Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GermanGilbert  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 1:16:18 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 37
Applause Received: 87

As every year I took over TT's responsibilities in our mock draft on a german NFL message board. That's what I ended up with:

Round 1:

#1 Falcons (from Texans) - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
#2 Rams (from Redskins) - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
#3 Jaguars - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
#4 Browns - Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
#5 Vikings (from Raiders) - Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
#6 Texans (from Falcons) - Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
#7 Buccaneers - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
#8 Raiders (from Vikings) - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
#9 Bills - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
#10 Lions - Justin Gilbert, CB, OK State
#11 Titans - Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
#12 Texans (from Giants) - Johnny Manziel, QB, A&M
#13 Rams - Hasean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
#14 Bears - Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
#15 Steelers - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
#16 Cowboys - Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
#17 Saints (from Ravens) - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
#18 Jets - Marqise Lee, WR, USC
#19 Dolphins - C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
#20 Cardinals - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
#21 Eagles (from Packers) - Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame
#22 Browns (from Eagles via Packers) - Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
#23 Chiefs - Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
#24 Bengals - Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
#25 Chargers - Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

Traded #21 and #161 to the Eagles for #22 and #122.
Traded #22, #121 and #197 to the Browns for #26, #83 and #218.

#26 Packers (from Colts via Browns) - Odell Beckham, WR, LSU

With Pryor and Mosley gone right before #21 I decided to trade down. Clear BPA pick at this point. Not the most glaring need for 2014, but with Cobb and Nelson in their contract seasons and Jones and Jennings gone I thought it might be a good idea to add depth to the WR corps. Beckham Jr looks like the real deal in this WR class to me and also brings in options in the return game.


#27 Ravens (from Saints) - Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
#28 Panthers - Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
#29 Patriots - Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
#30 49ers - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
#31 Broncos - Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
#32 Browns - Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

Round 2:

#33 Giants (from Texans) - Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
#34 Redskins - Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
#35 Seahawks (from Browns) - Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada
#36 Raiders - Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
#37 Giants (from Falcons via Texans) - David Yankey, OG, Stanford
#38 Buccaneers - Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
#39 Jaguars - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU
#40 Vikings - Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn
#41 Bills - Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
#42 Titans - Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame
#43 Giants - Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State

Traded #53 and #85 to the Rams for #44 and #110

#44 Packers (from Rams) - Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois


With a lot of teams with Safety need right in front of me I decided to trade up to get Jimmie Ward. He might be a bit small, but that's all "negatives" you have on that guy. Pure football player, good tackler, great in coverage. Might be the best Safety on the roster so far. With the Ravens and Jets also wanting Ward and Borland (who was also on my board for #53) going to the Steelers 2 picks after my pick it was a wise decision to trade up.


#45 Lions - Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
#46 Steelers - Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
#47 Cowboys - Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
#48 Ravens - JaWuan James, OT, Tennessee
#49 Jets - Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
#50 Dolphins - Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
#51 Ravens (from Bears) - Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State
#52 Cardinals - Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State
#53 Rams (from Packers) - Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
#54 Eagles - Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
#55 Bengals - Marcus Martin, C, USC
#56 49ers (from Chiefs) - Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
#57 Chargers - Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
#58 Bears (from Ravens via Saints) - Lamarcus Joyner, S, FSU
#59 Colts - Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, GT
#60 Panthers - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
#61 49ers - Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
#62 Jaguars (from Patriots) - Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
#63 Broncos - Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford
#64 Seahawks - Marcus Smith, DE, Louisville

Round 3:

#65 Texans - Dominique Easley, DT, Florida
#66 Redskins - Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
#67 Raiders - Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
#68 Falcons - C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
#69 Buccaneers - Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Western Illinois
#70 Patriots (from Jaguars) - Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
#71 Browns - Terrence Brooks, S, FSU
#72 Raiders (from Vikings) - Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
#73 Bills - Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
#74 Giants - Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton
#75 Rams - Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
#76 Lions - Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
#77 49ers (from Titans) - Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
#78 Cowboys - Dion Bailey, S, USC
#79 Saints (from Ravens) - Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
#80 Jets - Keith McGill, CB, Utah
#81 Dolphins - Trai Turner, OG, LSU
#82 Bears - DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State

#83 Packers (from Steelers via Browns) - Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona State

An OLB/DE in college, but from his measurables he looks like a 3-4 ILB to me. Great pass rush abilities, good in run support, but also spent some time in coverage. Kind of a risky pick, because his position in the NFL has to be decided, but for me too good to pass up.


