Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 1:00:05 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Source credit: http://www.jsonline.com/...d&utm_medium=twitter

This is not something I really gave much thought to but it's a critical decision coming in the near future. It seems the board of directors is not happy Mark Murphy is pondering approaching Mike McCarthy about an contract extension. Why? Ted Thompson is seemingly near his end in Green Bay. The fear is Mike McCarthy will be extended, Ted Thompson will leave, and this will make it much harder to attract a quality GM because the new GM is going to want to pick his own HC.

Hmmm. That is a very interesting thing to keep an eye on in these upcoming years.

For me, I think HC's should have some kind of term limit. Mike McCarthy has said it himself, after awhile players tune the same voice out. He's had a heckuva run. Perhaps, you keep him around until Aaron is done giving him what Brett didn't have...the same coach all the way through. Yes, Holmgren's choice, but it would be nice to see Aaron and Mike McCarthy stay together. I guess the key is TT. What will he do? Bail after this draft? There is talk he may not see the end of his contract.

Perhaps, Murphy knows there is a candidate out there who would be willing to take on Mike McCarthy as his HC, and there is little to worry about?

It never crossed my mind this could be Ted Thompson's last draft in Green Bay even though his contract isn't up.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 5/4/2014(UTC)
Offline gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 2:59:21 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 206
Applause Received: 285

at some point the dude is going to want to attempt to have time to attempt to get married
call me Dan
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 4:58:32 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 654

Ted's been grooming Eliot Wolf, no?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:31:09 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 654

Just because a guy's under contract, doesn't mean you can't fire him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:12:17 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,033
Applause Received: 1,468

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Ted's been grooming Eliot Wolf, no?

Doesn't mean Packers Inc will give Wolf the gig.

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:56:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

If you go to the "News" link in the upper left corner, you could have found the same story and clicked "Discuss" to generate the topic and add your thoughts. :-)

it'll look like this !!

JSOnline wrote:
A few days from now Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy will sit in adjoining seats at the close of their ninth draft together for the Green Bay Packers. No NFL team can match the Packers for consecutive years of service in the jobs of general manager and coach.

Mark Murphy doesn't decide if Mike McCarthy gets an extension. That is Ted Thompson. When Thompson leaves, he will give advance notice. He's not shady like that. And yes Eliot Wolf has been groomed to take his place and admires McCarthy.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:59:24 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I've been thinking this goes to Wolf all along. McCarthy should be fine.
Offline The GM  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 8:31:45 AM(UTC)
The GM

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 9

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
If you go to the "News" link in the upper left corner, you could have found the same story and clicked "Discuss" to generate the topic and add your thoughts. :-)

it'll look like this !!

Mark Murphy doesn't decide if Mike McCarthy gets an extension. That is Ted Thompson. When Thompson leaves, he will give advance notice. He's not shady like that. And yes Eliot Wolf has been groomed to take his place and admires McCarthy.

The next Packer GM will be John Schneider of the Seahawks. Schneider is from DePere and was a Packer fan growing up. Its his dream job. Wolf could be a GM down the road but it wont be in GB when Thompson retires.
thanks Post received 5 applause.
nerdmann on 5/4/2014(UTC), Wade on 5/4/2014(UTC), wpr on 5/4/2014(UTC), DoddPower on 5/4/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 5/5/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 8:53:27 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post

For me, I think HC's should have some kind of term limit. Mike McCarthy has said it himself, after awhile players tune the same voice out. He's had a heckuva run. Perhaps, you keep him around until Aaron is done giving him what Brett didn't have...the same coach all the way through. Yes, Holmgren's choice, but it would be nice to see Aaron and Mike McCarthy stay together. I guess the key is TT. What will he do? Bail after this draft? There is talk he may not see the end of his contract.

I would actually like to see what a guy like Sean Payton could do with this offense. No offense to McCarthy, because I think he is a fine coach and we're lucky to have had him this long; but I think Mike McCarthy has left a lot of points on the field in his tenure here - and in the process lost some close games that should have never been close.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 5 applause.
The GM on 5/4/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 5/4/2014(UTC), wpr on 5/4/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 5/5/2014(UTC), gbguy20 on 5/5/2014(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 9:33:40 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 678
Applause Received: 698

Thanks for starting this thread, uffda.

It's hard to believe Thompson is 61. He might have white hair, but he seems a lot younger to me.

I've been critical of him at times, but I can't imagine Murphy not wanting him to continue longer. Barring implosion of the team under .500 for a couple years running, Ted will be there as long as he wants. He'll be like the elder Wolf, leaving on his terms when he thinks it is ready.
And given how he keeps everything close, I doubt anyone has a real clue when that might be. Maybe McCarthy or Schneider do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

I certainly don't think McGinn has a clue.

It could be next year, it could be in ten years. Who knows?

I don't know who else plays poker out there other than Gunny's wife the hold-em goddess, but if you do, can you imagine trying to play limit stud with Thompson?

You'd have to play micro-stakes, and he'd probably still fleece you.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr on 5/4/2014(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 9:46:12 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 678
Applause Received: 698

Originally Posted by: The GM Go to Quoted Post
The next Packer GM will be John Schneider of the Seahawks. Schneider is from DePere and was a Packer fan growing up. Its his dream job. Wolf could be a GM down the road but it wont be in GB when Thompson retires.

It's a good point, and I'd personally rather have Schneider.

But would "coming back home" be enough for him? He's already a GM, and he works for a billionaire who keeps his hands off. He's got rings.

It's sort of like an alumnus of Wisconsin who already serves as the President of the University of Colorado? How likely is it that he would become President of the U of W?

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline uffda udfa  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:37:45 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

it'll look like this !!

This is from the article: Murphy, the team's president, has been working on a contract extension for McCarthy during the off-season, according to sources.

A housekeeping issue... is it wrong to start a topic the way I started it? I'd never been to the "NEWS" section until you mentioned I should've clicked it. I clicked it to see what had been discussed, already, and it created a discussion. Oops.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:57:12 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 40
Applause Received: 246

Fun factoid:

jon Schnider talked very fondly of his time in Green Bay.... At the Seahawks Super Bowl parade.

And again during a radio interview a few weeks ago.

I don't think a homecoming is really too far fetched.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 11:35:02 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,033
Applause Received: 1,468

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
This is from the article: Murphy, the team's president, has been working on a contract extension for McCarthy during the off-season, according to sources.

A housekeeping issue... is it wrong to start a topic the way I started it? I'd never been to the "NEWS" section until you mentioned I should've clicked it. I clicked it to see what had been discussed, already, and it created a discussion. Oops.

UU if you click the "discuss" button it creates a new thread. It you click the yellow hyper link it pulls up the story for you but does not create the thread here.

We do get 2 or 3 threads sometimes. Zero often combines them together.

One of the advantages to using the news feed section is it saves time. Zero has it set up that it creates the topic subject line. It pulls the story or partial story in, provides a hyper link and put the story into a quote box. It just says time. Many posters prefer to create their own threads and that is fine too.

UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool on 5/5/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 11:43:32 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
UU if you click the "discuss" button it creates a new thread. It you click the yellow hyper link it pulls up the story for you but does not create the thread here.

We do get 2 or 3 threads sometimes. Zero often combines them together.

One of the advantages to using the news feed section is it saves time. Zero has it set up that it creates the topic subject line. It pulls the story or partial story in, provides a hyper link and put the story into a quote box. It just says time. Many posters prefer to create their own threads and that is fine too.

Thank you for the heads up. I wish I had "delete" powers over my own mistakes. That mistake won't happen again.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Rss Feed