Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
6 Pages123>»

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:14:36 AM(UTC)
If you were a general manager of a team, with the assumption that you could focus on building either a bone crushing defense or a highlight reel type of offense, which would be your area of concentration?

Assume if you build your one core elite, that the other phase of the team would be average.
Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:23:53 AM(UTC)
Me personally.. I would focus my efforts on the defensive side of the ball for a couple of reasons.

1) The obvious one, reducing the other teams points would allow you to remain in a greater percentage of games.

2) A top defense will lead to point of its own.

3) I believe a strong defense will lead to greater longevity of a team vs a high octane offense.

4) I love me some good ol' fashion butt kick'n defensive play.

There are tons more I am sure.. just getting the ball rolling..
4PackGirl  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:58:48 AM(UTC)
i too enjoy grind em out type of games so for me, the D is GREAT! int's are even more exciting to me than the long pass. so yeah, defense is where i'd put my dinero.
Greg C.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:33:50 PM(UTC)
I'm going with defense. It seems like a good defense is less likely to go into a slump than a good offense. And in recent years, great defense has won more Super Bowls than great offense.
Yerko  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:50:04 PM(UTC)
I would take a top 5 defense anyday. Great defense wins championships.
WhiskeySam  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:54:19 PM(UTC)
Give me the O. As Sid Gillman once said, "Why run for three when you can pass for thirty?"

Great D's dont win titles. Balanced teams win titles. Look at the Ravens and Bucs for the last two decades. One title each even though they were the dominant defenses in the league. It wasn't until their offenses got it together that they won. The Steelers of the 70s best defense was the year they didn't win the Super Bowl. When you look at championship teams, they have balance on both sides of the ball.
ILikeThePackers39  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:54:58 PM(UTC)
Defense, easy -- too many examples of teams w/ great defense and lousy-to-middling offense succeeding not to vote that way (Ravens, anyone?).
WhiskeySam  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:01:46 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense, easy -- too many examples of teams w/ great defense and lousy-to-middling offense succeeding not to vote that way (Ravens, anyone?).


The year the Ravens won, their offense was 16th, but their rushing offense was 5th in the league.
walleye  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:08:25 PM(UTC)
DEFENSE .
yooperfan  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:13:00 PM(UTC)
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.
walleye  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:15:18 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.

:physassult: :physassult: Yes STUFF THE HOLE!!
wpr  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:21:06 PM(UTC)
Defense. I agree with UP Fan, If the other team does not score you will increase your odds of winning.
Packnic  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:33:17 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.



the only exception would be ... if you dont score you dont win.


everyone keeps bringing the Ravens up. but really they only won 1 SB with that killer defense, while San Fran, New England and Dallas won multiple multiple SBs in a row with innovative offensive schemes. WCO, Dink and Dunk, and the Big 3.


I would typically say Defense because of all the reason listed above, but also a great D with a weak O leads to a lot of close games that in this day and age are harder to close out with defense. Personally i would rather be in a situation to put my offense on the field in a 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter than rely on my defense. That way you are dictating your own outcome rather than reacting to the opponent.

Plus overall i think a great offense trumps a great defense any day, because you always have the advantage of knowing whats coming. A good offense is able to evolve and adapt making it harder to figure out defensively. You have a better chance of adding wrinkles and formations to a great offense than you do to a defense... making it harder to figure out. every base defense has a weakness... so when your QB comes to the line you line... he has the advantage of adding audibles a defense wont suspect.

So my answer is... as long as its an innovative, evolving top 5 offense with an average defense. id take that. Sorry this was long... i just love topics like this.
Pack93z  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:42:14 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.



the only exception would be ... if you dont score you dont win.


everyone keeps bringing the Ravens up. but really they only won 1 SB with that killer defense, while San Fran, New England and Dallas won multiple multiple SBs in a row with innovative offensive schemes. WCO, Dink and Dunk, and the Big 3.


I would typically say Defense because of all the reason listed above, but also a great D with a weak O leads to a lot of close games that in this day and age are harder to close out with defense. Personally i would rather be in a situation to put my offense on the field in a 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter than rely on my defense. That way you are dictating your own outcome rather than reacting to the opponent.

Plus overall i think a great offense trumps a great defense any day, because you always have the advantage of knowing whats coming. A good offense is able to evolve and adapt making it harder to figure out defensively. You have a better chance of adding wrinkles and formations to a great offense than you do to a defense... making it harder to figure out. every base defense has a weakness... so when your QB comes to the line you line... he has the advantage of adding audibles a defense wont suspect.

So my answer is... as long as its an innovative, evolving top 5 offense with an average defense. id take that. Sorry this was long... i just love topics like this.


That right there.. even if I don't agree with the philosophy is the reason I stick around on these boards.. well besides a laugh here and there.

A look into the mind of another fan with the detailed thoughts on why they believe it to be as such.
WhiskeySam  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:45:34 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.



the only exception would be ... if you dont score you dont win.


everyone keeps bringing the Ravens up. but really they only won 1 SB with that killer defense, while San Fran, New England and Dallas won multiple multiple SBs in a row with innovative offensive schemes. WCO, Dink and Dunk, and the Big 3.


I would typically say Defense because of all the reason listed above, but also a great D with a weak O leads to a lot of close games that in this day and age are harder to close out with defense. Personally i would rather be in a situation to put my offense on the field in a 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter than rely on my defense. That way you are dictating your own outcome rather than reacting to the opponent.

Plus overall i think a great offense trumps a great defense any day, because you always have the advantage of knowing whats coming. A good offense is able to evolve and adapt making it harder to figure out defensively. You have a better chance of adding wrinkles and formations to a great offense than you do to a defense... making it harder to figure out. every base defense has a weakness... so when your QB comes to the line you line... he has the advantage of adding audibles a defense wont suspect.