#84 Cardinals - Billy Turner, OT, NDSU
#85 Rams (from Packers) - Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh
#86 Eagles - Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia
#87 Chiefs - Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
#88 Bengals - Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
#89 Chargers - Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
#90 Colts - Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
#91 Bears (from Ravens via Saints) - Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana
#92 Panthers - Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
#93 Patriots - Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
#94 49ers - Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
#95 Broncos - Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona
#96 Vikings (from Seahawks) - Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida
comp#97 Steelers - Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty

comp#98 Packers - Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina

Jaylen Watkins was my intended pick at this point, but he went off board right before. So I took Kelcy Quarles to add more depth to the DL. Good fit as a 3-4 DE and great pass rush abilities.


comp#99 Ravens - Terrance West, RB, Towson
comp#100 49ers - Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas DE

Round 4:

#101 Texans - Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
#102 Redskins - Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford
#103 Falcons - Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota
#104 Jets (from Bucs) - Chris Smith, LB, Arkansas
#105 Jaguars - Bryan Stork, C, FSU
#106 Seahawks (from Browns) - Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
#107 Raiders - Justin Ellis, DT, LT
#108 Vikings - Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman
#109 Bills - Ego Ferguson, DT, LSU
#110 Saints (from Rams via Packers) - Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
#111 Lions - Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State
#112 Titans - Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
#113 Giants - Telvin Smith, LB, FSU
#114 Jaguars (from Ravens) - Michael Schofield, OT, Michigan
#115 Jets - Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
#116 Dolphins - Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
#117 Ravens (from Bears) - Christian Jones, LB, FSU
#118 Steelers - Josh Mauro, DE, Stanford
#119 Cowboys - Jordan Zumwalt, OLB, UCLA
#120 Cardinals - James Gayle, DE, Virginia Tech
#121 Browns (from Eagles via Packers) - Devonta Freeman, RB, FSU

#122 Packers - Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State

My favourite player in round 4, great blocker, sure hands, with 6'6 a good red zone target, aside from his lack of separation I don't see anything bad on this guy. Great combine and senior bowl as well.

#123 Bengals - Vic Hampton, CB, South Carolina
#124 Chiefs - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill
#125 Chargers - Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee

Traded #110 to the Saints for #126 and #169

#126 Packers (from Saints) - E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri

McCullers went right ahead, I would have given him a shot. But I'm fine with E.J. Gaines as well. Bit of a tweener, can play safety as well as he played a lot of zone coverage in college. But I'm pretty sure he can excel as a CB in the NFL.


#127 Browns (from Colts) - Brent Urban, DE, Virginia
#128 Panthers - Dontae Johnson, CB, N.C. State
#129 49ers - Andre Williams, RB, Boston College
#130 Patriots - Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia
#131 Broncos - Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida
#132 Browns - Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
comp#133 Lions - Jake Murphy, TE, Utah
comp#134 Ravens - Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers
comp#135 Texans - James Hurst, OT, UNC
comp#136 Lions - Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
comp#137 Jets - Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
comp#138 Ravens - AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama
comp#139 Falcons - Charles Sims, RB, WVU
comp#140 Patriots - Trevor Reilly, LB, Utah


Any thoughts? Hope I didn't disappoint Packer nation :D Rounds 5-7 will be done by my Packerbuddy with more insight in College Football.
blank
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Wade on 4/26/2014(UTC), wpr on 4/26/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline sschind  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:04:17 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 129
Applause Received: 468

Good job. I can't say much for the players personally but you did an excellent job of explaining your picks. I don't know much about Beckham but if he plays football like that other guy named Beckham played football I like it. Like the way I integrated football and football in there and didn't insult you by calling it soccer? I'm a diplomat if nothing elseSmile Oh, and I am going by all the hype David Beckham generated, I honestly don't know if he was that good of a player.

As far as your draft goes it does sound like the Falcons really covet Clowney so I could see that happening. I'm just curious as to what else the Falcons gave up to move up. I see the Texans got the Falcons #6 pick and still Landed Mack and then they traded the Giants for their #12 pick and got Manziel. Regardless of what you personally think about Manziel you have to think this is a great draft for them simply from a need and a player availability standpoint. Heck, I've seen mocks that have Mack going #1 (very few admittedly) and several big boards have him rated higher. Of course we all have seen mocks that have the Texans taking Manziel #1 so if they can get him after landing Mack so much the better. Anyway, what did you have the Texans giving the Giants for their #12.

