Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:49:28 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,713
Applause Received: 665

ESPN

Quote:
Perhaps the biggest concern is about Franklin, the fourth-round pick from UCLA who finished his rookie season last year on injured reserve following a neck injury. The Packers are worried that Franklin's neck injury might be career-threatening. According to two people with knowledge of his situation, the Packers are putting Franklin through more tests to determine whether it's safe for him to continue playing.

Sucks man, he's the real deal imo.

This staff needs to get down with reality when it comes to "disc bulges." Don't panic, just get rid of it.

Edit by Zero. This was on the news page 46 minutes ago. 16 minutes earlier than your post. Just a friendly reminder is all. Face. Palm.

Rob Demovsky wrote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- It's one thing for a proven player like Clay Matthews to miss the entire offseason program while recovering from his twice broken thumb.

Matthews has turned in Pro Bowl seasons before while missing major parts of the offseason and training camp because of hamstring injuries.

But for a player like Nick Perry, the Green Bay Packers outside linebacker who has yet to perform like the first-round pick that he was in 2012, the fact that he has been unable to participate in any on-field activities this offseason could prove to be another detriment to his development.

Message modified by moderator Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:20:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:21:33 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Well, I was very excited when we drafted him and he sounds like a fantastic person. I hope he is able to resume his career in GB if he can get healthy. His game against CIN last season was outstanding.
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:47:43 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Well, I was very excited when we drafted him and he sounds like a fantastic person. I hope he is able to resume his career in GB if he can get healthy. His game against CIN last season was outstanding.

Him and Lacy would be the definition of thunder and lightning.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline StarrMax1  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:38:49 PM(UTC)
StarrMax1

United States

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Did The Packers give up on Sherrod after his injury?

What about Richardson?

Seems to me with the rb's already in camp this year that there would be know real hurry or desperation to figure out what to do with Franklin.

IR him for 2014 if he isn't ready to go, and if it is determined he will in time be able to play again.

This is a decision that doesn't have to be made until the end of TC.

The worse scenario is his career is over, the best is he has a full recovery and joins what is now a pretty deep stable of RB's.

Hell with the talent already here this year, might not be a bad idea to put him on IR, and have him come back next year fresh as ever.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Dexter_Sinister on 6/18/2014(UTC), wpr on 6/18/2014(UTC), Yerko on 6/19/2014(UTC)
Online texaspackerbacker  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:01:28 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 482
Applause Received: 292

I see Franklin as the 4th best of the 4 - Lacy, Starks, Harris, and him. Maybe it's selfish as a Packer fan, but I'd rather see him done than go on to a good career with some other team.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline OlHoss1884  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:18:38 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 167

Apparently he didn't stretch
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 6/18/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 6/19/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:56:50 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
Apparently he didn't stretch

You laugh.

Acupuncture would square him away in probably 2-3 weeks. But as far as "stretching," I would recommend TWO forms. Ba Duan Jin: 8 Pieces of Brocade. Basic external qigong. Then also Yi Jin Jing: Muscle Tendon Change. ("Muscle Tendon Transformation.") I am not a qigong master. Just a guy who could barely walk for ten years, went to acupuncture school and is getting back on his feet. Oh yeah, I just walked around the block without a cane 20 minutes ago.

Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:02:10 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

This one has better music. lol
Offline steveishere  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:03:13 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

Yeah, there is no neck injury that could end a football players career as long as they do enough yoga/stretching/acupuncture. Get real, we aren't talking about a guy having to make it around the block we're talking about a guy having to go out there and get his head/neck bashed around by 230-300 lb freight trains of human being over and over again. There is a different level of fitness required for that than there is to being able to go for a walk.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:11:47 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, there is no neck injury that could end a football players career as long as they do enough yoga/stretching/acupuncture. Get real, we aren't talking about a guy having to make it around the block we're talking about a guy having to go out there and get his head/neck bashed around by 230-300 lb freight trains of human being over and over again. There is a different level of fitness required for that than there is to being able to go for a walk.

We don't know what that injury is. I am presuming it's a normal minor bulge in a disc. Like Nick Collins.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:15:00 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
We don't know what that injury is. I am presuming it's a normal minor bulge in a disc. Like Nick Collins.

I was under the impression that it was more than a bulging disk for Collins.

It was ruptured.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline mi_keys  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:41:59 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 227
Applause Received: 359

You're all wrong. The players should go in for bloodletting twice a week. That will ensure the structural integrity of their necks.
Born and bred a cheesehead
wpr on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:52:27 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 669
Applause Received: 1,374

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I see Franklin as the 4th best of the 4 - Lacy, Starks, Harris, and him. Maybe it's selfish as a Packer fan, but I'd rather see him done than go on to a good career with some other team.

Stash him on IR.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:14:58 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
You're all wrong. The players should go in for bloodletting twice a week. That will ensure the structural integrity of their necks.

You laugh. Bloodletting is actually a very powerful technique for sore throat, chronic headaches, etc. No bullshit.

Don't think it would heal a neck though.
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:16:48 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
I was under the impression that it was more than a bulging disk for Collins.

It was ruptured.

No, it was not.

Collins got kicked in the head and temporarily lost feeling in his extremeties. He got feeling back in a short time, but they scanned and found a "bulge" in a disc.

The doctors told him he needed surgery or they wouldn't clear him to play. I do not believe he needed that surgery. But once he had it, they refused to clear him anyway.
Offline mi_keys  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:22:22 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
No, it was not.

Collins got kicked in the head and temporarily lost feeling in his extremeties. He got feeling back in a short time, but they scanned and found a "bulge" in a disc.

The doctors told him he needed surgery or they wouldn't clear him to play. I do not believe he needed that surgery. But once he had it, they refused to clear him anyway.

Google Nick Collins' injury and the majority of articles that come up cite a herniated disc.

Regardless, just as you admit we don't know the full extent or specifics regarding Franklin's injury, we don't know the details of Collins' injury. Yet this hasn't stopped you from trying to speak from a position of authority on it in just about every thread involving injuries.

Collins also wasn't kicked; he lunged at a Panthers running back that hurdled him, unintentionally spearing the running back on the bottom of his upper thigh/rear end.

And regarding your comment about me laughing, you're right. I am. I don't trust bronze age "medicine" that's been shown to be little more than a placebo effect, especially when you're proposing we trust it to ensure the structural integrity of someone's neck when that person's job involves taking repeated, violent shots to the body. That sounds like a recipe for paralysis.
wpr on 6/19/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:28:43 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Google Nick Collins' injury and the majority of articles that come up cite a herniated disc.

Regardless, just as you admit we don't know the full extent or specifics regarding Franklin's injury, we don't know the details of Collins' injury. Yet this hasn't stopped you from trying to speak from a position of authority on it in just about every thread involving injuries.

Collins also wasn't kicked; he lunged at a Panthers running back that hurdled him, unintentionally spearing the running back on the bottom of his upper thigh/rear end.

And regarding your comment about me laughing, you're right. I am. I don't trust bronze age "medicine" that's been shown to be little more than a placebo effect, especially when you're proposing we trust it to ensure the structural integrity of someone's neck when that person's job involves taking repeated, violent shots to the body. That sounds like a recipe for paralysis.

If you want the science behind it all, talk to Dulak. We both have treated many people with the condition successfully.

Offline sschind  
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:57:47 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 450

Kind of reminds me of the old saying "stick a fork in him, he's done" except this one goes "stick a needle in him , he'll be good to go"

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:42:50 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 96
Applause Received: 161

What was the original topic and why is Nick Collins alleged injury (Of which no one here has any real knowledge) the dominant discussion?
Offline mi_keys  
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:51:57 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
What was the original topic and why is Nick Collins alleged injury (Of which no one here has any real knowledge) the dominant discussion?

Franklin's health.
Our collective ADD.
wpr on 6/19/2014(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#21 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:21:10 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Franklin should have stretched his hamstrings more.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:08:42 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,228

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#23 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:10:54 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Franklin's career over

Quote:
Green Bay Packers running back Johnathan Franklin will not return to the team, coach Mike McCarthy said Friday. A neck injury apparently has ended his NFL career.

McCarthy spoke to the media after the final day of minicamp. Here are some highlights:

♦ I have some unfortunate news about (running back) Johnathan Franklin. The organization will address this tomorrow. All the information has come in (on his neck injury). He will not be back with us. I can’t say enough about him as a person. I don’t know. He’s as classy as anyone who’s walked through these doors. His situation will be addressed tomorrow.

(About a half-hour after McCarthy spoke, Franklin tweeted this: "Unfortunately this week I have been ruled out of returning for the 2014/15 season and returning to play in the NFL. But I understand God knows what he is doing and for now he has another platform for me to step upon.")
Offline nerdmann  
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:16:45 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

FUCK.

Maybe it's stenosis.
Offline uffda udfa  
#25 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:41:10 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Very disappointing news. He seemed like such a great guy and played lights out at Cincy minus the big fumble. His goal in life was to be the mayor of LA. Perhaps, he goes into politics now.

This opens the door for one of the UDFA's to make the roster... Neal or Perkins have a shot now. I can't wait to see LaDarius Perkins in preseason knowing he has a legit opportunity to stick.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Rss Feed