Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:37:04 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

I look at Free Agency by looking down the road and asking. If we spend on a player today, who will we not be able to sign next year of the year after. When I look at the team today, the answer I come up with is Nobody. There are none of our current players who justify a contract to use up that space. Which means we have the money available today to sign a free agent or two that fill needs with front loaded contracts that will leave the team in no worse shape down the road while giving us a better chance now also.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
yooperfan on 3/12/2014(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 3/13/2014(UTC), Wade on 3/13/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:09:54 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 423

For this year

EDS or FA this year, still need a Center.
Pickett, Raji , Jolly or a couple of FA Tackles this year.
Matt Flynn or viable FA back up QB

Next year UFA's as of today.

I'll let you decide who isn't worth brining back, so Ted can sign a couple of 1st day "Big money UFA's from other teams.

JMHO, but I would lock up Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Bulaga, Barclay and Williams before FA starts next year.

Or The Packers can just gamble on a couple of 1st day FA's, rookies and Undrafted Fa's to get them to another Superbowl.

Jordy Nelson

Randall Cobb

Jarret Boykin

Bryan Bulaga

Derrick Sherrard

Don Barclay

Jamari lattimore

Tramon Williams

Jarret Bush

Sean Richardson

Chris banjo
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:14:26 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 239

Ted

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:21:34 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
For this year

EDS or FA this year, still need a Center.
Pickett, Raji , Jolly or a couple of FA Tackles this year.
Matt Flynn or viable FA back up QB

Next year UFA's as of today.

I'll let you decide who isn't worth brining back, so Ted can sign a couple of 1st day "Big money UFA's from other teams.

JMHO, but I would lock up Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Bulaga, Barclay and Williams before FA starts next year.

Or The Packers can just gamble on a couple of 1st day FA's, rookies and Undrafted Fa's to get them to another Superbowl.

Jordy Nelson

Randall Cobb

Jarret Boykin

Bryan Bulaga

Derrick Sherrard

Don Barclay

Jamari lattimore

Tramon Williams

Jarret Bush

Sean Richardson

Chris banjo

Did I say First Day or Big Money?

None of EDS, Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Flynn are worth the amount of money it would take to use up our cap space. If we use current cap space to do future FA contract ahead of time, are we ever going to use the future space we create or are we going to continue year after year to just push the space down the road?
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 3/12/2014(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:35:26 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Did I say First Day or Big Money?

None of EDS, Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Flynn are worth the amount of money it would take to use up our cap space. If we use current cap space to do future FA contract ahead of time, are we ever going to use the future space we create or are we going to continue year after year to just push the space down the road?

Did I not put either/or in front of those 1st 4.

Free Agency is only 2 days old, I sure hope Ted is either going to resign his guys or go outside the organization to fill the whole created by them leaving.

There's still plenty of good talent available, but Ted has proven he is not going to overspend one year and get caught short the next.

BTW Just heard Eric Decker just signed with The Jets, the one team rumored to be interested in James Jones, so I should probably add James's name to this years signings.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:41:22 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 209
Applause Received: 351

Raiders have large cap room and made no signings. In fact, they let arguably their best players go. Connection. Reggie who used to work for Ted runs things over there now.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:46:23 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
Raiders have large cap room and made no signings. In fact, they let arguably their best players go. Connection. Reggie who used to work for Ted runs things over there now.

They did make one signing, not sure who, heard it on the radio, signed the guy to a 42 mil contract but he failed his physical so the contract was voided.
Offline yooperfan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:18:01 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 578
Applause Received: 265

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
They did make one signing, not sure who, heard it on the radio, signed the guy to a 42 mil contract but he failed his physical so the contract was voided.

I heard that report too.
Can't remember who it was though.

Offline Bigbyfan  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:43:07 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 78

Obviously, I think the Packers focus should be on defensive line FA. I wanted the Packers to sign some defensive linemen like Randy Starks, Arthur Jones, or Lamar Houston. However all those guys have been signed. I think some wildcard, cheaper options are still available such as Justin Tuck (former DT), Antonio Smith (played in a 3-4 with Houston), Jason Hatcher (played in a 3-4 with Dallas).

Also signing a player like Chris Clemons would help a lot. He shouldn't be too expensive since he didnt make too many "big plays" but the guy doesn't allow too many plays either. Signing him would allow the Packers to draft a player like LB Mosley or the best available defensive lineman.

Bottom line, the Packers aren't winning a championship next year without some starting quality FA this year. The past couple years we have only signed fringe 53 man roster quality players and it hasn't worked out. Time to have a little change in FA philosophy.
blank
Offline Laser Gunns  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:20:43 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 239

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
I heard that report too.
Can't remember who it was though.

Saffold from Rams.

OT

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:59:56 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

There is massive money spent in the first week to ten days of free agency. I don't want the Packers any part of it unless it is another Reggie White type player. It is insane some of these deals we are seeing. Maybe large portions are signing bonuses that will be prorated? Either way, a free agent is a free agent for a reason.

I'm looking for the Packers to grab someone on the DL that's more of a tier 2 talent and will pay him tier 3 money. The Packers aren't a future hall of famer away from being legit Super Bowl threats. They are a few average to good defensive starters away.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
QCHuskerFan on 3/13/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:36:54 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
There is massive money spent in the first week to ten days of free agency. I don't want the Packers any part of it unless it is another Reggie White type player. It is insane some of these deals we are seeing. Maybe large portions are signing bonuses that will be prorated? Either way, a free agent is a free agent for a reason.

I'm looking for the Packers to grab someone on the DL that's more of a tier 2 talent and will pay him tier 3 money. The Packers aren't a future hall of famer away from being legit Super Bowl threats. They are a few average to good defensive starters away.

Dreamer.
Offline warhawk  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:54:27 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 219

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Dreamer.

Seattle won the SB not because of the FA's acquired. It was because they got insane production from 3rd, 4th, and 5th round players they drafted and not all named Wilson.

GB will be much better on D ONLY if they get better production out of Perry, Mathews, D. Jones, Hayward, Burnett, Worthy, etc., coupled with better talent at ILB and Safety.

I think they feel Hyde can move to Safety and be a significant upgrade there. Getting Shields and Hayward back certainly allows this to happen without cutting them short. I think Lattimore is a name to watch at ILB this year.

This is a deep draft and Ted Thompson can add better talent where they are thin at Safety, OLB, ILB, and the DL. There is still time to add FA's that would accomplish this as well. This will help prevent a drop off when guys do go down. Capers was left with a 7th round pick and undrafted player to replace Perry and Mathews. I believe those two produced 0 sacks during in those games.

The main deal here is that the Packers CANNOT once again lead the league in games missed by starters due to injury. If the weekly Injury Report stays manageable this D will play at a higher level then the last couple of seasons.

"The train is leaving the station."
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:16:59 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 139

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
Seattle won the SB not because of the FA's acquired. It was because they got insane production from 3rd, 4th, and 5th round players they drafted and not all named Wilson.

GB will be much better on D ONLY if they get better production out of Perry, Mathews, D. Jones, Hayward, Burnett, Worthy, etc., coupled with better talent at ILB and Safety.

I think they feel Hyde can move to Safety and be a significant upgrade there. Getting Shields and Hayward back certainly allows this to happen without cutting them short. I think Lattimore is a name to watch at ILB this year.

This is a deep draft and Ted Thompson can add better talent where they are thin at Safety, OLB, ILB, and the DL. There is still time to add FA's that would accomplish this as well. This will help prevent a drop off when guys do go down. Capers was left with a 7th round pick and undrafted player to replace Perry and Mathews. I believe those two produced 0 sacks during in those games.

The main deal here is that the Packers CANNOT once again lead the league in games missed by starters due to injury. If the weekly Injury Report stays manageable this D will play at a higher level then the last couple of seasons.

You are being entirely too sensible and rational. You don't belong here.
blank
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:04:16 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,556
Applause Received: 640

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post

It's the difference maker.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”