The only other pick that stood out to me was the Bears taking Ebron. I don't know that they would pass on Donald if he were there but it just may be that Ebron is that special. TE is not a huge need for them but sometimes you can't pass up certain players.

Again, good job and thanks for your input. I like the justification you provided for your moves and I can appreciate the time that goes into such things. Since I don't know the players well enough to do this (for the first round much less an entire draft) I for one appreciate your effort.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:17:37 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/30/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 44
Applause Received: 263

Picks 1&2 I don't really like (just based off who was still available)

But GJ!


MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline Wade  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:02:49 PM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 693
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert Go to Quoted Post
As every year I took over TT's responsibilities in our mock draft on a german NFL message board. That's what I ended up with:


Traded #21 and #161 to the Eagles for #22 and #122.
Traded #22, #121 and #197 to the Browns for #26, #83 and #218.

#26 Packers (from Colts via Browns) - Odell Beckham, WR, LSU

With Pryor and Mosley gone right before #21 I decided to trade down. Clear BPA pick at this point. Not the most glaring need for 2014, but with Cobb and Nelson in their contract seasons and Jones and Jennings gone I thought it might be a good idea to add depth to the WR corps. Beckham Jr looks like the real deal in this WR class to me and also brings in options in the return game.



Like the double trade down idea. I tend to think #26 is too early for Beckham, though.
Quote:


Traded #53 and #85 to the Rams for #44 and #110

#44 Packers (from Rams) - Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois


With a lot of teams with Safety need right in front of me I decided to trade up to get Jimmie Ward. He might be a bit small, but that's all "negatives" you have on that guy. Pure football player, good tackler, great in coverage. Might be the best Safety on the roster so far. With the Ravens and Jets also wanting Ward and Borland (who was also on my board for #53) going to the Steelers 2 picks after my pick it was a wise decision to trade up.



Okay with this one. I'm not as sold on Ward as most people, but solid need pick.
Quote:

#83 Packers (from Steelers via Browns) - Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona State

An OLB/DE in college, but from his measurables he looks like a 3-4 ILB to me. Great pass rush abilities, good in run support, but also spent some time in coverage. Kind of a risky pick, because his position in the NFL has to be decided, but for me too good to pass up.


This one I don't like. At ILB, I think Smallwood/Zumwalt/Christian Jones/even a converted Telvin Smith all better (though this is too high for any of them.)

Actually, I think Watkins would have been good here. And of course being the OLOLOL guy I am I would preferred a 1/3-round reach on Billy Turner or Travis Swanson here rather than on a guy I think is late 4th round at best. The real value pick based on what was available on your board, though, was Jack Mewhort with Dakota Dozier a close second. But either Watkins or Desir would have been real good value for position.

Quote:


comp#98 Packers - Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina

Jaylen Watkins was my intended pick at this point, but he went off board right before. So I took Kelcy Quarles to add more depth to the DL. Good fit as a 3-4 DE and great pass rush abilities.


Okay, but McCullers is better IMO. I would be ecstatic if Shade Treee is still here and I'd hire Usain Bolt to run the McCullers card up before anyone had a chance to screw things up with an earthquake or whatever.

Actually, I think most would put Will Sutton even higher on their DT list, come to think of it; not sure I agree, though. And I fear some NFC rival is going to end up spending a late second on McCullers -- if there is one player in this draft I would reach up to a round for it is Shade Tree.

Nothing wrong with Quarles; I just think there are better options at DT out there. Quarles is good for depth, but the McCullers pick will ensure that Raji puts up what his advocates claim is possible or sits the pine. Book it: McCullers is going to make first round impressions on the NFL in year one for someone. B J who?

Quote:


#122 Packers - Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State

My favourite player in round 4, great blocker, sure hands, with 6'6 a good red zone target, aside from his lack of separation I don't see anything bad on this guy. Great combine and senior bowl as well.



Good pick here. Need plus value for the position.

(Being the OL guy I am, I love Duvernay-Tardif, but he's not worth a fourth-rounder.)

Quote:


#123 Bengals - Vic Hampton, CB, South Carolina
#124 Chiefs - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill
#125 Chargers - Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee

Traded #110 to the Saints for #126 and #169

#126 Packers (from Saints) - E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri

McCullers went right ahead, I would have given him a shot. But I'm fine with E.J. Gaines as well. Bit of a tweener, can play safety as well as he played a lot of zone coverage in college. But I'm pretty sure he can excel as a CB in the NFL.




