I'm not sure I'd make him into Brad Jones II (since he has, IMO, shown bigger flashes than Jones ever did). But, on the other hand, I'm not sure he's shown anywhere near enough flashes to justify excitement. He's a guy. Good backup quality I suppose. Not someone worth betting a "potential grow into high quality starter" pot on.
They need more than Mike Neal signings if they really want to improve the D above mediocrity. All they've done with the Neal signing (and, for that matter any signing of defense players that doesn't go beyond last year's roster) is demonstrate that they're not willing to get any worse than they were last year.
Here are the FA's left, who do you want?
Who on this list is going to make The Packers better?
The 2nd day of FA isn't over yet.
Everyone pretty much knew Ted wasn't going to sign anyone day 1.
(Sam Shields but I guess he doesn't count) ?
(Mike Neal day 2 again he doesn't count) ?
Can we be a little patient?
The longer these guys stay unsigned the cheaper they will come.
FYI, I have no problem bringing Raji back at 4 mil for 1 year, he either gets his shit together or he will be gone, but looking at the list, not much improvement can be made.
Jolly and Pickett both will be more valuable as proven vets.
Pickett isn't what he used to be, but rotate him with Jolly instead of playing them side by side with one of them playing out of position is a real probable option.
The days of the Datone Jones's and Josh Boyd's is here, but it's always good to have those proven vets to make the transition a little smoother.
16. Vikings defensive end Jared Allen.
18. Giants defensive end Justin Tuck.
24. Packers defensive end B.J. Raji.
40. Bears defensive end Corey Wootton.
51. Texans defensive end Antonio Smith.
64. Steelers defensive end Ziggy Hood.
77. Broncos defensive end Robert Ayers.
88. Lions defensive end Willie Young.
29. Dolphins defensive tackle Randy Starks.
32. Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton.
36. Cowboys defensive tackle Jason Hatcher.
80. Seahawks defensive tackle Clinton McDonald.
84. Texans defensive tackle Earl Mitchell.
93. Raiders defensive tackle Pat Sims.
96. Seahawks defensive tackle Tony McDaniel.
98. Chargers defensive tackle Cam Thomas.