Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:07:48 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

Carl Bradford | Linebacker | Arizona State | 6'1" - 241 lbs.

JSOnline Blog wrote:
Green Bay -The Packers have selected linebacker Carl Bradford from Arizona State in the fourth round with the 121st pick overall in the NFL draft on Saturday.

Love it!!!! Quite a steal at 121! Projected as an R2.

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Sports a compact, powerful frame. Highly instinctive, physical and versatile defender who splits his time between defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker. Good initial quickness off the snap out of the three-point stance, showing enough speed to cross the face of the offensive tackle, as well as an effective club, rip and spin moves to break free.
Surprisingly effective when run toward due to his quickness and use of leverage, bending to take out the knees of oncoming blockers and creating a pile. Adept at slipping blocks. Locates the football quickly and shows an explosive burst to close emphatically.

Only occasionally asked to drop back into coverage, but shows at least fair fluidity and speed when doing so. Alert player with a history of making big plays.

WEAKNESSES: Played in a highly aggressive scheme that may have maximized his big-play ability while minimizing his faults. Lacks ideal physical traits to remain as an outside pass rusher in the NFL, where he starred for the Sun Devils.

Can be engulfed in the running game (whether playing linebacker or defensive end) and does not appear to possess ideal arm length to break free once blockers latch on.

Smooth accelerator off the edge but doesn't possess great speed. Can play out of control, at times, dropping his head to deliver the knockout blow and occasionally whiffing on open-field tackles. Can allow his emotions to get the better of him; benched for the second half against Oregon State Nov. 16 after a physical altercation with teammates on the sideline.

COMPARES TO: Brandon Spikes, Patriots - Like New England's free agent inside linebacker, Bradford is an instinctive, physical and tenacious defender who, unfortunately, has some size and athletic limitations.

OVERVIEW: Bradford has an impressive blend of power and explosion, rushing the passer with a violent, ferocious temperament. He will be viewed by some as a classic 'tweener, but is more than the sum of his parts.

Size, athleticism and instincts project Bradford best to inside linebacker in the NFL - a position he only occasionally played for ASU. However, his ability as a personal protector in the punting game does increase his value.
http://www.cbssports.com...rs/1737364/carl-bradford

Edited by moderator Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:39:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline musccy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:19:15 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 149

I'm cautiously optimistic with this pick. Admittedly I didn't know a lot about him coming into the draft, but he seems to be a high motor guy with a bit of a mean streak we could use. Sounds like he can go inside, just don't know about his coverage skills.
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:33:49 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Watch all the batted down balls musccy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqCmUevqAJ4

Then there's this, one game v. USC, and if you stick with it you can see how disruptive Bradford is. Check out the pick at 6:41:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJVj7R3MBBU
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DarkaneRules on 5/10/2014(UTC), nerdmann on 5/11/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:43:23 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 149

I remember him against wisconsin, he seems like a decent tackler, and he will seem to add some intimidation and beef up the middle of our lb group...again just don't know if he can cover and other scouting I've read is his pass rush sills are marginal, he relied a lot on scheme to get pressure.
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:47:23 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,299
Applause Received: 573

Another ILB who hasn't proven he can cover.

And he's a tweener! Capers must LOVE this guy!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline uffda udfa  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 12:04:41 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 103
Applause Received: 103

For the round to value ratio this is, by far, my favorite pick so far. Only one I really like so far.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 12:15:14 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,747
Applause Received: 1,317

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
For the round to value ratio this is, by far, my favorite pick so far. Only one I really like so far.

great value.

Lindy's Sports says

grade 7.5 out of 9 = above average starter.
projected 2nd or 3rd round

summary of strengths and weakness too long for me to type all. Most has been said by others as well.

compares to Brandon Spikes Patriots.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline luigis  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 12:41:38 PM(UTC)
luigis

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 85

In the 4th the odds of getting a starter are already quite low, so this is a very good pick.