This is a fantastic pick! I would have been happy with Gaines with the earlier pick, even. Great value for the position, and you never have enough good CBs.

Good job, Gilbert!
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline GermanGilbert  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:59:55 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 37
Applause Received: 87

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Good job. I can't say much for the players personally but you did an excellent job of explaining your picks. I don't know much about Beckham but if he plays football like that other guy named Beckham played football I like it. Like the way I integrated football and football in there and didn't insult you by calling it soccer? I'm a diplomat if nothing elseSmile Oh, and I am going by all the hype David Beckham generated, I honestly don't know if he was that good of a player.

As far as your draft goes it does sound like the Falcons really covet Clowney so I could see that happening. I'm just curious as to what else the Falcons gave up to move up. I see the Texans got the Falcons #6 pick and still Landed Mack and then they traded the Giants for their #12 pick and got Manziel. Regardless of what you personally think about Manziel you have to think this is a great draft for them simply from a need and a player availability standpoint. Heck, I've seen mocks that have Mack going #1 (very few admittedly) and several big boards have him rated higher. Of course we all have seen mocks that have the Texans taking Manziel #1 so if they can get him after landing Mack so much the better. Anyway, what did you have the Texans giving the Giants for their #12.


The Falcons just used their 2nd to move up. I know, it's not realistic, but we only trade this years picks in our mock draft, no future picks, no players. The Texans gave up 2 2nd and a 6th to move up.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns Go to Quoted Post
Picks 1&2 I don't really like (just based off who was still available)

But GJ!


Which guys would you pick up instead? Just interested :)

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Like the double trade down idea. I tend to think #26 is too early for Beckham, though.


Based on what i've read and seen Beckham is a top 20 pick. I don't think he'll slip out of the first.

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Okay with this one. I'm not as sold on Ward as most people, but solid need pick.


I guess there's a huge drop after the top 3 S, so I tried to get one of them.

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
This one I don't like. At ILB, I think Smallwood/Zumwalt/Christian Jones/even a converted Telvin Smith all better (though this is too high for any of them.)


All of those guys have red flags. Smallwood and Jones make me looking like the fastest guy on earth and Zumwalt is not 3rd round material. I'm not totally sold on Bradford, not at all, but from what was available, he was the best answer to me.


Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Actually, I think Watkins would have been good here. And of course being the OLOLOL guy I am I would preferred a 1/3-round reach on Billy Turner or Travis Swanson here rather than on a guy I think is late 4th round at best. The real value pick based on what was available on your board, though, was Jack Mewhort with Dakota Dozier a close second. But either Watkins or Desir would have been real good value for position.


Okay, but McCullers is better IMO. I would be ecstatic if Shade Treee is still here and I'd hire Usain Bolt to run the McCullers card up before anyone had a chance to screw things up with an earthquake or whatever.

Actually, I think most would put Will Sutton even higher on their DT list, come to think of it; not sure I agree, though. And I fear some NFC rival is going to end up spending a late second on McCullers -- if there is one player in this draft I would reach up to a round for it is Shade Tree.

Nothing wrong with Quarles; I just think there are better options at DT out there. Quarles is good for depth, but the McCullers pick will ensure that Raji puts up what his advocates claim is possible or sits the pine. Book it: McCullers is going to make first round impressions on the NFL in year one for someone. B J who?


Will Sutton was the 2nd option for this pick, but I'm not sue if he fits in a 3-4. McCullers was intended to be the 126 pick, I would have given him a shot in the 4th, but his serious work ethic concerns stopped me from taking him in the 3rd


Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Good pick here. Need plus value for the position.


Crockett rulez the world :D




Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
This is a fantastic pick! I would have been happy with Gaines with the earlier pick, even. Great value for the position, and you never have enough good CBs.

Good job, Gilbert!


As I said, no natural Corner (at least not in the Packers system), but a true football player. I love those guys, so he got my nod.

Thanks for your analysis, wade :) Really appreciated this.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 4/27/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error


Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dulak

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Porforis

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / luigis

17-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / Rockmolder

17-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / dyeah_gb

17-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

17-Dec / Green Bay Packers Talk / Gilligan


Tweeter