Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Scuba_Steve747  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:08:17 PM(UTC)
Scuba_Steve747

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 3/2/2010(UTC)

Applause Received: 10

Just two things I read on rotoworld that I found interesting.



The Packers want to take Randall Cobb out of the return job.
It's excellent news for Cobb's fantasy prospects. His attention will be fully devoted to the passing game, where the slot man is a very legit threat for 100 catches. He also won't be risking injury during high-impact returns. Cobb has been one of the game's best return men over the last three season, averaging 26.2 yards per kickoff return and 10.2 per punt.



A source tells ESPN that free agent KR Devin Hester is seeking $4 million per season.
It's a laughable request from a 31-year-old return specialist. If Hester lowers his price, he's expected to draw interest from the Falcons, Dolphins, Chiefs and Packers. Green Bay is looking to get Randall Cobb off returns so he can focus solely on offense.

I'm all for Hester and his asking price will come down.
blank
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:31:27 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Would be interesting. While his price is to high, with how less important KR has become, but having him returning punts, and I am sure McCarthy could figure a to use him in the passing game.

With how we have been using the WR screen, you throw Hester on the edge with Jordy, Boykin and Quarless to block for him, while leaving Cobb spread wide on the opposite side. Defense would need to respect the screen to Hester which should guarantee single coverage for Cobb opposite. Give Rodgers his choice.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:07:48 PM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 678
Applause Received: 698

I see two problems with picking up Hester (three if you count his current salary expectations):

1. He's a one-trick pony. IMO he was seriously underwhelming as a WR. Below average route runner. Even less as a DB.

2. Blocking by packer special teams has been uneven at best. Travis Williams would have trouble breaking big returns with great frequency.

I do like the idea that Cobb won't be on return duties, though. Especially since he's effectively 1B receiver now.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:03:17 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I see two problems with picking up Hester (three if you count his current salary expectations):

1. He's a one-trick pony. IMO he was seriously underwhelming as a WR. Below average route runner. Even less as a DB.

2. Blocking by packer special teams has been uneven at best. Travis Williams would have trouble breaking big returns with great frequency.

I do like the idea that Cobb won't be on return duties, though. Especially since he's effectively 1B receiver now.


Well according to some, with Rodgers throwing to him, he should be all-pro...

Who better to beat the crap out of returning than an Ex-Bear.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
sschind on 3/19/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:28:59 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 422

Is this a surprise? They tried to do it last year but i think only Cobb's injury succeeded in accomplishing the task.

I want no part of Devin Hester even if he is cheap. He has one goal in mind and that is to break the record. He will try to return every kick possible and he may break a long one every now and then but more likely we will be starting from deep in our own territory as a result of his poor decisions. His record stats for yards last season were a result of his returning a record number of kicks.

Personally I rather see if Jacoby Ford has anything to offer. He didn't do much last season after missing 2012 with a lisfranc but he did have 3 kick return TDs in 2010 and 1 in 2011 in only 11 return attempts.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DakotaT on 3/19/2014(UTC), Laser Gunns on 3/20/2014(UTC)
Online OlHoss1884  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:13:22 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 5/8/2013(UTC)
Location: Waukegan, IL

Applause Given: 58
Applause Received: 165

Hester wants $4 million a year. Coincidentally, so do I, and I am just as likely to get it.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DakotaT on 3/19/2014(UTC), musccy on 3/20/2014(UTC)
Offline mi_keys  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:50:35 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 219
Applause Received: 353

I can see it now. Bears and Packers tied at 21. 35 seconds to go.

3rd and 7 from midfield. Cutler back to pass. 5 step drop. Looking right. Pressure from the outside and SACKED!! Julius Peppers.

Packers timeout with 28 seconds left.

Maynard back to punt. High booming kick. Fielded at the 7 by Hester. Hester jukes past the gunner, takes off down the sideline. Cuts back to the middle through a seem. Just the punter to beat! TOUCHDOWN!

Green Bay wins. The Bears still suck.


The implosion in Chicago that would ensue would be legendary.


In all seriousness, I'd take him for about 1 mil per season. He won't sign for that so no thanks.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline sschind  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:36:36 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 422

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
Hester wants $4 million a year. Coincidentally, so do I, and I am just as likely to get it.



But he would probably average 5 more yards per return than you would.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline sschind  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:41:14 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 422

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
I can see it now. Bears and Packers tied at 21. 35 seconds to go.

3rd and 7 from midfield. Cutler back to pass. 5 step drop. Looking right. Pressure from the outside and SACKED!! Julius Peppers.

Packers timeout with 28 seconds left.

