Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
8 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:14:36 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 1,097

If you were a general manager of a team, with the assumption that you could focus on building either a bone crushing defense or a highlight reel type of offense, which would be your area of concentration?

Assume if you build your one core elite, that the other phase of the team would be average.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:23:53 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Me personally.. I would focus my efforts on the defensive side of the ball for a couple of reasons.

1) The obvious one, reducing the other teams points would allow you to remain in a greater percentage of games.

2) A top defense will lead to point of its own.

3) I believe a strong defense will lead to greater longevity of a team vs a high octane offense.

4) I love me some good ol' fashion butt kick'n defensive play.

There are tons more I am sure.. just getting the ball rolling..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline 4PackGirl  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:58:48 AM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 161
Applause Received: 124

i too enjoy grind em out type of games so for me, the D is GREAT! int's are even more exciting to me than the long pass. so yeah, defense is where i'd put my dinero.
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:33:50 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

I'm going with defense. It seems like a good defense is less likely to go into a slump than a good offense. And in recent years, great defense has won more Super Bowls than great offense.
blank
Offline Yerko  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:50:04 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 164
Applause Received: 269

I would take a top 5 defense anyday. Great defense wins championships.
UserPostedImage
Offline WhiskeySam  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:54:19 PM(UTC)
WhiskeySam

Applause Received: 1

Give me the O. As Sid Gillman once said, "Why run for three when you can pass for thirty?"

Great D's dont win titles. Balanced teams win titles. Look at the Ravens and Bucs for the last two decades. One title each even though they were the dominant defenses in the league. It wasn't until their offenses got it together that they won. The Steelers of the 70s best defense was the year they didn't win the Super Bowl. When you look at championship teams, they have balance on both sides of the ball.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:54:58 PM(UTC)
ILikeThePackers39

Defense, easy -- too many examples of teams w/ great defense and lousy-to-middling offense succeeding not to vote that way (Ravens, anyone?).
blank
Offline WhiskeySam  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:01:46 PM(UTC)
WhiskeySam

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Defense, easy -- too many examples of teams w/ great defense and lousy-to-middling offense succeeding not to vote that way (Ravens, anyone?).

The year the Ravens won, their offense was 16th, but their rushing offense was 5th in the league.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Offline walleye  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:08:25 PM(UTC)
walleye

DEFENSE .
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Offline yooperfan  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:13:00 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 672
Applause Received: 320

Defense!
There is nothing better than stuffing the hole.
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.
Offline walleye  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:15:18 PM(UTC)
walleye

Defense!
If they can't score they can't win, if there is an exception to that, I don't know about it.

:physassult: :physassult: Yes STUFF THE HOLE!!
UserPostedImage
Here Fishy Fishy
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:21:06 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,232
Applause Received: 1,554

Defense. I agree with UP Fan, If the other team does not score you will increase your odds of winning.
UserPostedImage
Offline Packnic  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:33:17 PM(UTC)
Packnic

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 6

Defense!

the only exception would be ... if you dont score you dont win.

everyone keeps bringing the Ravens up. but really they only won 1 SB with that killer defense, while San Fran, New England and Dallas won multiple multiple SBs in a row with innovative offensive schemes. WCO, Dink and Dunk, and the Big 3.

I would typically say Defense because of all the reason listed above, but also a great D with a weak O leads to a lot of close games that in this day and age are harder to close out with defense. Personally i would rather be in a situation to put my offense on the field in a 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter than rely on my defense. That way you are dictating your own outcome rather than reacting to the opponent.

Plus overall i think a great offense trumps a great defense any day, because you always have the advantage of knowing whats coming. A good offense is able to evolve and adapt making it harder to figure out defensively. You have a better chance of adding wrinkles and formations to a great offense than you do to a defense... making it harder to figure out. every base defense has a weakness... so when your QB comes to the line you line... he has the advantage of adding audibles a defense wont suspect.

So my answer is... as long as its an innovative, evolving top 5 offense with an average defense. id take that. Sorry this was long... i just love topics like this.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:42:14 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Defense!

everyone keeps bringing the Ravens up. but really they only won 1 SB with that killer defense, while San Fran, New England and Dallas won multiple multiple SBs in a row with innovative offensive schemes. WCO, Dink and Dunk, and the Big 3.

I would typically say Defense because of all the reason listed above, but also a great D with a weak O leads to a lot of close games that in this day and age are harder to close out with defense. Personally i would rather be in a situation to put my offense on the field in a 2 minute drill in the 4th quarter than rely on my defense. That way you are dictating your own outcome rather than reacting to the opponent.

Plus overall i think a great offense trumps a great defense any day, because you always have the advantage of knowing whats coming. A good offense is able to evolve and adapt making it harder to figure out defensively. You have a better chance of adding wrinkles and formations to a great offense than you do to a defense... making it harder to figure out. every base defense has a weakness... so when your QB comes to the line you line... he has the advantage of adding audibles a defense wont suspect.

So my answer is... as long as its an innovative, evolving top 5 offense with an average defense. id take that. Sorry this was long... i just love topics like this.

That right there.. even if I don't agree with the philosophy is the reason I stick around on these boards.. well besides a laugh here and there.

A look into the mind of another fan with the detailed thoughts on why they believe it to be as such.

UserPostedImage
Offline WhiskeySam  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:45:34 PM(UTC)
WhiskeySam

Defense!

Very well put. A good example of this was the Rams win over the Bucs to go to the Supr Bowl. #1 D vs #1 O. #1 O by a nose.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Rss Feed