circumstances such as several average at best players drafted and continued injuries, it's important to be flexible enough to use different techniques to address some weaknesses. I haven't seen much evidence that Ted Thompson exhibits that flexibility, and I think that's a mistake.

As I said in another thread, if the Packers utilize the same strategy they almost always do, they will still be a good team. They will make the playoffs and might even win a game. But I just can't see them going further than that. I just don't think rookies and a couple third tier free agents and undrafted free agents will be enough for the Packers to overcome their weaknesses and injuries that will inevitably occur. The team will remain competitive, but I feel like they will keep falling short. If for some reason the Packers actually stay healthy, Ted Thompson hits a grand slam in this years draft, and several young players take a giant leap, the Packers could take that proverbial next step, but all of that just seems like a much bigger gamble than overpaying a player or two a few million dollars. Let's hope the stars align, though.

Even if Ted Thompson doesn't gamble with overpaying free agents, he is certainly a big gambler. He puts a ton of faith in 20-24 years olds. I'm not sure I could take that same bet year after year. The Packers need to somehow pull a couple more Eddie Lacy's and Clay Mathews' out of their pocket in the draft this year.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
sschind on 3/12/2014(UTC), Wade on 3/12/2014(UTC), dfosterf on 3/12/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:04:39 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 449
Applause Received: 271

There's no denying, Ted has done a good job in the sense that he has kept the Packers near the top throughout his tenure. There's also no denying, that the Packers would be a mediocre team at best if not for the LUCK of having Aaron Rodgers - at the time, 50/50 with Alex Smith to be the #1 overall pick - fall to him at #21.

Bottom line: as good as the situation is, it could be a LOT better if Ted was just a little less cautious. You don't have to go hog wild into free agency (beyond just UDFAs), but participating about maybe double what he does, would make this Rodgers-era team indisputably the best.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline The_Green_Ninja  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:41:05 AM(UTC)
The_Green_Ninja

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 27

I think this comes down to do we shoot for a 3-4 year window with a really, really strong team or an 8+ window with a good, not the best, but good possibly great young team?
UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:54:43 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 509

Originally Posted by: The_Green_Ninja Go to Quoted Post
I think this comes down to do we shoot for a 3-4 year window with a really, really strong team or an 8+ window with a good, not the best, but good possibly great young team?

In my opinion, the team still has to draft better and have better luck with the injuries for the"good possibly great young team" option to come to fruition given your second option. Otherwise, it will likely just be a good team. Signing a few moderate free agents every few years isn't going to knock a team out of any window, either. In fact, it could do the exact opposite. Most of that is going to depend on having an elite QB, which the Packers currently have, but there's no guarantee for how long.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 3/12/2014(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:21:24 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 151
Applause Received: 245

This year, more than in the past...I see Packers fans getting more upset about Ted not making any moves in free agency. Clearly, its because we have all witnessed how poor this defense has played the past couple of seasons coupled with the cap increase and the Packers having $33 million available. While we have plenty of our own players to sign (still yet to happen aside from Shields and it will happen with a few others) I thought it was important that Ted and Co. at least go out and grab one *star* player, preferably at safety, to shape this defense up.

...that was until I saw how ridiculous some of these contracts were. Ted doesn't play this game and as a fan, I am happy he doesn't. Some of these teams are strapping themselves down (in the future) because of 1-2 players. Saints signed Byrd to a contract for 6 years and while this year might not have an affect, the upcoming years certainly will.

The only contract that has made me slightly upset so far is the TJ Ward/Broncos contract. Imo, that would have been an absolute steal and helped the Packers immensely at the safety position. 4 years/$23 million, $14 million guaranteed. Maybe the guaranteed money is a bit high but sometimes you have to make that move for a player like that, at that price (compared to what other players are getting). He's young, injury free and can play the position well.

I do agree though with the OP. I like that Ted is sticking to his guns and especially since this is one of the deepest drafts in awhile. There's a good chance we are able to re-sign some of our guys for a little cheaper than they used to be and pick up a couple of day 1 starters in the draft in rounds 1-3.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
cheeseheads123 on 3/12/2014(UTC), QCHuskerFan on 3/12/2014(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 3/12/2014(UTC)
Offline cheeseheads123  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:08:34 AM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 69
Applause Received: 114

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
This year, more than in the past...I see Packers fans getting more upset about Ted not making any moves in free agency. Clearly, its because we have all witnessed how poor this defense has played the past couple of seasons coupled with the cap increase and the Packers having $33 million available. While we have plenty of our own players to sign (still yet to happen aside from Shields and it will happen with a few others) I thought it was important that Ted and Co. at least go out and grab one *star* player, preferably at safety, to shape this defense up.

...that was until I saw how ridiculous some of these contracts were. Ted doesn't play this game and as a fan, I am happy he doesn't. Some of these teams are strapping themselves down (in the future) because of 1-2 players. Saints signed Byrd to a contract for 6 years and while this year might not have an affect, the upcoming years certainly will.

The only contract that has made me slightly upset so far is the TJ Ward/Broncos contract. Imo, that would have been an absolute steal and helped the Packers immensely at the safety position. 4 years/$23 million, $14 million guaranteed. Maybe the guaranteed money is a bit high but sometimes you have to make that move for a player like that, at that price (compared to what other players are getting). He's young, injury free and can play the position well.

I do agree though with the OP. I like that Ted is sticking to his guns and especially since this is one of the deepest drafts in awhile. There's a good chance we are able to re-sign some of our guys for a little cheaper than they used to be and pick up a couple of day 1 starters in the draft in rounds 1-3.

I couldn't agree more.

The only two that were upsetting for me were the TJ Ward and Stevie Brown contracts.
UserPostedImage
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:13:22 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 84
Applause Received: 149

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post

I agree. And you would think we would have learned something from last year. Bad running game. Everyone screaming about Stephen Jackson. Ted Thompson doesn't budge. Drafts Lacy. Becomes OROY. Running game solved. Fans happy. Just another day for TT.

Now, bad defense. (Not the first year for that though). Fans clamoring to sign old, injured, expensive Free Agents. Ted Thompson doesn't budge. Man, I am excited for the draft!!!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
cheeseheads123 on 3/12/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:27:19 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 449
Applause Received: 271

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I agree. And you would think we would have learned something from last year. Bad running game. Everyone screaming about Stephen Jackson. Ted Thompson doesn't budge. Drafts Lacy. Becomes OROY. Running game solved. Fans happy. Just another day for TT.

Now, bad defense. (Not the first year for that though). Fans clamoring to sign old, injured, expensive Free Agents. Ted Thompson doesn't budge. Man, I am excited for the draft!!!

Linebacker - Inside especially, Outside secondarily, yeah, I agree, but Safety, no. A proven veteran is what we need. Neither Ward - gone now - nor Byrd are chronic injury problems. Drafting a Safety and starting him would help down the road if the guy was good, but for this year, we need to fill that hole with an experienced but still talented veteran.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:29:01 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

I've never been a huge fan of the megadeal free agency. I won't complain over some starter level competition signings though at reasonable prices. I think you have to rely on the draft to get your playmakers and such. If we just had some good health for once everything would be fine lol.
Rss Feed