Maynard back to punt. High booming kick. Fielded at the 7 by Hester. Hester jukes past the gunner, takes off down the sideline. Cuts back to the middle through a seem. Just the punter to beat! TOUCHDOWN!

Green Bay wins. The Bears still suck.


The implosion in Chicago that would ensue would be legendary.


In all seriousness, I'd take him for about 1 mil per season. He won't sign for that so no thanks.


more likely it would end like this. Fielded at the 7 by Hester. he runs right, back to the 5, back to the 3, he cuts upfield, runs to his left, to the 5 to the 7 cuts back left, back to the 5 back, to the 3 cuts right, cuts left, looks around like he hasn't got a clue what to do and is finally brought down at the 1 jumps up and down like he just won the lottery (which at 4 million per year he might as well have)

I like the Peppers sack though, I could see that happening.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:06:33 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I see two problems with picking up Hester (three if you count his current salary expectations):

1. He's a one-trick pony. IMO he was seriously underwhelming as a WR. Below average route runner. Even less as a DB.

2. Blocking by packer special teams has been uneven at best. Travis Williams would have trouble breaking big returns with great frequency.

I do like the idea that Cobb won't be on return duties, though. Especially since he's effectively 1B receiver now.


Iirc, he was originally a DB, but they switched him to offense. That's why he's always sucked, imo. Maybe he could play S. Or be the dime guy.

I might take him over Jarrett Bush. Dare I say it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:34:04 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: Pro Bowl

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 254
Applause Received: 314


I believe I read that the rules people suggested moving the kickoff another 5 yards closer (which doesn't mean the NFL will pass it). If passed I think most kickoffs will go out of the end zone and you don't really have to worry about a kick off returner (and I'm hoping one of the WR/RB will solve that, maybe RB Harris or RB Franklin?)


And the best two pun return averages from last year (of those with at least 3 pun returns were)

1)WR Jeremy Ross
2) WR Tandon Doss

I think we all know about Ross so I'm not going to get into that...

In 2013 Ravens cut Doss, and Packers brought him in for a visit/workout and didn't sign him. Ravens resigned him... and he was a FA this off-season and signed for two-year, $1.505 million contract (less than a million a year). If the Packers wanted a cheap good punt returner (that's bad on offense) they could of had one of the best.

And also for kick returner S Quintin Demps had one of the best kick return averages last year and he's been a very good #3 vet Safety and stop gap starter if they wanted one. He signed but it hasn't been released how much yet (I don't think).


America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Laser Gunns  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:02:38 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/30/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 41
Applause Received: 246

I actually really like Jacoby Ford.

(He's great in Madden)


MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
thanks Post received 2 applause.
musccy on 3/20/2014(UTC), TengoJuego on 3/24/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:22:54 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,639
Applause Received: 656

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I believe I read that the rules people suggested moving the kickoff another 5 yards closer (which doesn't mean the NFL will pass it). If passed I think most kickoffs will go out of the end zone and you don't really have to worry about a kick off returner (and I'm hoping one of the WR/RB will solve that, maybe RB Harris or RB Franklin?)


And the best two pun return averages from last year (of those with at least 3 pun returns were)

1)WR Jeremy Ross
2) WR Tandon Doss

I think we all know about Ross so I'm not going to get into that...

In 2013 Ravens cut Doss, and Packers brought him in for a visit/workout and didn't sign him. Ravens resigned him... and he was a FA this off-season and signed for two-year, $1.505 million contract (less than a million a year). If the Packers wanted a cheap good punt returner (that's bad on offense) they could of had one of the best.

And also for kick returner S Quintin Demps had one of the best kick return averages last year and he's been a very good #3 vet Safety and stop gap starter if they wanted one. He signed but it hasn't been released how much yet (I don't think).




Fuck Ross.

Dude is just NOT clutch. He's got skills, but when the pressure is on, he melts down.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 3/20/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:35:51 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 458
Applause Received: 276

It would seem to me that DuJuan Harris would be the best candidate as a kick and punt returner. If he for whatever reason doesn't look good there, Hyde was adequate, maybe more than adequate last season. Also, I have gotten increasingly negative about Jonathan Franklin, but there really shouldn't be any reason why a guy with his measureables can't be trained in camp as a returner. If not that, then what? - I don't see him as better than the 4th RB.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Porforis  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:19:52 AM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Would be a complete waste with the way the league continues to seem obsessed with functionally eliminating the kickoff. Now they're talking about moving the kickoff up to the 40, which means just about every kick's going out the back of the endzone.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / OlHoss1884

14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / IronMan

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

29-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

28-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey