Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:47:19 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

Jeff Janis | Wide Receiver | Saginaw valley State | 6'3" - 219 lbs.

4.42 in 40 yard dash

OVERVIEW
Also played basketball as a Michigan prep. Broke a finger on his left hand as a senior, causing him to switch to running back -- returned to the field with a cast up to his left elbow. Redshirted in 2009. Started 6-of-10 games played in '10 and caught nine balls for 130 yards (13-yard average) and a touchdown. Started 8-of-11 games in '11, tallying 48-968-14 (20.2). Set SVSU single-season records for catches and receiving yards in '12 when he started all 11 games and piled up 106-1635-17 (15.4). Was Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Offensive Back of the Year in '13 when he totaled 83-1,572-14 (18.9) in 12 contests.

STRENGTHS Exceptional measurables and leaping ability -- will test through the roof. Accelerates into routes quickly and can separate vertically and uncover underneath working short-to-intermediate zones. Terrific production -- carves up lesser competition and creates chunk plays. Good red-zone target. Exceptional work ethic. Outstanding football character. Very passionate about the game. Has a 37 1/2-inch vertical jump, posted a 3.98-second 20-yard shuttle (fourth-best among receivers) and a 6.64-second 3-cone time.

WEAKNESSES Has very small, inconsistent hands -- will cradle the ball and use his body. Is not a nuanced route runner. Does not attack the ball in the air and will give up some break points. Not strong after the catch and will look for a soft landing spot. Can be fazed by traffic. Regularly faced Division II competition. Not a consistent blocker -- does not play to his size.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE A Division II standout with rare measurables and production, Janis must prove that he can translate his small-school success to the field against better competition.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:18:21 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,376

Finally, my tall receiver. So sick of watching Stafford and Cutler lob up shit to their tall covered receivers and we don't have that option.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 5/11/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:35:52 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Finally, my tall receiver. So sick of watching Stafford and Cutler lob up shit to their tall covered receivers and we don't have that option.

lol half those passes get batted down or intercepted anyways and even when they catch it they get tackled right away. With our super accurate QB we are way better off with receivers who can get a yard or 2 in front of the defender and pick up an extra 10 to 20 after Rodgers delivers a strike. Besides even if we do start throwing passes like that Janis isn't the guy for it Adams is.
thanks Post received 4 applause.
El3ment12 on 5/10/2014(UTC), wpr on 5/11/2014(UTC), Yerko on 5/12/2014(UTC), Dexter_Sinister on 6/9/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:47:16 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

hit them in stride. thats what i like
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Online Mucky Tundra  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:51:02 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 487

I'm having Charles Johnson flashbacks.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 6:57:53 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Goodbye Myles White. Goodbye Kevin Dorsey. Goodbye Chris Harper. Ted Thompson will have to keep 6 WR's unless Abby or Janis totally flames out. Perhaps, they can sneak Janis to PS, but if he shows something they won't risk it.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
DakotaT on 5/10/2014(UTC), play2win on 5/10/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 5/10/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:57:10 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Goodbye Myles White. Goodbye Kevin Dorsey. Goodbye Chris Harper. Ted Thompson will have to keep 6 WR's unless Abby or Janis totally flames out. Perhaps, they can sneak Janis to PS, but if he shows something they won't risk it.

Agree completely. Now, can we go 6 wide?

Holy crap this kid is a gem.
DoddPower on 5/10/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:09:18 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

This will get you salivating... (Better than Alshon Jeffery and Julio Jones?!)

http://rotoviz.com/index...an-nfl-draft-love-story/
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
gbguy20 on 5/11/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:11:58 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 357

The bottom of the 7th!? An absolute steal.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline uffda udfa  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:24:20 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
The bottom of the 7th!? An absolute steal.

I wonder how much being white cost him, if at all? His measurables are fun to think about.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 12:30:39 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,714
Applause Received: 665

I think Kevin Dorsey can play.

This dude seems raw, might need a redshirt year, unless he can return punts. Then again you KNOW at least one of these guys will get injured.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr on 5/11/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 6:46:15 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I think Kevin Dorsey can play.