I hope he can contribute to STs while learning to take a spot in the middle of the field.
Luis
Offline evad04  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 1:10:06 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 59
Applause Received: 74

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Another ILB who hasn't proven he can cover.

And he's a tweener! Capers must LOVE this guy!

Just because Mike Mayock or some other talking head says he projects as an ILB doesn't mean that's where he's going to play. At least right away.

A Packers front office guy said he'll likely start out at OLB but that a transition to ILB is possible.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline DarkaneRules  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 3:59:33 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 272

Love this pick particularly because he is versatile. He will fit nicely into the LB group with the other elephants :)
Offline Yerko  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 12:41:18 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 228

Not overly impressed with his tape. He seems to be stalemated more than anything. Two things he seems to succeed at, rushing up the middle and he has decent coverage ability (some are saying he can't cover).
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 1:12:33 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
Not overly impressed with his tape. He seems to be stalemated more than anything. Two things he seems to succeed at, rushing up the middle and he has decent coverage ability (some are saying he can't cover).

Yerko, I went to ASU and have followed this guy for a while. He is a good player, but I'm right with you on your concerns.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him and how they choose to use him. I'm confused by this pick, unless they want to use him at ILB. I think he could do well there. We have a ton of OLB players, but the thought of adding another on the left to platoon with Neal, then shifting Perry over to his more effective side on the right platooning with Matthews may make some sense.

But then, what happens with Peppers?

How many will they keep?

I thought, as great of a projection steal he might have been in the draft lasting to the middle of R4, it was still a pick loaded with uncertainty. Even more so when you have McCarthy stating he will be used outside. Not particularly fast, but loaded with energy in getting after the QB. Good in coverage. He is versatile. He has some decent instincts for the game. He is a better pass rusher than your video indicates (21.5 sacks, 43 TFL). But, I did want more raw speed and size. Bradford is 6-1 and 250. Maybe he has tools they like and they think they can coach him up. I'm thinking this was a driving factor in their selecting him. IMO, a shift inside would make the most sense, but who knows what they are thinking up there?

Honestly, that is a component of this defense I find more than a bit troubling. Few clearly defined roles. Especially in our front seven. Maybe they like it that way, so that they can morph into different fronts without changing personnel between downs. My guess is the pick is probably geared more towards this aspect of how Capers likes to call his D. That is the only thing that makes sense to me with their selection of Carl Bradford, aside from just ramping up competition at the position. Maybe it works.

We've got Malumba and Palmer on the outside too.

This is a better video of what he can bring from a highlight perspective:

Carl Bradford Highlights

Here's another one:

Bradford Highlights

His playing style is really unique. I'll give him that. Unlike any I've seen...

Does he get stonewalled? Sure, who doesn't? He can get blocked away from a play. But, he is ALWAYS ON. Goes 100% all the time and doesn't take plays off. Figure, he may fare well with Peppers, Daniels, Jones and Matthews...

Edited by user Monday, May 12, 2014 1:55:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline yooperfan  
#13 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 2:14:41 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 523
Applause Received: 243

I like this pick.
He may not turn into a star player that they will want to keep in the long term but I think he will help us on the short term as we continue to turn this defense around.
This guy has some get up and go.

Plus he is a former Sun Devil. I got a soft spot in my heart for ASU players.
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 2:22:50 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
I like this pick.
He may not turn into a star player that they will want to keep in the long term but I think he will help us on the short term as we continue to turn this defense around.
This guy has some get up and go.

Plus he is a former Sun Devil. I got a soft spot in my heart for ASU players.

You know what yoops? He raises competition in our LB corp. That's for sure. He has a Tasmanian Devil kind of style to his play.

Figure, with all the different pass rush combinations we now have, someone's gonna be getting home!
Online Mucky Tundra  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 6:10:05 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 298
Applause Received: 366

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post

Excellent, we'll just bring up the middle with with Daniels while Peppers and Matthews come from the outside.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed