Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sschind  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:15:13 AM(UTC)
FWIW Gil Brandt has Datone Jones on his list of breakout players for 2014 predicting 11 sacks.

Here is what he had to say

Jones is a very athletic player with speed and quickness, but he needed to pick up his intensity as a rookie -- something he seemed to do late in the year. In the Packers' sub packages, Jones will move inside to rush from the tackle position. He's strong and plays with good leverage -- and, again, he's very athletic. Consider that he caught a touchdown pass during his time at UCLA. Jones is also good at knocking down passes. I think he'll be the person most responsible for improving Green Bay's defense in 2014.

Lets hope he is right on this one.
play2win  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:23:42 AM(UTC)
sschind, I love it.

I've been thinking far too often we may want our newly drafted DL/OL to be major contributors, most often out of sheer necessity covering for injury to a starter. These guys on the line need a solid year or two to physically develop to the pro level. I felt that way about Jones last year, and am really looking forward to seeing what both he and Bakhtiari on the other side of the ball can do with an additional year in the system and an offseason to better prepare.

I tend to agree. Datone Jones walked in with a phenomenal attitude. He wants to be great. Having a mentor like Julius Peppers around ought to help too. Look what Mike Daniels did year 1 to year 2. I anticipate great things for Datone Jones this season, and I can't wait to see it happen.
Mucky Tundra  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:29:10 AM(UTC)
Kenny Stills, Dee Milliner among players set for second-year leap

Isn't 11 sacks quite a bit for a DL in a 3-4? Even if he's moving inside on subpackages?

Edit: Went back and dug up the OL vs DL from the Senior Bowl with times where Datone is shown. Watched this video after he was drafted and was instantly impressed as well as excited.

3:20

7:35

11:55

15:32

19:45

39:05
wpr  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:56:12 AM(UTC)
I will take it.
sschind  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:57:45 AM(UTC)
Thanks for posting the link to the entire article Mucky. I wanted to give props to Kenny Stills as well. His dad was one of my favorite Packers, and he was a Badger on top of it all.

My name is Kenny Stills and I'm tough as gristle. I make my best hits long after the whistle.
User is suspended until 4/29/2043 11:56:55 PM(UTC) texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:58:50 PM(UTC)
Yeah, and to Datone's granddad, Deacon also!

just kidding, of course.
luigis  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:49:16 PM(UTC)
I will be happy with 11 starts
Laser Gunns  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:30:40 PM(UTC)
high expectations for a guy who the staff avoided putting on the field last year.
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
uffda udfa (10h) : Or...maybe, Detroit, who has won here one time in 25 years or so.
uffda udfa (10h) : Ravens... we're home and they're one offense our D can stop.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Bears, Browns and...?
uffda udfa (20h) : Yes...8 weeks from now... Hundley has to lead us to 2-3 wins for us to have reasonable shot
gbguy20 (21h) : Is he eligible at that time?
uffda udfa (22h) : Packers holding out hope 12 is back for game at Carolina.
uffda udfa (22h) : Rodgers to IR
Zero2Cool (23h) : ILB Jake Ryan was fined $18,231 for his horse-collar penalty against the
Zero2Cool (23h) : Vikings LB Anthony Barr wasn't fined for the hit that injured Aaron Rodgers -- but was fined $9,115 for head-butting Davante Adams.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Vikings WR Laquon Treadwell was fined $24,309 for his blindside block on Lenzy Pipkins.
Zero2Cool (20-Oct) : NaVorro Bowman signed with the #Raiders on Monday. Last night, he played 60 of the 62 defensive snaps and recorded a game-high 11 tackles.
Zero2Cool (20-Oct) : Seahawks officially placed DL Cliff Avril on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (20-Oct) : it breaks the shout div
uffda udfa (20-Oct) : Couldn't resist, Z... https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/921425194522202112
Zero2Cool (20-Oct) : OT Bryan Bulaga cleared the concussion protoco
Mucky Tundra (20-Oct) : then again, I maybe too optimistic for my own good :/
Mucky Tundra (20-Oct) : I think Hundley can handle; can Dom without the offense, that remains to be seen
uffda udfa (20-Oct) : He ain't done yet for this season. Can Hundley handle?
uffda udfa (20-Oct) : Aaron Rodgers finally communicates on Instagram: COMEBACK STARTS NOW
Barfarn (19-Oct) : Bart's not on injury report, he's startin'
Smokey (19-Oct) : I hope that means that he (Bart Starr) is in better health these days .
Zero2Cool (19-Oct) : Bart Starr returning to Lambeau Field for Packers-Saints game Sunday
Porforis (19-Oct) : Glad to have King back. And House. Packers need 'em.
Zero2Cool (19-Oct) : Good! smack some posts in the forum right?!? :-) can't wait to read it
uffda udfa (18-Oct) : No more clutter.
Cheesey (18-Oct) : Go get him Uncle Ted!!
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : Former Packers pass-rusher Datone Jones is back on the market.
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : Good news for #Packers secondary: rookie CB Kevin King and vet CB Davon House (quad) both practiced. King has cleared concussion protocol.
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : Vince Biegel back on practice field!!
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : Maybe this little shout has no value if people gonna use it instead of the forum.
Zero2Cool (18-Oct) : He's not writing. He's shouting, and its making the shout kind of without point with the clutter.
buckeyepackfan (18-Oct) : Just like last year at 4-6. The guy is just too funny!
buckeyepackfan (18-Oct) : GOOD news Uffda is already all but writing The Packers off for 2017!
uffda udfa (18-Oct) : Masturbation talk from Barfan? Nothing could make me COME back, quicker.
wpr (18-Oct) : Maybe the shout box needs to take a timeout. People keep using it. ;)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2017 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 7:30 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 3:25 PM
BENGALS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 8 @ 3:25 PM
at Cowboys