This dude seems raw, might need a redshirt year, unless he can return punts. Then again you KNOW at least one of these guys will get injured.

He is too raw for the NFL. The weakness listed in his profile are major issues. Defenses will eat him alive until he toughens up.

KR or PS his two most likely options.

Nelson, Jordy
Cobb, Randall
Boykin, Jarrett
Adams, Davante
Abbrederis, Jared
Harper, Chris
White, Myles
Janis, Jeff
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline wpr  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 6:54:06 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

It is not the end of the world if they lose Janis off the PS to another team. Every year GB picks up another promising, speedy WR. He moves on and GB adds another one to the bottom of their depth chart the following year. If he makes the team great. If not I won't even think about him any more. If he turns into something special in a few years after he has had a chance to grow and develop, good for him. I don't mind it if he is learning while on the PS but I don't want to use slot on the 53 man roster for a 6th WR who is inactive every week and will not contribute.
UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 2 applause.
buckeyepackfan on 5/11/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 5/11/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:01:12 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
It is not the end of the world if they lose Janis off the PS to another team. Every year GB picks up another promising, speedy WR. He moves on and GB adds another one to the bottom of their depth chart the following year. If he makes the team great. If not I won't even think about him any more. If he turns into something special in a few years after he has had a chance to grow and develop, good for him. I don't mind it if he is learning while on the PS but I don't want to use slot on the 53 man roster for a 6th WR who is inactive every week and will not contribute.

I did hear Ted say you never know in referencing this logjam at WR. A couple injuries and all of a sudden a team can be in trouble. We will not be in trouble here, and I thought this Janis pick was indeed a steal. Especially with both Nelson and Cobb contracts coming up for monster money.
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:56:46 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I did hear Ted say you never know in referencing this logjam at WR. A couple injuries and all of a sudden a team can be in trouble. We will not be in trouble here, and I thought this Janis pick was indeed a steal. Especially with both Nelson and Cobb contracts coming up for monster money.

absolutely. gotta keep feeding the statwhore machine.
UserPostedImage

nerdmann on 5/11/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2014 11:12:45 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Here's some discouraging thoughts on this kid from some scouts Bob McGinn talked to prior to the draft:

JEFF JANIS, WR, SAGINAW VALLEY STATE

AFC scout: "Big, strong guy. Little straight-line. He's got straight-line speed so he can run by people. But when he starts having to run routes, he struggles a little bit in and out of his breaks."

AFC scout: "He's horrible."

NFC scout: "Free agent. I don't think he's going to be much better than that. He's no Jordy Nelson, all right?"

NFC scout: "He's a good small-school player. Raw."

AFC scout: "He ran real well at the combine but I didn't like him down there in Mobile."

AFC scout: "No, he's not a player. He caught 1,000 passes but he had 1,000 chances, too."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/...80651.html#ixzz31QqLxaYo
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline Yerko  
#17 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 8:46:50 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 263

Second year in a row I put a small school receiver on my Packers draft wish list in the 7th round and he was selected. Hopefully Janis pans out better than Johnson last year (both small school, Michigan players).

I'm not too worried about what other scouts have said about him because its clear what Ted's scouts thought about him to actually take him with a draft pick instead of pursuing him in free agency.

Would be nice if he was able to return punts and kick-offs, if anything, with that straight line speed.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#18 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 8:56:29 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
Second year in a row I put a small school receiver on my Packers draft wish list in the 7th round and he was selected. Hopefully Janis pans out better than Johnson last year (both small school, Michigan players).

I'm not too worried about what other scouts have said about him because its clear what Ted's scouts thought about him to actually take him with a draft pick instead of pursuing him in free agency.

Would be nice if he was able to return punts and kick-offs, if anything, with that straight line speed.

being the return man would be a bonus and move him onto the 53 roster.
UserPostedImage

Offline steveishere  
#19 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 7:06:22 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Some local news coverage of Janis waiting to get drafted.
play2win on 6/12/2014(UTC)
Rss Feed