So my answer is... as long as its an innovative, evolving top 5 offense with an average defense. id take that. Sorry this was long... i just love topics like this.


Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.
Trippster  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:58:32 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.


I wounder 4 if there pack is anyone around here girl that would passionately agree or disagree.
Packnic  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:02:23 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.



thats a great example. i would love to have a great defense, and its proven to win games and championships. but if you had to pick just one, I would pick being the aggressor rather than reading and reacting.
4PackGirl  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:08:18 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.


I wounder 4 if there pack is anyone around here girl that would passionately agree or disagree.


HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tee hee. :birdman:
IronMan  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:09:42 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.



thats a great example. i would love to have a great defense, and its proven to win games and championships. but if you had to pick just one, I would pick being the aggressor rather than reading and reacting.

What people forget though, is St Louis had a really good defense that year too. The Bucs allowed 235 points that year(3rd in the NFL), and the Rams allowed 242(4th in the NFL).
Packnic  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:13:46 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post
" said: Go to Quoted Post

Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.



thats a great example. i would love to have a great defense, and its proven to win games and championships. but if you had to pick just one, I would pick being the aggressor rather than reading and reacting.

What people forget though, is St Louis had a really good defense that year too. The Bucs allowed 235 points that year(3rd in the NFL), and the Rams allowed 242(4th in the NFL).



you know thats another great point. the same can be said for the Cowboys and Patriots dynasties. Those were also great defenses.

So maybe its those great, yet underrated defenses that made the offenses able to do what they did. Or maybe the offenses by keeping the D fresh made the D better. well now im confused.


I think the best answers is C.) Both
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
6 Pages123>»
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
rabidgopher04 (3h) : It sure is quiet in Packersland right now. Very unfamiliar feeling.
yooperfan (12h) : The Packers have played the same game over the years.Teams just don't want to tip their hand.
Smokey (19-Jan) : Patriots playing the "Is Brady injured game", so open and transparent, NOT !
Mucky Tundra (19-Jan) : YEAH LETS GO!! Psst where are we going?
Zero2Cool (19-Jan) : LETS GO!!!
Mucky Tundra (18-Jan) : Fans wondered what he was smoking
Mucky Tundra (18-Jan) : Funny talk about Watkins, LeRoy Butler suggested a trade for him a few years ago on FB
Zero2Cool (17-Jan) : Report: Landry wants Davante Adams-type deal -
Zero2Cool (17-Jan) : Packers bring in Sammy Watkins, you will ALL shite your pants
buckeyepackfan (17-Jan) : How long till we here the fire alarms go off in the middle of the night !!!
buckeyepackfan (17-Jan) : cheatin' bastards!!!! :)
Zero2Cool (16-Jan) : Patriots have no end to what they'll do for a win!
Zero2Cool (16-Jan) : RB Leonard Fournette was involved in a minor accident today when his car was rear-ended.
Zero2Cool (16-Jan) : Packers safeties coach Darren Perry interviewing with Texans
Zero2Cool (15-Jan) : Damarious Randall has hand surgery
Cheesey (15-Jan) : Man, talk about dumb luck. The Saints defense on that last play looked like the Packers D.
Zero2Cool (15-Jan) : "Skol Vikings!" It is the team's Viking war chant ... Inspired by Iceland's national soccer team
Zero2Cool (15-Jan) : Packers not playing sure makes playoff weekend less tense.
Nonstopdrivel (15-Jan) : I am slowly recovering from cardiac arrest. What an ending. What a freaking ending!
Mucky Tundra (15-Jan) : DONT BLOW THIS NEW ORLEANS
Smokey (14-Jan) : The"CHAT" is very open !
Zero2Cool (14-Jan) : Damn Saints giving them the game
Nonstopdrivel (14-Jan) : Mariota just ran up the white flag.
Zero2Cool (14-Jan) : Titans OL not too good without Conklin
KRK (13-Jan) : Schwartz defense looking very porous
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : Get yo asses in the chat room, mofrackers!
Smokey (13-Jan) : YES, CHAT
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : Anyone going to be in the chat room for the game?
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : As much as I'd love to experience playoff football, I'm not interested in paying that kind of money to go by myself.
Rockmolder (13-Jan) : Are you thinking about going?
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : Last I checked, there are still tickets available. And they're not too bad: $145 on up.
Nonstopdrivel (13-Jan) : The temps around here are dropping fast and the wind is kicking up. I wonder if that will favor Philly.
Rockmolder (13-Jan) : You'd hope that something will happen before march and the FA window opening.
beast (12-Jan) : I believe the Packers did file a grievance to get the non-2017 signing bonus money back, but I haven't heard when the grievance will be heard
Rockmolder (11-Jan) : In terms of bonus money and that $4.2 million cap hit in 2018.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2017 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
SEAHAWKS
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 7:30 PM
at Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 3:25 PM
BENGALS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Oct 8 @ 3:25 PM
at Cowboys
Sunday, Oct 15 @ 12:00 PM
at Vikings
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 AM
- BYE -
Monday, Nov 6 @ 7:30 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
at Bears
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
RAVENS
Sunday, Nov 26 @ 7:30 PM
at Steelers
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 10 @ 12:00 PM
at Browns
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
at Panthers
Saturday, Dec 23 @ 7:30 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 12:00 PM
at Lions
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

10h / Around The NFL / Rockmolder

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / isocleas2

18-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

18-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Jan / Fantasy Sports Talk / TheKanataThrilla

17-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / isocleas2

17-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Jan / Fantasy Sports Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

15-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

Headlines