Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Scuba_Steve747  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 7:44:16 PM(UTC)
From Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Packers are expected to re-sign free agent James Starks to a two-year contract.
Starks visited the Steelers on Monday and reportedly had two other teams interested in him. After rushing for 493 yards and three scores on 89 carries (5.5 YPC), it's a little surprising the 28-year-old couldn't find a team to offer him a chance to compete for a bigger role. In Green Bay, he'll return as the No. 2 behind Eddie Lacy, leaving DuJuan Harris and Johnathan Franklin fighting for scraps.

Love it.
Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 8:03:13 PM(UTC)
Scuba_Steve747, check out the "News" link on the upper left. You can bring a topic into the forum by clicking discuss. Might save ya a second or two on the copy/paste. Thanks for bringing this up though. I was actually just wondering about him lol.

I think Jermichael Finley will be next.
wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 8:13:28 PM(UTC)
I like bringing Starks back. I votes is Lacy, Starks, Franklin and then Harris. Franklin to move up the depth chart down the line.
nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 8:16:45 PM(UTC)
Love me some Starks.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 8:37:14 PM(UTC)
What has Dujaun Harris done that automatically puts him in front of Franklin? Should be an interesting battle for the 3rd running back. Or maybe we keep 4 of them and just have a hammer for a fullback.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 8:38:10 PM(UTC)
I'm mildly happy about this. I hope it doesn't cost DuJuan Harris a spot. Franklin I have a low opinion of, but I see quality in Harris. This basically insulates the Packers against injury at the RB position.
nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 8:52:26 PM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
What has Dujaun Harris done that automatically puts him in front of Franklin? Should be an interesting battle for the 3rd running back. Or maybe we keep 4 of them and just have a hammer for a fullback.

Assuming Franklin's "neck injury" isn't career ending.
blueleopard  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:24:37 AM(UTC)
I can almost guarantee Franklin will come back next year and make a statement.

I don't understand this signing. We have all sorts of depth at RB, we sign Starks and let Jones sign with Oakland? What the hell.
musccy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:09:03 AM(UTC)
blueleopard said: Go to Quoted Post

I don't understand this signing. We have all sorts of depth at RB, we sign Starks and let Jones sign with Oakland? What the hell.

You can never have too much stability with injuries and unexpected dips in performance (e.g. Burnett). Assuming this is a reasonable contract, I see nothing wrong with having 4 competent bodies who have proven capable of getting the job done. I wish we could say the same about our WRs, safeties, and center right now.

Mucky Tundra  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:38:47 AM(UTC)

I think it's a reaction to how topsy turvy the RB depth has been the past few years. I think it was back at the end of the 2012 there was an article where it talked about how half the time Rodgers couldn't call any of the audibles he wanted because the RB position was such a revolving door and guys didn't know the blocking assignments, routes etc on the plays.

Plus a backup role to Lacy seems to serve Starks well as the their running style really meshed at times last year. Lacy wears them down and Starks mops up. All we need is for either Franklin or Harris to become a pass catching/3rd down back that this offense sorely needs and hasn't had since Brandon Jackson.
Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:49:44 AM(UTC)
James Starks is the perfect compliment to Eddie Lacy.

Johnathan Franklin is probably not making the team this season, unless DuJuan Harris gets hurt.
Mucky Tundra  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:56:08 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
James Starks is the perfect compliment to Eddie Lacy.

Johnathan Franklin is probably not making the team next year, unless DuJuan Harris gets hurt.

Next year as in 2014 season or 2015?
sschind  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:25:55 AM(UTC)

I would rather have had Jones back if I had to choose between the two but I like the fact that Starks will be back. It's kinda the same situation. Starks is great depth (actually more than just depth but for illustrative purposes I will consider him and Harris and Franklin on somewhat equal footing given Lacy is our clear cut #1) at a price we can afford. I think Jones was as well but the powers that be did not.

I'm looking for a step up from Franklin that will make Harris expendable unless we don't resign Kuhn whom I think we really do not need.

I think too many people put too much emphasis on cheap players who they think can be plugged into a system and replace a veteran who has proven himself.
nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:30:52 AM(UTC)
Lacey is a good compliment to Starks.

Takes the bulk of the snaps, keeps Starks fresh and injury free.
musccy  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:02:17 AM(UTC)
sschind said: Go to Quoted Post

I think too many people put too much emphasis on cheap players who they think can be plugged into a system and replace a veteran who has proven himself.

I said this in a previous thread about Jones - one bird in hand trumps two in the bush. We knew what we had with Jones, Starks, Shields, Quarless which is why I wanted them all back.

For every mid round bargain like Daniels and Cobb there is a Terrell Manning or Pat Lee. Even if Hyde starts at safety this year, our depth is so damn thin at safety, we're going to be relying heavily on the 2014 rookie class at that position and a few others including possibly TE, WR, and C.

Wade  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:11:02 PM(UTC)
I don't have much of a feeling good or bad on this one. If they were going to lose either Jones or Starks, I'm with those who would rather it have been Starks, but other than that, my reaction is basically .... Meh.
luigis  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:12:39 PM(UTC)
I'm of the idea that Franklin can't play in the NFL so I'm happy about Starks being back.

With Starks and Harris behind #27 we have some serious trade material and if nobody is
interested we are happy to keep our three RBs.

sschind  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:56:39 PM(UTC)
luigis said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm of the idea that Franklin can't play in the NFL so I'm happy about Starks being back.

With Starks and Harris behind #27 we have some serious trade material and if nobody is

I'm not sure what gives you the idea Franklin can't play. I've seen about as much out of him as Harris. He looked pretty good in the one half he played in.

Nobody signed Starks when he was available for the taking why would they trade for him. I'm not sure Harris would fare any better except that he would garner even less interest because he has done even less.

I'm happy Starks is back and I'm OK with Harris I just don't see Franklin getting cut before Harris unless there is an injury problem. I see us keeping all 4 if for no other reason than Harris and Franklin are cheap.

Also to consider, Harris will be an UFA next year. Showcase him a little and try to get him better deal so we get that comp pick in 2016
PackFanWithTwins  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:30:55 PM(UTC)
There is to much unknown behind Lacy without Starks. With concussion rules and Lacy's running style, we need to make sure we have a back that can not only take some of the load off Lacy, but carry the majority if something bad were to happen with lacy
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:51:31 PM(UTC)
luigis said: Go to Quoted Post

I would stop short of saying Franklin "can't play" in the NFL, but I certainly don't think has the ability already shown by Starks and to a lesser extent, by Harris.

Wade, I disagree. Of the two Jameses, I'm glad they apparently are keeping Starks and letting Jones go.
Rss Feed